Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikes open as 3 point favorites in Philly.

Post by Texas Vike »

cmoss84 wrote:I think people are underestimating the Philly run game. Blount and Ajayi could give us some trouble. This is going to be a battle of field position and TOP. Stewart gave us some fits in Carolina-I hope Blount doesn't do the same.

I would be shocked if Foles throws the ball further than 20 yds-which makes me happy we can stack the box a bit.

Agreed. And not just their RBs, but PHI is tough in the trenches on both sides of the ball (minus Vaitai, who I see as a major weak link at LT). Much of their running game success is attributable to the OL.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I have a different take, I think the Vikings have to establish the run. The Eagles pass rush is seriously good and I think Case is going to be under pressure all game. They need to play similar to the Rams game where they basically just wore them down by the 4th quarter.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also, QUIT RUNNING EVERY TIME ON FIRST DOWN SHURMUR!!. You've called some great games but we're doing way too many first down runs. Hit them with some play actions.
Agreed. It was a little frustrating to watch.

I also am questioning why we didn't utilize Jet more vs. their linebackers. I'm questioning Jet's usage in general down the stretch.
1,000% agree on both points.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

dead_poet wrote:
S197 wrote:Yeah I'm wondering if they go back to Remmers at RT and bring in Sirles. Hill had a really tough game.
I'm not sure Remmers would have fared much better again Jordan. He's a beast. Little surprised they didn't give Hill more help.
And here I was, thinking that Hill did a fine job. He's our backup right tackle, lifted off the Practice Squad of the Jags (?) last year, and he's playing one on one against the best player on the Saints defense. And he gave up eight pressures but no sacks (AFAICT). And he made the play when he needed to: Watch him take Cam Jordan completely out of Case's sightline on the replay of the last play - if you can find a copy of it anywhere. :wink:

For me, in retrospect, that was one of the most important individual plays in the game, because Case was completely unrestricted (moving or seeing) in Diggs direction.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

As to the topic under consideration... I'm a bit pissed that they made the Vikes favorites. It's hard to have a chip on your shoulder when you are expected to win. It's hard to play that "no respect card" when you are favored. I see this game as a true tossup. Yes, the Eagles can't hold a candle to the Saints offense, but the Eagles defense at home is way, way better than the Saints defense on the road. I'm seeing a 17-13 game here, and I can't tell which team is going to win. The Vikes are not scoring 29 points on Sunday, outdoors on grass, against Philly's defense, like we did twice against the Saints. Of course, we are a better defense than the one that held Philly to 15 points last weekend. On paper, the Vikes should win. Turnovers and special teams almost killed us last weekend, and could be our downfall in the cold Pennsylvania winter (although I look now, and it should be clear and almost 50 at kickoff).

I'd love to be wrong. I think if I were in Vegas, I'd drop some big money (like a Superbowl ticket worth) on Philly, thinking that it would be worth the "expense" to go to the Superbowl, and worth a nice winter vacation if we didn't win.
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Post by TeamChaplain »

With these two defensive teams, it all boils down to which team has the better OLine. I am betting against Philly.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

cmoss84 wrote:I think people are underestimating the Philly run game. Blount and Ajayi could give us some trouble. This is going to be a battle of field position and TOP. Stewart gave us some fits in Carolina-I hope Blount doesn't do the same.

I would be shocked if Foles throws the ball further than 20 yds-which makes me happy we can stack the box a bit.

This is a great observation. Bruiser backs have been more our nemesis this season than the speedy guys. The upside, is the passing game of the Eagles can likely be contained without much fanfare by our secondary. It will interesting to see if the Vikings can handle this issue.

I also agree with SI97' point that this is probably a game where we play it conservative and just wear them down. I do think our pass catchers will create some issues within their secondary, but I'm not sure our OL is good enough to contain that pass rush all day long. My sense is they'll come in with 4 quarter approach to the game and try to limit the pass rushes ability to change the game for the Eagles. No turnovers!
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

cmoss84 wrote:I think people are underestimating the Philly run game.
Agreed! One unit that I haven't seen analyzed on this thread (edit: no, Texas Vike discussed it; sorry) is the Eagles' offensive line, which is terrific. It's easily the best part of their offense post-Wentz. I'm okay with the Vikings going with a two-high-safety look on occasion (especially on obvious passing downs), but I worry about front-seven defenders getting pancaked and beaten on running plays. The Purple needs a great game from Joseph and Johnson.
Yes, that's the advantageous side of it. Surely it's obvious to everyone that the Vikings will pack in the defenders ("Hello, Mr. Running Back; let me introduce you to Mr. Smith") and dare Foles to beat them. Good luck, Nick.
Rieux
Franchise Player

Post by Rieux »

mansquatch wrote:Looking at Philly with a little more depth:

(....)

Interesting tidbit: Last offensive touchdown was scored in the 1st QTR of the game vs. OAK.
Wait, what? They got a LeGarrette Blount rushing touchdown in the second quarter of the divisional playoff against Atlanta. That score was the culmination of a fairly scary-looking 14-play, 86-yard drive that included nine runs (the best five of which went for 7, 8, 8, 10, and 21 yards), 4-for-5 passing from Foles (all four completions gaining 6-9 yards each), and only one successful third-down conversion (on two attempts; they scored the TD on a fourth-and-goal from the 1).

I'd like to think that the Eagles couldn't do that to the Vikes, but I suspect that they probably could.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

dead_poet wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Also, QUIT RUNNING EVERY TIME ON FIRST DOWN SHURMUR!!. You've called some great games but we're doing way too many first down runs. Hit them with some play actions.

I also am questioning why we didn't utilize Jet more vs. their linebackers. I'm questioning Jet's usage in general down the stretch.
I just went through the game on NFL.com and went through the play by play looking at 1st downs. In the 1st half we passed 11 times and rushed 7 times on first down. In the 2nd half we passed 11 times and rushed 6 times on 1st down. That's a 22/13 pass/rush ratio on 1st down ... unless I've somehow looked at the play by play improperly.

His interception came on a pass on 1st down.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cliff wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

I just went through the game on NFL.com and went through the play by play looking at 1st downs. In the 1st half we passed 11 times and rushed 7 times on first down. In the 2nd half we passed 11 times and rushed 6 times on 1st down. That's a 22/13 pass/rush ratio on 1st down ... unless I've somehow looked at the play by play improperly.

His interception came on a pass on 1st down.
Thanks for checking that. It's surprising. Maybe I just remember Murray getting stuffed on what felt like every first down. What's more problematic is how much better Philadelphia's defensive line is.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

mansquatch wrote: I also agree with SI97' point that this is probably a game where we play it conservative and just wear them down. I do think our pass catchers will create some issues within their secondary, but I'm not sure our OL is good enough to contain that pass rush all day long. My sense is they'll come in with 4 quarter approach to the game and try to limit the pass rushes ability to change the game for the Eagles. No turnovers!
The problem is, Mike Remmers was a disaster run blocking at left guard. If you rewatch the game and pay attention to him, he was a train wreck in there. He was much better in pass protection.

I don't think the vikings will be able to effectively run the ball at all on Sunday.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:Road game... high stakes.

This game will be against a better defensive front 7 than the Saints and better Defense overall. However, also a game against a worse, offense. Arguably much worse.

We should be favored. Our Defense is better than Philadelphia's so we should not struggle to contain their offense. This will be a game where it is up to the offense to not be careless with the football.

My hope is that as awesome as yesterday was, it serves as a wake up call that it is the playoffs and dumb mistakes almost cost them the chance to play in this game.
Very solid take.....was going to write something similar but you said it best.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

it's amazing what one game does to my head. had we just kept rolling the saints like we were for three quarters i'd go into this philly game very confident! well...as confident as a Vikings fan can be in the nfc championship... :?

but after needing a miracle to win on sunday, it's hard to have the swagger right now. as a fan I mean. I think we'll win this game, but i'm not sure my head has completely absorbed what it saw sunday night.

this sunday can't get here soon enough.
i'm ready for a beer.
ChicagoViking
Veteran

Post by ChicagoViking »

dead_poet wrote:

I loved the fake reverse to Diggs, pitch to McKinnon on the opening touchdown. It was wide open, and he went into the endzone untouched. I was surprised the Vikes didn't use more misdirection against the overpursuit of the Saints to get the RBs to the edges. The up-the-middle runs clearly weren't working. Murray averaged 2.6 ypc on 19 carries and Jet averaged 4.3 ypc on 8 carries. Would have liked to have seen Jet get a few more touches and Tay Train get fewer.