Week 17 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Week 17 Reaction Thread

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Brian Robison got his 60th sack today

Joe "retirement" Berger is the only lineman to have started all 16 games

Quigley finished the season with 0 touchbacks. Only second punter to accomplish this since stat has been tracked (1991)

That's really impressive, not just for Quigley but for that whole coverage unit.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MrPurplenGold wrote:While a 101.1 passer rating sounds impressive, it doesn't tell the whole story. He has averaged less than 200 yards per game the last 3 games against 3 teams with nothing to play for.
He's averaged less than 200 a game over the last 3 games but he hasn't thrown for less than 200 a game over those same 3 games. He threw for 236 yards and 2 TDs against the Bengals and sat down for Bridgewater after helping the Vikes establish a commanding lead so he didn't even play the entire game.
We will all watch the game differently, but he hasn't looked very impressive to me recently.
He has 4 TDs, 0 turnovers, a 3-0 record and two games with a rating over 100 in his last 3 games. Those aren't electrifying stats but they're solid and he went 20-23 against Cincy. I don't know what everybody else is looking for but I thought he was very impressive in that game.

They used a pretty balanced attack yesterday. Keenum had 29 attempts and there were about 33 called runs. His yardage totals don't include the PI calls but if memory serves, there were a couple that yielded big gains so even though Keenum didn't connect with his receivers on those plays (which would be preferable), his willingness to throw deep and give them a shot still paid dividends.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Mothman wrote: He's averaged less than 200 a game over the last 3 games but he hasn't thrown for less than 200 a game over those same 3 games. He threw for 236 yards and 2 TDs against the Bengals and sat down for Bridgewater after helping the Vikes establish a commanding lead so he didn't even play the entire game.
He has 4 TDs, 0 turnovers, a 3-0 record and two games with a rating over 100 in his last 3 games. Those aren't electrifying stats but they're solid and he went 20-23 against Cincy. I don't know what everybody else is looking for but I thought he was very impressive in that game.

They used a pretty balanced attack yesterday. Keenum had 29 attempts and there were about 33 called runs. His yardage totals don't include the PI calls but if memory serves, there were a couple that yielded big gains so even though Keenum didn't connect with his receivers on those plays (which would be preferable), his willingness to throw deep and give them a shot still paid dividends.
Considering the drop off in pass protection (thanks to key injuries), Keenum has done a fine job avoiding turnovers and moving the ball when it counts.

After years of Vikings QBs losing games by over-reaching and making dumb throws, I kind of like Keenum's calm, composed, smart way of playing. It's worked well for us.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Bills finally made the playoffs again.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the was the MN Vikings vs Buffalo Bills in Superbow LII? 5th time for both of us. 1 has to walk out the winner.

Obviously in our own building and having the better team, we better be the winner. But if the Vikings were to lose another Superbowl, at least it's to the Buffalo Bills. And I can live with that.

Come on Bills lets make it happen. Vikings vs Bills Superbowl LII.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Check out this reaction from Bills fan when the Bengals won the game against the Ravens. Oh the feels......... :rock:

https://youtu.be/b--EUWKyE0A
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: He's averaged less than 200 a game over the last 3 games but he hasn't thrown for less than 200 a game over those same 3 games. He threw for 236 yards and 2 TDs against the Bengals and sat down for Bridgewater after helping the Vikes establish a commanding lead so he didn't even play the entire game.

Three years ago, any of us would have taken the level of play Keenum has displayed over the past three games -- a 109 passer rating, 4 TDs, 0 turnovers, 3-0 record.

I get it that we all would love the 1998 offense to be reincarnated in this team, but that's not how we're built. I was nervous during the game yesterday, but not because of anything Case Keenum did or didn't do. I was nervous because I felt our playcalling got conservative way too early. I couldn't say for sure, but I'd say that's as much Mike Zimmer as it is Pat Shurmur, but it's surely not Case Keenum's doing.

Case has done a great job of turning himself from gunslinger to a guy who plays within a system and doesn't kill the team with turnovers. With our defense, that kind of QB play can allow us to make a deep run, even if we don't put up video game numbers.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I get the desire to have Rodgers or Brady

Let’s be honest there are only a handful of
QBs like that at any given era in the NFL

Case really benefitted from Us playing to
his strengths and our defense without a doubt.

I really think Bradford is a great QB but the
guy has not stayed healthy in most of his career.

Right now if I was GM I would let Bradford and
Teddy go. I would draft a guy in the first rounds
to develop and keep working with sloter.

I would love to see us upgrade the OL more.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Wow. The Vikings did it. No drama. No weird play that makes you think the curse is real. The Vikings clinched a 1st round bye.

Some random thoughts:

Keenum. I've been a bit critical of his ball placement and missed open receivers but the guy just keeps making plays. Seems like he's playing much more conservative lately.

Murray. Great vision. Funny how at the beginning of the season, the Murray pick up seemed unnecessary. He's become a big reason the Vikings are 13-3.

Diggs. He did it all on the TD drive. Gave himself up so Thielen could get open and then gets wide open for the TD.

Morgan. He's not only a good blocker, he's becoming a receiving threat too. Love his fight after the catch.

Sherels. His punt returns were always for positive yardage and rarely called for a fair catch. Uncanny how he always makes the first guy miss. Huge plays on punt coverage too. Was key in controlling field position.

Waynes. He's having a solid year and seems to be getting better every game. Zimmer said he is one of the reasons the defense has been so good recently.

Griffen. Although he didn't record much on stats. He was everywhere and pressured the QB a bunch.

Barr. Had a monster first quarter and was sniffing out and disrupting plays. Maybe the most unselfish player on the defense.

Just an overall excellent performance by the defense. Gedeon, Sendejo, Hunter, Joseph, they all played a part in this win. This D is disciplined and they tackle well.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Wayne’s really improved this year, in fact I think he
had a better game than Rhodes against the bears.

I was hoping to see more of Brock but he seems
to be half injured a lot ?

We play in the nickel a lot and I don’t see
Gideon on the field as much as I would like.

Tom Johnson made some key plays this week.

The Vikings OL did pretty good and had excellent
push in the run block, they didn’t pass protect
very well imo. Especially in the Guard spot I saw
defenders blowing through at the guard spot.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

All you armchair offensive coordinators would be having Keenum throw the deep ball with the team up 10 points and the number 1 defense in the league.

I didn't see the game, how did our new long snapper do?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

720pete wrote:All you armchair offensive coordinators would be having Keenum throw the deep ball with the team up 10 points and the number 1 defense in the league.

I didn't see the game, how did our new long snapper do?
Why wouldn't you if your receiver has several steps over the defender?

Good point about the long snapper. Uneventful which is a good thing
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
WadeWilson
Practice Squad

Post by WadeWilson »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Cam Newton is having an awful game. I'm surprised Carolina has as many wins as they do.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Not surprising since he is a terrible qb.