It's time to give Case Keenum his due

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player
Posts: 2370
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Location: Seattle, Wa

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by PacificNorseWest » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:41 pm

I’m not in on the Alex Smith idea. He’s the checkdown master and will become frustrating very quickly. I don’t think a team is going to offer Keenum insane money though.

He might go elsewhere if he feels the Vikings are lowballing him, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he gets the money he wants from another team.

User avatar
Raz
Starter
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by Raz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:57 am

I would rather have Case stay here out of all the qbs listed. He seems to have the it factor not one thing inpaticular but wins games.

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by Maelstrom88 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Great video I came across today. Case Keenum has guts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 6CgiqI5QJA

Also found it amusing how Sean Payton's suspension was on the ticker. Also Bradford is on the tv over Gruden's shoulder about 12 minutes in. I think Case likes people doubting him and will show he's for real this Sunday.
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5723
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by VikingLord » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I'm not saying Keenum is the next Drew Brees. But their paths are similar. Brees was in a situation in San Diego where he wasn't really flourishing. Then he went to New Orleans, got with the right coach, and made a career for himself. Case was in bad situations with the Texans and Rams, and now he's in a good situation in Minnesota. Both are somewhat undersized. Neither has a cannon, but both are leaders. Again, I'm not saying Case Keenum is a Hall-of-Famer. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him move forward with the confidence of this year to forge a nice career for himself. And if he does, I'd rather it be as a Viking than with some team that might beat the Vikings.
I think what is also forgotten with Keenum is that he had a lot of success in college. IIRC, many pundits said he would have been a clear 1st round pick if he were just 2 inches taller. Which is just a silly thing to think about. In college, playing at the top level, he dominated - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Keenum#NCAA_records

While I don't know if he will be the next Drew Brees, he has shown he can make plays and play the position at multiple levels. Maybe he didn't light the NFL on fire early in his career, but as you point out, sometimes the right guy with the right team at the right time can make all the difference (if that rings a faint bell with anyone, you're probably a fan of Half Life 2...).

Rise and shine, Mr. Keenum... Rise, and shine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HBwxbWVb-M

Somehow seems appropriate here with us, the long suffering Vikings fans, being the GMan...

User avatar
Rhodes Closed
Starter
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Location: Sleepy Eye, Minnesota

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by Rhodes Closed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm

Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6918
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Rhodes Closed wrote:Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.
ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
dead_poet
Commissioner
Posts: 24451
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Des Moines, Iowa

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by dead_poet » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote: ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.
Yes, but at least that way the Vikings wouldn't be in a great position to proactively make the "wrong" decision.

Man, this QB situation is bananas.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly

User avatar
VikingLord
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5723
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:12 pm
Location: The Great White North

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by VikingLord » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am

Rhodes Closed wrote:Nice HL2 reference VL; you play the original as well as its expansions?

I think Keenum has all the skills to carve out a great career for himself, and I definitely hope we can keep him.
Thanks. I played them all. Valve did such a fantastic job with not just the games, but developing the story. I am still struggling with the fact that there will be no HL3 and no conclusion to the story.

User avatar
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3358
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by 808vikingsfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Last offseason, the Vikings were looking to replace Shaun Hill as the backup quarterback to Sam Bradford. They wanted a veteran who was in the sweet spot between young enough and cheap enough. There weren't many options.

They studied Keenum's performance with the Rams and focused on the positives. He won four games with a bad team. He had an outstanding performance against the Lions. His teammates made him a captain.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman talked himself into making Keenum a one-year, $2 million offer.

Through offseason workouts and training camp, the Vikings weren't sure whether Keenum would beat out fellow backup Taylor Heinicke. As Keenum was throwing interceptions in camp, it became fair to wonder if he would be any different in his fifth pro offense than he was in his first four. Even after Keenum had a decent preseason, no one felt confident in his ability to win games if he had to play.
How Case Keenum Went from Unwanted Free Agent to Leader of the NFC Favorites
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 am

I read this article yesterday. Excellent read. How do you not love Keenum after reading that?
Image

User avatar
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer
Posts: 6918
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by J. Kapp 11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:52 am

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I read this article yesterday. Excellent read. How do you not love Keenum after reading that?
Truly is a good read and a great story.

What kills me is that the national media pay no attention to this part of it. Oh sure, they talk about the fact that he was undrafted, but mostly they keep asking, "Do you really trust Case Keenum?" The answer ought to be, and precisely BECAUSE of his story. They ought to be talking about how nobody wanted him, even when he was coming out of high school. How he bonds with his teammates. How beats everybody to the facility every morning, even his coaches. How he's developed this almost telekinetic relationship with Adam Thielen, another unwanted, undrafted player who made himself great. How even Teddy Bridgewater, his chief competition for both playing time and fan loyalty, loves and respects him.

They all romanticize the fact that Tom Brady was a 6th-round draft choice, but at least Brady was drafted, AND he was recruited by Michigan, a college superpower. Almost nobody wanted Keenum.

My hope is that the Vikings make the Super Bowl, and during the endless lead-up stories that come out, the national media finally realize what this man has done to make himself into an excellent player. Maybe NBC could do a piece about both him and Thielen.
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.

User avatar
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by 720pete » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
What kills me is that the national media pay no attention to this part of it. Oh sure, they talk about the fact that he was undrafted, but mostly they keep asking, "Do you really trust Case Keenum?" The answer ought to be, and precisely BECAUSE of his story. They ought to be talking about how nobody wanted him, even when he was coming out of high school. How he bonds with his teammates. How beats everybody to the facility every morning, even his coaches. How he's developed this almost telekinetic relationship with Adam Thielen, another unwanted, undrafted player who made himself great. How even Teddy Bridgewater, his chief competition for both playing time and fan loyalty, loves and respects him.

They all romanticize the fact that Tom Brady was a 6th-round draft choice, but at least Brady was drafted, AND he was recruited by Michigan, a college superpower. Almost nobody wanted Keenum.

My hope is that the Vikings make the Super Bowl, and during the endless lead-up stories that come out, the national media finally realize what this man has done to make himself into an excellent player. Maybe NBC could do a piece about both him and Thielen.
I'm not saying you're wrong. In fact, you are very spot on, but I think the media has a Nick Foles hangover and won't give Keenum his due unless he wins the superbowl.

User avatar
w_huisman
Transition Player
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am

Re: It's time to give Case Keenum his due

Post by w_huisman » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm

J. Kapp 11 wrote: ESPN is reporting from "league sources" that if Shurmur gets hired as a head coach by a team that needs a QB, he might take Keenum with him.

That would pretty much suck.
Keenum isn't a pair of socks. Shurmur cant just stuff him a suitcase and take him with. Maybe he'll take Bradford? Who knows at this point? It's all speculation and conjecture.

Post Reply