Rhodes got burned

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Rhodes got burned

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote:
Texas Vike wrote: Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.
Speaking of that 4th-and-10, I am still shocked that was completed so easily. The Vikes had the Saints right where they wanted them and are normally very tough to convert on 3rd-and-7 or longer, so I thought the Saints were cooked on that play.

I expected them to send an extra man after Brees to ensure a throw short of the sticks and then all the defender in coverage would have to do is make the tackle and the game would be over. Instead, the Vikes seemingly sat back in coverage, rushed only 4, and as a result, Brees had plenty of time to let the deeper routes develop and the DBs seemed content with letting the deeper routes develop uncontested. I didn't see all the routes or defenders on the play, but every Saint receiver should have been manned up at the LOS and bumped as soon as possible after the snap. With an extra rusher and all routes disrupted/contested immediately after the snap, Brees and the Saints would have needed a miracle to get more than 5 yards on any throw. This game was a home game, very loud crowd noise at that point, and the defense should have the moxie to go out there and snuff that out and end the game. Amazing, and almost disturbing, passiveness there and it really should have cost them.
Completely agree on this point. It was CRAZY loud at this point. Honestly, what I can remember from the game is that we simply didn't look ready. Our D looked gassed and a bit chaotic. If we had lost because of not getting a stop on 4th a 10, I'd have been really disappointed.

I was mistaken. It wasn't a TE; it was Snead who burned Alexander. He was the WR that was wide open on the previous drive when they dialed up a flea flicker on 3rd and 1 and the RB simply over threw the ball.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The Saints are a great offense with that
two headed monster at running back and
Thomas .. Pittsburg might be the only
better offensive weapon loaded team.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Texas Vike wrote:
VikingLord wrote:
Texas Vike wrote: Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.
Speaking of that 4th-and-10, I am still shocked that was completed so easily. The Vikes had the Saints right where they wanted them and are normally very tough to convert on 3rd-and-7 or longer, so I thought the Saints were cooked on that play.

I expected them to send an extra man after Brees to ensure a throw short of the sticks and then all the defender in coverage would have to do is make the tackle and the game would be over. Instead, the Vikes seemingly sat back in coverage, rushed only 4, and as a result, Brees had plenty of time to let the deeper routes develop and the DBs seemed content with letting the deeper routes develop uncontested. I didn't see all the routes or defenders on the play, but every Saint receiver should have been manned up at the LOS and bumped as soon as possible after the snap. With an extra rusher and all routes disrupted/contested immediately after the snap, Brees and the Saints would have needed a miracle to get more than 5 yards on any throw. This game was a home game, very loud crowd noise at that point, and the defense should have the moxie to go out there and snuff that out and end the game. Amazing, and almost disturbing, passiveness there and it really should have cost them.
Completely agree on this point. It was CRAZY loud at this point. Honestly, what I can remember from the game is that we simply didn't look ready. Our D looked gassed and a bit chaotic. If we had lost because of not getting a stop on 4th a 10, I'd have been really disappointed.

I was mistaken. It wasn't a TE; it was Snead who burned Alexander. He was the WR that was wide open on the previous drive when they dialed up a flea flicker on 3rd and 1 and the RB simply over threw the ball.
Nevermind...Read that wrong.
Last edited by PacificNorseWest on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Thor88 wrote:I haven't posted in forever on here, I'm really concerned that Rhodes seemingly got torched by Michael Thomas in the second half for 2 TDs doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it.
Rhodes only gave up 1 TD against Thomas. Newman was in coverage against Thomas on the other TD. In fact, Thomas was only 3 for 8 for 46 yards and 1 TD against Rhodes. And as TexasVike pointed out, Rhodes was in beast mode the last drive. Not his best game, but certainly not a horrible one.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Watched the end of the game again...That last Saints drive, Saints went to Thomas the first 3 plays and Rhodes shut him down each time to set up that 4th and 10 that the Saints ultimately converted. He's fine. :D
Thor88
Practice Squad

Post by Thor88 »

Purple Domination wrote:
Thor88 wrote:I haven't posted in forever on here, I'm really concerned that Rhodes seemingly got torched by Michael Thomas in the second half for 2 TDs doesn't seem like anyone is talking about it.
Rhodes only gave up 1 TD against Thomas. Newman was in coverage against Thomas on the other TD. In fact, Thomas was only 3 for 8 for 46 yards and 1 TD against Rhodes. And as TexasVike pointed out, Rhodes was in beast mode the last drive. Not his best game, but certainly not a horrible one.
I could have sworn it was rhodes on the 2nd TD as well when i was watching, if i was wrong i guess it was a whole lot of nothing but he's gotta keep his head in the game
JDLon
Rookie

Post by JDLon »

Definitely Newman on the second TD - if memory serves think Rhodes was off the field at the time. First he lost his head after the Sendejo hit..

as others have mentioned though Brees went to his no.1 weapon three times in a row when he needed him and Rhodes (with a bit of help from Smith admittedly) shut it down - game was won there if Alexander didn't get burned in man coverage on the 4-10.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

JDLon wrote:Definitely Newman on the second TD - if memory serves think Rhodes was off the field at the time. First he lost his head after the Sendejo hit..

as others have mentioned though Brees went to his no.1 weapon three times in a row when he needed him and Rhodes (with a bit of help from Smith admittedly) shut it down - game was won there if Alexander didn't get burned in man coverage on the 4-10.
IIRC, Newman barely moved and Thomas was in the end zone already. It was brutal, and Zimmer should have used a better matchup on that one, IMO.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
JDLon wrote:Definitely Newman on the second TD - if memory serves think Rhodes was off the field at the time. First he lost his head after the Sendejo hit..

IIRC, Newman barely moved and Thomas was in the end zone already. It was brutal, and Zimmer should have used a better matchup on that one, IMO.

Yes. Rhodes got hurt and came out on the previous play. I knew as soon as I saw Brees within 10 yards of the end zone against a Rhodes-less secondary that we were screwed.

Foles isn't Brees. This matchup is going to be very different. I really hope Sendejo is able to play; we need him.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Rhodes got emotional and heated over the cheap shot Thomas took on Sandejo that gave him a concussion, but was a non-call by the refs. Zimmer eventually had to calm him down.

Rhodes will be fine. You can't get too down on a guy for rallying to his teammate like that. Would you want your teammate to just be ho-hum if that happened to you right in front of him like that? That was a critical juncture in the game as losing Sandejo is what lead to our defense being more porous that it had been to that point. (never thought I'd write that sentence...)

Thomas also took some shots at Rhodes and even went at it with him on Twitter. Funny thing, Patrick Petersen came to Rhodes defense mocking Thomas for his otherwise lack-luster performance.

Thomas is officially my least favorite current Saints player, he has officially earned a place in their long standing tradition of cheap shot artists.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

Texas Vike wrote:I understand the concern, because we are not used to seeing ANYONE beat Rhodes, ever, much less twice.

Go back and watch the last Saints' drive though. Rhodes was in beast mode. He swatted one pass away and defended another with blanket protection. It was Mac Alexander that got torched (by a TE no less) on that 4th and 10. The fact that Rhodes played so well on that last drive makes me feel better about his potential injury issue.

I think Rhodes lost his composure against Thomas. He got out-Xaviered by him. Thomas was trying to get in his face and be very physical. Rhodes let it get in his head and it impeded him from playing his best ball.
True enough. I had concerns about Rhodes getting beat by Thomas several times, though a few of Thomas's catches were against other defenders (including the second TD when Rhodes went out after getting shaken up near the 3-yard line, and Thomas made a play against Newman). On his one TD against Rhodes, Thomas just accelerated past him right off the line on a sharp slant and Rhodes was about a foot away from knocking the ball away. Rhodes definitely looked sharp on that last drive. Alexander, on the other hand, was beat at least twice fairly badly -- including the 4th down play.