What's your story?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TeamChaplain
All Pro Elite Player

What's your story?

Post by TeamChaplain »

I don't know if there is a topic thread on this yet, if there is please merge them. I thought it might be fun to learn about how others became Viking fans. So I thought I would start and share my story. I suppose it all begins for me with a photograph. I was 3 years old in 1977 and my mother had taken a picture of me standing in the kitchen, drinking from my bottle. That picture remained undeveloped until it became a double exposure 2 years later when I wore a Tommy Kramer uniform for Halloween. That picture was a real fun pic. I was drinking my bottle in the foreground and in the background was the image of me dressed as Tommy K. My uncles were all Viking fans despite living in the Upper Peninsula which if most of you don't know is basically Packer country. I remember hanging with my uncles watching games and then when I turned 10 they gave me a Mattel "Electronic Football" game. From that point on I was truly hooked and the Vikes were my team. However, I did cheer for the '85 Bears. The recent vikings podcast on the '87 team was really nostalgic. I remember the disappointment of that 17-10 loss to the Redskins but that loss paled in comparison to the loss to the Falcons :wallbang: Gary Anderson, :steamed: and bounty gate in 2009, and :evil: the loss against the Seahawks (Blair Walsh is their problem now). I still get upset when we lose, my kids know when to clear the room cause dad will probably be saying words they shouldn't be using. Last year my wife and I attended our first Vikings game ever! What an awesome experience too bad the refs helped the Dallas Cowboys win that one. This past summer I took the family to Training Camp and we hope to make that a yearly ritual. I hope others feel like sharing. SKOL!
From the Fjords of ValHalla
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What's your story?

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm actually a pretty recent Vikings fan. I live in STL and grew up a huge Rams fan. When they relocated I couldn't cheer for them anymore because of how they left and the owner disrespected STL and didn't even try to keep them here. The Vikings were always a team that I enjoyed watching growing up with Randy Moss Daunte Culpepper and Chris Carter and my dad was a Vikings fan growing up in Illinois. After the Rams moved I flipped around for a few months in my head about which team I would be a fan of and ended up choosing on the Vikings because I think they have one of the best logos and helmets in the NFL. I also really enjoy watching Mike Zimmer's defense and I know when they win a Super Bowl I'll be able to experience their first championship which to me is more special than picking a team that has already won the Super Bowl.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I've told this story before on here, but since you asked ...

My dad was an avowed Vikings hater. Couldn't stand them. But back in September of 1969, a relative in Minnesota got him tickets to the Vikings against the Baltimore Colts at the old Met Stadium, and my dad took me. I'd never really paid much attention to football -- baseball was my love -- but since I didn't get to spend much time with him (mom and dad were divorced) I was really excited about going. Plus, when you're 9, any sporting event is super-exciting.

To say the Vikings won that day would be the understatement of the century. They destroyed the Colts 56-14. Mind you, the Colts were a very fine team, having just lost Super Bowl III to the Jets. But the Vikes overwhelmed them. Joe Kapp tied an NFL record that day by throwing 7 touchdown passes, and I immediately became his biggest fan. I was absolutely infatuated with the man.

In my 9-year-old mind, I was pretty sure every Vikings game would be just like that ... a 40-point blowout. Boy was I set up for disappointment!

There's a lot more to my story, and I've told it before. But this thread is about how I became a Vikings fan. Now you know. And you know why Joe Kapp is my avatar and screen name.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Svt40
Rookie

Post by Svt40 »

I've just always been a Vikings fan and have no memory of when or how it came to be.

All my relatives are from N. St Paul and I lived there briefly as a child from 1974-1978. Since my father was in the Army we moved around a lot. Ended up moving to Texas in 1978 where I stayed until I joined the military myself.

It was hard to be a Vikings fan in Texas back in those days! Never got to see any games and it seemed like it was the Cowboys and Steelers in the SB every year.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

My parents were/are huge Viking fans. One year back in the mid 80s,theybwere playing in Houston, and if the Vikings made a kick, they would go to the playoffs or something. Well in true Viking fashion, they missed the kick and my parents went "AWWWW"! And then I cried and cried, even though I had no idea what happened. Then my parents felt bad so we all went to Burger King. [emoji5]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

My first recollection of the Vikings was Sunday January 13, 1974. As a first grader who had just turned 7 years old 2 months before. My Dad walked into my room and asked me to pick the winner of the Superbowl-- if I was right I'd get a quarter. I picked the Dolphins. I had no clue. My dad was not pleased-- it was as though I spoke sacrilege.

I suppose I didn't necessarily become a fan that day, but I'm sure it was made clear to me that I *should* be a fan and never, never, never, never pick against them-- even if I *was* a quarter richer for having done so.

Anyway-- my dad taught at MSU (Mankato State University back then, Minnesota State University, Mankato today) and would walk by training camp from time to time as his day allowed each fall. He would come home and tell me how he saw a spectacular catch from Sammy White, or Ahmad Rashad. Stories of Tarkington, Page, etc. I suppose I became a fan because I saw how much enjoyment my father got out of it. Of course I learned the hard way that it isn't always enjoyable.

He passed away in 2013, but I have a very fond memory of inviting him to my home up near the cities in 2000 to watch the Vikings take on the NO Saints. We were the home team-- #2 seed. Moss caught a hitch pass at the line of scrimmage and was off to the races past 4 defenders for 68 yards. Perhaps Diggs or Thielen could recreate that next Sunday if the Saints happen to come to town. I had just moved back to MN after having lived in CA for 10 years, and I couldn't wait to show him this cool new thing I had gotten that Christmas-- a DirecTV TiVo. Let's just say the rewind feature of that early DVR was fun to use that game.
Craig S
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

1966. I grew up 30 miles from Lambeau field. Small town of Appleton, WI. Heart of Packer country. Packer players even had restaurants in my home town. "The Left Guard", owned by Fuzzy Thurston and Max Mcgee. I was 8. I am a stutterer. And in grade school the kids never let up. Nov. 6th of that year, my parents had just bought a color TV that fall. For you youngsters, back then Black and White TV's were the norm. Color was just up and coming. Anyway, that day I watched the Vikings beat up on the Packers. I was into the color purple at the time and the uniforms and the horns on the helmet. Plus the idea of the "Vikings". Next day in school all the kids were ticked off that the Packers had lost. I found an opening to get back at them for the years of teasing they had given me. Even though the Vikings sucked that year, over the next few years and into the 70's the tide had turned. Bud Grant took over the next year. And as bad as they were in 67 they still split with the vaunted Packers. I had unknowingly latched onto a team that would be a thorn in the Packers side all the way through High school. Many in my family have tried to get me to change to be a Packer fan. Not happening.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

4 words.....

John Randle
Robert Griffith
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Raptorman wrote:1966. I grew up 30 miles from Lambeau field. Small town of Appleton, WI. Heart of Packer country. Packer players even had restaurants in my home town. "The Left Guard", owned by Fuzzy Thurston and Max Mcgee. I was 8. I am a stutterer. And in grade school the kids never let up. Nov. 6th of that year, my parents had just bought a color TV that fall. For you youngsters, back then Black and White TV's were the norm. Color was just up and coming. Anyway, that day I watched the Vikings beat up on the Packers. I was into the color purple at the time and the uniforms and the horns on the helmet. Plus the idea of the "Vikings". Next day in school all the kids were ticked off that the Packers had lost. I found an opening to get back at them for the years of teasing they had given me. Even though the Vikings sucked that year, over the next few years and into the 70's the tide had turned. Bud Grant took over the next year. And as bad as they were in 67 they still split with the vaunted Packers. I had unknowingly latched onto a team that would be a thorn in the Packers side all the way through High school. Many in my family have tried to get me to change to be a Packer fan. Not happening.
That's awesome man :beerock:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Denardus
Backup

Post by Denardus »

Grew up in IA, 9 miles from the Minnesota boarder. Most folks in the area were Vike fans, our school colors matched the vikings colors. I don't ever remember NOT being a Vikings fan, but my most distinct early memory was the 1977 (1976 season) Super Bowl loss to the Raiders, I was 12 years old. I was living in Atlanta during the 1998 NFCC loss to the Falcons and was back in IA for the 2009 NFCC loss to the Saints.

I have been fortunate in my life, but a Vikings Superbowl win prior to my ultimate demise would be most welcome :govikes:
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Both my parents families are based in MN. So have been a fan my whole life I guess. Started following the team more religiously in the early 90s.
Formerly AADPFan
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Born in Rochester in the great state of Minnesota in 1970. Came of an age capable of understanding football right about the time the Vikings were wrapping up their first half decade of dominance. I never remember a time I became a Vikings fan per se - I just was, and am, one. I was born with Purple blood running in my veins.

I've always been proud of my home state, of the intelligence and kindness of the people who inhabit it, of their spiritual and physical toughness to endure, and thrive, in a climate that can be equally harsh in the summer and winter, of the seemingly endless, and hauntingly beautiful, lakes and forests of the northern part of the state to the association with the mighty Lake Superior and her ice water mansions, to the simple farms that extend to the horizon in the southern part of the state. While I can't say it is the best place to have grown up in the world, it has to be among the best as I can't imagine what it would take to make a better place.

Dad was and is a huge Packer fan and hates the Vikings. Too much trauma from watching Tarkenton scramble away and kill the formerly dominant Packers over and over in the 70's I guess. Even today when he attempts to be more diplomatic about the Vikings I know deep down he hopes to watch them, and by extension their fans, suffer as a result of whatever slights that were dealt to the Packers by those awesome teams. Because we lived in Rochester, we were close enough to get the over-air broadcasts of the Packers games from La Crosse, so on days when the two teams played at the same time, my Dad would point the antenna to pick up the LaCrosse signal and I'd have to do my best to watch the Vikings through static on the TV downstairs. I remember watching Ahmad Rashad haul in the game-winning catch against the Browns back in 1980(?) that way.

Anyway, days when the Vikings and Packers played against each other were truly interesting in our house with my Dad upstairs yelling at the TV and me downstairs yelling at that TV equally loudly. I'm amazed the rest of the family even tried to stay in the house on those days.

The truly funny part of this whole story is that the Packers are actually my second favorite team. Yes, I know that is sacrilege for many Vikings fans, but despite this unique quirk in my Minnesota pedigree I can assure all of you I am 100% behind the Vikings first and foremost and always will be. I like the Packers because green is my favorite color and yellow is my second favorite color. I have a theory about why this is. I was born in August and I keep thinking my first memories were probably of the warm spring air and the sight of newly green trees, grass, and the fields of dandelions that dominate the landscape in the spring in Minnesota. For those of you who have gone through a Minnesota winter, you understand how heavenly that first breath of warm spring air can be and how beautiful it is to see the landscape come alive. The Packers colors happen to be the same as the colors I associated with the onset of spring and it must have left a big impression on me. I will root for them if they are not playing the Vikings, if their success does not impact the Vikings in any way, or if the Vikings are eliminated from the playoffs and the Packers are not.

Anyway, that is my somewhat long story.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I was born and bred in NW Ohio but have been a purple blooded Vikes fan since i knew what football was. My love came from my dad. Im 53 yes old so I've lived and breathed the roller coaster that so many here also have. I can honestly say that the first time my mom heard me drop the F bomb was about 5 mins after Drew Pearson obviously pushed off of Nate Wright in the Hail Mary fiasco and my cousin called on the phone to tease me. It wasn't a great day for a mom to hear her 10 yr old yell F you at his older cousin while bawling his eyes out! Fortunately my dad was as mad and crushed as me so that time i didnt get in trouble with him. Lol. I won't even bring up the details of the Falcons game heartbreak and the Bountygate/Pete Morrelli crews obvious one sided officiating calls to ensure the Saints a trip to the SB. My wife, mom and sister all always hope the Vikes don't get to the big game because i inhereted heart disease and have had 2 heart attacks. The 1st one at age 25 and the 2nd at age 51 so they worry it will do me in. They just can't understand that a SB win will actually extend my life due to the stress that would be removed from my life. So friends... I pray that this team will be the team of Destiny. I spent my 40th birthday in the Metrodome watching my team beat the Titans on my actual birthday, with my wife and daughter... The best present ever. I just hope that Feb 4 my beloved Vikings.. ALL OUR Beloved Vikings... Give us all what I know SO many of us here have wanted for so long AND make history doing it at home. No matter what I've never wavered and given up on the Purple and Gold. Here's to the hope that we can be rewarded for that dedication and bring the Lombardi trophy to where it deserves to reside. And we will know later today who stands in our way but I can't lie and say that we can get some revenge on the Saints for that injustice to get there but I don't care how we do it... We just NEED that Trophy and the Ring!!! Please Lord..just let it happen. SKOL Fellow Fans SKOL!!!!
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

These are great stories! Keep them coming!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

My first recollection of watching the Vikings was their NFL championship run in 69. I was hooked when I watched Kapp beat the Rams. I loved the uniforms and the horns. I learned they we're purple but never actually say them in color until the Superbowl against the chiefs. Very disappointing for a young kid. I didn't know anything about football until one night I was visiting some friends and saw football on their tv. I asked them what that was and they we're flabbergasted that I didn't know what football was. They told me about it and we watched the game. They said I should be a Packet fan cause they were the best. So I was. Until I saw the Vikings. Then I was hooked on that team. Been hard core ever since. I ate slept and played football. I cried when they lost and found life wonderful when they won.

Much older now I have been through so much with this team I am never confident about them. Every game is a worry. I just want to see them win one Superbowl before I go. Just one....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk