Saints are the better team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

NCViking
Backup

Re: Saints are the better team

Post by NCViking »

Boon wrote:alot of people like to say that week 1 "doesn't count". essentially trying to scrap it off like some preseason game. That game allowed us to get a game up on them, and helped us get the 2 seed. just remember this, they JUST lost to the bucs. We essentially held them to 12 points had it not been for the primordial garbage time 3 deep safety prevent nonsense td we always seem to give up. They would get a few plays and then stall, over and over and over. 4 field goals.

The side argument to the "their offense wasn't in sync yet" is neither was our defense. I trust this defense against anyone right now. Like zim said, they have an edge to them. They are hungry and can smell blood in the water.

My view all season on the whole 'Saints offense wasn't in sync yet' is that it is a load of crap. People act like the Saints somehow changed after the Patriots game when they went on the big winning streak, but I just saw it as the Saints playing 2 of the top 4 teams in the league to start the season. The Saints just simply were not as good as them. Then, they got to go play mediocre teams like the Dolphins, Bears, Packers (/w Hundley), and Tampa Bay and of course they go on a big streak. Sure, their offense got better a little bit better over that time. Almost all teams get better as the season goes on as since they get more experience playing with each other, but I don't think they had some miraculous change where they became so much better than they were in their first couple games.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Moss we already have a saints thread going and you open a whole other thread stating the Saints are the better team...You trolling??

I agree with Cliff it's just you're opinion.

:govikes:
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

Trust me HalfGiz, I'm not trolling I just don't want another playoff disappointment is all. I have a sick feeling about this game.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

mosscarter wrote:Trust me HalfGiz, I'm not trolling I just don't want another playoff disappointment is all. I have a sick feeling about this game.
F-That. I'm super pumped for this game. If I end up disappointed then so be it - might as well be disappointed now because the Saints aren't the best team in the league this year and if we can't beat them we aren't winning the super bowl and if we aren't winning the super bowl I don't care when they exit. Besides, there aren't many more teams I'd like to see the Vikings beat in the playoffs.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Cliff wrote: F-That. I'm super pumped for this game. If I end up disappointed then so be it - might as well be disappointed now because the Saints aren't the best team in the league this year and if we can't beat them we aren't winning the super bowl and if we aren't winning the super bowl I don't care when they exit. Besides, there aren't many more teams I'd like to see the Vikings beat in the playoffs.

Same here.

My brother and I are flying in from Jersey and TX to see our first meaningful Vikings game live in 40 plus years of being fans from our youth in central MN. Couldn't be more excited and I love that it's the Taints that we get to play. It'll be raucous and I expect a very hard fought, electrifying game.

It's normal to brace yourself for the disappointment this time of year, emotions run high when the stakes do, but there's no rational reason to fear the Saints. We were the better team all season and I suspect that will show up once again on Sunday. Can't wait to be a part of it! :rock:
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

besides the pats or the steelers, the saints are the best team we will face. OK, bring it on. To be the best we have to beat the best. This is what we should want. It is what it is and the best team will will win the game. Go Vikes !!!! :govikes: :v): :appl:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:It's normal to brace yourself for the disappointment this time of year, emotions run high when the stakes do, but there's no rational reason to fear the Saints.

I actually think there are quite a few rational reasons to fear the Saints but that doesn't mean the Vikings can't beat them. I'm expecting a hard-fought, competitive game but if they play up to their potential, the Vikes should advance.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

However, I think you are equivocating Carolina to us and that is a mistake. Their defense gave up an 80 yard TD on like the 2nd play of the game. By half time they had surrendered 21 points. I know the media is bloviating about the Panther's red zone futility on offense, and that is a valid commentary, but that isn't the main reason they lost. The main reason they lost was their Defense surrendered 21 points by half time. It took then 2 1/2 quarters to consistently get Brees off the field without points. That is why they lost that game.

Digging deeper, the Panthers were mostly able to contain Kamara in the first half, but the problem was that their secondary was not up to the task of covering the Saints WR (Which are not scary) and their Front was unable to generate any kind of pass rush. In a word: Embarrassing. There is literally zero reason to expect the Vikings secondary to not be up to the task of covering that stable of WR and TE. They shut down far superior players during the regular season. I strongly doubt the Saints will even employ the same game plan vs. our Defense.

On offense, why should we feel that we cannot run on their defense at any level? Keep in mind, what we saw yesterday from Carolina was a rushing attack behind a woefully inadequate OL and a QB whose passing game is, shall we say, mediocre at best. In addition, their WR are nothing fabulous. Against the Vikings the Saints D are going to have fear what is probably the best overall WR group in football. Diggs and Thielen find ways to consistently get open. Rudolph is a major matchup issue vs. any LB or Safety. If they sell out to try and stop our power running game Keenum will be able to punish them over the top. I get that they have Latimore, but who is going to cover the other two?

The main concern I have is if their high risk defensive style can produce a few early turnovers we might be stuck in catch up mode which will allow Cameron Jordan to impact the game more than he should. However, Keenum has been pretty good against the blitz, so the Saints might fear doing that as it could put them at risk of being down 2 scores vs. our Defense which is an almost certain loss.

This weekend we saw the weaknesses of flawed teams exposed. Once again Jared Goff was shown to be not quite ready for prime time. Likewise, Jacksonville showed that while it's Defense is elite, it's QB play is woefully inadequate. In fact, I take back what I said about the Jags. Unless they generate some serious takeaways, against PIT and NE, they are not going to the SB. Bortles is not going to run for 80+ yards to salvage his anemic passing numbers and win a championship. The Panthers showed the state of the OL is bad and they really depend on the yin/yang of Newton to carry the day. Defensively, their secondary was once again exposed as not being up to the task against an elite passer.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Brees is 1-4 in road playoff games for his career (ironically, his only win happening in Philly against Nick Foles...).
He was also 4-4 in road games this year.
US Bank is one of the toughest (if not the toughest overall) places to play in the NFL.
Our home field advantage and defense should make him look like an average QB like it did week 1.

Plus, Keenum played better than Brees all season.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

TSonn wrote:Brees is 1-4 in road playoff games for his career (ironically, his only win happening in Philly against Nick Foles...).
Interesting, I did not know this. Glad to find another reason to be optimistic!
TSonn wrote:Plus, Keenum played better than Brees all season.
Against pressure, yes. But don't forget Brees set the accuracy record again this year and looked to be balling last night. The good news is that pressure against immobile quarterbacks is one of our specialties!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mosscarter wrote:I know this will totally come off the wrong way, but we are not the better overall football team. We have a better defense, but they have one of the GREATEST QB's to ever play the game. As much as Keenum has done, he isn't anywhere near Brees' level, and he hasn't had to come from behind at all this year. I actually have no expectations heading into this game and it is a good feeling for me. There is no way we win this game and if we do I'm glad to be called out by everyone.
If you are of the opinion the Vikes have no chance to win this game after what they've demonstrated all season, then you haven't been paying attention. If you're content to let the product of an entire season be reduced to the relative post season experience and reputation of the 2 starting QBs for each team, why come here and tell the rest of us? By that logic, the only time to pay attention or care about the Vikings is the next time they head into a season with a veteran QB who has gone deep into the playoffs before. Which they've done. Many times already. No Superbowl wins yet. And that's because it isn't that simple. It never was, and never will be.

Honestly, I'm happier this season than I've, well, ever been watching the Vikings primarily because they *don't* have those big-name offensive stars and the expectations that go with them. Better for us that people write off guys like Keenum and Thielen because they weren't high draft picks or big names heading into the season. Let everyone focus on guys like Brees and Sean Peyton. They can take all the pressure of expectations heading into this game. The no-name Vikings just need to get out the sledge hammers and go to work busting this Saints team and their stars up, then get ready to head on to the next demolition job. You can believe that or not. Your choice. But when the dust settles this year, that QB you give no credit to is going to be standing there holding the Lombardi trophy right alongside his lunch pail teammates.

Who knows? Maybe after this season is over, Case Keenum is going to be one of those veteran big-name QBs...
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Purple Domination wrote: Against pressure, yes. But don't forget Brees set the accuracy record again this year and looked to be balling last night. The good news is that pressure against immobile quarterbacks is one of our specialties!
I agree he looked good in the first half. Second half he struggled quite a bit. Plus, he was at home. My comment about Keenum playing better than Brees was simply going by passer rating and QBR. Keenum has him beat by a decent amount in both this year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Cliff wrote: F-That. I'm super pumped for this game. If I end up disappointed then so be it - might as well be disappointed now because the Saints aren't the best team in the league this year and if we can't beat them we aren't winning the super bowl and if we aren't winning the super bowl I don't care when they exit. Besides, there aren't many more teams I'd like to see the Vikings beat in the playoffs.
Agreed 100%. I have nothing else to say in this thread
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Actually I do have one more thing to say, AFTER we win on Sunday, I will be the one that starts a thread titled "MossCarter.....we told you so" :D Am I allowed to do that??!! :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri