Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by TSonn »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If the last 2 games we played, that we could have lost, with so much on the line, doesnt worry some of you, it should.
I agree that the offensive didn't look great the last two weeks but I believe that Shurmur played overly conservative in those games to limit turnovers/let our defense win and also not give playoff teams much to study in the final weeks of the season.

Even if this wasn't the case, they have 2 weeks to get their offense in rhythm. Coming out of the bye week against WAS the offense was firing on all cylinders so either way I feel like we're going to ready to go.

I'm actually more concerned that the defense comes out flat (kinda like against WAS after the bye) but I think being the last game of the weekend will get the guys pumped up watching everyone else first.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Can the mods please delete this post? I'm not trying to see stuff like this while I'm mentally prepare for one of the biggest Vikings games this weekend.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Falcons34 wrote:I don't worry about teams.... I just cheer on the team....I would worry if I lived vicaurisouly though the Falcons. Its cheer hard no matter what, win or lose. If they win Saturday night....ok, if they lose ok.....it has no bearing on my success and what I can control so why worry
Dude, learn how to quote prior messages. It's not that hard. You can preview your messages before posting even.

As to the sentiment you express here, glad to hear you have the time not only to cheer on your team (while misspelling vicariously - spell check is also a feature of the board), but also the time to come to the message board of a team your team isn't even playing to attempt to troll a fan of said team.

I'm not a mod on here, but if I were, I'd ban you for trolling until the Vikings beat the Falcons, at which point I'd let you back on.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Ok if the Vikings win on Sunday will moss carter start a thread titled "the better team lost today?"
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

720pete wrote:Ok if the Vikings win on Sunday will moss carter start a thread titled "the better team lost today?"
After watching the incredible successful season, this thread is basically saying forget what you saw and watch the Vikings lose a game that won't be close. Forgive my firm belief that we're being played with, as in "How to keep an idiot busy."
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Part of what I don't like is the fact that many fans (and media) have basically penciled us into the Super Bowl. I mean seriously, who writes an article about whether or not we will be able to use all of our "normal" amenities during the Super Bowl, or if we will get our home locker room? Keep in mind, we haven't even won a game and people were saying that. After everything I've been through with this team the last thing I need to read is someone acting like it's a certainty.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

mosscarter wrote:Part of what I don't like is the fact that many fans (and media) have basically penciled us into the Super Bowl. I mean seriously, who writes an article about whether or not we will be able to use all of our "normal" amenities during the Super Bowl, or if we will get our home locker room? Keep in mind, we haven't even won a game and people were saying that. After everything I've been through with this team the last thing I need to read is someone acting like it's a certainty.
Most of the posts about the media around here complain that we don’t get enough respect. Now we get too much respect? Next we’ll be complaining that the refs gave us too many favorable calls.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mosscarter wrote:Part of what I don't like is the fact that many fans (and media) have basically penciled us into the Super Bowl. I mean seriously, who writes an article about whether or not we will be able to use all of our "normal" amenities during the Super Bowl, or if we will get our home locker room? Keep in mind, we haven't even won a game and people were saying that. After everything I've been through with this team the last thing I need to read is someone acting like it's a certainty.
What you're referring to is speculation regarding a rare event (in fact, an event that has never happened) - a team playing a Superbowl in it's home stadium. People are just speculating on what that would be like. I don't think anyone is saying it is going to happen.

Quite to the contrary, most of what I'm reading in the national press seems to mirror your thinking, that Drew Brees and his playoff experience, coupled with Case Keenum and his inexperience, is going to be the difference in the game. Heck, Troy Aikman almost had his foot too far down his throat to take it out when he started talking about this during the Saints-Panthers game, and I just heard another radio commentator say essentially the same thing.

It almost seems to me like nobody believes these Vikings are for real. So quite the opposite of what you're saying is true as it seems the national media, at least, is pre-disposed to thinking the Saints are the better team and on a clear path to the Superbowl.

I don't know what will happen in the upcoming game(s) for the Vikings, but, if anything, I'm sick and tired about hearing about Drew Brees and how great he is, or Matt Ryan, or Ben R, or Tom Brady for that matter. Screw them all - the Vikings defense can take any of them apart (and will).
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Dmizzle0 wrote:Can the mods please delete this post? I'm not trying to see stuff like this while I'm mentally prepare for one of the biggest Vikings games this weekend.

So dont read it? The thread title is pretty obvious on what its about.
Breesus
Practice Squad

Post by Breesus »

Hi All, Saints fan here from the deep south, where it's a balmy 50 deg. I promise I'm not here to troll, though I think the OP may be. Just wanted to read fan thoughts and give you the opponents take...

I would've much preferred to play the Iggles in the Divisional round, and I think the Failcons will will come away with that win. That's not good for the Vikes or the Saints because I think they are the most dangerous 6th seed we've seen in a while.

I think we all agree that the Vikes have a serviceable offense and a very good defense, just as the Saints have a serviceable defense and a very good offense. The best thing the Vikes can do is mimic the Panthers strategy in the wild card round - stack the box and take the running game away. This didn't work well for the Panthers because Brees lit them up, but the Panthers don't have Rhoads and two outstanding safeties. If the Vikes secondary can effectively man-up on Saints receivers, then the Vikes front seven will give Brees trouble. I've seen a lot of comments here about Brees being immobile, but I would disagree. He's no Russell Wilson, but he has an excellent awareness of closing pressure and is athletic enough to scramble. He's also very good at throwing on the run. Still, if the run game is slowed and the Vikes get pressure, Brees will have trouble.

The other side of the ball is a big question mark for me. The Saints D is an opportunistic, bend-but-don't-break group with a couple of elite playmakers - Cam Jordan and Marshon Lattimore. Lattimore will probably post up on Thielen all day, and that should be a good matchup. However, other than our rook free safety, Williams, the rest of the Saints defensive backfield is generally weak. They can all make plays, but they can all get burnt as well. The Saints have been middling against the run, but I'm not overly concerned with Murray. I think McKinnon will pose a bigger problem.

So, elite offense (#2) meets elite defense (#1). It will be a great battle, but the game comes down to a middling Vikes offense (#11) versus a middling Saints defense (#17). Saints 28, Vikes 24

Wish I could make it up there to your fine city. Good luck and have fun, and try to be hospitable to the handful of Saints fans you encounter. I promise if you ever make it down to the Superdome, you'll be welcomed and shown a good time. The only battles should be on the field.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If the last 2 games we played, that we could have lost, with so much on the line, doesnt worry some of you, it should. To say Case is as good as Brees is absurd. How many seasons has Case had like this last one? Thats right, none. Brees has them every year since he came into the league, except for his first year or 2. They are as well rounded as we are, we are better on D, they have a better O. I think we can beat them, and the Pats, but its no cake walk, history means nothing. This may be the last shot we have of a well rounded, well coached team in a long time. I have the purple shades off, and am very worried about the Saints.
Why are you so honed in on the last two games? The Saints lost to the Bucs week 17, who have the worst, I repeat, the worst pass defense in the entire NFL and a middle offense at best.

What Case has done in the past means nothing right now. No different than Brees. No different than when fans bring up what Rick Spielman did in Miami. WHO CARES?! It does not matter one bit.

And nobody has "purple shades" on. I think most of us just believe in this team and believe they can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime. Especially when we're at home.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The Falcons bring up some interesting dimensions to this topic.

Consider, the Vikings Defense went into ATL and held them to 9 points in their own house. I consider this game an excellent litmus for how the Vikings will match up vs. the Saints.

Rhodes held Jones to something like 20 or 30 yards passing. I humbly submit that while Michael Thomas is showing himself to be a decent player he is not in the same class as Julio Jones. Therefore why should it be expected the Thomas is going to find a gap in Rhodes' coverage, something the elite in the NFL haven't done?

On the other side of the ball the comparison is less apt. Sanu Jr. is not the same kind of WR as Ginn. However Waynes is quite fast, so he should be able to handle Ted Ginn.

I just do not find it at all persuasive that the Vikings secondary is going to have trouble with this group of WR.

From there we got the RB, the real teeth of the Saints offense. The Vikings have yet to have major issues with RB based passing game, against dealing with the ATL RB passing game quite effectively, basically nullifying it. On this one the comparison in terms of player quality might be more appropriate. Kamara is probably closer in talent level or better than Freeman where Thomas vs. Jones is a little bit silly.

Still, the common thread here is the Vikings D has stood up to the test. There is no reason to think it won't hold up on Sunday.

Oh and saying we have a serviceable offense is a bit silly IMO. Don't let rosy QB colored glasses fool you. We sport probably the best WR tandem in the NFL. A top 10 TE, and the best no name OL in the league this year. This unit went weeks (!) without giving up a sack. The RB stable has less notoriety, but it has been getting the job done and not just against cream puff opposition. The reason we do not get any respect is our QB is named Case Keenum, but the results on the field do not lie. Maybe Lattimore can slow down Thielen, but who is going to cover Diggs? Carolina has a terrible WR corps and even worse OL. The Vikings will be another thing entirely.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mansquatch wrote:The Falcons bring up some interesting dimensions to this topic.

Consider, the Vikings Defense went into ATL and held them to 9 points in their own house. I consider this game an excellent litmus for how the Vikings will match up vs. the Saints.

Rhodes held Jones to something like 20 or 30 yards passing. I humbly submit that while Michael Thomas is showing himself to be a decent player he is not in the same class as Julio Jones. Therefore why should it be expected the Thomas is going to find a gap in Rhodes' coverage, something the elite in the NFL haven't done?

On the other side of the ball the comparison is less apt. Sanu Jr. is not the same kind of WR as Ginn. However Waynes is quite fast, so he should be able to handle Ted Ginn.

I just do not find it at all persuasive that the Vikings secondary is going to have trouble with this group of WR.

From there we got the RB, the real teeth of the Saints offense. The Vikings have yet to have major issues with RB based passing game, against dealing with the ATL RB passing game quite effectively, basically nullifying it. On this one the comparison in terms of player quality might be more appropriate. Kamara is probably closer in talent level or better than Freeman where Thomas vs. Jones is a little bit silly.

Still, the common thread here is the Vikings D has stood up to the test. There is no reason to think it won't hold up on Sunday.

Oh and saying we have a serviceable offense is a bit silly IMO. Don't let rosy QB colored glasses fool you. We sport probably the best WR tandem in the NFL. A top 10 TE, and the best no name OL in the league this year. This unit went weeks (!) without giving up a sack. The RB stable has less notoriety, but it has been getting the job done and not just against cream puff opposition. The reason we do not get any respect is our QB is named Case Keenum, but the results on the field do not lie. Maybe Lattimore can slow down Thielen, but who is going to cover Diggs? Carolina has a terrible WR corps and even worse OL. The Vikings will be another thing entirely.
You make a lot of good points. I'm wondering if Linval will line up over Warford or Peat's replacement. I think they should put him over the backup where he can wreak the most havoc.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
So dont read it? The thread title is pretty obvious on what its about.
FOH with that. At least wait until the game is over to make post on who was better or not. This is a big game for the Vikings and the fans Im extra hyped this week and Im looking out for fellow fans that just as hyped as me.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Dmizzle0 wrote: FOH with that. At least wait until the game is over to make post on who was better or not. This is a big game for the Vikings and the fans Im extra hyped this week and Im looking out for fellow fans that just as hyped as me.
Agreed. I'd rather not come on here and see threads from our own fans saying the Saints are a better team (which on paper and by what analysts are saying, they are not). I want to come on here and enjoy the excitement with all our fans and BELIEVE in this team. Not listen to all the negatives.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri