Vikings Toughest Opponent That We Will Annihilate

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mike2mike
Starter

Vikings Toughest Opponent That We Will Annihilate

Post by mike2mike »

First, let's apply the standard disclaimer. The past doesn't always equal the future and people tend to underestimate the depth of what we do not know. That fact could actually favor the Saints, but it also could favor the Vikes even more than we think as well.

The Vikings defense is out of this world in terms of 3rd down defense. They are the best defense ever in the modern era and the stats only go back 27 years so they could be the best defense of all time on 3rd downs. The Saints offense is good mostly because in the past they had chunk plays. But the Vikings are excellent at shutting the QB down And forcing early pressure and checkdowns, throw aways, sacks and incompletions and tackling and keeping everything in front of them which prevents such things. The Saints 3rd down offense is not that good. They rank 19th. Vikings rank 3rd on offense on 3rd down conversions. Saints defense on 3rd downs is 27th. And The Vikings aren't just #1 on third down defense... they're the greatest of all time.

The combination of moving the ball on offense, converting on third downs and forcing oponents to punt a lot meanwhile our punter hasn't had a touchback the entire season will be deadly for our opponents. If the past is even remotely representative of the future, the Vikings offense will move the ball, score or bury their opponent inside the 20, force the opponent to punt after 3 plays (or very few) and do it again and eventually the overwhelming statistical advantage in moving the chains on offense and forcing punts on defense will convert to an overwhelming point advantage that makes the opponent more desperate and more predictable. Additionally, as the game wears on the Saints defense will be very tired and that will turn into an even greater disparity between our offense able to run the ball and dominate the opponent and our defense

Even though I think Saints may get a few chunk plays, as long as they are rare and they don't convert into points it will be meaningless if Vikings defense buckles down as they have. Yes, any given Sunday, turnovers and mistakes have a non zero chance of happening, standard disclaimer... etc.

Against average opponents Saints have been good at generating big plays and Kamara has been good at forcing missed tackles. The Saints are playing an elite team. So Viking have to show up and continue to be one of the best tackling teams and I have a feeling Kendricks will have to make some key open field tackles. Fortunately they are good at keeping everything in front of them, tackling in the open field and forcing early pressure and checkdowns, throw aways, sacks and incompletions.

Skol clap! Skol
Skol clap! Skol
Repeat until Lombardi!

Yes, Brees is good... maybe he can come play for us next season and we can win the next 5 Super Bowls and he can enter the hall of fame as a Viking.
Skol clap!
TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings Toughest Opponent That We Will Annihilate

Post by TeamChaplain »

Yes, Brees is good... maybe he can come play for us next season and we can win the next 5 Super Bowls and he can enter the hall of fame as a Viking.
Skol clap!
I'd place my bets on Keenum's next 5 years as opposed to Brees. I only hope we can keep this offense together and see how things progress.
From the Fjords of ValHalla
SuburbannSaint
Waterboy

Post by SuburbannSaint »

mike2mike wrote:First, let's apply the standard disclaimer. The past doesn't always equal the future and people tend to underestimate the depth of what we do not know. That fact could actually favor the Saints, but it also could favor the Vikes even more than we think as well.

The Vikings defense is out of this world in terms of 3rd down defense. They are the best defense ever in the modern era and the stats only go back 27 years so they could be the best defense of all time on 3rd downs. The Saints offense is good mostly because in the past they had chunk plays. But the Vikings are excellent at shutting the QB down And forcing early pressure and checkdowns, throw aways, sacks and incompletions and tackling and keeping everything in front of them which prevents such things. The Saints 3rd down offense is not that good. They rank 19th. Vikings rank 3rd on offense on 3rd down conversions. Saints defense on 3rd downs is 27th. And The Vikings aren't just #1 on third down defense... they're the greatest of all time.

The combination of moving the ball on offense, converting on third downs and forcing oponents to punt a lot meanwhile our punter hasn't had a touchback the entire season will be deadly for our opponents. If the past is even remotely representative of the future, the Vikings offense will move the ball, score or bury their opponent inside the 20, force the opponent to punt after 3 plays (or very few) and do it again and eventually the overwhelming statistical advantage in moving the chains on offense and forcing punts on defense will convert to an overwhelming point advantage that makes the opponent more desperate and more predictable. Additionally, as the game wears on the Saints defense will be very tired and that will turn into an even greater disparity between our offense able to run the ball and dominate the opponent and our defense

Even though I think Saints may get a few chunk plays, as long as they are rare and they don't convert into points it will be meaningless if Vikings defense buckles down as they have. Yes, any given Sunday, turnovers and mistakes have a non zero chance of happening, standard disclaimer... etc.

Against average opponents Saints have been good at generating big plays and Kamara has been good at forcing missed tackles. The Saints are playing an elite team. So Viking have to show up and continue to be one of the best tackling teams and I have a feeling Kendricks will have to make some key open field tackles. Fortunately they are good at keeping everything in front of them, tackling in the open field and forcing early pressure and checkdowns, throw aways, sacks and incompletions.

Skol clap! Skol
Skol clap! Skol
Repeat until Lombardi!

Skol clap!

So thats how you buck yourself up before a game? Bravo... For the record, your not even close to being the best defense ever.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

SuburbannSaint wrote:

So thats how you buck yourself up before a game? Bravo... For the record, your not even close to being the best defense ever.
He didnt say ever. But I would say we are top 3 in the last 20 years. When you're #1 in total defense, #2 in rushing, #2 in passing, #1 in NFL HISTORY in 3rd down defense, #1 in points allowed with only 15.6 that goes a long way
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

We are certainly according to numbers the greatest defense on 3rd down statistically of all time (since records have been kept). Yes not only better than the 2000 Ravens on third down but substantially better then them on 3rd down. I never said overall greatest of all time, though... Although in both points per game and yards per game they are statistically better than the 2015 Broncos. They have to show up and dominate in the playoffs and Super Bowl to build a legacy and enter the conversation, and I will leave that to the historians.

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/w ... e-so-good/

2017 Vikings: 279.8 yards allowed per game. 15.8 points allowed per game.
2015 Broncos: 283.1 yards per game. 18.5 points allowed per game.
The Vikings also faced 5 top 10 offenses and were 4-1 against them.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

To even be in the conversation of the greatest you have to win a Super Bowl. The Raven's defense with Trent Dilfer was the best. They were the only defense I ever saw that you genuinely had to be worried about how many points they might score.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I think the Vikings are better than that 2015 Broncos defense, but not as good as the 2013 Seahawks defense. Definitely not greatest ever, but that's ok.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mosscarter wrote:To even be in the conversation of the greatest you have to win a Super Bowl. The Raven's defense with Trent Dilfer was the best. They were the only defense I ever saw that you genuinely had to be worried about how many points they might score.
What a shock. You're selling the Vikings short.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

SuburbannSaint wrote:So thats how you buck yourself up before a game? Bravo... For the record, your not even close to being the best defense ever.
Troll much?

Come back Monday after your season is over. We'll talk then.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
mike2mike
Starter

Post by mike2mike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Troll much?

Come back Monday after your season is over. We'll talk then.
Bump!