View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Vikings-Falcons game thread 
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post Re: Vikings-Falcons game thread
S197 wrote:
Damn Packers won. Lions are going to lose at least! And SF gets their first win of the year.

SF has 2 wins.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:10 pm
Defensive Tackle

Hi guys,

10-2 feels pretty good, eh? :) If the Eagles falter, the Vikes have a real shot at HFA throughout the playoffs (literally until the end!).

I thought I'd pop in and share this interesting nugget I saw on Twitter today:

Quote:
Ben Goessling‏
@GoesslingStrib

The Vikings are 12-for-15 in the red zone in their last four games. Kyle Rudolph said that was a "point of emphasis" during the bye week. What does a "point of emphasis" look like for a Mike Zimmer-coached team? "It was all we worked on for two straight days," Rudolph said.

I like it!

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:43 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
Hi guys,

10-2 feels pretty good, eh? :) If the Eagles falter, the Vikes have a real shot HFA throughout the playoffs (literally until the end!).

Quote:
Ben Goessling‏
@GoesslingStrib

The Vikings are 12-for-15 in the red zone in their last four games. Kyle Rudolph said that was a "point of emphasis" during the bye week. What does a "point of emphasis" look like for a Mike Zimmer-coached team? "It was all we worked on for two straight days," Rudolph said.

I like it!

And they were 2-for-3 today, with the only non-TD coming on three straight kneel-downs. Incidentally, one of the other "misses" was also in Victory Formation against the Lions.

This is what we've all been praying for ... a team that can score when they get into the red zone.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
Hi guys,

10-2 feels pretty good, eh? :) If the Eagles falter, the Vikes have a real shot HFA throughout the playoffs (literally until the end!).

Quote:
Ben Goessling‏
@GoesslingStrib

I like it!

They are calling some incredible plays in the red zone, and executing.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:51 pm
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
And they were 2-for-3 today, with the only non-TD coming on three straight kneel-downs. Incidentally, one of the other "misses" was also in Victory Formation against the Lions.

This is what we've all been praying for ... a team that can score when they get into the red zone.

They really seem to be working together well as a team. They look like genuine SB contenders!

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:53 pm
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

They really seem to be working together well as a team. They look like genuine SB contenders!

Wow!

I honestly never thought I'd hear you say that. It MUST be a great season.

All kidding aside, you know how long I've loved this team. You've been around for a long time, too. This is the most excited I've been about a Vikings team since the '70s. I know the '98 team was great, but I was never completely trusting of the defense. This year's team is special. They just keep getting better. Instead of opponents getting film on us and figuring out how to stop us, Zimmer and Shurmur stay one step ahead.

The Vikings are making me feel like a kid again!

Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:57 pm
Defensive Tackle

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I honestly never thought I'd hear you say that. It MUST be a great season.

LOL! I just haven't seen too many Vikes teams in this century that had me thinking they could do it but they're 10-2! They're obviously good.

You've probably seen me say this before. :) Back in 2012, I thought if they could keep Peterson going and keep playing defense like they did down the stretch of the regular season, they had an outside shot to win it all but that was a tall order and it obviously didn't work out. This team's chances look considerably better.

Quote:
All kidding aside, you know how long I've loved this team. You've been around for a long time, too. This is the most excited I've been about a Vikings team since the '70s. I know the '98 team was great, but I was never completely trusting of the defense.

I'm afraid I was completely sold on that team. They broke my heart (again).

Quote:
This year's team is special. They just keep getting better. Instead of opponents getting film on us and figuring out how to stop us, Zimmer and Shurmur stay one step ahead.

The Vikings are making me feel like a kid again!

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I hope they're a long way from their peak this season and that they'll hit it in the playoffs at the right time. We'll see what happens. It's certainly been a fun season so far.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:33 pm
All Pro Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Mothman wrote:
Hi guys,

Quote:
Ben Goessling‏
@GoesslingStrib

I like it!

They are calling some incredible plays in the red zone, and executing.

Can't remember but there was a few guys here that thought Shurmur was not going to be as "good" a play caller as Turner.........time for your crow....please step forward.......

Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:58 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

To piggyback on something Jim said, and I know this is a bit off topic, but I truly believe that I'd Christian Ponder had played in that game in Lambeau, they would have won that game. One of my coworkers who is a Packer fan was so certain that the Vikings would win.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

PurpleMustReign wrote:
To piggyback on something Jim said, and I know this is a bit off topic, but I truly believe that I'd Christian Ponder had played in that game in Lambeau, they would have won that game. One of my coworkers who is a Packer fan was so certain that the Vikings would win.

I'm starting to think Jim is Ponder. :D

Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:01 pm
Defensive Tackle

808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

I'm starting to think Jim is Ponder. :D

Believe me, if that were true I'd be posting a lot more pictures of my wife Samantha. :)

Regardless of what might have happened in the 2012 postseason at Lambeau if Ponder had been healthy (and the way they were playing, I would have liked their chances), this year they've clearly found a winning chemistry and I hope they can stay healthy and keep rolling without messing with it. Last night's Eagles loss puts the Vikings in a tie for the best record in the conference (and the league)!

Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:53 am
Strong Safety

Since Ponder came up ....

I saw an article on Matt Khalil and his twenty
worst slams by Carolina fans and media on twitter.

Sounds like they are in the same love affair as the
Vikings fans with Khalil ...

The funniest one imo was

Matt must be adopted there is no way he
is related to Ryan.... ouch

I quess he had two penalties on one play
this week.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Did he really have two penalties on one play? That's hilarious!

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

Good to see you posting Jim.
That's what I really like about this team...They are playing like a team.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

halfgiz wrote:
Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:

I thought you meant Jim is what you like about the team.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:08 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver

What was the time of possession in the 2bd half?

Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

PurpleMustReign wrote:

I think it was darn near 20 minutes for us in the second half. Total of 34:02-25:58. The Vikings are currently #4 on offensive TOP/game (32:14). Leader is Philadelphia a 33:07. Of note, the defense is third. Eagles lead that stat as well.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleMustReign wrote:

Great question!

Unofficially by my addition off the play-by-play chart at NFL.com ...

Vikings 21:13
Falcons 8:47

That's the way you shut down a high-powered offense on the road.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:31 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:

Great question!

Unofficially by my addition off the play-by-play chart at NFL.com ...

Vikings 21:13
Falcons 8:47

That's the way you shut down a high-powered offense on the road.
That's insane! The Vikings had it for 75% of the second half!

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

The Vikings halftime adjustments have been great, on both sides of the ball. We have a good coaching staff, i really hope we can keep it, but Im sure Shurmur is gone :(

Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:45 pm
Defensive Tackle

halfgiz wrote:

Thank you. :v):

Quote:

Yes, they have some very welcome balance between the three main units. We haven't seen enough of that from Vikings teams over the past 20 years or so and it's refreshing!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:03 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
halfgiz wrote:

Thank you. :v):

Quote:

Yes, they have some very welcome balance between the three main units. We haven't seen enough of that from Vikings teams over the past 20 years or so and it's refreshing!
Yeah, it's weird to have a top 5 offense AND defense.
I said it before, Keenum doesn't just dump the ball down, he let's his players make plays. I think that is huge, and something the Vikings have not had since Cunningham.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:28 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Most of Case's throws are short stuff. Look it up. And the YAC is more of the receivers doing then Case. Case puts the ball where the receivers have a chance to make a play for the ball. Its usually good, but he leaves a lot of yards on the field by not putting the ball on the money. But so do all the other QBs. Case's accuracy looks good because he throws short passes to great receivers. Thats the offense Shurmur is running, along with a good running game, both being improved by a very much improved Oline of the past few years.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 pm
Site Admin

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Most of Case's throws are short stuff. Look it up.

I'm trying to but can't seem to find the stats. I know there's an average depth of pass out there somewhere. Do you know where? Where are you getting the data?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:05 pm
Hall of Famer

Cliff wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
Most of Case's throws are short stuff. Look it up.

I'm trying to but can't seem to find the stats. I know there's an average depth of pass out there somewhere. Do you know where? Where are you getting the data?

By watching the game, and listening to announcers. Im pretty sure they said last week Case didnt throw a single ball over 15 yards that was completed. Or maybe that was in the first half. But he dinks and dunks as many passes as Teddy ever did. And Teddy literally had half the time to throw the ball. Its all after the catch, which is more to the receivers credit then Case.

People are making a god out of Case. He is improving, and hopefully will continue to do so, but the bottom could fall out just as easily.

Edit:
If you do find a place that has that stat, post it here please. I remember seeing a chart somewhere of where Case throws the ball, and so many were just short passes, rarely over 10 yards. Nothing wrong with that, the Vikes have one of the best offenses we've seen in a while. But people are always saying, "well Teddy didnt do that, or couldnt do that" when its entirely speculation. Teddy was never in this type of situation.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:19 pm
Career Elite Player

^Hot take.

Keenum has thrown the ball down the field plenty so far this season and I really don't understand what you're watching if you don't see that...

This game was a necessary exception. Atlanta made it a point to take that away and Minnesota had a plan to control the ball and keep Atlanta's dynamic offense off the field. It is yet another way that Minnesota can beat and it was on full display against Atlanta.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm
Hall of Famer

PacificNorseWest wrote:
^Hot take.

Keenum has thrown the ball down the field plenty so far this season and I really don't understand what you're watching if you don't see that...

This game was a necessary exception. Atlanta made it a point to take that away and Minnesota had a plan to control the ball and keep Atlanta's dynamic offense off the field. It is yet another way that Minnesota can beat and it was on full display against Atlanta.

Where's your data?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:09 pm
Hall of Famer

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:
^Hot take.

Where's your data?

Here's the damn data.

Watch the game against Washington. Watch the 51-yarder to Stefon Diggs that was an absolutely perfect bomb. Watch him hit Thielen in stride for 38. Another deep ball down the left sideline to Thielen for 38 more. Next play, deep out to Thielen for 17. That's just the first freaking half. Then deep over the middle to Thielen for 49.

Oh I know ... he threw two picks, which is all you'll choose to see. He put up 38, but he threw two picks, so he MUST suck. The Vikings have scored 14 TDs and two knee-downs in their last 17 trips to the red zone, but Keenum is just lucky.

Data. Whatever. Keep on griping about the Vikings not playing Teddy Bridgewater. Meanwhile, when we're hoisting the trophy, you'll be going, "But we'd have won more better with Teddy."

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
PacificNorseWest wrote:
^Hot take.

Where's your data?
Where's yours?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

WTF, im not gripping about Teddy not playing. Whats your problem? Don't I bow enough before Case? I'm as happy as anyone hes gotten the job done, im jusy not anointing him as jesus christ right now. Its tiresome. You want a few guys who deserve praise more then Case? Try Smith and Joseph.

Im sick of guys like you putting Teddy down, and thinking Case is the next Brady. He isnt. No one even wanted him as their QB. In Shurmurs system he is doing well. Especially when his first read is AT, who runs the best routes on the team. Sometimes he gets to the second read (with the much improved Oline). Sometimes he makes good reads, sometimes he doesnt. Sometimes he chucks it up there and gets away with it, other times he doesnt. Just like most of the other QBs out there. Case is extremely lucky he is in the situation he is. So much changed since Teddy was in the game. Sometime backup QBs get lucky, sometimes they really do well. And then sometimes they fall apart. O tear their knee out.

Where did you get your info on how long case threw the ball for? I'm not talking YAC, or total yards, im talking what type of throws is Case making.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next