It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by autobon7 »

mansquatch wrote:Who our QB will be in 2018 is going to make for a very interesting March. At this point four names are in the hat to varying degrees:

Cousins
Bradford
Keenum
Bridgewater

All have their positives and negatives. If he is Healthy, Bradford is the best QB of the lot. TB is a complete wildcard. In both of these cases there is a huge issue of health and longevity. Bradford might never play another snap. Just how healthy is Teddy?

Cousins would be a great get IMO, but will he come here or will he even be available? WSH might just franchise him again. Too much unknown.

Last, but not least is Keenum. The guy is playing out of his mind right now. Will that continue? Can it? Or will he regress to his mean?

One major positive is that right now, this might be the most desirable landing spot for a QB of any age. We have a nearly complete roster and a VERY competent coaching staff. You could do a lot worse if you are a free agent. This is what makes me think we have a shot at Cousins.

All of this is plagued by uncertainty which at least for me, makes it not really worth talking about. We are in December of our best season since 2009. I'm going to enjoy that before i worry about 2018.
I would like to add a little twist to these possible equations. I have heard on multiple different shows that Shurmurs name is popping up all around the league as 2018 head coach possibility. Will worry about that when the time comes but thought it was worthy of a mention.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

720pete wrote: Doesn't Spielman make those decisions?
Yeah ultimately it's Spielman's call, with the aid of Zimmer, Shurmur, Brez, etc.

Spielman sets the roster, Zimmer sets the starters. That's a bit over simplified because there are obviously input from one another that go into it, but ultimately that's how it shakes out.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

autobon7 wrote: I would like to add a little twist to these possible equations. I have heard on multiple different shows that Shurmurs name is popping up all around the league as 2018 head coach possibility. Will worry about that when the time comes but thought it was worthy of a mention.
I hope they are able to retain him. I believe having coordinator continuity is a tremendous asset.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

autobon7 wrote: I would like to add a little twist to these possible equations. I have heard on multiple different shows that Shurmurs name is popping up all around the league as 2018 head coach possibility. Will worry about that when the time comes but thought it was worthy of a mention.
That plays directly into a lengthy post I'm too lazy to write the jist of which is I worry that if we extend Case and Shurmer leaves he'd revert back to the Case he's been throughout his career.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: That plays directly into a lengthy post I'm too lazy to write the jist of which is I worry that if we extend Case and Shurmer leaves he'd revert back to the Case he's been throughout his career.
I agree DP. I don't think Shurmur will be going anywhere just yet, though.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: That plays directly into a lengthy post I'm too lazy to write the jist of which is I worry that if we extend Case and Shurmer leaves he'd revert back to the Case he's been throughout his career.
Keenum doesn't become a free agent until March. Chances are very good that if Shurmur is hired as a head coach, he'll be gone before then. In that case, I highly doubt that the Vikings would re-sign Case, especially given Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.

Of course, if Case leads the Vikings to a win in the Super Bowl, all bets are off. There will be enormous pressure to re-sign him. But you know, I'd trade a mistake with Case Keenum long-term for a Lombardi trophy now. All day long.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Keenum doesn't become a free agent until March. Chances are very good that if Shurmur is hired as a head coach, he'll be gone before then. In that case, I highly doubt that the Vikings would re-sign Case, especially given Mike Zimmer's love for Teddy Bridgewater.

Of course, if Case leads the Vikings to a win in the Super Bowl, all bets are off. There will be enormous pressure to re-sign him. But you know, I'd trade a mistake with Case Keenum long-term for a Lombardi trophy now. All day long.
I agree with everything both of you said.

i still want teddy tho
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

It would suck if Shurmur leaves before Teddy gets a chance to play for him. Case owes A LOT of his success to Pat. If the Case bubble bursts, there are going to be a lot of people wishing Teddy had been given some games to play before the playoffs. But then, maybe it really is Case's time. And its a hard call to make, changing QBs when you are winning. It would be typical Vikings luck though.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I'm betting if Shurmur moves to an HC job that Tony Sparano gets moved up to OC. He's done a great job with that offensive line but I don't know how I'd feel about that.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Apparently, Case Keenum is the NFC Offensive Player of the Month for Novemeber.
That coupled with the raucous ovation he received recently at a T-Wolves game shows that he is really starting to get some love.
Formerly AADPFan
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Grashopa wrote:Apparently, Case Keenum is the NFC Offensive Player of the Month for Novemeber.
That coupled with the raucous ovation he received recently at a T-Wolves game shows that he is really starting to get some love.

VIKINGS NAMED NFC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE MONTH
1995 Warren Moon November
1997 Jake Reed September
1998 Randall Cunningham October
1999 Cris Carter November
2000 Robert Smith November
2003 Daunte Culpepper September
2004 Daunte Culpepper October
2009 Brett Favre November
2012 Adrian Peterson December
2015 Adrian Peterson November
2017 Case Keenum November
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

808vikingsfan wrote:
1997 Jake Reed September
Surprised Moss never won.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

808vikingsfan wrote:
1997 Jake Reed September
It was a fun ride, no doubt, but it still weirds me out to see Brett's name up there. Probably should read it with Rod Serling's voice.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont like seeing his name up there at all.