Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

It's time to give Case Keenum his due
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30074
Page 6 of 6

Author:  dead_poet [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

PurpleMustReign wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
I'll say it: postseason Case scares me.
But he even said it is uncharted territory for him, and who knows how he will play.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


That's my concern.

I've reviewed some of his better and worse games and (unsurprisingly) the better the line holds up the better he is.

Easton was solid in pass protection. I worry the downgrade we see there will be more of an issue to the offensive production than has been discussed. Interior pressure is death. He's been great at climbing the pocket to avoid sacks. But when they come from the interior, the results are usually a sack.

Author:  dead_poet [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

PurpleMustReign wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
I'll say it: postseason Case scares me.
But he even said it is uncharted territory for him, and who knows how he will play.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


That's my concern.

I've reviewed some of his better and worse games and (unsurprisingly) the better the line holds up the better he is.

Easton was solid in pass protection. I worry the downgrade we see there will be more of an issue to the offensive production than has been discussed. Interior pressure is death. He's been great at climbing the pocket to avoid sacks. But when they come from the interior, the results are usually a sack.

Author:  Cliff [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

dead_poet wrote:
I'll say it: postseason Case scares me.


Postseason Vikings scare me period. Zimmer is basically just as unknown as Case in the playoffs. Thus far he's made one appearance for the Vikings and that was a loss (even if only by a last minute field goal miss). Before that it's not stellar either though.

His defense in the playoffs over the last 10 years;

  • Bengals 2009 @ home against Jets - Gave up 171 rushing yards and 2 TDs. Allowed 12/15 182 yards 1TD/0INT to Mark Sanchez. 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FFs, lost 24-14 in the Wildcard round.
  • Bengals 2011 @ Houston - Gave up 188 rushing yards and 2TDs. Passing game was ok; 11/20, 159 yards 1TD/0INT to T.J. Yates. 2 sacks, 0 INTS, 0 FFs Lost 31 - 10 in Wildcard round.
  • Bengals 2012 @ Houston - Gave up 158 Rushing yards and 1 rushing TD. Matt Schaub went 29/38 for 262 yards 0TD/1INT. 0 Sacks, 1 INT, 0 FFs
  • Bengals 2013 @ Home against Chargers - gave up 196 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs. Rivers went 12/16 for 128 yards and 1TD/0INT. 1 sack, 0 INT, 0 FFs

Author:  jackal [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

I just heard Bradford showed up to practice

Oh lord ... there going to find a way to screw
this up

Author:  Raptorman [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Updated the numbers. Added TD and Int percentage, game W/L and Wilson.

Games, Nov 12th through Dec. 25th. (Wilson is Nov 9th. They had a bye on he 12th)

Code:
          Com   Att   Per   Yards    TD's  TD %   Ints   INT %   YPA      W/L
Keenum    155   219   70.8%   1748    14   6.4%    4     1.8%    8.0      6-1
Brady     161   235   68.5%   1846    14   6.0%    6     2.6%    7.9      6-1
Bortles   161   255   63.1%   1872    11   4.3%    6     2.4%    7.3      5-2
Goff      149   233   63.9%   1774    15   6.4%    3     1.3%    7.6      5-2
Roeth     192   286   67.1%   1985    18   6.3%    6     2.1%    6.9      6-1
Wilson    133   221   60.2%   1475    15   6.8%    5     2.0%    6.6      5-2

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Quote:
The concern here with Keenum is that he is missing these throws in the home stretch of the season. While the Rams, Panthers and Saints are hitting their stride right at playoff time, the Vikings are showing a few cracks on offense. Their pass pro has not been as good and as a result, Keenum is a bit more antsy in the pocket. Keenum has also been just generally a bit less accurate. Receivers are dropping balls a bit more often. But hitting big plays would go a long way to making up for offensive deficiencies.

Keenum’s Deep Throws Have to Improve



With this defense, it may not matter. But it also may be the difference between reaching the SB and not.

Vikings can't keep getting bailed out with PI calls or dropped interceptions. Keenum will need to up his game in the playoffs.

Love his pocket awareness, fight, leadership, no fear attitude. He needs to starting hitting the open deep man.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:
The concern here with Keenum is that he is missing these throws in the home stretch of the season. While the Rams, Panthers and Saints are hitting their stride right at playoff time, the Vikings are showing a few cracks on offense. Their pass pro has not been as good and as a result, Keenum is a bit more antsy in the pocket. Keenum has also been just generally a bit less accurate. Receivers are dropping balls a bit more often. But hitting big plays would go a long way to making up for offensive deficiencies.

Keenum’s Deep Throws Have to Improve



With this defense, it may not matter. But it also may be the difference between reaching the SB and not.

Vikings can't keep getting bailed out with PI calls or dropped interceptions. Keenum will need to up his game in the playoffs.

Love his pocket awareness, fight, leadership, no fear attitude. He needs to starting hitting the open deep man.
I agree, but if he hasn't yet, he likely won't. He's very accurate on the move, so maybe do more of that.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  TeamChaplain [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!

Author:  dead_poet [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

TeamChaplain wrote:
is going to be the next Drew Brees


:shock:

:gone:

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

dead_poet wrote:
TeamChaplain wrote:
is going to be the next Drew Brees


:shock:

:gone:


:point: I like what Case has done this year but the next Drew Brees?! Give me what you're having.. :ripple:

Author:  TeamChaplain [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

TeamChaplain wrote:
I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!


https://screenshots.firefox.com/ejVfODR ... google.com

Here are Drew Brees Career Stats, I honestly don't think my statement is much of a reach, it could be a reach, but hey no one really knows.

Author:  S197 [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

If someone offers Keenum a stupid amount of money this offseason, what are everyone's thoughts on Alex Smith? Since my brother is a Chief's fan, I've seen him play in person several times. I think he has a similar skill set to Keenum with a better long ball. Obviously we should be drafting for a long term solution but as a contingency, I think he would be a pretty good fit.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

TeamChaplain wrote:
TeamChaplain wrote:
I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!


https://screenshots.firefox.com/ejVfODR ... google.com

Here are Drew Brees Career Stats, I honestly don't think my statement is much of a reach, it could be a reach, but hey no one really knows.

For all you guys busting on this comment, actually click on the link and look at the stats from Drew Brees' first five years.

They're eerily similar to Case's. As a matter of fact, Case's are better.

I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
TeamChaplain wrote:
TeamChaplain wrote:
I am all in on the Case Keenum fan club. The guy has been impressive and is going to be the next Drew Brees, he is a LEADER!


https://screenshots.firefox.com/ejVfODR ... google.com

Here are Drew Brees Career Stats, I honestly don't think my statement is much of a reach, it could be a reach, but hey no one really knows.

For all you guys busting on this comment, actually click on the link and look at the stats from Drew Brees' first five years.

They're eerily similar to Case's. As a matter of fact, Case's are better.

I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.
I agree. I was surprised to see how similar their stats were.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

S197 wrote:
If someone offers Keenum a stupid amount of money this offseason, what are everyone's thoughts on Alex Smith? Since my brother is a Chief's fan, I've seen him play in person several times. I think he has a similar skill set to Keenum with a better long ball. Obviously we should be drafting for a long term solution but as a contingency, I think he would be a pretty good fit.


I'd be cool with Smith. I wouldn't feel comfortable breaking the bank for keenum, Smith, or cousins though. I hope they draft one in the first 4 rounds.

Author:  PacificNorseWest [ Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

I’m not in on the Alex Smith idea. He’s the checkdown master and will become frustrating very quickly. I don’t think a team is going to offer Keenum insane money though.

He might go elsewhere if he feels the Vikings are lowballing him, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he gets the money he wants from another team.

Author:  Raz [ Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

I would rather have Case stay here out of all the qbs listed. He seems to have the it factor not one thing inpaticular but wins games.

Author:  Maelstrom88 [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Great video I came across today. Case Keenum has guts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6CgiqI5QJA

Also found it amusing how Sean Payton's suspension was on the ticker. Also Bradford is on the tv over Gruden's shoulder about 12 minutes in. I think Case likes people doubting him and will show he's for real this Sunday.

Author:  VikingLord [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.


I think what is also forgotten with Keenum is that he had a lot of success in college. IIRC, many pundits said he would have been a clear 1st round pick if he were just 2 inches taller. Which is just a silly thing to think about. In college, playing at the top level, he dominated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum#NCAA_records

While I don't know if he will be the next Drew Brees, he has shown he can make plays and play the position at multiple levels. Maybe he didn't light the NFL on fire early in his career, but as you point out, sometimes the right guy with the right team at the right time can make all the difference (if that rings a faint bell with anyone, you're probably a fan of Half Life 2...).

Rise and shine, Mr. Keenum... Rise, and shine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBwxbWVb-M

Somehow seems appropriate here with us, the long suffering Vikings fans, being the GMan...

Author:  Rhodes Closed [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.

ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.

Author:  dead_poet [ Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.

ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.


Yes, but at least that way the Vikings wouldn't be in a great position to proactively make the "wrong" decision.

Man, this QB situation is bananas.

Author:  VikingLord [ Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Rhodes Closed wrote:
Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.


Thanks. I played them all. Valve did such a fantastic job with not just the games, but developing the story. I am still struggling with the fact that there will be no HL3 and no conclusion to the story.

Author:  808vikingsfan [ Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Quote:
Last offseason, the Vikings were looking to replace Shaun Hill as the backup quarterback to Sam Bradford. They wanted a veteran who was in the sweet spot between young enough and cheap enough. There weren't many options.

They studied Keenum's performance with the Rams and focused on the positives. He won four games with a bad team. He had an outstanding performance against the Lions. His teammates made him a captain.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman talked himself into making Keenum a one-year, $2 million offer.

Through offseason workouts and training camp, the Vikings weren't sure whether Keenum would beat out fellow backup Taylor Heinicke. As Keenum was throwing interceptions in camp, it became fair to wonder if he would be any different in his fifth pro offense than he was in his first four. Even after Keenum had a decent preseason, no one felt confident in his ability to win games if he had to play.


How Case Keenum Went from Unwanted Free Agent to Leader of the NFC Favorites

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:
Last offseason, the Vikings were looking to replace Shaun Hill as the backup quarterback to Sam Bradford. They wanted a veteran who was in the sweet spot between young enough and cheap enough. There weren't many options.

They studied Keenum's performance with the Rams and focused on the positives. He won four games with a bad team. He had an outstanding performance against the Lions. His teammates made him a captain.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman talked himself into making Keenum a one-year, $2 million offer.

Through offseason workouts and training camp, the Vikings weren't sure whether Keenum would beat out fellow backup Taylor Heinicke. As Keenum was throwing interceptions in camp, it became fair to wonder if he would be any different in his fifth pro offense than he was in his first four. Even after Keenum had a decent preseason, no one felt confident in his ability to win games if he had to play.


How Case Keenum Went from Unwanted Free Agent to Leader of the NFC Favorites


I read this article yesterday. Excellent read. How do you not love Keenum after reading that?

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Quote:
Last offseason, the Vikings were looking to replace Shaun Hill as the backup quarterback to Sam Bradford. They wanted a veteran who was in the sweet spot between young enough and cheap enough. There weren't many options.

They studied Keenum's performance with the Rams and focused on the positives. He won four games with a bad team. He had an outstanding performance against the Lions. His teammates made him a captain.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman talked himself into making Keenum a one-year, $2 million offer.

Through offseason workouts and training camp, the Vikings weren't sure whether Keenum would beat out fellow backup Taylor Heinicke. As Keenum was throwing interceptions in camp, it became fair to wonder if he would be any different in his fifth pro offense than he was in his first four. Even after Keenum had a decent preseason, no one felt confident in his ability to win games if he had to play.


How Case Keenum Went from Unwanted Free Agent to Leader of the NFC Favorites


I read this article yesterday. Excellent read. How do you not love Keenum after reading that?

Truly is a good read and a great story.

What kills me is that the national media pay no attention to this part of it. Oh sure, they talk about the fact that he was undrafted, but mostly they keep asking, "Do you really trust Case Keenum?" The answer ought to be, and precisely BECAUSE of his story. They ought to be talking about how nobody wanted him, even when he was coming out of high school. How he bonds with his teammates. How beats everybody to the facility every morning, even his coaches. How he's developed this almost telekinetic relationship with Adam Thielen, another unwanted, undrafted player who made himself great. How even Teddy Bridgewater, his chief competition for both playing time and fan loyalty, loves and respects him.

They all romanticize the fact that Tom Brady was a 6th-round draft choice, but at least Brady was drafted, AND he was recruited by Michigan, a college superpower. Almost nobody wanted Keenum.

My hope is that the Vikings make the Super Bowl, and during the endless lead-up stories that come out, the national media finally realize what this man has done to make himself into an excellent player. Maybe NBC could do a piece about both him and Thielen.

Author:  720pete [ Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

J. Kapp 11 wrote:

What kills me is that the national media pay no attention to this part of it. Oh sure, they talk about the fact that he was undrafted, but mostly they keep asking, "Do you really trust Case Keenum?" The answer ought to be, and precisely BECAUSE of his story. They ought to be talking about how nobody wanted him, even when he was coming out of high school. How he bonds with his teammates. How beats everybody to the facility every morning, even his coaches. How he's developed this almost telekinetic relationship with Adam Thielen, another unwanted, undrafted player who made himself great. How even Teddy Bridgewater, his chief competition for both playing time and fan loyalty, loves and respects him.

They all romanticize the fact that Tom Brady was a 6th-round draft choice, but at least Brady was drafted, AND he was recruited by Michigan, a college superpower. Almost nobody wanted Keenum.

My hope is that the Vikings make the Super Bowl, and during the endless lead-up stories that come out, the national media finally realize what this man has done to make himself into an excellent player. Maybe NBC could do a piece about both him and Thielen.


I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, you are very spot on, but I think the media has a Nick Foles hangover and won't give Keenum his due unless he wins the superbowl.

Author:  w_huisman [ Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.

ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.


Keenum isn't a pair of socks. Shurmur cant just stuff him a suitcase and take him with. Maybe he'll take Bradford? Who knows at this point? It's all speculation and conjecture.

Page 6 of 6 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/