Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Divisional Round: Vikings vs Saints Pre-Game Discussion

Post by Boon »

https://youtu.be/0DA9Ll-K3_A

really well made hype video of thielen.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

808vikingsfan wrote:Before Wildcard weekend, the Rams were the media darlings of the NFC.

Now it's the Saints turn.

Been trying to overload on all the sports shows the past couple of days and I've come to the conclusion the Vikings are still under the radar. Yes there are a couple of websites choosing the Vikings to make it to the SB but as far as all the talking heads on TV, all I'm hearing is how much better Brees is over Keenum. I mean there's no way Keenum has a chance against a HOF QB right? Last I checked, football is a team sport. I've yet to hear one show analyze the Vikings D vs the Saints O and vise versa. Here's an example. Better QB? Saints. Better running attack? Saints. Better receivers(includes RBs)? Saints. Better Defense? Vikings. Better coach? Saints. Winner: Saints!
It has been the same story all season. We might have broken through the media blinders if we had beaten Carolina and captured the #1 seed with a 14-2 record, but otherwise it is the same old "cult of the QB" crap. It is the same reason everyone said GB was the best team in the NFC at the start of the season. Its is the same reason we all get annoyed at all the fawning over Rogers and the Packers every season.

After the Saints game last week, the Fox crew (Long, Bradshaw, etc.) were talking about how the Vikings Defense would be a far more challenging unit for the Saints to face than the Panthers. They made it obvious that they felt the Vikings were a superior defense.

Bottom line, we are not getting respect because the media thought process is basically QB >>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else. Our team has turned that idea on it's head, but until we win a Lombardi trophy they won't notice. Heck even if we do win it, there will still probably be some who talk about it as a fluke. All because our QB is named Case Keenum.

Enjoy their group thing and learn from it. But don't let it get you down.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

mansquatch wrote: It has been the same story all season. We might have broken through the media blinders if we had beaten Carolina and captured the #1 seed with a 14-2 record, but otherwise it is the same old "cult of the QB" crap. It is the same reason everyone said GB was the best team in the NFC at the start of the season. Its is the same reason we all get annoyed at all the fawning over Rogers and the Packers every season.

After the Saints game last week, the Fox crew (Long, Bradshaw, etc.) were talking about how the Vikings Defense would be a far more challenging unit for the Saints to face than the Panthers. They made it obvious that they felt the Vikings were a superior defense.

Bottom line, we are not getting respect because the media thought process is basically QB >>>>>>>>>>>> Everything else. Our team has turned that idea on it's head, but until we win a Lombardi trophy they won't notice. Heck even if we do win it, there will still probably be some who talk about it as a fluke. All because our QB is named Case Keenum.

Enjoy their group thing and learn from it. But don't let it get you down.
Well said brother! It is very annoying. The sad thing is, dont be surprised that if we win the Super Bowl, the Packers are still picked to win the NFC North going into next year. All because of Aaron Rodgers. What these analysts dont realize, we've proved that we can beat Aaron Rodgers. More than once. And this team is currently the best it has been since Zimmer has gotten here. It bothers me that nobody shows us much love but I'm use to it and I enjoy being the underdog.

Two guys that do love us though..... Peter Schraeger of Good Morning Football and Bucky Brooks from Move The Sticks. I still say that Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah are the two smartest minds out there. Especially when it comes to the draft. They were both former scouts for quite some time and know their sh##. And week after week, Bucky Brooks picks us to win. Just watched their clip regarding this upcoming game and he said we would win and then get to the Super Bowl. I trust him more than I do some of these other clowns. I always have.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

I find this strange:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... zZdixZzZui

The Minnesota Vikings might have a decision to make with their backup quarterback on Sunday in the divisional round of the playoffs, but head coach Mike Zimmer says he thinks he knows who it will be.

As for the public knowing, “you’ll have to wait until Sunday,” Zimmer said.

After leading the Vikings to a 13-3 regular season, Case Keenum, who went 11-3 as the starter, should be the starter, but Zimmer’s backup decision will come down to Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford – both of them starters in the previous two years – for the backup spot.
Bridgewater was activated to the 53-man roster for the first time since the 2015 season on Nov. 8, when he was deemed recovered enough from his dislocated knee (August 2016) and subsequent surgery. Bridgewater returned to the active roster on Nov. 8, 2017, the same day that the Vikings placed Bradford on injured reserve after his knee wasn’t responding to treatment. A cleanup surgery on Bradford’s knee performed in early November was considered the “last resort,” the quarterback said.

But last week Bradford started practicing for the first time since October and was encouraged by how his knee felt. He hasn’t been activated to the 53-man roster yet, but the Vikings will have to make a decision on his status next week (or before) if they advance to the conference championship.

“He had two days of practice and he got about one third of the reps; we’ll just take our time and see how he goes,” Zimmer said.

Bradford started the regular-season opener against the New Orleans Saints, the same team the Vikings face Sunday in the divisional round of the playoffs, and threw for 346 yards and three touchdowns in a 29-19 win.

Since then, however, his knee acted up and it’s been Case Keenum for all but a half game.

Keenum has had two 300-yard games, but in the last three games has thrown for 236, 139 and 189 yards. Zimmer would like to see a more explosive offense on Sunday.

“I think we were efficient offensively in the last three games. I don’t think we were exactly explosive, so hopefully we can be a little more explosive,” Zimmer said. “It may be one of those kind of games. I think for the most part we did a decent job on third downs, we ran the ball efficiently. We had a high percentage of completions, but you want to get some big plays in there and we really didn’t generate big plays, I guess, in the last three games.”

I assumed that Bridgewater was the back-up QB for the rest of the year, but Zimmer's emphasis on "explosiveness", or the lack thereof, leaves it wide open apparently.
DViking32
Waterboy

Post by DViking32 »

I am so tired of all the talking heads, most of which have never played a down of football, saying this is Keenum against Brees. It is not. It is Brees against the #1 defense in the NFL and Keenum against what, the #15???? Stop with the history about Brees, please. He is a stat whore that if he was so great would have won more playoff games. This season Keenum is actually playing right with him, if not better. :wallbang:
DViking32
Waterboy

Post by DViking32 »

mansquatch wrote: This isn't really a good comparison. The Saints rely much more on their backs in the passing game than the Vikings do. If one wants to round that out, add the two starting WR and TE numbers. My suspicion is the MN players will have superior stats as we have a better perimeter game and YAC game than the Saints with those positions. It is no secret that the biggest threat on the NO offense is Kamara.

IMO a more interesting topic is the Saints Defense vs. our Offense only because there are bigger question marks there. Are they going to be able to upset Keenum? Can they contain our power running game? Are they going to get us to give up the ball where so many other have not?

What about intangibles like playoff experience? I actually think this might be an issue for the Vikings. This is their second playoff game in the Zimmer era. Are some of these guys going to have jitters?
I would love to see a stat of the New Orleans yards after first contact. I have watched a bunch of their games and they have so much after contact yards from bad tackling on the other team. One thing I can say about the Vikings is they don't miss many tackles and that is why they have shut people down this year.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

DViking32 wrote: I would love to see a stat of the New Orleans yards after first contact. I have watched a bunch of their games and they have so much after contact yards from bad tackling on the other team. One thing I can say about the Vikings is they don't miss many tackles and that is why they have shut people down this year.
Excellent observation. That is the key to stopping guys like Kamara. It is worth noting that the main reason the Panthers D failed last week wasn't because of Kamara, but because their Secondary couldn't cover. I like our LBs vs. Kamara, they've proven they can keep guys like him in check this season. They shut down Freeman and Gurley. So if we can stop him, does that means people then think that our secondary is going to have trouble covering the NO WR corps? I mean is that seriously a thing? We shut down Julio Jones. Rhodes made just about every guy he played this year look pedestrian. Now suddenly Michael Thomas is going to blow up on him for 100 yards and 2 TD? It is just asinine. The idea that the Saints Offense is going to jsut blow up on us is far from pre-ordained.

This then begs the question. If they don't blow up, why do we think the Saints D can keep them in the game against our Offense? I don't see the merit there either.

The Vikings should win this game. Anything can happen, but Vegas is right to have them as the favorites.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

DViking32 wrote:I would love to see a stat of the New Orleans yards after first contact. I have watched a bunch of their games and they have so much after contact yards from bad tackling on the other team. One thing I can say about the Vikings is they don't miss many tackles and that is why they have shut people down this year.
This is the most fundamentally sound, most disciplined, and most unselfish defense I've ever witnessed.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Has this hype video been posted yet? Holy crap it's well done. Goosebumps.

http://www.batflipsports.com/heres-viki ... ssion=true
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

No injury report yet?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

808vikingsfan wrote:No injury report yet?
Just posted in the other thread.

All Vikings practicing.

(not sure if anyone limited)
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote: Just posted in the other thread.

All Vikings practicing.

(not sure if anyone limited)
Just saw that. Thanks. Great news!

This week is crawling. Can't believe it's only Wednesday.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

How is the even possible? That's insane!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018