How much is Case Keenum worth?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Does Keenum have to accept a franchise tag? Or can the Vikings just do it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

fiestavike wrote:
Cliff wrote:I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/
I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.
Gotcha. In my mind offering him 6-5 million will be as good as letting him walk especially if the Vikings win the super bowl and he plays well.

The lowest paid starting QBs (outside of Keenum who didn't come in making "starter" money) are nearly all rookies. Otherwise, Bradford is averaging 17.5 million a year, asn an example. Even Tyrod Taylor is making 15.2 million a year. Case Keenum is going to want to start after this year and he'll want starter money when he does.

If we don't keep Bradford it would be easy to shift his money to Keenum, I think, so I'd be ok with bumping him up to Bradford's pay. *Especially* if he proves that the Vikings can win a super bowl with him at quarterback.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pretty sure the Vikes can just do it. Then Case can either accept, or take a year off.

The Vikes havent had a good QB in a long time. Teddy may have been one with a better Oline, and not such bad luck with his knee. Case is one. He does a few things wrong from time to time. We have talked about it here. But I really like his pocket awareness, his mobility in the pocket, his leadership, and his trust in his receivers. If we draft a first rounder expecting him to play right away at the QB spot, Im afraid a lot will be disappointed. Signing Case should be priority #1 in the offseason, no matter how the season goes. I dont see any other option. Im afraid Teddy will be signed by someone else, and I am hoping some other team gets Sam. That means Case as starter, Slotter as backup, and hopefully a good find in the draft on a rookie QB.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Cliff wrote:
Gotcha. In my mind offering him 6-5 million will be as good as letting him walk especially if the Vikings win the super bowl and he plays well.

The lowest paid starting QBs (outside of Keenum who didn't come in making "starter" money) are nearly all rookies. Otherwise, Bradford is averaging 17.5 million a year, asn an example. Even Tyrod Taylor is making 15.2 million a year. Case Keenum is going to want to start after this year and he'll want starter money when he does.

If we don't keep Bradford it would be easy to shift his money to Keenum, I think, so I'd be ok with bumping him up to Bradford's pay. *Especially* if he proves that the Vikings can win a super bowl with him at quarterback.
I will concede all those points to you. I still think if Case gets paid starter money, it won't come with a long term commitment by the team (any team, and any guaranteed money will be up front) and teams will be signing him as a bridge, and he'll bounce around the league, often in less than ideal situations. If he flounders at the first stop, he won't get paid starter money again anyway, just high end backup money. Meanwhile, if signs for high end backup money that escalates to low end starter money if he is actually starting, he could find a home, with a good team, good weapons, and have sustained success. I think he will longterm make much more taking a deal like that, but his agent will probably steer him toward the shortsighted fast money.

I'll also say, If the vikings franchise Case Keenum, he will only be a bridge here. Teddy, Sloter, a draft pick or a free agent, will replace him after that one big payday. Could work out for Case if he plays well, but if he regresses or gets injured, he'll once again wind up making far less than if he took a deal like I would propose to him.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Pretty sure the Vikes can just do it. Then Case can either accept, or take a year off.

The Vikes havent had a good QB in a long time. Teddy may have been one with a better Oline, and not such bad luck with his knee. Case is one. He does a few things wrong from time to time. We have talked about it here. But I really like his pocket awareness, his mobility in the pocket, his leadership, and his trust in his receivers. If we draft a first rounder expecting him to play right away at the QB spot, Im afraid a lot will be disappointed. Signing Case should be priority #1 in the offseason, no matter how the season goes. I dont see any other option. Im afraid Teddy will be signed by someone else, and I am hoping some other team gets Sam. That means Case as starter, Slotter as backup, and hopefully a good find in the draft on a rookie QB.
Here is my fear for next season if we don't sign Case Keenum, we beat the Eagles and then go on to beat Brady and the Pats, effectively ending Brady's career. The Eagles jettison Nick Foles and we fail to sign Keenum, Bradford or Bridgewater. Bridgewater heads to the Eagles to back up Wentz. Bradford leaves with Shurmer to QB in NY. And Case Keenum gets signed by the Patriots. Nick Foles then signs with the Vikings for 1 year, $2mil.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Percy, are you wanting to sign him to a multi-year deal or franchise him?
Multi year. Somewhere in the 15-20 mill range. Hard to say until we see how the rest of the playoffs go
What do you think it would cost to sign Bradford or Bridgewater to a deal of comparable length?
Teddy will be miles and miles cheaper. Bradford could command 15 or so. Maybe less because of the knee issues.
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Teddy will be miles and miles cheaper. Bradford could command 10 or so. Maybe less because of the knee issues.
I also think Teddy is probably thankful to the Vikings and might be more apt to stay put on a more team friendly deal. Their medical staff quite possibly saved his leg. The fans love him. Coach Zimmer has always spoken highly of him and seems to really like him. Other than the fact that Case may be the starting QB going into next season, it's an ideal situation for him. At the least, if Case starts to flounder next year it's almost certain he'll be given a shot.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Does Keenum have to accept a franchise tag? Or can the Vikings just do it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
He has to either play or hold out. Not much choice but given the pay, I don't think he'll mind.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I thought Sloter was being groomed for the future.
I wouldn't have a problem drafting a QB after the 3rd round. Because we are going to replace Burger next year which I would think would earlier pick in the draft.