Who Dat Say They Gonna Be Them Vikes

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Who Dat Say They Gonna Be Them Vikes

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

nola4ever wrote:I agree with just about everything said here. The word in Nola is that the coaches were frantic about a potential pass interference penalty, so they kept warning everyone to do whatever they could do to avoid it. All the interviews I've seen with Marcus suggest that he headed for the receiver, and upon realizing that his timing was off, ducked away at the last minute to avoid a PI call. In the process, he also knocked Lattimore down, and Diggs (after making an acrobatic catch) was able to make the play. Initially, some Saints fans were angry with him, but they neglected to realize that his key INT got us back into the game. In 2009, we seemed to have an unexplainable magic, and I see the same thing happening with the Vikes this year. I agree. It was bad coaching by Payton and a rookie mistake by Williams, but you guys capitalized on it, and you deserve the win. I'm heartbroken over the loss, but I'm excited for you guys. SKOL!
Once again, this is some solid reporting and astute analysis. Wish you were a Vikings fan!

Seriously though, I think the coaches' message was wrong. To my mind, it should have been "let them catch the ball, then tackle them" ... not "don't get flagged." In my experience, whenever you teach to a negative, you run a bigger risk of achieving the negative. Talk to the positive. Tell players what TO do, not what NOT to do.

Also, what was going on schematically? The Vikings had four receivers in the route. McKinnon stayed in to help with protection. Three receivers -- Diggs, Wright and Rudolph -- were to the right side, with Thielen to the left. Rudolph ran his route about 7 yards and headed to the sideline. He was never going to get the ball, but a Saints defender followed him. The Saints doubled Thielen. So we're at four rushers, someone covering Rudolph, and two covering Thielen. Doing the math, that should have left 4 more defenders. But only TWO Saints, Williams and Lattimore, were in the vicinity of Diggs and Wright. Where were the other two guys?

Anyway, I suppose it's easy to armchair quarterback four days after the fact. It just seems like the coaching staff dropped the ball on this, both schematically and from a communication standpoint.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
nola4ever
Practice Squad

Post by nola4ever »

I agree, but then I think about the fact that you guys put up 17 points and held us to 0 for almost three quarters. You guys fought and fought. And then, you held Kamara on 3rd and 1 (a Herculean task considering how elusive Kamara is). We get that first down, and the game is over. The media keeps calling the win a miracle, but you guys put yourselves in the position for a miracle to be possible. I love the Saints, and as I said, I'm still heartbroken after almost a week. But it irritates me that they keep calling it a miracle--implying that you guys somehow didn't deserve the win. It's nonsense. You guys deserved it.
nola4ever
Practice Squad

Post by nola4ever »

I AM a Vikings fan now! They are now my favorite team, except when they play the Saints :)
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Welcome to the family brother!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

nola4ever wrote:I agree, but then I think about the fact that you guys put up 17 points and held us to 0 for almost three quarters. You guys fought and fought. And then, you held Kamara on 3rd and 1 (a Herculean task considering how elusive Kamara is). We get that first down, and the game is over. The media keeps calling the win a miracle, but you guys put yourselves in the position for a miracle to be possible. I love the Saints, and as I said, I'm still heartbroken after almost a week. But it irritates me that they keep calling it a miracle--implying that you guys somehow didn't deserve the win. It's nonsense. You guys deserved it.
I think they're calling it that based on how improbable it was given the field position and time remaining. I don't know how many people (even us die-hards) truly expected Keenum to drive 45 yards in 25 seconds.

It never ceases to amaze me how many teams decide to plow ahead at Linval Joseph on third-and-short. A bold strategy I hope continues.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

nola4ever wrote:I agree, but then I think about the fact that you guys put up 17 points and held us to 0 for almost three quarters. You guys fought and fought. And then, you held Kamara on 3rd and 1 (a Herculean task considering how elusive Kamara is). We get that first down, and the game is over. The media keeps calling the win a miracle, but you guys put yourselves in the position for a miracle to be possible. I love the Saints, and as I said, I'm still heartbroken after almost a week. But it irritates me that they keep calling it a miracle--implying that you guys somehow didn't deserve the win. It's nonsense. You guys deserved it.

Very cool to read a Saints' fan recognize this. :appl:

Some of the "miracle" talk is from casual fans who simply didn't watch the first 3 quarters of the game.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote:

Very cool to read a Saints' fan recognize this. :appl:

Some of the "miracle" talk is from casual fans who simply didn't watch the first 3 quarters of the game.
Well, I would consider the play itself a miracle. That just doesn't happen to the Vikings. I Would argue something like that hasn't happened for any Minnesota team since Favre in '09, and in postseason play since the Wild in 2003 against Colorado. But nola4ever is right, the Vikings didn't quit and they put themselves in position for the play to be possible.
I just hope we didn't use up all of our good luck too early!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

nola4ever wrote:I AM a Vikings fan now! They are now my favorite team, except when they play the Saints :)
Posts like these almost make me rethink my dislike for NO. I'll reserve final judgement for when Sean Payton is gone though.

Sean Payton making Saints NFL's most hated team this side of Patriots

When he's gone, I might... might think about not disliking them any longer.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Texas Vike wrote:
Well, I would consider the play itself a miracle. That just doesn't happen to the Vikings. I Would argue something like that hasn't happened for any Minnesota team since Favre in '09, and in postseason play since the Wild in 2003 against Colorado. But nola4ever is right, the Vikings didn't quit and they put themselves in position for the play to be possible.
I just hope we didn't use up all of our good luck too early!
The point is, the Vikings didn't win this game only due to being lucky. I'm not fond of the media spin that depicts us as unworthy winners of that game. The Vikings dominated the game for 3 quarters and should have been up by at least 20 to 23 points by the time things went south.

Lady fortune is a fickle dame; but there is just something about the collective spirit of this team that seems to make its own luck. :v):
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

To the OP, you are a true gentleman and honorable adversary. I salute you.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

This has been my point all week. Yes, Williams should have been coached in situational football and taken a PI call to force fifty yard fg. The odds on that kick drop considerably after making one only a minute before. And for every flawless play a rookie makes in high pressure games he gets closer to an error.

However, Diggs TD didn't win the game, it ended it. That TD is worthless without all the points, tackles, INTS, blown coverages, missed tackles, FGs and third down stops which came before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Yeah, the last play of the game was not a miracle... it was a perfectly executed, planned play, with an excellent in the moment reaction by Diggs to run to the end zone, instead of out of bounds.

Now, if Case got hit as he threw, the ball then hit a Saints player in the helmet, bounced to one side and Adam Thielen caught it on a shoestring, staggered forward, then lateraled it to Jerick McKinnon who then ran towards the end zone with time expired, only to get hit at the goal line, fumbling the ball straight up in the air and having it land on a fallen Stefon Diggs in the end zone.... THAT would be a "miracle".

:banana:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
SkolScot
Practice Squad

Post by SkolScot »

soflavike wrote:Yeah, the last play of the game was not a miracle... it was a perfectly executed, planned play, with an excellent in the moment reaction by Diggs to run to the end zone, instead of out of bounds.

Now, if Case got hit as he threw, the ball then hit a Saints player in the helmet, bounced to one side and Adam Thielen caught it on a shoestring, staggered forward, then lateraled it to Jerick McKinnon who then ran towards the end zone with time expired, only to get hit at the goal line, fumbling the ball straight up in the air and having it land on a fallen Stefon Diggs in the end zone.... THAT would be a "miracle".

:banana:
Well said, pal. But I still have a Minneapolis Miracle wallpaper on my phone atm so what do I know.

Gary

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

nola4ever wrote:He was asked about it in the press conference, and he said he was simply having some playoff fun. As a Saints fan, it still bothered me, though. It's simply not indicative of the spirit of our city. Last year, at the Dome, we were getting pummelled by the Lions, and we started buying a bunch of their fans drinks. We took pics with them and even gave them recommendations for good restaurants. We love the Saints, but we love people more.
Great anecdote. Would much rather be playing the NFC Championship game in Nola on Sunday than Philly. I'm going with a fairly big group (including a couple of pretty big dudes), so I think we'll be okay, but would much prefer to be in a stadium with opposing fans I could go out for a drink with after the game, win or lose. Plus, I always have a hell of a good time in Nola. Can't say the same thing about Philly. Nola is know for partying, jazz, Hurricanes (though the Monsoon at Port of Call is much better than any Hurricane), and Mardi Gras. Philly is known for cheesesteak (meh), throwing batteries at Santa Claus, and being completely classless to opposing fans. Gawd I hope we come out with a win. Would be a lot more optimistic but for our second half showing against the Saints.
nola4ever
Practice Squad

Post by nola4ever »

Yeah., the Philly fans can't compete with you guys in terms of class. On Sunday, I'm pulling for the Vikes with the same enthusiasm I demonstrate for the Saints. I'm even thinking of buying a Vikes jersey for the occasion :)