Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

ChicagoViking
Veteran

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by ChicagoViking »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:You know what a team like the Pats would have done to the Bears?
You know what a team like the Steelers or the Panthers would have done to the Bears? That's right. Lose. Both of those teams lost to the Bears; the Vikings did not -- including a gut-check win on the road when the Vikes played their worst 1st half of the season with an injured and completely immobile Sam Bradford.
PurpleKoolaid wrote:Or even the Packers in the cold?
Until this season, the Packers had not been shut out in Lambeau in 11 years. I was at that game this year. It was cold as f$ck. Coldest game at Lambeau in 4 seasons. And we still beat them 16-0. Hard to fault a team for not running up the score when you can't feel your extremities. Packers lost to Chiefs, Panthers, and Dolphins this season. Any given Sunday, my friend. Any given Sunday.
Neversaynever
Waterboy

Post by Neversaynever »

mosscarter wrote:I know this will totally come off the wrong way, but we are not the better overall football team. We have a better defense, but they have one of the GREATEST QB's to ever play the game. As much as Keenum has done, he isn't anywhere near Brees' level, and he hasn't had to come from behind at all this year. I actually have no expectations heading into this game and it is a good feeling for me. There is no way we win this game and if we do I'm glad to be called out by everyone.
I was lurking without being registered but couldn't resist responding to the logic.

The game Sunday isn't going to be decided by ESPN's ranking of the best all time qb's. Brees' career yards, Super Bowl win, or his multiple 70% completion seasons won't substitute for points on the board this Sunday. The overall best combination of offense, defense, special teams, and coaching will win this game. By your logic, Brees should have been undefeated this season because he's one of the top qb's (spare me).

Based on 2017 performance, Keenum absolutely should be mentioned in the same conversation with Brees when talking about which qb had the best season (Keenum: 25/8 td's to int's vs 23/8....in fewer games). Season passing percentage difference 72 / 67(or so) is minimal. When you factor in the cb's record for shutting down highly rated wr's, or limiting opposing offenses to 26% 3rd down conversions, advantage Vikings.

You also incorrectly said Keenum hasn't had to come back this year. One Sunday I left the room when he was down 24-13 late in the game against the Panthers and when I looked at the score again, the game was tied.

In another thread, you said the Vikings would get blown out. It left me with the strong feeling that this is a trollish thread because they've shut down great receivers (Julio Jones), great offenses (Rams), and great qb's (Brees, Stafford, etc). Bottom line, I don't fear the Saints defense, and was underwhelmed watching them against Carolina Sunday.

A blowout? As 808 said...... Lol.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

ChicagoViking wrote: You know what a team like the Steelers or the Panthers would have done to the Bears? That's right. Lose. Both of those teams lost to the Bears; the Vikings did not -- including a gut-check win on the road when the Vikes played their worst 1st half of the season with an injured and completely immobile Sam Bradford.
Until this season, the Packers had not been shut out in Lambeau in 11 years. I was at that game this year. It was cold as f$ck. Coldest game at Lambeau in 4 seasons. And we still beat them 16-0. Hard to fault a team for not running up the score when you can't feel your extremities. Packers lost to Chiefs, Panthers, and Dolphins this season. Any given Sunday, my friend. Any given Sunday.
Well said!
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

VikingLord wrote: If you are of the opinion the Vikes have no chance to win this game after what they've demonstrated all season, then you haven't been paying attention. If you're content to let the product of an entire season be reduced to the relative post season experience and reputation of the 2 starting QBs for each team, why come here and tell the rest of us? By that logic, the only time to pay attention or care about the Vikings is the next time they head into a season with a veteran QB who has gone deep into the playoffs before. Which they've done. Many times already. No Superbowl wins yet. And that's because it isn't that simple. It never was, and never will be.

Honestly, I'm happier this season than I've, well, ever been watching the Vikings primarily because they *don't* have those big-name offensive stars and the expectations that go with them. Better for us that people write off guys like Keenum and Thielen because they weren't high draft picks or big names heading into the season. Let everyone focus on guys like Brees and Sean Peyton. They can take all the pressure of expectations heading into this game. The no-name Vikings just need to get out the sledge hammers and go to work busting this Saints team and their stars up, then get ready to head on to the next demolition job. You can believe that or not. Your choice. But when the dust settles this year, that QB you give no credit to is going to be standing there holding the Lombardi trophy right alongside his lunch pail teammates.

Who knows? Maybe after this season is over, Case Keenum is going to be one of those veteran big-name QBs...
Hold on with keenum holding the Superbowl trophy......lol
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

I actually think there are quite a few rational reasons to fear the Saints but that doesn't mean the Vikings can't beat them. I'm expecting a hard-fought, competitive game but if they play up to their potential, the Vikes should advance.

You nit picker, Jim. :lol:

What I meant was that I don't see why fans should let past disappointments (as many and as deep as they have admittedly been) make us quiver before the Saints. They are a dangerous team, but I'm not queasy at the prospect of playing them at home to go to the NFCCG.

The key is our D vs. their O. I suspect we'll put up 20-28 points. The question is, will that be enough?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:You nit picker, Jim. :lol:
Sorry, I selfishly didn't want to think all of my concerns about the upcoming game are irrational. :)
What I meant was that I don't see why fans should let past disappointments (as many and as deep as they have admittedly been) make us quiver before the Saints. They are a dangerous team, but I'm not queasy at the prospect of playing them at home to go to the NFCCG.

... and you shouldn't be queasy. The Saints are a tough draw but the Vikes look like the better team. I feel great about their chances to win (and I've experienced the vast majority of those past disappointments!)
The key is our D vs. their O. I suspect we'll put up 20-28 points. The question is, will that be enough?
That's definitely the key matchup. I think a big key in the game will be finishing drives with TDs. Settling for FGs really hurt the Panthers yesterday.

I'm excited!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: You know what a team like the Pats would have done to the Bears? Or even the Packers in the cold? Demolished them. I thought we could have lost both of those games, and Case wasnt playing well, even at home. We won, but the games were meaningless to the teams we played, and meant a lot to us.
Bears had a really solid defense all year. Vikes did struggle against them at times, but there is no shame in that, especially considering it is a divisional opponent.

I was more surprised at how the Vikes struggled against the Packers, but I thought the Packer defense played really well that game. Also, penalties really hurt the Vikings in that game IIRC, as well as some sloppy execution. Maybe the Patriots would have done better, but maybe not.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Falcons34 wrote: Hold on with keenum holding the Superbowl trophy......lol
Don't you have the Eagles to worry about this week?
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Falcons34 wrote: Hold on with keenum holding the Superbowl trophy......lol
As long as he helps the team score more than 9 points, he should be ok.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

To hell with all these nattering nabobs of negativity... Or stats, or which QB is better.

We owe the Saints a whoopin' and we're gonna apply one unto them at The Bank. It's our time. :govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

You can believe that or not. Your choice. But when the dust settles this year, that QB you give no credit to is going to be standing there holding the Lombardi trophy right alongside his lunch pail teammates.

Who knows? Maybe after this season is over, Case Keenum is going to be one of those veteran big-name QBs...[/quote]
Hold on with keenum holding the Superbowl trophy......lol[/quote]

Don't you have the Eagles to worry about this week?[/quote]

I don't worry about teams.... I just cheer on the team....I would worry if I lived vicaurisouly though the Falcons. Its cheer hard no matter what, win or lose. If they win Saturday night....ok, if they lose ok.....it has no bearing on my success and what I can control so why worry
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Guys, I don’t know what all of this fuss is about. According to the all knowing ESPN, we have the easiest path to the super bowl:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Ba ... wl-lii-win
:roll:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If the last 2 games we played, that we could have lost, with so much on the line, doesnt worry some of you, it should. To say Case is as good as Brees is absurd. How many seasons has Case had like this last one? Thats right, none. Brees has them every year since he came into the league, except for his first year or 2. They are as well rounded as we are, we are better on D, they have a better O. I think we can beat them, and the Pats, but its no cake walk, history means nothing. This may be the last shot we have of a well rounded, well coached team in a long time. I have the purple shades off, and am very worried about the Saints.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If the last 2 games we played, that we could have lost, with so much on the line, doesnt worry some of you, it should.
The saints lost to a mediocre Tampa team in their last two games. The Vikings went 2-0, the saints should be worried trying to win on the road.

I'm sure it could be a tough game, but the Vikings are favored for a reason, being the better team and being at home.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Crax wrote: The saints lost to a mediocre Tampa team in their last two games. The Vikings went 2-0, the saints should be worried trying to win on the road.
Exactly. I don't follow any of this negative logic. Not to mention the fact that we already beat the Saints, I mean what more could you ask for? They're good, all teams in the divisional on the NFC side are, but we're at home against a team we've shown we can beat.

Also has any single person said Keenum is as good as Brees? I can't recall anyone saying it.