Playoff scenarios

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Playoff scenarios

Post by Raptorman »

Just Me wrote: We already did play against Rodgers (and won). It's not our fault he made a less-than-wise decision against this defense and decided to scramble outside the pocket while not throwing the ball away right away. Had he thrown the ball away when he first got outside the pocket, he probably wouldn't have been injured. I don't look at the fact that we knocked Rodgers out of the game (cleanly I might add) early in that game as somehow equating to the Vikings "only facing the backup." I look at it that the Packer's brought their best and limped away as a shell of their previous team when they got "cocky" on their offense.

So I'm neither bummed or happy. I don't think it makes any difference who the Pack play as quarterback in terms of the final outcome of this game.
And the Vikings QB and RB's. Yeah starters. People forget that Keenum was signed as a backup and the the Vikings number one back is on IR.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

TheCoolerOne wrote:Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.

If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?

In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.
I don't get this. There's no excitement or obsession. Zeurlein out could shape the playoffs.

But to the point you're trying to make, I could care less if the other team is at its best or not. History doesn't care.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

TheCoolerOne wrote:Why is there seemingly this obsession and excitement over teams' best players not playing? I'm kind of bummed Rodgers isn't going to play. He's one of the best QBs in the league, and I don't understand why we don't want to beat the best that teams have to offer. How good are we? Easier to find out playing Rodgers than Hundley.
I already know how good we are. The improbable 4-1 record in the past 5 games tells me all I need to know.
TheCoolerOne wrote:If the Vikings play the Rams in the playoffs, and the Rams miss the game winning kick because Zeurlein wasn't kicking, I mean great, we win, but also why were the Rams attempting a game winning kick?
Because ... they're a good team, and sometimes good teams have a chance to win?
TheCoolerOne wrote:In the Falcons game, Julio Jones was as good as inactive, but the difference is he wasn't. Our team made him inactive, on the field. That's way more impressive, and fun, than him not playing because of a sore hip.
"More impressive and fun." Interesting take.

Let me put it this way. I've been waiting for the Vikings to win a championship since I was 9 years old, which was 1969. If we somehow manage to win it this year, I won't care if Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, their backups, or somebody's pet mule is playing quarterback for the other team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Saints' S Kenny Vaccaro placed on IR.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

dead_poet wrote:Saints' S Kenny Vacaro placed on IR
You can say that again. :wink:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Just Me wrote: You can say that again. :wink:
Bahh. Stupid double post.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It's OK, it happens to the best of us.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

It's OK, it happens to the best of us.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

808vikingsfan wrote: I think Cowherd says things just for shock value. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was saying the Vikings are just a good regular season team. Lots of good 'B' players but no 'A' players that can make the big plays during the playoffs.
Outside of Thielen, Diggs, Linval, Griffen, Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Xavier, and Hitman....he's right.

/s
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It's OK, it happens to the best of us.

:point:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It's OK, it happens to the best of us.

Hey there is always:

or there is:

Saints' S Kenny V ... (sh*t)

Take your pick
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The path is pretty clear now.

For #1 Seed
Vikings beat Bears AND Philly loses both games

For #2 Seed
Vikings beat Bears, or
Panthers lose one, or
Saints win next two, or
Rams win next two
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Monday, I am a Raiders fan! Go Black and Silver. BTW, with their last game against the Cowboys with Elliot back............Prescott's passer rating is 20 points higher with Elliot in the back field.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Figured I'd post this here since this is the playoff scenario thread. In order for the Vikings to get the #1 seed, the Eagles have to lose both games and the Vikings have to win next week against the Bears. If the Eagles win either game, the Vikings can not get the #1 seed.

To get the number two seed, the Vikings need to either beat the bears or have the Panthers lose one game.

Hypothetical situation:
Eagles beat the Raiders on Monday night (thus Vikings eliminated from #1 seed)
Panthers lose to Bucs today (thus clinching first round bye)

Do you sit some of the starters next week against the Bears (namely Case) because there is nothing to play for? Do you play the starters because having two weeks off could make them rusty plus it's a division game? Or, do you start the starters and pull them at scheduled times (i.e. end of 1st quarter, halftime) regardless of how the game is going?

Personally, I would start Teddy, no need to risk injury to Case, plus Teddy needs some field time just incase something happens in the playoffs. I would also rest about half of the defense. Other starters, mainly the O-Line, I would have playing and would pull them at the start of the third. Any player who is slightly injured would not play at all. Give them a little extra time to heal up before the Super Bowl push.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

akvikingsfan wrote:Figured I'd post this here since this is the playoff scenario thread. In order for the Vikings to get the #1 seed, the Eagles have to lose both games and the Vikings have to win next week against the Bears. If the Eagles win either game, the Vikings can not get the #1 seed.

To get the number two seed, the Vikings need to either beat the bears or have the Panthers lose one game.

Hypothetical situation:
Eagles beat the Raiders on Monday night (thus Vikings eliminated from #1 seed)
Panthers lose to Bucs today (thus clinching first round bye)

Do you sit some of the starters next week against the Bears (namely Case) because there is nothing to play for? Do you play the starters because having two weeks off could make them rusty plus it's a division game? Or, do you start the starters and pull them at scheduled times (i.e. end of 1st quarter, halftime) regardless of how the game is going?

Personally, I would start Teddy, no need to risk injury to Case, plus Teddy needs some field time just incase something happens in the playoffs. I would also rest about half of the defense. Other starters, mainly the O-Line, I would have playing and would pull them at the start of the third. Any player who is slightly injured would not play at all. Give them a little extra time to heal up before the Super Bowl push.
I think you play it like a preseason game. Rest guys who are questionable, starters play a half or so, then transition in backups.