Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by soflavike »

Case Keenum doesn't have to be better than Drew Brees for the Vikes to win this game. He has to be good enough. He can do that. :govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

VikingLord wrote: Dude, learn how to quote prior messages. It's not that hard. You can preview your messages before posting even.

As to the sentiment you express here, glad to hear you have the time not only to cheer on your team (while misspelling vicariously - spell check is also a feature of the board), but also the time to come to the message board of a team your team isn't even playing to attempt to troll a fan of said team.

I'm not a mod on here, but if I were, I'd ban you for trolling until the Vikings beat the Falcons, at which point I'd let you back on.

1) I know how to quote
2)I knew I misspelled
3) why you mad tho
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I'm simply calling it like I see it. I was at the Steeler game early on in the year and that offensive performance was as bad as I've ever seen. At the end of the day, they have Brees, and we have Keenum. Now, maybe this is Keenum's breakout year and he will take strides forward (albeit likely not with us sadly), or is he one game away from what he's done for the majority of his career? That is why I have an uneasy feeling with this match up--our defense simply cannot have a letdown in any capacity for this team to win from here out. That is a lot to ask.
In 98 I felt we would win, in 09 I felt the same, and in 2015 I thought we would lose. I find it hard to imagine how fans (true fans) cannot overlook the bad misfortunes of this franchise. You can sit there and say there is no curse all you want, well how else do you explain some of the things that happened? We had a freaking kicker not miss an extra point or field goal all year are you kidding me!! Nobody can script something that absurd. Then, after Favre put in the guttiest performance I've ever seen, we literally had the overtime rules rewritten over the fact that people literally felt bad for us (part of me truly believes that). Sorry for feeling this way, but my question is what could possibly be next? I've simply been conditioned to disappointment with this team and I apologize if I brought others down because of that. I see a Saints team that can win via the run or the pass, and that is a tall order for any defense to face.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Breesus wrote:Hi All, Saints fan here from the deep south, where it's a balmy 50 deg. I promise I'm not here to troll, though I think the OP may be. Just wanted to read fan thoughts and give you the opponents take...

I would've much preferred to play the Iggles in the Divisional round, and I think the Failcons will will come away with that win. That's not good for the Vikes or the Saints because I think they are the most dangerous 6th seed we've seen in a while.

I think we all agree that the Vikes have a serviceable offense and a very good defense, just as the Saints have a serviceable defense and a very good offense. The best thing the Vikes can do is mimic the Panthers strategy in the wild card round - stack the box and take the running game away. This didn't work well for the Panthers because Brees lit them up, but the Panthers don't have Rhoads and two outstanding safeties. If the Vikes secondary can effectively man-up on Saints receivers, then the Vikes front seven will give Brees trouble. I've seen a lot of comments here about Brees being immobile, but I would disagree. He's no Russell Wilson, but he has an excellent awareness of closing pressure and is athletic enough to scramble. He's also very good at throwing on the run. Still, if the run game is slowed and the Vikes get pressure, Brees will have trouble.

The other side of the ball is a big question mark for me. The Saints D is an opportunistic, bend-but-don't-break group with a couple of elite playmakers - Cam Jordan and Marshon Lattimore. Lattimore will probably post up on Thielen all day, and that should be a good matchup. However, other than our rook free safety, Williams, the rest of the Saints defensive backfield is generally weak. They can all make plays, but they can all get burnt as well. The Saints have been middling against the run, but I'm not overly concerned with Murray. I think McKinnon will pose a bigger problem.

So, elite offense (#2) meets elite defense (#1). It will be a great battle, but the game comes down to a middling Vikes offense (#11) versus a middling Saints defense (#17). Saints 28, Vikes 24

Wish I could make it up there to your fine city. Good luck and have fun, and try to be hospitable to the handful of Saints fans you encounter. I promise if you ever make it down to the Superdome, you'll be welcomed and shown a good time. The only battles should be on the field.
I think this is a fair take for what looks to be a very good game.

FWIW, I was at the week 1 game and defended a Saints family against an obviously drunk Vikings fan that wouldn't stop harassing them. I'd like to think our fanbase is good for the most part with just a few bad eggs.

I think this is the Vikings year and we finally get the Lombardy but we will see. BTW, we pray to Kneesus around here for obvious reasons.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

mosscarter wrote:I'm simply calling it like I see it. I was at the Steeler game early on in the year and that offensive performance was as bad as I've ever seen. At the end of the day, they have Brees, and we have Keenum. Now, maybe this is Keenum's breakout year and he will take strides forward (albeit likely not with us sadly), or is he one game away from what he's done for the majority of his career? That is why I have an uneasy feeling with this match up--our defense simply cannot have a letdown in any capacity for this team to win from here out. That is a lot to ask.
In 98 I felt we would win, in 09 I felt the same, and in 2015 I thought we would lose. I find it hard to imagine how fans (true fans) cannot overlook the bad misfortunes of this franchise. You can sit there and say there is no curse all you want, well how else do you explain some of the things that happened? We had a freaking kicker not miss an extra point or field goal all year are you kidding me!! Nobody can script something that absurd. Then, after Favre put in the guttiest performance I've ever seen, we literally had the overtime rules rewritten over the fact that people literally felt bad for us (part of me truly believes that). Sorry for feeling this way, but my question is what could possibly be next? I've simply been conditioned to disappointment with this team and I apologize if I brought others down because of that. I see a Saints team that can win via the run or the pass, and that is a tall order for any defense to face.
Let me address this. Two players make up most of their offense. Kamara and Ingrahm. Stop them and you stop the Saints.

Yards from scrimmage.

Code: Select all

Mark Ingram	   1540
Alvin Kamara	  1554
Michael Thomas	1245
Ted Ginn	       826
Brandon Coleman	364
Coby Fleener	   295
Vikings are more balanced on offense.

Yards from scrimmage.

Adam Thielen	    1287
Jerick McKinnon	  991
Latavius Murray	  945
Stefon Diggs	     862
Kyle Rudolph	     532
Laquon Treadwell	 200
Jarius Wright	    198
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Raptorman wrote: Let me address this. Two players make up most of their offense. Kamara and Ingrahm. Stop them and you stop the Saints.

Yards from scrimmage.

Mark Ingram	   1540
Alvin Kamara	  1554
Michael Thomas	1245
Ted Ginn	       826
Brandon Coleman	364
Coby Fleener	   295
Vikings are more balanced on offense.

Yards from scrimmage.

Adam Thielen	    1287
Jerick McKinnon	  991
Latavius Murray	  945
Stefon Diggs	     862
Kyle Rudolph	     532
Laquon Treadwell	 200
Jarius Wright	    198
Good post. I agree. I think Rhodes can cover Thomas. Can Waynes take Ted Ginn?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

BTW, you know who the second best RB duo (in rushing the ball)is since Cook went down in week 4? Ingrahm and Kamara are number one. But Mckinnon and Murray are number two. Something that no one seems to have noticed.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

That is a good point there Raptorman and it brings me some optimistic vibes with both rushing attacks. Waynes can cover Ginn every day of the week, but can we stop the run too? That is the question.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:I'm simply calling it like I see it. I was at the Steeler game early on in the year and that offensive performance was as bad as I've ever seen. At the end of the day, they have Brees, and we have Keenum. Now, maybe this is Keenum's breakout year and he will take strides forward (albeit likely not with us sadly), or is he one game away from what he's done for the majority of his career? That is why I have an uneasy feeling with this match up--our defense simply cannot have a letdown in any capacity for this team to win from here out. That is a lot to ask.
What does week 2 vs. the Steelers have anything to do with this weekends game?!! Again, the Saints just lost to the Bucs who we dominated WITH Keenum. Explain that one. No less you're overlooking that the Saints really struggle on the road. They are 4-4 this year. And they only had 5 losses. No less Brees is 1-4 in his career on the road in the playoffs. Quit sucking the wind out of everyones sails and relax.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mosscarter wrote:That is a good point there Raptorman and it brings me some optimistic vibes with both rushing attacks. Waynes can cover Ginn every day of the week, but can we stop the run too? That is the question.
We've stopped the run AND the pass all year. There is no reason to say we couldnt. We completely shut down the Rams. Who have a great running and passing attack. And who also beat the Saints. You're living in the negative right now dude. I get why, because this team has let us down in the past but just like everyone else is saying, this is a different Vikings team and possibly the most complete Vikings team we as fans have ever seen. From GM to coaches, from offense to defense. Sit back and have a drink. Calm the nerves
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

You are what your record says you are.
Bill Parcells

Our record says we're better than the Saints.

Next question.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I find it interesting that you'll base your opinion off of one game, the Pittsburgh game, but you completely throw out the one game we actually played against the Saints (and destroyed them). You're discounting the fact that the Saints lost to Tampa, whom we thrashed. You're discounting the fact that the Saints are actually pretty lucky to still be breathing after the choke job by Drew Brees. You're ignoring the fact that we're outscoring our opponents by an average of 25-12 at USB, and that includes the 14-7 loss to Detroit. You're basing all this doom and gloom on ONE GAME at Pittsburgh, plus two other games that happened 8 years and 20 years ago. Makes no sense, bro.

We're winning this game. I would be surprised if it's not by double digits.

And by the way, Case Keenum already has taken strides forward. Or did you just stop watching after the Pittsburgh game?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Falcons34 wrote: 3) why you mad tho
Because I'm on a Vikings fan board as a fan of the Vikings and I'm entitled to be a homer here. I didn't go to a Falcons fan board and say anything about Case Keenum. I didn't go to a Saints fan board and say anything about Case Keenum. I'm on a Vikings board.

I've been a fan of the Vikings since I can remember. I've watched them blow it in key situations time and time again. I've watched them as underdogs that stomped heavily favored opponents (thinking 1987) until crashing and burning short of the Superbowl to being the heavily favored team that loses to the underdog, often in incredibly improbable ways (1998 comes to mind). So I'm entitled to come on this board as a long suffering fan of this team and dream that this time is going to different, that this QB who basically was thrown on the NFL trash heap and plucked off it by Rick Spielman with a baseline $2 million one-year contract to be the team's 3rd string QB can accomplish what Vikings football royalty like Joe Kapp, Fran Tarkenton, Randal Cunningham, Daunte Culpepper and yes, Brett Favre, could not accomplish. Yeah, here I'm entitled to that dream, and I don't need, nor appreciate, fans from teams the Vikings aren't even playing to come on here and "lol" at it. In fact, nobody here needs that, wants that, or should have to put up with that.

Come back if the Vikings and Falcons make it out of the divisional round.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mosscarter wrote:That is a good point there Raptorman and it brings me some optimistic vibes with both rushing attacks. Waynes can cover Ginn every day of the week, but can we stop the run too? That is the question.
Why couldn't we?

Vikes can man up on the Saints WRs. They've shut down more complete passing attacks and better WRs than what the Saints bring to the table.

Vikes front seven finished #1 against the run this year. Saints have had a good run game, sure, but if there is a defense that can slow it down significantly, it's this one. Saint RBs have also been prolific pass catchers this year, but guess what? Vikes have LBs that match up well against that kind of offensive threat in Barr and Kendricks, both of whom are capable of getting into coverage and making plays against the pass. Brees is going to find very tight windows in which to throw it. If the Vikes can get substantial pressure with 4 rushers, the Saints should be toast on offense, and then it just comes down to the Vikings offense getting it done on their side of the ball.

One thing has always been, is, and will be true - great defense trumps great offense, all other things equal. This is magnified when the great defense has home field and the great offense has to deal with crowd noise.

The x-factor in this game is Drew Brees. You are right to point that out. He's the x-factor not because he's the better QB per se, but because the guy has shown he can elevate his game in pressure situations. You are correct to say that Keenum hasn't done that as a pro yet, but its not because he can't or won't. He hasn't done it because he's never had the chance. He'll get his chance this Sunday.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Breesus wrote:Hi All, Saints fan here from the deep south, where it's a balmy 50 deg. I promise I'm not here to troll, though I think the OP may be. Just wanted to read fan thoughts and give you the opponents take...

I would've much preferred to play the Iggles in the Divisional round, and I think the Failcons will will come away with that win. That's not good for the Vikes or the Saints because I think they are the most dangerous 6th seed we've seen in a while.

I think we all agree that the Vikes have a serviceable offense and a very good defense, just as the Saints have a serviceable defense and a very good offense. The best thing the Vikes can do is mimic the Panthers strategy in the wild card round - stack the box and take the running game away. This didn't work well for the Panthers because Brees lit them up, but the Panthers don't have Rhoads and two outstanding safeties. If the Vikes secondary can effectively man-up on Saints receivers, then the Vikes front seven will give Brees trouble. I've seen a lot of comments here about Brees being immobile, but I would disagree. He's no Russell Wilson, but he has an excellent awareness of closing pressure and is athletic enough to scramble. He's also very good at throwing on the run. Still, if the run game is slowed and the Vikes get pressure, Brees will have trouble.

The other side of the ball is a big question mark for me. The Saints D is an opportunistic, bend-but-don't-break group with a couple of elite playmakers - Cam Jordan and Marshon Lattimore. Lattimore will probably post up on Thielen all day, and that should be a good matchup. However, other than our rook free safety, Williams, the rest of the Saints defensive backfield is generally weak. They can all make plays, but they can all get burnt as well. The Saints have been middling against the run, but I'm not overly concerned with Murray. I think McKinnon will pose a bigger problem.

So, elite offense (#2) meets elite defense (#1). It will be a great battle, but the game comes down to a middling Vikes offense (#11) versus a middling Saints defense (#17). Saints 28, Vikes 24

Wish I could make it up there to your fine city. Good luck and have fun, and try to be hospitable to the handful of Saints fans you encounter. I promise if you ever make it down to the Superdome, you'll be welcomed and shown a good time. The only battles should be on the field.
Nice take.

Unfortunately for you, there's no way your team is putting up 28 against the Vikings at US Bank Stadium.

No team has scored more than the 19 your team put up against the Vikes in our building on opening night. And as we all know, you guys had just four field goals for 12 points until garbage time. Only four teams ALL SEASON scored as many as 20 against the Vikings, road or home. Only two teams, Washington and Carolina, put up 28 or more at any point this season. If you put up 28 against us at home, I'll be absolutely shocked. This defense is the best you'll face all year.

And you should be concerned with Murray. He rushed for 745 yards over his last 10 games, coming on strong the further he was removed from offseason ankle surgery. He's playing at a very high level right now, and the Vikings are actually a better rushing team statistically with Murray and McKinnon than they were with Dalvin Cook, who was leading the league in rushing when he went down.

This is not a "middling" offense. Statistically, it's not where yours is, but it's easily top-third. It was top-10 for most of the season, dipping a bit the last two games in games the Vikings took early leads and milked clock.

I believe we're the better team, and we're at home. I'm not saying we can't lose, but I'd put our chances to win at 70%.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.