Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Saints also just beat a team that we couldnt.

To win the SB this year we have to face the 2 best teams (other then the Vikes) in the playoffs, the Saints and the Pats. And we played like crap our last 2 games, no excuses about the cold. We are not the team with the hot hand, the Saints are.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The Saints also just beat a team that we couldnt.

To win the SB this year we have to face the 2 best teams (other then the Vikes) in the playoffs, the Saints and the Pats. And we played like crap our last 2 games, no excuses about the cold. We are not the team with the hot hand, the Saints are.
Let's not forget, the Saints lost to the Bucs week 17. And yes, everyone played in that game because they were still battling for seeding. I wouldnt say the Saints are any hotter than we are.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

A lot of people (media) are talking about how the Saints are improved since week 1. I think our defense has improved significantly since week 1 and our running game has improved since then, too. Keenum might not make the throws that Bradford does, but he's harder to take down in the pocket and he can create way more with his feet. Our WRs are still the same guys that burned their DBs consistently in week 1.

I'm not over-confident because I don't trust Sean Payton and our team could come out rusty, but if both teams play their typical 2017 game, we win this by 7+.
Last edited by TSonn on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:We are not the team with the hot hand, the Saints are.
The Vikings have won three straight and 11 of the last 12.

The Saints are 3-2 over their last 5 and lost the game prior to Sunday.

But OK.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

dead_poet wrote: The Vikings have won three straight and 11 of the last 12.

But OK.
Yeah, it seems like just because the Saints are super cocky and have a swagger about them that they are on a roll.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Mothman wrote:

I actually think there are quite a few rational reasons to fear the Saints but that doesn't mean the Vikings can't beat them. I'm expecting a hard-fought, competitive game but if they play up to their potential, the Vikes should advance.
Well said. That pretty much mirrors my feelings. I feel a lot better about playing the Saints in the Vikings stadium than I would if the venue was reversed. Even then, however, I would not be "writing the Vikings off."

Frankly, I disagree with the OP's sentiment. I actually believe the Vikings are the better team, but that does not ensure a victory. If the Vikings they bring their game on Sunday, they will be in the NFC Championship game. We shall soon see... :smilevike:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

But OK.
Wouldn't a comparison over the same number of games make more sense?

Last 12 games:
Vikings are 11-1
Saints are 9-3

Last 5 games:

Vikings are 4-1
Saints are 3-2

It looks better for the Vikes if you go with the last 6 games. :)

Vikings are 5-1
Saints are 3-3
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Wouldn't a comparison over the same number of games make more sense?

Last 12 games:
Vikings are 11-1
Saints are 9-3

Last 5 games:

Vikings are 4-1
Saints are 3-2

It looks better for the Vikes if you go with the last 6 games. :)

Vikings are 5-1
Saints are 3-3
That took too much time. Thanks for picking up my slack.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:The Saints also just beat a team that we couldnt.
Let's be totally accurate here. The Saints beat a visiting Panthers team that we almost took to overtime in their own house. If not for an uncalled holding penalty against Barr (on Newton's run). It's likely we would have taken them to OT, and then who knows? Saying we couldn't is not accurate either. (We didn't, but we easily could've IMHO. It's not like we were 'blown out' by 40 points)

Secondly, we actually beat the team you seem to be suggesting we can't. Now I'll grant you that we have a different QB and running back at that time, but since the Saints only scored 19 points (with 7 of those basically coming in 'garbage' time when were simply trying to use up clock time) is it your position that the Saints will hold us to under 12 points for this game?

No we both know the actual game is likely to play out differently, but I really cannot understand he reluctance to give the Vikings their due in this one. I actually had more trepidation in the 09 game than I do about this one. I'm not positive we'll win, but I'm not worried about losing (If that makes any sense).
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

But OK.
You know what a team like the Pats would have done to the Bears? Or even the Packers in the cold? Demolished them. I thought we could have lost both of those games, and Case wasnt playing well, even at home. We won, but the games were meaningless to the teams we played, and meant a lot to us.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: You know what a team like the Pats would have done to the Bears? Or even the Packers in the cold? Demolished them. I thought we could have lost both of those games, and Case wasnt playing well, even at home. We won, but the games were meaningless to the teams we played, and meant a lot to us.
.....the Patriots lost to the Dolphins
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: .....the Patriots lost to the Dolphins
Beat me to it. That (IMHO) illustrates that Divison games are somewhat of a different animal and are not really a good measuring stick for this situation.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Actually I do have one more thing to say, AFTER we win on Sunday, I will be the one that starts a thread titled "MossCarter.....we told you so" :D Am I allowed to do that??!! :lol:
I wouldn't. I'd just let him be happy with the rest of us. :v):
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:That took too much time. Thanks for picking up my slack.
:lol: You're welcome. I like the 6 game comparison best. :)
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

As a lifelong Vikings fan who has endured countless disappointments, I see where this is coming from. As a fellow Vikings fan :v): said to me the other day, "the Vikings will find a way to screw this up". I hope he was wrong and I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.