Hey Vikings Fans...here to talk about the game on Sunday

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Hey Vikings Fans...here to talk about the game on Sunday

Post by VikingLord »

Falcons34 wrote: Pressure on Matt Ryan is the key, if they give him time then.....
The Vikings have been able to generate a lot of pressure this year against pretty much everyone they've played and Ryan is a pocket passer. In my opinion, the team that most resembles the Falcon offense that the Vikings have played (the Rams) had it's entire offensive scheme altered by that pressure, and the result was not pretty for the Rams. Of course, the Falcons are not the Rams and the game is in Atlanta so the defense won't get the benefit of crowd noise, but the Falcons should expect Ryan to be under duress. Whether than has the same effect on the Falcon offense as it did on the Ram offense I can't say - a lot depends on how the Falcons deal with it. The Rams tried to deal with it by running Gurley and couldn't do it.

The other factor here is the Vikings have good speed and coverage skills behind the defensive line. It's not like they live and die by their ability to sack or disrupt the QB - they can actually cover and will create coverage problems for any QB and his receivers. So even if Ryan does get time he's still not going to have it easy and will have to be on his game.
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Should be an evenly matched game. I dont expect Rhodes to give up more then 60 yards, so some of your members maybe should watch him a bit more before talking about him. I expect Theilen to end up with more yards.
We will have to see...I think Julio gets more then 60 yards but alot of us have watched Rhodes before....me in particular..since I grew up in Minnesota. Maybe you should just watch the game and see what happens lol
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

VikingLord wrote: The Vikings have been able to generate a lot of pressure this year against pretty much everyone they've played and Ryan is a pocket passer. In my opinion, the team that most resembles the Falcon offense that the Vikings have played (the Rams) had it's entire offensive scheme altered by that pressure, and the result was not pretty for the Rams. Of course, the Falcons are not the Rams and the game is in Atlanta so the defense won't get the benefit of crowd noise, but the Falcons should expect Ryan to be under duress. Whether than has the same effect on the Falcon offense as it did on the Ram offense I can't say - a lot depends on how the Falcons deal with it. The Rams tried to deal with it by running Gurley and couldn't do it.

The other factor here is the Vikings have good speed and coverage skills behind the defensive line. It's not like they live and die by their ability to sack or disrupt the QB - they can actually cover and will create coverage problems for any QB and his receivers. So even if Ryan does get time he's still not going to have it easy and will have to be on his game.
It is going to a whole lot different with the two headed monster, the falcons have in the backfield. I think the Vikings will get pressure but Ryan is also a better qb then Goff so he may be able to handle it better. We will just have to wait and see. Is the other Corner any good?...he will be tested on Sunday.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Trae Waynes (the other corner) gets tested every game, a lot of that is due to Rhodes. Is he good? Consensus varies from no to he's decent. To me, he's frequently in position but he has below average ball awareness. He's a solid tackler and thus good against the run but his coverage skills need work.

Nickel corner is either Terrence Newman or Mac Alexander. Newman has been solid but he is in the twilight of his career and tends to go off script at times. Alexander is a work in progress but is showing improvement.

To me, our corners are the biggest weakness on the team (and that's a bit nitpicky because I don't think they're bad). The DL is pretty good across, we have two very good LBs, and a great and above average safety. I think the Falcons best chance is to attack the middle of the field and establish the run with their great committee backfield.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Falcons34 wrote: It is going to a whole lot different with the two headed monster, the falcons have in the backfield. I think the Vikings will get pressure but Ryan is also a better qb then Goff so he may be able to handle it better. We will just have to wait and see. Is the other Corner any good?...he will be tested on Sunday.
Is it?

In terms of rushing yards per game over the course of the season, the Falcons are ranked 10th just behind the Rams at 116.8 YPG (Rams are at 117.5 YPG). That doesn't mean I discount the Falcon running game, but if the seasonal averages indicate overall effectiveness at this point in the season, that suggests the Falcons will be susceptible to the same defensive challenges the Rams faced. The difference, if there is one, is this game is a home game for the Falcons, but that will mainly impact Ryan's ability to audible out of plays he feels might be stopped by the defensive alignment he sees.

As for Ryan being a better QB than Goff, I likewise don't take that as a given, once again in terms of seasonal performance of their respective offenses. Ryan obviously has more experience, but that won't help him much if he's under a lot of pressure and the Falcons are having a hard time adjusting to it.

As far as the defensive backfield of the Vikings goes, I look to the seasonal averages again as I think that is one of the better ways of evening out the effects of individual matchups and variances in overall play during the course of a season, and enough season has passed now to draw some general conclusions from those stats. Against the pass, the Vikings defense is currently ranked 11th in the NFL @ 214.9 YPG against. By comparison, the Falcons are 8th @ 207.9 YPG. So while those numbers don't indicate the Vikings are exceptional in coverage overall, they're solidly top-half in the NFL against the pass. In the case of the Vikings, though, that also probably comes from the fact that the Vikings tend to get ahead early and opponents find themselves needing late game heroics to get back into the game.

Should be a good game.
Falcons34
Practice Squad

Post by Falcons34 »

S197 wrote:Trae Waynes (the other corner) gets tested every game, a lot of that is due to Rhodes. Is he good? Consensus varies from no to he's decent. To me, he's frequently in position but he has below average ball awareness. He's a solid tackler and thus good against the run but his coverage skills need work.

Nickel corner is either Terrence Newman or Mac Alexander. Newman has been solid but he is in the twilight of his career and tends to go off script at times. Alexander is a work in progress but is showing improvement.

To me, our corners are the biggest weakness on the team (and that's a bit nitpicky because I don't think they're bad). The DL is pretty good across, we have two very good LBs, and a great and above average safety. I think the Falcons best chance is to attack the middle of the field and establish the run with their great committee backfield.
Thanks for the breakdown, I will be at the game watching these matchups trying to see if the falcons attack the middle of the field lol
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

VikingLord wrote: Is it?

In terms of rushing yards per game over the course of the season, the Falcons are ranked 10th just behind the Rams at 116.8 YPG (Rams are at 117.5 YPG). That doesn't mean I discount the Falcon running game, but if the seasonal averages indicate overall effectiveness at this point in the season, that suggests the Falcons will be susceptible to the same defensive challenges the Rams faced. The difference, if there is one, is this game is a home game for the Falcons, but that will mainly impact Ryan's ability to audible out of plays he feels might be stopped by the defensive alignment he sees.

As for Ryan being a better QB than Goff, I likewise don't take that as a given, once again in terms of seasonal performance of their respective offenses. Ryan obviously has more experience, but that won't help him much if he's under a lot of pressure and the Falcons are having a hard time adjusting to it.

As far as the defensive backfield of the Vikings goes, I look to the seasonal averages again as I think that is one of the better ways of evening out the effects of individual matchups and variances in overall play during the course of a season, and enough season has passed now to draw some general conclusions from those stats. Against the pass, the Vikings defense is currently ranked 11th in the NFL @ 214.9 YPG against. By comparison, the Falcons are 8th @ 207.9 YPG. So while those numbers don't indicate the Vikings are exceptional in coverage overall, they're solidly top-half in the NFL against the pass. In the case of the Vikings, though, that also probably comes from the fact that the Vikings tend to get ahead early and opponents find themselves needing late game heroics to get back into the game.

Should be a good game.
I'd keep in mind that we haven't won that many nail biters. Some of those passing yards are teams throwing in garbage time when we have a 2+ score lead. This team will go into a cover 2 shell and let QBs have the 5-8 yard passes to chew time off the clock. Washington and 2nd half DET on Thanksgiving are the only teams that have really had their way against us passing wise. As I said previously Zimmer has had the Falcon's number defensively during his tenure as Vikings Head Coach. It is reasonable to expect that the defense will be formidable.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi