View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 It's time to give Case Keenum his due 
All Pro Elite Player

Post Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due
Could it be that the game has slowed down for Case? And we were lucky picking him up in the offseason? Idk whether it will be Case 2018, but who cares? He's here now and playing out of his mind.

Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter

Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 am
All Pro Elite Player

Didn't Zimmer at one point last year or the year before basically say that he will sink or swim with Teddy? I'm pretty certain he did. With that said, maybe not cementing Case as the starter for the rest of the season is keeping him on his toes week to week. I agree, he should be named the starter, but in some odd way maybe he would become a little complacent. I don't care about feel good stories, or the fact that Teddy is a nice guy, I want the team to win and Case gives them the best opportunity this season. To plug a guy into an offense during a 9-2 season who hasn't played a meaningful game in ages in lunacy. He wasn't any good before, so I've never understood the optimism with Teddy (nobody has any idea of the after effects of the knee injury as far as mentally).

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:37 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:58 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

808vikingsfan wrote:
Wow.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:27 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

808vikingsfan wrote:

Sweet video. Even though he was wrong about Case, I really like CC's analysis. Especially when he observes that the Vikings aren't just asking Case to manage games, they are asking him to go out and win and he's doing it. I think that's what gives me confidence that he could possibly lead us to our first SB victory.

Having seen him at UH, I really liked the offseason move to get him. The QB position is so important that it warrants a lot of resources and careful planning, and Rick had his best offseason last spring/ summer. The OL fix still astounds me, and obviously that's a huge reason for Case's success.

What will be interesting to watch is how long of a leash Zimmer gives Case. If he royally f's up a game, will he be tempted to put Teddy in? After how many Ints? How bad will it have to be? That's a tough coaching decision, and hopefully we don't have to find out, but certainly some amount of adversity will arise at some point, so this is an interesting point to watch IMO.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am
All Pro Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:

Sweet video. Even though he was wrong about Case, I really like CC's analysis. Especially when he observes that the Vikings aren't just asking Case to manage games, they are asking him to go out and win and he's doing it. I think that's what gives me confidence that he could possibly lead us to our first SB victory.

Having seen him at UH, I really liked the offseason move to get him. The QB position is so important that it warrants a lot of resources and careful planning, and Rick had his best offseason last spring/ summer.

Case made a good impression on me when I watched him on All Or Nothing: LA Rams, from last season. I thought he played well, despite a few picks, and handled adversity well given Jared Goff lurking in the wings.

I thought he would make a great backup, for just this reason: that he had the potential to lead beyond a play/game or two.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm
All Pro Elite Player

mosscarter wrote:
Didn't Zimmer at one point last year or the year before basically say that he will sink or swim with Teddy? I'm pretty certain he did. With that said, maybe not cementing Case as the starter for the rest of the season is keeping him on his toes week to week. I agree, he should be named the starter, but in some odd way maybe he would become a little complacent. I don't care about feel good stories, or the fact that Teddy is a nice guy, I want the team to win and Case gives them the best opportunity this season. To plug a guy into an offense during a 9-2 season who hasn't played a meaningful game in ages in lunacy. He wasn't any good before, so I've never understood the optimism with Teddy (nobody has any idea of the after effects of the knee injury as far as mentally).

Which makes me wonder how hard will Zimmer try and sign Case in the offseason. Seems a little strange he has played in every game but one and he isn't even acknowledged as the starter with his record this year.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Mothman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
We have a thread called the "Sammy-Teddy-Case thread." It's an entire conversation, complete with 181 replies, that talks mostly about WHEN Teddy takes over the team from the capable, yet backup-QB hands of Case Keenum.

I am here to state in no uncertain terms that this team is now Case Keenum's. Or at least, it had better be.

The man has now had five games with a passer rating north of 100, including three in a row. He's not just managing games ... he's winning them. The Detroit game was all Case, a true tour de force of quarterback play. His 22-yard touchdown pass to Kyle Rudolph was as good a play as you'll see a quarterback make. His avoidance of the rush and laser throw to Adam Thielen in the first quarter was vintage Keenum, a play he's now making regularly. The read-option run for a touchdown completely baffled the Lions. The man played like a top-5 quarterback today, and he's played that way for three straight games. The Vikings have won 7 straight with this man at the helm. We have a great chance at the No. 1 seed.

This is no longer about "seeing what we have in Teddy" or "Case can't lead this team to a deep playoff run so we need to get Teddy in there." As far as I'm concerned, this is Case's team now, for as far as he can take them. As Zimmer said in the locker room after the game: ""We're not playing to get in the tournament. We're playing to f--king win at home." And he can talk that way because the Vikings have what every team in the NFL wants ... confidence in who is taking the snaps at the game’s most important position.

If Teddy Bridgewater never takes a snap this season, it's OK with me. That's not a knock on Teddy. It's affirmation of Case Keenum. The man is not just playing well. He's making a late run at MVP.

And let's all remember ... there was a quarterback nearly 20 years ago who was an undrafted free agent, had been cut by one team, signed as a deep backup by another, and won the MVP and the Super Bowl after replacing the injured starter. His name is Kurt Warner. So don't tell me it can't be done. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing a lot of parallels here. Hard as it is to say, Case Keenum might just win the MVP. Yes, Case Keenum.

The floor is now open for debate.

All I can say, Kapp, is I agree that Keenum's earned the right to keep starting without looking over his shoulder. I read in the Star Tribune today that Zimmer still seems to be hedging his bets about the position. I think that's potentially self-defeating because as you wrote above, Keenum has been playing terrific football. He looks comfortable in the offense and he's been turning potentially negative plays into positive (or even huge) plays. Instead of worrying about who will take over for him, right now the Vikes should be doing backflips that they have him and they should be giving as much consideration to keeping him after this year as they give to Bridgewater or Bradford. He's been giving them what they've been seeking at QB. I don't know if he can sustain it or not but right now, they should roll with it. If his performance falls off a cliff at some point, they can always make a move then but it looks to me like he's responded to the challenge before him and more importantly, it looks like the team has responded to him.

My theory on this is that Case has gotten better as he's been having to look over his shoulder, so they are maintaining the environment that has produced the best results.

I agree, at this point it should be his job to lose.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:07 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

halfgiz wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

Which makes me wonder how hard will Zimmer try and sign Case in the offseason. Seems a little strange he has played in every game but one and he isn't even acknowledged as the starter with his record this year.

Doesn't Spielman make those decisions?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:50 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Who our QB will be in 2018 is going to make for a very interesting March. At this point four names are in the hat to varying degrees:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

All have their positives and negatives. If he is Healthy, Bradford is the best QB of the lot. TB is a complete wildcard. In both of these cases there is a huge issue of health and longevity. Bradford might never play another snap. Just how healthy is Teddy?

Cousins would be a great get IMO, but will he come here or will he even be available? WSH might just franchise him again. Too much unknown.

Last, but not least is Keenum. The guy is playing out of his mind right now. Will that continue? Can it? Or will he regress to his mean?

One major positive is that right now, this might be the most desirable landing spot for a QB of any age. We have a nearly complete roster and a VERY competent coaching staff. You could do a lot worse if you are a free agent. This is what makes me think we have a shot at Cousins.

All of this is plagued by uncertainty which at least for me, makes it not really worth talking about. We are in December of our best season since 2009. I'm going to enjoy that before i worry about 2018.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:16 pm
All Pro Elite Player

720pete wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

To be honest I'm not sure how it works. I would think that Zimmers opinion counts.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:51 pm
Career Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
Who our QB will be in 2018 is going to make for a very interesting March. At this point four names are in the hat to varying degrees:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

All have their positives and negatives. If he is Healthy, Bradford is the best QB of the lot. TB is a complete wildcard. In both of these cases there is a huge issue of health and longevity. Bradford might never play another snap. Just how healthy is Teddy?

I've heard that Cousins will cost about $25 million per year. Bradford - if proven healthy, maybe $18 million. Speculation was that the current version of Keenum would be about $15 million, and Bridgewater would be about $7 million per year - although I'm thinking that $10 million would be closer.

So, at that, I don't think we'd want Cousins. Any QB that would start for us for under $15 million would be fine with me. Otherwise, we'd lose too many of our other players paying him.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:59 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I don't know. If the QB can play at an elite level he is worth the cost. Look at GB. They have a top guy at QB and the rest of their team is woefully pedestrian. When Rogers is healthy they are going to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE SEASON. The QB, when great, provides a lot of cushion for the other 21 starters.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm
Career Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
I don't know. If the QB can play at an elite level he is worth the cost. Look at GB. They have a top guy at QB and the rest of their team is woefully pedestrian. When Rogers is healthy they are going to the playoffs EVERY SINGLE SEASON. The QB, when great, provides a lot of cushion for the other 21 starters.
Is Cousins elite?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:14 pm
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
You know what would be the most inspiring story to me (and I'll go out on a limb and say 98% of Vikings fans)? That would be the Vikings winning the Super Bowl.

^^^^THIS! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

In Case we trust. :govikes:

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 pm
All Pro Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

Cousins would be a great get IMO, but will he come here or will he even be available? WSH might just franchise him again. Too much unknown.

Last, but not least is Keenum. The guy is playing out of his mind right now. Will that continue? Can it? Or will he regress to his mean?

One major positive is that right now, this might be the most desirable landing spot for a QB of any age. We have a nearly complete roster and a VERY competent coaching staff. You could do a lot worse if you are a free agent. This is what makes me think we have a shot at Cousins.

All of this is plagued by uncertainty which at least for me, makes it not really worth talking about. We are in December of our best season since 2009. I'm going to enjoy that before i worry about 2018.

I would like to add a little twist to these possible equations. I have heard on multiple different shows that Shurmurs name is popping up all around the league as 2018 head coach possibility. Will worry about that when the time comes but thought it was worthy of a mention.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:02 pm
Fenrir

720pete wrote:
halfgiz wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

Yeah ultimately it's Spielman's call, with the aid of Zimmer, Shurmur, Brez, etc.

Spielman sets the roster, Zimmer sets the starters. That's a bit over simplified because there are obviously input from one another that go into it, but ultimately that's how it shakes out.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

I would like to add a little twist to these possible equations. I have heard on multiple different shows that Shurmurs name is popping up all around the league as 2018 head coach possibility. Will worry about that when the time comes but thought it was worthy of a mention.

I hope they are able to retain him. I believe having coordinator continuity is a tremendous asset.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:53 pm
Commissioner

autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

That plays directly into a lengthy post I'm too lazy to write the jist of which is I worry that if we extend Case and Shurmer leaves he'd revert back to the Case he's been throughout his career.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:52 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

dead_poet wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

That plays directly into a lengthy post I'm too lazy to write the jist of which is I worry that if we extend Case and Shurmer leaves he'd revert back to the Case he's been throughout his career.
I agree DP. I don't think Shurmur will be going anywhere just yet, though.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:55 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

Keenum doesn't become a free agent until March. Chances are very good that if Shurmur is hired as a head coach, he'll be gone before then. In that case, I highly doubt that the Vikings would re-sign Case, especially given Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.

Of course, if Case leads the Vikings to a win in the Super Bowl, all bets are off. There will be enormous pressure to re-sign him. But you know, I'd trade a mistake with Case Keenum long-term for a Lombardi trophy now. All day long.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:58 pm
Career Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

Keenum doesn't become a free agent until March. Chances are very good that if Shurmur is hired as a head coach, he'll be gone before then. In that case, I highly doubt that the Vikings would re-sign Case, especially given Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.

Of course, if Case leads the Vikings to a win in the Super Bowl, all bets are off. There will be enormous pressure to re-sign him. But you know, I'd trade a mistake with Case Keenum long-term for a Lombardi trophy now. All day long.
I agree with everything both of you said.

i still want teddy tho

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:51 pm
Hall of Famer

It would suck if Shurmur leaves before Teddy gets a chance to play for him. Case owes A LOT of his success to Pat. If the Case bubble bursts, there are going to be a lot of people wishing Teddy had been given some games to play before the playoffs. But then, maybe it really is Case's time. And its a hard call to make, changing QBs when you are winning. It would be typical Vikings luck though.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 am
Site Admin

I'm betting if Shurmur moves to an HC job that Tony Sparano gets moved up to OC. He's done a great job with that offensive line but I don't know how I'd feel about that.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:55 am
Franchise Player

Apparently, Case Keenum is the NFC Offensive Player of the Month for Novemeber.
That coupled with the raucous ovation he received recently at a T-Wolves game shows that he is really starting to get some love.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Grashopa wrote:
That coupled with the raucous ovation he received recently at a T-Wolves game shows that he is really starting to get some love.

VIKINGS NAMED NFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE MONTH
1995 Warren Moon November
1997 Jake Reed September
1998 Randall Cunningham October
1999 Cris Carter November
2000 Robert Smith November
2003 Daunte Culpepper September
2004 Daunte Culpepper October
2009 Brett Favre November
2012 Adrian Peterson December
2015 Adrian Peterson November
2017 Case Keenum November

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:31 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:32 pm
Fenrir

808vikingsfan wrote:
Grashopa wrote:

1997 Jake Reed September

Surprised Moss never won.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:45 pm
All Pro Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:
Grashopa wrote:

1997 Jake Reed September

It was a fun ride, no doubt, but it still weirds me out to see Brett's name up there. Probably should read it with Rod Serling's voice.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:11 am
Hall of Famer

I dont like seeing his name up there at all.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next