Week 14 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Week 14 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet »

So apparently having good offensive linemen is still important.

Vikes giving up chunk runs.

Case came back down to Earth.

Hopefully none of the injuries (Reiff specifically) are significant.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Re: Week 14 Reaction Thread

Post by S197 »

Dropped balls, big penalties, turnovers, D gave up big plays, decimated O-line, hack kicker.

And we still lost by only a TD.

It was a brutal road schedule, just need to pick themselves up and hope some of these guys can come back from their injuries.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote:Dropped balls, big penalties, turnovers, D gave up big plays, decimated O-line, hack kicker.

It was a brutal road schedule, just need to pick themselves up and hope some of these guys can come back from their injuries.
Fundamentally solid defenses just don't give up plays like the Vikings defense gave up today. Either this is that one 1-in-a-100 bad games for the defense, or they're really susceptible to simple inside running plays.

I'd go with the former given nobody has done anything like that to them so far, but maybe the Panthers found a way that can be replicated and we'll see it replicated going forward.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

S197 wrote:Dropped balls, big penalties, turnovers, D gave up big plays, decimated O-line, hack kicker.

Also, the offense has the injury excuse. The defense doesn't.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Of course the Browns have to Browns so Rodgers will be back next week.

We'll have to fight for every yard, won't we. Ugh.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingLord wrote: Fundamentally solid defenses just don't give up plays like the Vikings defense gave up today. Either this is that one 1-in-a-100 bad games for the defense, or they're really susceptible to simple inside running plays.

I'd go with the former given nobody has done anything like that to them so far, but maybe the Panthers found a way that can be replicated and we'll see it replicated going forward.
I’ve said this before, it happens. Look at the 2000 Ravens. Just because we have one bad defensive game doesn’t mean this defense isn’t an elite defense. I don’t buy the “good defenses just don’t do that”. Yeah they do. Look it up. We didn’t play well but we fought. I’m not worried. I’m more worried about the OL than anything. The defense should be the least of our worries
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

3rd road game often results in let downs. Hopefully that’s all it was. Reiff and Elflein returning to the lineup will be key.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

@christomasson Riley Reiff ankle is in a boot Left without comment
pleasebeprecautionary

pleasebeprecautionary

plreasebeprecautionary
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well we were all waiting for the other shoe to fall. I think the injury bug is finally here for us. Our OL is maybe in shambles now.
The defense has been healthy, but this is the third game in the last four or five where they just stop anyone.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I don't mind the loss but if Reiff is out for the season, we're probably done. Keenum didn't necessarily lose this game but he sure could have won it with a few better placed balls.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Honestly Forbath is my main worry right now. These games are going to be tight and you need a reliable guy who can at least make a 50 yard FG look respectable. We need to grab a guy from the CFL, not let Priefer talk to him at all, and hope for the best.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Watching the Newton run replay, what was Griffen doing?
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

TSonn wrote:I don't mind the loss but if Reiff is out for the season, we're probably done. Keenum didn't necessarily lose this game but he sure could have won it with a few better placed balls.
Amen...If R. Reif is out next week then the oline wont be the same, and Keenum will show us what he's really made of.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

VikingLord wrote: Fundamentally solid defenses just don't give up plays like the Vikings defense gave up today. Either this is that one 1-in-a-100 bad games for the defense, or they're really susceptible to simple inside running plays.

Opposing teams cant replicate drops, facemask penalties and shanked field goals
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I’ve said this before, it happens. Look at the 2000 Ravens. Just because we have one bad defensive game doesn’t mean this defense isn’t an elite defense. I don’t buy the “good defenses just don’t do that”. Yeah they do. Look it up. We didn’t play well but we fought. I’m not worried. I’m more worried about the OL than anything. The defense should be the least of our worries
I agree the offensive line is easily going to be the biggest factor going forward.

But I'm still worried about the defense for some reason. They looked unprepared.