Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The DL outside of Linval has been invisible lately. It is very concerning.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Agreed 100%. I dont understand why we arent blitzing as much. I was ready to shoot Zim when it was 1st down all the way to 4th down on that final Saints drive and he didnt throw 1 blitz at them. And anytime he did blitz, Brees crapped his pants. Did anyone else notice all this or was it just me?? The pass rush not only wasnt getting sacks in the 2nd half but Brees was barely touched. I could've guaranteed Zim would have thrown something at Brees on 4th and 10.

This defense is deadly when they are blitzing and can easily cover enough in the back half to warrant it. I swear if we dont put Foles under pressure I'm going to lose it. There is no reason we should let that guy sit back there and try to pick us apart. He hasnt ever seen a D like ours. He should have crap in his pants
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Agreed 100%. I dont understand why we arent blitzing as much. I was ready to shoot Zim when it was 1st down all the way to 4th down on that final Saints drive and he didnt throw 1 blitz at them. And anytime he did blitz, Brees crapped his pants. Did anyone else notice all this or was it just me?? The pass rush not only wasnt getting sacks in the 2nd half but Brees was barely touched. I could've guaranteed Zim would have thrown something at Brees on 4th and 10.

This defense is deadly when they are blitzing and can easily cover enough in the back half to warrant it. I swear if we dont put Foles under pressure I'm going to lose it. There is no reason we should let that guy sit back there and try to pick us apart. He hasnt ever seen a D like ours. He should have crap in his pants
doubt they'll get the chance to pressure foles, it'll be all RPOs and quick passes. Must be prepared for the double moves. If the Eagles win it'll be because the Viking couldn't stop the run or got beat on a couple big td passes on double moves. I don't see any way they let Foles beat them with quick slants all game.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: doubt they'll get the chance to pressure foles, it'll be all RPOs and quick passes. Must be prepared for the double moves. If the Eagles win it'll be because the Viking couldn't stop the run or got beat on a couple big td passes on double moves. I don't see any way they let Foles beat them with quick slants all game.
i did read that Zim is blitzing less than last year. I dont know I just wanted to see more pressure on Brees than I did. All I know is, the Saints offense was way more dangerous than this offense is. I think our defense handles them no problem. Their defense scares me. Case needs to show up big time
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
i did read that Zim is blitzing less than last year. I dont know I just wanted to see more pressure on Brees than I did. All I know is, the Saints offense was way more dangerous than this offense is. I think our defense handles them no problem. Their defense scares me. Case needs to show up big time
Its been 5 or 6 games since we've seen Case at his high water mark this year. Hopefully he is due for a really good performance.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Blitzing is risk/reward. From what I saw last Sunday, Brees was beating them when they blitzed, so in that respect it probably wasn't worth it. The last three games of the season were all cases where it probably wasn't necessary to blitz given the state of the opposition. Why take the risk if you do not need to?

PHI is a different animal than NO. In PHI you do not have a top 5 QB in the league, so his ability to beat you is much more limited. There is also no equivalent to Kamara on Philadelphia. IMO, this matchup is easier top to bottom. No elite QB, no "big play" guy out of the backfield, and no Shawn Peyton to draw it up. My hunch is we might not see a lot of blitzing in this game either. They may not need to. If they are blitzing it is either because they do not fear Foles or think they can goad him into a mistake or because they have to take risks. Let us hope they do not have to take risks...

I feel like the bigger risk in this game is our offense vs. their defense. Case cannot be giving away short fields on stupid INTs. As I have said other times this week, my hope is that last Sunday was major wake up call in that department.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

For what it's worth, Nick's Foles passer rating under pressure is 23.8. Compared to Keenum's 76.5.

Foles craps his pants under pressure. I'm not saying go blitz crazy but Foles under pressure compared to Foles having a clean pocket is night and day.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:For what it's worth, Nick's Foles passer rating under pressure is 23.8. Compared to Keenum's 76.5.

Foles craps his pants under pressure. I'm not saying go blitz crazy but Foles under pressure compared to Foles having a clean pocket is night and day.
Good stat, but assuming they run a similar game plan to last week and try to protect foles by simplifying his reads with RPOs, I'd rather drop linebackers underneath slant routes than bring a ton of pressure that can't possibly get there in time with the ball coming out quick, and opens up huge lanes for guys like Agholar to make huge plays after the catch. If they can get immediate pressure right up the middle with the double a gap look, that'll be the way to do it.

If the Vikings can stop the eagles run game with 7, play Rhodes and Waynes aggressively on quick underneath routes, and keep 2 safeties high for double moves, this game shouldn't be close. If PHI can force the vikings to bring a S to the box, they'll be able to put real stress on our CBs. I expect Zimmer to throw in a few wrinkles to confuse Foles.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... nship-game

Stop the run and we will win imo barring turnovers. Vikes need Admiral Ackbar at linebacker this week "It's a trap!". How does a defense shut down the trap play?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: Good stat, but assuming they run a similar game plan to last week and try to protect foles by simplifying his reads with RPOs, I'd rather drop linebackers underneath slant routes than bring a ton of pressure that can't possibly get there in time with the ball coming out quick, and opens up huge lanes for guys like Agholar to make huge plays after the catch. If they can get immediate pressure right up the middle with the double a gap look, that'll be the way to do it.

If the Vikings can stop the eagles run game with 7, play Rhodes and Waynes aggressively on quick underneath routes, and keep 2 safeties high for double moves, this game shouldn't be close. If PHI can force the vikings to bring a S to the box, they'll be able to put real stress on our CBs. I expect Zimmer to throw in a few wrinkles to confuse Foles.
I love when I see the double A gap look. However, I feel like I didnt see it much vs. NO. Brees is one of the smartest QBs out there. But I honestly see Foles getting shook if he sees stuff like that and gets hit a few times.

Also, even though Philly has a good D, their pass defense only ranks 17th. It's going to be tough to run but the pass should be there. Also, QUIT RUNNING EVERY TIME ON FIRST DOWN SHURMUR!!. You've called some great games but we're doing way too many first down runs. Hit them with some play actions.
-Chazz Palminteri
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I love when I see the double A gap look. However, I feel like I didnt see it much vs. NO. Brees is one of the smartest QBs out there. But I honestly see Foles getting shook if he sees stuff like that and gets hit a few times.

Also, even though Philly has a good D, their pass defense only ranks 17th. It's going to be tough to run but the pass should be there. Also, QUIT RUNNING EVERY TIME ON FIRST DOWN SHURMUR!!. You've called some great games but we're doing way too many first down runs. Hit them with some play actions.
I was hoping they would start passing more on 1st down too. Still, the big reason this became a game was the turnover and the blocked punt. Take care of the ball and the Vikings should have won this game easily and should have a good chance to win on Sunday vs PHI.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I love when I see the double A gap look. However, I feel like I didnt see it much vs. NO. Brees is one of the smartest QBs out there. But I honestly see Foles getting shook if he sees stuff like that and gets hit a few times.

Good idea. I think Thielen and Diggs will be able to make plays against their secondary. Sadly, our offensive line - though vastly improved - is still not able to reliably create movement up front. I sort of like the idea of coming out and passing early and often in this one, then test their run D with some heavy sets later in the game...i just don't believe the line will be able to get that done in the run game against PHI, and neither Murray or McKinnon excel in that type of run game. Id almost like to see them give Ham some carries if they are trying to salt away a win or going with a heavy formation and commiting to the running game early.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also, QUIT RUNNING EVERY TIME ON FIRST DOWN SHURMUR!!. You've called some great games but we're doing way too many first down runs. Hit them with some play actions.
Agreed. It was a little frustrating to watch.

I also am questioning why we didn't utilize Jet more vs. their linebackers. I'm questioning Jet's usage in general down the stretch.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

dead_poet wrote: I'm questioning Jet's usage in general down the stretch.
Between the two backs he seems clearly the superior in my view, including in short yardage, despite his diminutive stature.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Zimmer vs Pederson....Id take Zimmer every time in that bout. The Eagles offense doesn't scare me at all. They can run the RPO all they want. The vikings have the fastest lateral defensive speed in the game. I don't think it will be very effective unless Ajayi goes off in the run game, which is possible. Foles is also a statue in the pocket so if they get into 3rd and medium to 3rd and long situations, there's no chance. And that's aside from Minnesota having the best 3rd down defense of all-time.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

I think people are underestimating the Philly run game. Blount and Ajayi could give us some trouble. This is going to be a battle of field position and TOP. Stewart gave us some fits in Carolina-I hope Blount doesn't do the same.

I would be shocked if Foles throws the ball further than 20 yds-which makes me happy we can stack the box a bit.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.