More credit where it's due: Riley Reiff

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

More credit where it's due: Riley Reiff

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Absolutely LOVE this article from ESPN Twin Cities.
Letting Matt Kalil walk was a game changer for Vikings
Over a long season, there is never one event or decision that can be credited or blamed with the year’s outcome, but if you were ranking reasons that the Minnesota Vikings’ season has gone much better this year than last, you would put the decision to sign Riley Reiff and let Matt Kalil leave in free agency at the top of the list.

Shortly after Kalil signed a five-year, $55.5 million contract with the Carolina Panthers, he made comments insinuating the Vikings’ offensive line coaches had not pushed him hard enough.

“(Matsko) is the first guy I’ve played for that kind of demands excellence from his offensive line room,” Kalil told the Charlotte Observer.

But that excellence hasn’t shown up on the field this year as Pro Football Focus ranks Kalil 44th of 56 qualifying tackles in pass blocking. They have graded him positively in just three of 13 games. Cam Newton has been sacked 28 times this season. In Carolina’s key matchup with the New Orleans Saints, the 2012 No. 4 overall pick committed two key penalties

Meanwhile Reiff just gave up his first sack of the season on Sunday against Atlanta (and head coach Mike Zimmer said Monday that the sack wasn’t entirely on Reiff). Case Keenum has been sacked just nine times total.
Read the full article.

Reiff has done an absolutely GREAT job for the Vikings. I don't know what it was in Detroit that caused him to be so average -- was it him, or was it the scheme or coaching? -- but he has played at a Pro Bowl level for us. Not only that, he is the undisputed leader of that offensive line, as the article indicates. Where would this team be if they had kept Matt Kalil? Oh my gosh, I can't even go there.

Just thought the big boy from Iowa deserved a little love. Glad you're a Viking, Riles!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: More credit where it's due: Riley Reiff

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Just thought the big boy from Iowa deserved a little love.
Heck yeah. The Hawks know how to produce linemen.

Related, I can't get over how well our interior pass protection has been. Easton, Elflein, Berger have been better than good: they've been rock solid. A pretty significant reason why Case has been able to navigate the pocket so well is that he's been able to climb it.

The level of improvement in one year on the offensive line has been unreal. Kudos to Rick.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
LondonViking
Backup

Post by LondonViking »

I have been calling him the great Barrier Reiff all season, I know its an over exageration but after the last few years it feels great to have a guy playing this high at the position.

Gotta give it to Elfein also tho, Rock solid rookie year and really like the guy. Might need to get a C jersey now.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah the last few years with Kalil drove me nuts.
Kalil had such a great rookie season I think that
is why Rick and company had so much trouble moving
on, from Kalil and making changes.

I wanted Reiff in the draft. I am not sure why
Detroit didn’t. I thought a lot of Stafford sacks
came him holding onto the ball and lack of running
game. I think their coaching staff just gives up
on the run the minute it doesn’t produce.

I would like another Guard upgrade a run mauler
type. I am hoping our running back comes back
like Peterson did or close.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think part of the issue for Reiff was playing out of position as he had to slide over to the right side for Detroit. He's certainly been a strong addition to the team. Now if Remmers can get and stay healthy, we'd be looking at a solid line with some depth.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Can't say enough about the improvement we've seen at LT this year vs the past 4 seasons.

Kudos also to Spielman/Sparano for grabbing Hill off the Jag practice squad, that move was genius. He has been a quality backup at Tackle.

Given the amount of time Remmers has missed, I wonder if he'll end up a cap casualty in the offseason.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:Can't say enough about the improvement we've seen at LT this year vs the past 4 seasons.

Kudos also to Spielman/Sparano for grabbing Hill off the Jag practice squad, that move was genius. He has been a quality backup at Tackle.

Given the amount of time Remmers has missed, I wonder if he'll end up a cap casualty in the offseason.
Highly doubt Remmers will be cut.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Highly doubt Remmers will be cut.
I am so impressed with the OL. None of them played here last year, and they have come together and trusted each other, and done an awesome job.

Hard to believe how far we've come since Clemmings and Kalil.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I am so impressed with the OL. None of them played here last year, and they have come together and trusted each other, and done an awesome job.

Hard to believe how far we've come since Clemmings and Kalil.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
I couldn't stand Kalil's attitude most of all. He would completely whiff on a block, let the QB get blown up, and just stand there. No offer to help him up. It's certainly a different dynamic this year. The cool thing is you can find great interior guys like Elflein in the 2nd or 3rd round (maybe later), so even though it's likely Berger will retire or be replaced, they should be able to draft a quality guy without having to take him too early in the draft.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I wonder how the draft valuating of OL as well as the Free Agent market for them will evolve over the next 1-3 years. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the first round pick on an OL is not nearly the safe bet it was 2-3 seasons ago. It is also obvious that certain colleges are doing a much better job and coaching these guys up. (Iowa and OSU both come to mind...)
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi