Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Bring it New Orleans!!! Would love to get revenge on this team. Can’t stand them
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

Post by soflavike »

It's payback time. At THE BANK. :rock:

Time to destroy the Saints and their dirty tactics.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

It's going to be LOUD! Let's jump on their defense early and keep pressure on Brees. If we do that, I like our chances against the Aint's!
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

In case anybody needs a reminder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZCVCZNc50

If you want to relive the whole game... ugh.
https://youtu.be/-rUp-t386sU
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

Purple Domination wrote:It's going to be LOUD! Let's jump on their defense early and keep pressure on Brees. If we do that, I like our chances against the Aint's!
Agree with all that's been said.

This game has to be treated by those attending as important as the NFCCG because personally speaking - I think we beat the Saints and the road to Valhalla gets easier with the two remaining games (NFCCG & SB).

At the risk of appearing overconfident, we must show no fear as fans. They are going to look at our Forums as we do theirs and we cannot give the impression that we are cowering in the corner with our thumbs in our mouths. This is our opportunity to exact retribution for "Bountygate" and the dogpooh officiating in '09 and there should be plenty of signs hanging in the stands that remind the broadcast team and national audience of that.

I don't expect Keenum to light the field on fire, but if we can keep Brees contained and our offense and defense play mistake-free football then we should secure the win.

I am holding out to come to the NFCCG so for those attending Sunday - PLEASE PLEASE do what you can to make this the loudest, most inhospitable environment for a visiting team that you can. In the games I've attended at US Bank and the Metrodump, and from what I see every week on TV there are a fair number of fans that just sit on their hands and day dream. Please try to inspire them to get involved. We are on the cusp of making history - and that s... will last forever. Let's not screw this one up - either in the stands, or on the field.

SKOL and see you all in Minneapolis on the 21st :beerock: :smilevike: :govikes: :v):
Last edited by Trkn10 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I can't stand this team or their arrogant coach. I have never recovered from the Bounty gate game and the way Pete Morreli and his crew did everything possible to send them to the SB that year. I can still cite the specific plays .. the P.I. call on Leber.. the awarding of the 1st down when Pierre Thomas fumbled the ball and it was recovered behind the 1st down line etc etc. I need to get that erased from my memory and replace it with Ziggy and Zim standing on the podium accepting the trophy. That would heal alot of wounds. And I just pray that neither Morreli or Tony Corrente aren't involved !!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

We'll bookend this season of theirs with losses. Screw you Sean Payton.

The stars are aligned, just need to execute the game plan now.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have to admit I am still mad about the 2009
game and them rolling Farves legs ...

It’s time for them to suffer humiliation
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I'll never forget the 2009 NFC championship game ,I hope this week that the fans in attendance won't either.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Has Keenum faced any defenses this year that resemble the Saints' D? Seems like they rely on bringing pressure no matter the situation and have some weaknesses at LB. If I remember correctly, Keenum was one of the top QBs against the blitz this year so hopefully he can continue that success.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

Trkn10 wrote:I am holding out to come to the NFCCG so for those attending Sunday - PLEASE PLEASE do what you can to make this the loudest, most inhospitable environment for a visiting team that you can. In the games I've attended at US Bank and the Metrodump, and from what I see every week on TV there are a fair number of fans that just sit on their hands and day dream. Please try to inspire them to get involved. We are on the cusp of making history - and that s... will last forever. Let's not screw this one up - either in the stands, or on the field.
I'm flying up from Texas to attend the game and will do everything I can to keep the House of Pain LOUD! I do agree that an occasional fan sits on their hands, but I think we do better than most and have one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. This will be a big advantage come Sunday. Especially since it will be a reversal from what the Aint's experienced today. :rock:
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Oh my God have I been waiting for this Revenge game! If we avenge 2009 against the Saint, 1998 against the Falcons, and 1974 Steelers. My life will be set!

Trkn10
Practice Squad

Post by Trkn10 »

Purple Domination wrote: I'm flying up from Texas to attend the game and will do everything I can to keep the House of Pain LOUD! I do agree that an occasional fan sits on their hands, but I think we do better than most and have one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL. This will be a big advantage come Sunday. Especially since it will be a reversal from what the Aint's experienced today. :rock:
Awesome - thanks Purple D! :beerock:

It took me almost 4 days to get my voice back after the home opener in 2016 against the Packers. I'm afraid if I go to the NFCCG that I will do irreparable damage to not only myself, but the ears of those around me. :govikes:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Keys to beating the Saints:

- Get to Brees. He is not mobile. Like, not mobile at all. But if he can drop back and gets a clean pocket, he can kill. While most people talk about how the Saints are running the ball this year, the key to knocking the Saints off their stride will be pressure on Brees.
- Execute defensively. The Saints love their misdirection plays and those plays can really hurt defenses that don't stay disciplined and don't see those plays developing. The Vikings are normally not a defense that falls victim to misdirection, but if they don't stay home or are sloppy in tackling, the Saints will hurt them.
- I'm not as worried about the Saint running game. While those guys could certainly go off, I just don't see them having the luxury of focusing on running, nor much success doing it given the hostile and loud crowd and the success the Vikings have had stopping the run. Once again, the key will be staying at home and sure tackling, plus avoiding stupid penalties that keep drives alive.
- Offensively, this is a game where the Vikings should find a balanced and efficient attack to be effective. I think the Vikings can hurt the Saints both passing and running, and even moreso given the home crowd.
- Keenum will likely find himself under heavy pressure, at least initially. He has consistently beaten the blitz throughout the year, but my guess is Peyton will want to test him under playoff conditions and try to rattle him. If Keenum and the Vikings can deal with that pressure, the Saints will back off and try to slow them down. If they can't, they'll have to use the run to counter the pressure. Luckily, the Vikings have a credible running game, so I think they'll be able to counter what the Saints try to do.

I won't give a final score, but I think the Vikes will win, and my gut is telling me it will be a fairly comfortable margin in the end.

Whether that makes up for what happened in 2009, I don't know. Nothing can probably make up for that, but this is the team the Vikings have to beat to move on, so they have to beat them. Saints fans will ultimately be the ones to decide how painful that loss is to them. To me, it can't possibly be as bad as what the Saints did to the Vikings in 2009.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

If our Defense stays strong and keeps pressure on Brees we should be good. Offense just has to take care of the ball.

We need to watch out for their rb too