View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 pm



Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How much is Case Keenum worth? 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post How much is Case Keenum worth?
Just curious what you all think it would be worth to retain Keenum.

I like the idea of offering him about 5-6 million a year for 4-6 years fully guaranteed. Roughly a 30 million dollar deal. Add in some incentives that boost the deal if he's starting. Sure, he could get more elsewhere, but probably only on a prove it deal with nothing guranteed after year 2. Its likely he would flounder wherever he went and not see that money anyways. This provides him with a solid chunk of guaranteed money, a chance for sustained success, and stability for his family. The vikings lock in at least a premier backup, and potentially a cheap starter. Alternately, I would give him up to 15 million on a one year commitment that allowed them to cut bait if he stinks it up.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:54 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:14 am
Posts: 1142
Location: Miller, SD
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
It all depends on if he brings a Lombardi Trophy to the franchise.

_________________
From the Fjords of ValHalla


Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
TeamChaplain wrote:
It all depends on if he brings a Lombardi Trophy to the franchise.


scenario 1: vikings win Super bowl with Keenum.

What is he worth to you?

Scenario 2: Vikings lose in NFCG or Super Bowl.

What is he worth to you?


Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am
Profile
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Posts: 8209
Location: Kentucky
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

_________________
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson


Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 am
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 461
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
I was expecting triple what you are saying, 15k-18k /year. (not necessarily from the Vikings). i know it seems kind of knee-jerk, but NFL careers are short, as well as windows of opportunity for some teams. If we got him (or anyone) for less than 15k i would be satisfied and slightly surprised. But i really dont know much or pay much attention to salaries and such, just thought your numbers were low for a starting QB.

_________________
Formerly AADPFan


Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:52 am
Posts: 1777
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Also wrapped up in this is who will be our new OC if Shurmur leaves? That has to play a part in which QB we like going forward.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:31 am
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am
Posts: 344
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
I think we should franchise him for a year, regardless of wins & losses from here on. I think that would put his salary ~$25million for one year (average of the top 5 QB salaries, right?). Then we'd get to see what Case is like without Shurmur for a year without long term commitment.

If Shurmur stays, Keenum may be willing to stay for less than that. According to the media Shurmur is as good as gone, but I've got my fingers crossed anyway.

I'll be sick if we give him a long term deal and he fizzles into nothing. I'll also be sick if we let him go and he wins 3 super bowls with someone else.


Last edited by w_huisman on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Cliff wrote:
I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/


I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
Cliff wrote:
I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/


I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.


Who would you want to keep then?? Keeping just Teddy and rolling with it is putting a lot of eggs into one basket. I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:15 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Utah
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.

Same. Just pay Case what it takes outside something crazy. I don't see Sam here next year and I don't want to depend on Teddy's health. We'll have at least a good defense next year and I believe Case should be able to QB us to the playoffs again. I'd go for 15-18 million. Not sure I'd want to go to franchising him, but I guess that is only a single year commitment


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
Cliff wrote:
I think you're dreaming at 5-6 mil. That's rookie QB money.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/


I'm not really dreaming, because I don't particularly care to retain him, I'm just saying what I think he is worth. I'd give him 15 on a short term commitment or give him a long commitment at 5-6 million per, fully guaranteed, and with incentives. I think he'd be a fool not to take it in all honesty, but otherwise, I'd let him walk. I'm also wondering what other people think he is worth.


Who would you want to keep then?? Keeping just Teddy and rolling with it is putting a lot of eggs into one basket. I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.


I get that perspective, which is why I'm wondering how much you are willing to pay him and under what kind of structured deal. The franchise option is certainly viable, although it starts to make for a tight salary cap if you want to re-sign some of the young defenders. Case does some things very well, and other things not so well, and I'm curious what vikings fans would be willing to pay to keep him on the team.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:29 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Crax wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.

Same. Just pay Case what it takes outside something crazy. I don't see Sam here next year and I don't want to depend on Teddy's health. We'll have at least a good defense next year and I believe Case should be able to QB us to the playoffs again. I'd go for 15-18 million. Not sure I'd want to go to franchising him, but I guess that is only a single year commitment


so if he demanded a 4 year deal 18/year with basically the 4th year as a team option (functionally 3 yr/54m) would you pay or let him walk?


Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:32 pm
Profile
All Pro Elite Player

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:48 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Utah
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
Crax wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I dont think Teddy can command much at all. How can he?? I think we can keep both Teddy and Case. But I'm over the Teddy thing. I love the kid, but Case is the man right now. He's tough, durable, won over his teammates, etc. Pay the man.

If we just roll with Teddy and that's it I'll be pretty upset.

Same. Just pay Case what it takes outside something crazy. I don't see Sam here next year and I don't want to depend on Teddy's health. We'll have at least a good defense next year and I believe Case should be able to QB us to the playoffs again. I'd go for 15-18 million. Not sure I'd want to go to franchising him, but I guess that is only a single year commitment


so if he demanded a 4 year deal 18/year with basically the 4th year as a team option (functionally 3 yr/54m) would you pay or let him walk?

I have potentially two more games to decide this? :D . I'd lean towards paying that, but I guess it depends on how everything shakes out in the last two games and the potential new Offensive Coordinator. A lot may depend on what Offensive gameplan is going to be run next year. If we consider Shurmur as gone, then it's all up in the air.

If Shurmur is still here - Yes, I'd do the 4/18 with 4th year team.
Random O coordinator? - I really don't know


Last edited by Crax on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am
Posts: 19
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Consistency. That's what Case Keenum gives you, stability and competence. We've had QBs with brilliance in short bursts, or ones with a certain situational advantage. Daunte was a mobile mountain making the short running game still an option with an empty backfield. Cunningham was a gazelle-legged startler with bones made of vinyl, not made of, well, out of bone. Bradford throws beautifully, better than Elway or Brady at the purely artistic pass. In fact, as that drive started with 30 seconds left on Sunday against the Saints, i turned to my bro and said "They should put Bradford in there now." Every QB has a specialty and what we needed then was long passes pretty as a picture, and that's Sam's thing. (Glad i was wrong!)

But when you have a 5-month slog, i'd prefer the constancy over the spectacular. Brad Johnson. Rich Gannon. Tarkenton and Kapp. You still get the occasional masterpiece game, but you get 10 other games where we just plain win. Don't matter if it's got warts, it still starts with "W".

Of the current bullpen, i'd go with Keenum, and not out of post-miracle drunkenness, but because of what he's done week after week since he got the starting slot. Teddy is spectacular in patches, his enthusiasm and character make him a natural leader, but the stability is not as assured. Cam Newton is a much better asset to his team once the coaches drummed the wildcat mentality out of him. Andrew Luck has Bradford's ability but Bridgewater's luck.

I don't get a say in what the team does, but hope they keep Case as #1 with a new contract, Teddy as #2 (when is his contract up?) and if we can't re-sign Sam as gold-standard insurance, hopefully we can get him back after some other team makes him their starter and his value falls after more missed games than starts.

What is Keenum worth? No way we can think in terms of numbers until we know how the playoffs turn out. But we can think about longer term franchise strategy right now, and Keenum brings competence and stability.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Spiny Norman wrote:
Consistency. That's what Case Keenum gives you, stability and competence. We've had QBs with brilliance in short bursts, or ones with a certain situational advantage. Daunte was a mobile mountain making the short running game still an option with an empty backfield. Cunningham was a gazelle-legged startler with bones made of vinyl, not made of, well, out of bone. Bradford throws beautifully, better than Elway or Brady at the purely artistic pass. In fact, as that drive started with 30 seconds left on Sunday against the Saints, i turned to my bro and said "They should put Bradford in there now." Every QB has a specialty and what we needed then was long passes pretty as a picture, and that's Sam's thing. (Glad i was wrong!)

But when you have a 5-month slog, i'd prefer the constancy over the spectacular. Brad Johnson. Rich Gannon. Tarkenton and Kapp. You still get the occasional masterpiece game, but you get 10 other games where we just plain win. Don't matter if it's got warts, it still starts with "W".

Of the current bullpen, i'd go with Keenum, and not out of post-miracle drunkenness, but because of what he's done week after week since he got the starting slot. Teddy is spectacular in patches, his enthusiasm and character make him a natural leader, but the stability is not as assured. Cam Newton is a much better asset to his team once the coaches drummed the wildcat mentality out of him. Andrew Luck has Bradford's ability but Bridgewater's luck.

I don't get a say in what the team does, but hope they keep Case as #1 with a new contract, Teddy as #2 (when is his contract up?) and if we can't re-sign Sam as gold-standard insurance, hopefully we can get him back after some other team makes him their starter and his value falls after more missed games than starts.

What is Keenum worth? No way we can think in terms of numbers until we know how the playoffs turn out. But we can think about longer term franchise strategy right now, and Keenum brings competence and stability.


Excellent post. No less we get Dalvin back next year with an already good stable of RBs in place. We have the WRs already.

Honestly, on offense, I'd like to look for a guard, maybe 2, a TE because Rudy is starting to get up there and a young QB

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.


Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am
Posts: 344
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.


Finally someone agrees with me. Thanks Kap! It's only one year, well worth it to make Keenum prove his worth one more year.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.


Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?


Not sure how much longer Brees has. Case is only 29. Huge difference. I wouldnt want Brees. Cousins I would entertain but we'd get in a bidding war with bottom feeders with endless cap space for him. Case is our best option right now. Easily

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:41 pm
Profile
Transition Player
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am
Posts: 344
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.


Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?


Yes. Keenum could be a long term solution, Brees would not be.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.


Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?


Not sure how much longer Brees has. Case is only 29. Huge difference. I wouldnt want Brees. Cousins I would entertain but we'd get in a bidding war with bottom feeders with endless cap space for him. Case is our best option right now. Easily


Where would you rank Case in terms of all starting QBs 1-32?


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:

Where would you rank Case in terms of all starting QBs 1-32?


I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol

_________________
Image


Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
$22.5 million.

That's the estimated number for the franchise tag in 2018. If I were Spielman, I'd use the tag on Case.

Bradford's not going to stay. He'll want to start somewhere, and somebody will pay him.

Teddy? I have no idea. Nobody does. He's taken five snaps in two seasons. I don't see how Rick Spielman can just declare Teddy "the man." If he's willing to stay as a backup, then keep him. If someone else thinks he's a starter and will pay him starter money, then dilly dilly for him.

Go with what you know. Put the franchise tag on Keenum and worry about signing him long-term after next season. He won't be upset. How can he be? We're talking about a leap from $2 million to $22.5 million. And he loves Minnesota.


Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?

Yes.

First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Second, even if he were available, he just turned 39. No way I give a 39-year-old a long-term deal. He's still a great player, but he's showing signs of his age. The Sendejo interception is a perfect example. He had plenty of time, set his feet, threw in a perfect environment, had a man open for 6, and underthrew him by 5 yards. If the Brett Favre debacle in 2010 didn't teach us about the infallibility of Father Time, then nothing will.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum just led the Vikings on TWO go-ahead scoring drives in 3 minutes. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Second, even if he were available, he just turned 39. No way I give a 39-year-old a long-term deal. He's still a great player, but he's showing signs of his age. The Sendejo interception is a perfect example. He had plenty of time, set his feet, threw in a perfect environment, had a man open for 6, and underthrew him by 5 yards. If the Brett Favre debacle in 2010 didn't teach us about the infallibility of Father Time, then nothing will.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.


Exactly. Well said Kapp. Brees is almost at the end and Cousins is going to get HOUNDED by a lot of teams. And many of these teams have so much room in cap. Case knows these guys, loves Minnesota, has a coach that loves him. If it's not broke.....

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Certainly a defensible position. Hypothetically, if Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins hit the open market, would you still be comfortable signing Keenum for 22.5 instead of using that money on Brees?

Yes.

First of all, Drew Brees isn't leaving New Orleans. Everything I've ever read about the man says he loves the city, his family loves the city, he loves his coach (God only knows why) and he has no desire to leave. He's made tons of money already, so a few million extra isn't going to sway him.

Second, even if he were available, he just turned 39. No way I give a 39-year-old a long-term deal. He's still a great player, but he's showing signs of his age. The Sendejo interception is a perfect example. He had plenty of time, set his feet, threw in a perfect environment, had a man open for 6, and underthrew him by 5 yards. If the Brett Favre debacle in 2010 didn't teach us about the infallibility of Father Time, then nothing will.

Finally, given a choice between Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins, I take Keenum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Cousins has never shown the capability to win a game at the end. Keenum just led the Vikings on TWO go-ahead scoring drives in 3 minutes. Keenum's leadership qualities far outweigh Cousins' meager advantage in physical skills. And I certainly wouldn't want to be the team that pays Kirk Cousins more than the $135 million Detroit is ponying up for Matthew Stafford. Because that's what Cousins is going to get.


That may well be the case. I wasn't arguing that Brees will be available, just curious to understand at what point it might seem like overpaying for somewhere between mediocre and good QB performance.

I would assume that we would all agree Drew Brees is currently a much better QB and if we're discussing a short term commitment, would give the vikings the best chance to win between the two.

I don't have a problem with using the tag, but would be very uncomfortable as the GM giving multi-year starter money to Case. You probably have to squeeze out one significant reserve player to make the numbers work there, but that's not a big deal.

Is anyone sold enough on Case that they would be comfortable signing him to a multi-year extension for starter money after this season?


Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
fiestavike wrote:
Is anyone sold enough on Case that they would be comfortable signing him to a multi-year extension for starter money after this season?

Fair question. My heart says yes, but my mind wants to see a little more.

He checked off one significant box this past Sunday: He won a playoff game. He didn't just manage a playoff win. He won a game. I keep saying this, but let's not forget ... he led the Vikings on not one, but TWO go-ahead scoring drives in the last 3 minutes of the 4th quarter. That's significant in my book. He also got up off the mat following a very, very bad interception and played pretty well the rest of the game. What I love about Case is also the thing that scares me about him -- he's totally unafraid to fail. A bad play doesn't get him down.

But I wouldn't do a multi-year deal just yet. I want to see how he handles a ROAD playoff game, especially outdoors in the cold. This is where the rubber meets the road for me. If you recall, the whole Manning vs. Brady battle all those years usually came down to one thing -- Brady beat Manning like a drum when the weather sucked. Manning just wasn't the same guy when he wasn't indoors at Indy. We play in the NFC North. Two of our opponents play outdoors. A quarterback in the NFL, especially for the Vikings, needs to be able to play well in crappy weather.

If Case can go into Philly and play well and lead the Vikings to victory this coming Sunday, I'd be a lot more inclined to sign him long-term.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm
Profile
Practice Squad

Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:15 am
Posts: 19
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
... What is Keenum worth? No way we can think in terms of numbers until we know how the playoffs turn out. But we can think about longer term franchise strategy right now, and Keenum brings competence and stability.


Excellent post. No less we get Dalvin back next year with an already good stable of RBs in place. We have the WRs already. Honestly, on offense, I'd like to look for a guard, maybe 2, a TE because Rudy is starting to get up there and a young QB


Exactly right. I'd spend picks 1 & 2 on OL, 3rd rounder on a fast lanky DE, 4th for a TE and #5-6 to find a replacement for (venerable) Terrence Newman. Several years ago realized that drafting a QB in early rounds is foolish. The Broncos a dozen years ago laid out the modern formula for winning a SB: start with OL. That made any RB they plugged in there look like a star, and they traded them all (Terrell, Love, CJ Anderson) for other important chess pieces. Trade a knight for a rook any day. And when they finally got a king, plugged Peyton in there and it's a ring.

We have a similar opportunity, but with QBs instead of RBs. Bradford could start out of the box for 8 teams, Bridgewater could be traded for a plethora (do joo e'en know what a plethora ees? :lol:) of picks and mid-career players. But the wise thing would be to keep Teddy until his contract (when does his deal run through?).

Keenum 6 years out of college is just right for a QB to hit their stride, if we trust Spielman to keep capturing quality pieces in free-agency then it'd be smart to sign him solid. I don't think we can be tossing around numbers, like 18 or 22.5, until the playoffs are done. Maybe this thread has a troll, and it's Case's agent?

And Watertown eh? Watching the weather, they all use purple as the color for snowfall predictions, from lilac to lavender to indigo, and a couple weeks ago Watertown had the most gorgeous splat of deep purple right on top of it, with the number "40+" right in the middle. Apparently you live in the Vikingest corner of NY. :wink:


Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am
Posts: 3304
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
fiestavike wrote:

Where would you rank Case in terms of all starting QBs 1-32?


I would say just outside the top 10. Maybe even sneak into the top 10. See there are some guys I would take him over that others might not. I would take Case over Newton and Winston. I'd even take him over some of these older QBs such as Manning, Brees, Rivers.

It's hard to say "yeah I would love to have Tom Brady over Case Keenum" right now because the guy is 40 and only has a few years left. Granted Brady is way better but Brady also isnt 29.

From a skill perspective, I would rank Case around 10-15. From a "who I want right now standpoint" I would rank him inside the top 10 for sure.

If that makes sense lol


Yes, I understand what you are saying.

There is a top echelon, and of course those guys are getting older...Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers(?)

Then there is a broader group who could become the next generation of elite QBs, Wilson, Stafford, Garopollo, Watson, Cousins, Carr, Newton, Ryan, Winston, etc.

Case Keenum will undoubtedly be revealed over time to be better than a good swath of this list. Its a list based in large part on potential. What I don't like about commiting to Case is that he just doesn't have a very high ceiling. I'd like any financial commitment to him to represent that fact (be short term or inexpensive). Is he good enough to win with? yes. Is he a great leader? yes. Can he move and create? yes. Will he ever be elite? no? Is he accurate? no. Does he have a strong arm? no. I kind of hate franchising him and making him 'prove it' because all he will be able to prove, best case, is what he has already established. He is an eternally flawed QB who does some things really well. Is that ever worth a longterm commitment. I think the Jeff Garcia comp is pretty decent. Case Keenum is only a franchise guy if he will accept a franchise friendly deal...otherwise he's a guy that every franchise is looking to upgrade on every year and he becomes a journeyman, which is basically what his level of play says that he is.

I really do think it would make sense for Case to accept a 5 year deal for 30 million, fully guaranteed with incentives if he starts. he won't get more than 30 million guaranteed anywhere else, and in all likelihood he'll just bounce around and have an inglorious career going forward. As a result, he'll lose more in endorsements than he would make in extra salary anyway. Sticking with this team on a sweetheart deal while the 5 year superbowl window is open would make him a Minnesota darling for the next 30-40 years anyway.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6853
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
How can you say Case isn't accurate?

He hit 67.5% of his passes. You don't do that with dumb luck. He makes tons of throws into some tight windows, and he consistently makes throws that only his receivers can catch. Do his receivers make great catches? Sure. That's true of any team with talented receivers. Is he as accurate as Brees or even Bradford? No. But it's not like he's Cam Newton throwing the ball all over the yard. And his ball placement improved immensely as the season wore on and he gained confidence and consistent first-team reps. He's also very accurate outside the pocket, which cannot be overstated in the current NFL, where ultra-athletic pass rushers like Cam Jordan are having their way in the league.

Finally, he ranked 2nd in the league according to PFF in lowest percentage of interceptable throws, which plays directly into the accuracy argument.

I agree with you on some of his limitations. He's relatively short, so he's always going to have to be creative in finding throwing lanes. And he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, so there are always going to be some Rodgers-like throws he simply can't make. But you know who else didn't have a cannon? Fran Tarkenton. Neither did Peyton Manning the last few years. They got by OK.

The bottom line isn't about arm strength or star power or anything else. The bottom line is winning. The guy is 12-3 as a starter with the Minnesota Vikings. He's beaten some of the best teams in the league, both at home and on the road. Offering the guy $30 million for 5 years would be an insult, and it would guarantee that he leaves Minnesota. Because he's going to get a lot more from someone else.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4909
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: How much is Case Keenum worth?
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
How can you say Case isn't accurate?

He hit 67.5% of his passes. You don't do that with dumb luck. He makes tons of throws into some tight windows, and he consistently makes throws that only his receivers can catch. Do his receivers make great catches? Sure. That's true of any team with talented receivers. Is he as accurate as Brees or even Bradford? No. But it's not like he's Cam Newton throwing the ball all over the yard. And his ball placement improved immensely as the season wore on and he gained confidence and consistent first-team reps. He's also very accurate outside the pocket, which cannot be overstated in the current NFL, where ultra-athletic pass rushers like Cam Jordan are having their way in the league.

Finally, he ranked 2nd in the league according to PFF in lowest percentage of interceptable throws, which plays directly into the accuracy argument.

I agree with you on some of his limitations. He's relatively short, so he's always going to have to be creative in finding throwing lanes. And he doesn't have a cannon for an arm, so there are always going to be some Rodgers-like throws he simply can't make. But you know who else didn't have a cannon? Fran Tarkenton. Neither did Peyton Manning the last few years. They got by OK.

The bottom line isn't about arm strength or star power or anything else. The bottom line is winning. The guy is 12-3 as a starter with the Minnesota Vikings. He's beaten some of the best teams in the league, both at home and on the road. Offering the guy $30 million for 5 years would be an insult, and it would guarantee that he leaves Minnesota. Because he's going to get a lot more from someone else.


Agreed. We need to pay the guy. Period. BUT draft a QB so we have insurance.

_________________
Image


Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:21 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alaskan and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.