Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Who would you rather the Vikings play against?

New Orleans
22%
Carolina
59%
It's a wash/doesn't matter
20%

Total votes: 41

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Who would you rather play in the playoffs, NO or CAR?

Post by mansquatch »

I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

The only team in the NFC playoffs we haven't played is the Eagles and they are likely to lose their playoff game as their starting QB is out. Of the four remaining teams we've beaten three of the four and the one we lost to is arguable the worst of the bunch. New Orleans has perhaps the most equity in Drew Brees, but they lack outside WR.

Of the four defenses, only Carolina is stout, but even then their secondary is a weakness. None of the NFC playoff defenses are even close to what the Vikings bring to the table. You might be worried about Aaron Donald, he is certainly great, but the Rams have him playing in a less than ideal situation in the 3-4 scheme. Also, we put up 30 points on that defense the last time we played them. We made them look silly.

On top of all of this the only team we wouldn't play at home is the Eagles and as I said above, they are likely to lose. As someone said above, the team I'm most concerned about in this playoff run is the Vikings and I agree. If they play to their level they will be in the Super Bowl. It is that simple. They are the best team in the NFC.

FWIW, the team I fear the most is on the AFC side the team, but it isn't PIT or the NE. It's the Jags. Their D, like ours, is good enough to knock off anybody. In addition, of all the teams in the playoffs that is the one that could make Keenum become old Keenum. If you want to cheer for someone, cheer for the Bills.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I get nervous because the Saints are a different team and the Rams are a very good team. If shard to beat a team twice during the season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mansquatch wrote:I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

The only team in the NFC playoffs we haven't played is the Eagles and they are likely to lose their playoff game as their starting QB is out. Of the four remaining teams we've beaten three of the four and the one we lost to is arguable the worst of the bunch. New Orleans has perhaps the most equity in Drew Brees, but they lack outside WR.

Of the four defenses, only Carolina is stout, but even then their secondary is a weakness. None of the NFC playoff defenses are even close to what the Vikings bring to the table. You might be worried about Aaron Donald, he is certainly great, but the Rams have him playing in a less than ideal situation in the 3-4 scheme. Also, we put up 30 points on that defense the last time we played them. We made them look silly.

On top of all of this the only team we wouldn't play at home is the Eagles and as I said above, they are likely to lose. As someone said above, the team I'm most concerned about in this playoff run is the Vikings and I agree. If they play to their level they will be in the Super Bowl. It is that simple. They are the best team in the NFC.

FWIW, the team I fear the most is on the AFC side the team, but it isn't PIT or the NE. It's the Jags. Their D, like ours, is good enough to knock off anybody. In addition, of all the teams in the playoffs that is the one that could make Keenum become old Keenum. If you want to cheer for someone, cheer for the Bills.
The best team doesn't always win. It's the playoffs. Totally different game. Look at week 17. It was basically a playoff week for many. We saw a few upsets, something close to the butt fumble with the Titans, and the Bills made the playoffs. Out of character things can happen. Players start doing too much, while others rise to the occasion. Keenum even said that sometimes he overthinks things when he has too much time on his hands. We don't know how Elflein or Rudolph is healing. Just a lot of things.

Having said that, I would much rather have the #1 defense than the #1 offense going into the playoffs. I love this defense.

I can just imagine how loud the home crowd is going to be during the playoffs. Maybe it doesn't matter who the Vikings play this year.

Call me crazy but I think the Vikings will be playing the Falcons for the NFC Championship.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:I'm curious why everyone lacks confidence in here?

As a Vikings fan of 3 decades, I can sum this up for you in one word. Cherophobic.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

S197 wrote: As a Vikings fan of 3 decades, I can sum this up for you in one word. Cherophobic.
Say what? Fear of happiness?

Not me. I'm ready to celebrate. But no matter what, this season has already brought a lot of happiness to a lot of Vikings fans.

Atychiphobia is probably more accurate -- fear of failure.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I get nervous because the Saints are a different team and the Rams are a very good team. If shard to beat a team twice during the season.

So, how about 3 times in one season. That's what the Saints have to do. Beat the Panthers for a third time to make it to the next level. Odds are we will get the Rams.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Raptorman wrote: So, how about 3 times in one season. That's what the Saints have to do. Beat the Panthers for a third time to make it to the next level. Odds are we will get the Rams.
I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Maelstrom88 wrote: I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
It's not a mindset. It's reality. If you're playing a team for the 3rd time in a season then it's a divisional opponent. Those games are always different and usually tougher than they appear. Take, for example, the Dolphins dominating the Patriots a few weeks ago. They always play NE tough. Miami is not a very good team, but because those teams are familiar with each other, the game doesn't play out as it does on paper. Also, if you're playing a team for the 3rd time, it's in the playoffs, so we're not talking about the Steelers playing the Browns for a 3rd time. We're talking about a playoff caliber team. Seeing a team on film for the 3rd time can illustrate strong tendencies and defencies and such that all can be corrected the 3rd go around. The Panthers are also a much better team than when the played the Saints the 1st time, so I'm not sure what that game would even mean for these two teams.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Maelstrom88 wrote: I've never understood the mindset of it being hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. To me you are superior and should win the third contest. Can someone explain to me why people say it is hard to get a team 3 times straight?
Ask Green Bay in 2005 or whatever.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

I don't care who we play. I believe we we can beat the best. But if I had to choose, give me the Saints. We deserve to get our revenge!
dieselfordf250
Waterboy

Post by dieselfordf250 »

We find out tomorrow, around 6:45. Go Panthers!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Demarates
Backup

Post by Demarates »

Watching two upsets in 2 wildcard games has got me spooked... :shock:

Somehow New Orleans feels like the toughest opponent left. We make it past them, Falcons nor Eagles will stand in our way. And we can take New England too.

But the Saints... Their running backs & the arm of Drew Brees haunt my dreams.
Tene Quod Bene
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demarates wrote:Watching two upsets in 2 wildcard games has got me spooked... :shock:

Somehow New Orleans feels like the toughest opponent left. We make it past them, Falcons nor Eagles will stand in our way. And we can take New England too.

But the Saints... Their running backs & the arm of Drew Brees haunt my dreams.
The number of dropped passes so far is really surprising. None of the wildcard teams have looked in playoff form so far. I have a feeling Saints/Panthers will be different but we'll see.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

I am torn here. I fear N.O. more than Panthers... But a huge part of me wants to face and beat Saints to revenge the Bountygate/ Pete Morreli officiating crew debacle that we suffered. It would be some vindication.
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Bowhunting Viking wrote:I am torn here. I fear N.O. more than Panthers... But a huge part of me wants to face and beat Saints to revenge the Bountygate/ Pete Morreli officiating crew debacle that we suffered. It would be some vindication.
If we can't beat the Saints we can't win the super bowl anyway.

I want the Saints and I want the Falcons and I want to see them sacrificed in front of thousands of Vikings fans.