Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who would you rather the Vikings play against?

New Orleans
9
22%
Carolina
24
59%
It's a wash/doesn't matter
8
20%
 
Total votes: 41

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3473
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Coon Rapids, MN

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by mansquatch » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:23 am

I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

The only team in the NFC playoffs we haven't played is the Eagles and they are likely to lose their playoff game as their starting QB is out. Of the four remaining teams we've beaten three of the four and the one we lost to is arguable the worst of the bunch. New Orleans has perhaps the most equity in Drew Brees, but they lack outside WR.

Of the four defenses, only Carolina is stout, but even then their secondary is a weakness. None of the NFC playoff defenses are even close to what the Vikings bring to the table. You might be worried about Aaron Donald, he is certainly great, but the Rams have him playing in a less than ideal situation in the 3-4 scheme. Also, we put up 30 points on that defense the last time we played them. We made them look silly.

On top of all of this the only team we wouldn't play at home is the Eagles and as I said above, they are likely to lose. As someone said above, the team I'm most concerned about in this playoff run is the Vikings and I agree. If they play to their level they will be in the Super Bowl. It is that simple. They are the best team in the NFC.

FWIW, the team I fear the most is on the AFC side the team, but it isn't PIT or the NE. It's the Jags. Their D, like ours, is good enough to knock off anybody. In addition, of all the teams in the playoffs that is the one that could make Keenum become old Keenum. If you want to cheer for someone, cheer for the Bills.
0 x
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18405
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm

I get nervous because the Saints are a different team and the Rams are a very good team. If shard to beat a team twice during the season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3388
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by 808vikingsfan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

mansquatch wrote:I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

The only team in the NFC playoffs we haven't played is the Eagles and they are likely to lose their playoff game as their starting QB is out. Of the four remaining teams we've beaten three of the four and the one we lost to is arguable the worst of the bunch. New Orleans has perhaps the most equity in Drew Brees, but they lack outside WR.

Of the four defenses, only Carolina is stout, but even then their secondary is a weakness. None of the NFC playoff defenses are even close to what the Vikings bring to the table. You might be worried about Aaron Donald, he is certainly great, but the Rams have him playing in a less than ideal situation in the 3-4 scheme. Also, we put up 30 points on that defense the last time we played them. We made them look silly.

On top of all of this the only team we wouldn't play at home is the Eagles and as I said above, they are likely to lose. As someone said above, the team I'm most concerned about in this playoff run is the Vikings and I agree. If they play to their level they will be in the Super Bowl. It is that simple. They are the best team in the NFC.

FWIW, the team I fear the most is on the AFC side the team, but it isn't PIT or the NE. It's the Jags. Their D, like ours, is good enough to knock off anybody. In addition, of all the teams in the playoffs that is the one that could make Keenum become old Keenum. If you want to cheer for someone, cheer for the Bills.
The best team doesn't always win. It's the playoffs. Totally different game. Look at week 17. It was basically a playoff week for many. We saw a few upsets, something close to the butt fumble with the Titans, and the Bills made the playoffs. Out of character things can happen. Players start doing too much, while others rise to the occasion. Keenum even said that sometimes he overthinks things when he has too much time on his hands. We don't know how Elflein or Rudolph is healing. Just a lot of things.

Having said that, I would much rather have the #1 defense than the #1 offense going into the playoffs. I love this defense.

I can just imagine how loud the home crowd is going to be during the playoffs. Maybe it doesn't matter who the Vikings play this year.

Call me crazy but I think the Vikings will be playing the Falcons for the NFC Championship.
0 x
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11319
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by S197 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:04 pm

mansquatch wrote:I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

The only team in the NFC playoffs we haven't played is the Eagles and they are likely to lose their playoff game as their starting QB is out. Of the four remaining teams we've beaten three of the four and the one we lost to is arguable the worst of the bunch. New Orleans has perhaps the most equity in Drew Brees, but they lack outside WR.

Of the four defenses, only Carolina is stout, but even then their secondary is a weakness. None of the NFC playoff defenses are even close to what the Vikings bring to the table. You might be worried about Aaron Donald, he is certainly great, but the Rams have him playing in a less than ideal situation in the 3-4 scheme. Also, we put up 30 points on that defense the last time we played them. We made them look silly.

On top of all of this the only team we wouldn't play at home is the Eagles and as I said above, they are likely to lose. As someone said above, the team I'm most concerned about in this playoff run is the Vikings and I agree. If they play to their level they will be in the Super Bowl. It is that simple. They are the best team in the NFC.

FWIW, the team I fear the most is on the AFC side the team, but it isn't PIT or the NE. It's the Jags. Their D, like ours, is good enough to knock off anybody. In addition, of all the teams in the playoffs that is the one that could make Keenum become old Keenum. If you want to cheer for someone, cheer for the Bills.
As a Vikings fan of 3 decades, I can sum this up for you in one word. Cherophobic.
0 x

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6940
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:19 pm

S197 wrote: As a Vikings fan of 3 decades, I can sum this up for you in one word. Cherophobic.
Say what? Fear of happiness?

Not me. I'm ready to celebrate. But no matter what, this season has already brought a lot of happiness to a lot of Vikings fans.

Atychiphobia is probably more accurate -- fear of failure.
0 x
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3209
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Location: Sebastian, FL

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Raptorman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm

PurpleMustReign wrote:I get nervous because the Saints are a different team and the Rams are a very good team. If shard to beat a team twice during the season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
So, how about 3 times in one season. That's what the Saints have to do. Beat the Panthers for a third time to make it to the next level. Odds are we will get the Rams.
0 x
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Maelstrom88 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Raptorman wrote: So, how about 3 times in one season. That's what the Saints have to do. Beat the Panthers for a third time to make it to the next level. Odds are we will get the Rams.
I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2390
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by PacificNorseWest » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote: I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
It's not a mindset. It's reality. If you're playing a team for the 3rd time in a season then it's a divisional opponent. Those games are always different and usually tougher than they appear. Take, for example, the Dolphins dominating the Patriots a few weeks ago. They always play NE tough. Miami is not a very good team, but because those teams are familiar with each other, the game doesn't play out as it does on paper. Also, if you're playing a team for the 3rd time, it's in the playoffs, so we're not talking about the Steelers playing the Browns for a 3rd time. We're talking about a playoff caliber team. Seeing a team on film for the 3rd time can illustrate strong tendencies and defencies and such that all can be corrected the 3rd go around. The Panthers are also a much better team than when the played the Saints the 1st time, so I'm not sure what that game would even mean for these two teams.
0 x

User avatar
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver
Posts: 18405
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Location: Crystal, MN
Contact:

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by PurpleMustReign » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:16 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote: I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
Ask Green Bay in 2005 or whatever.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
0 x
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2017 #BringitHome‬

Dmizzle0
Transition Player
Posts: 360
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Dmizzle0 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:30 pm

I don't care who we play. I believe we we can beat the best. But if I had to choose, give me the Saints. We deserve to get our revenge!
0 x

dieselfordf250
Waterboy
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat May 09, 2015 12:43 am

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by dieselfordf250 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:38 pm

We find out tomorrow, around 6:45. Go Panthers!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
0 x

User avatar
Demarates
Rookie
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:45 am

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Demarates » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:34 am

Watching two upsets in 2 wildcard games has got me spooked... :shock:

Somehow New Orleans feels like the toughest opponent left. We make it past them, Falcons nor Eagles will stand in our way. And we can take New England too.

But the Saints... Their running backs & the arm of Drew Brees haunt my dreams.
0 x
Tene Quod Bene

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11319
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by S197 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Demarates wrote:Watching two upsets in 2 wildcard games has got me spooked... :shock:

Somehow New Orleans feels like the toughest opponent left. We make it past them, Falcons nor Eagles will stand in our way. And we can take New England too.

But the Saints... Their running backs & the arm of Drew Brees haunt my dreams.
The number of dropped passes so far is really surprising. None of the wildcard teams have looked in playoff form so far. I have a feeling Saints/Panthers will be different but we'll see.
0 x

User avatar
Bowhunting Viking
Practice Squad
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am
Location: Convoy, Ohio

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Bowhunting Viking » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:00 pm

I am torn here. I fear N.O. more than Panthers... But a huge part of me wants to face and beat Saints to revenge the Bountygate/ Pete Morreli officiating crew debacle that we suffered. It would be some vindication.
0 x
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!

User avatar
Cliff
Site Admin
Posts: 8301
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by Cliff » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Bowhunting Viking wrote:I am torn here. I fear N.O. more than Panthers... But a huge part of me wants to face and beat Saints to revenge the Bountygate/ Pete Morreli officiating crew debacle that we suffered. It would be some vindication.
If we can't beat the Saints we can't win the super bowl anyway.

I want the Saints and I want the Falcons and I want to see them sacrificed in front of thousands of Vikings fans.
0 x
"Everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Post Reply