WEEK 12: Minnesota Vikings @ Detroit Lions Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Minnesota vs. Carolina

Post by cstelter »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I don't think Carolina stands a chance. Minnesota usually dominates against Cam Newton and this is their best unit yet. Their defense may present some problems, but I really don't see how the Panthers put up many points at all. If the Panthers win, then Olsen cheated. :lol:
Last week I had posted how we could still lose a 1st round bye at 13-3 if CAR went 5-0 in the final 5, and we lost our one game to CAR. With CAR adding another loss to an NFC team, we now have a 2 game lead over them before we worry about tie breakers.

Still, if we lose to them, that drops to a 1 game lead meaning all it takes is a loss to GB with CAR going 3-0 their final 3 and they would hold any tie breakers over us should that be enough for them to win the south. This is a must win for the HFA run. Plus it's also for bragging rights for having swept the south.

I don't care if it's by only 1 point-- as long as it is a 'W'.
Craig S
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: WEEK 14: Minnesota Vikings @ Carolina Panthers Discussio

Post by Cliff »

Game Preview
The Minnesota Vikings (10-2) will travel to face the Carolina Panthers (8-4) in Week 14, the 3rd of 3 straight road games for Minnesota. The Vikings own a 5-1 road record while the Panthers hold a 3-2 mark at home in 2017. The Vikings 10-2 start is the best start through 12 games for Minnesota since starting 10-2 in 2009. The Vikings, who have won 5 consecutive road games for the 1st time since 1974, currently have an 8-game winning streak, tied with New England for the longest streak in the NFL.

The Vikings offense, which ranks 5th in the NFL in yards per game (370.4), has been led by the consistent play from WR Adam Thielen, who is 4th in the NFL with 1,056 receiving yards and 7th in the NFL with 74 receptions. QB Case Keenum has stepped in to start 10 games, posting a 8-2 record and compiling 16 TDs, 5 INTs and a career-best 98.6 passer rating, the 8th-best mark in the NFL. RBs Jerick McKinnon and Latavius Murray have filled the void left by rookie starter RB Dalvin Cook helping the Vikings rush for 122.8 yards per game, 6th in the NFL. In the last 6 games, Murray has rushed for 475 yards (3rd in the NFL) and 5 TDs (tied for 3rd in the NFL).

The Vikings defense has held opponents to 289.1 yards per game (2nd in the NFL) and 17.0 points per game (2nd in the NFL). The Vikings defense has limited opponents to 77.7 rushing yards per game (2nd in the NFL) and 3.4 yards per rush (3rd in the NFL).

DE Everson Griffen is 4th in the NFL with 12.0 sacks this season, the 3rd time in his career he has reached double digits (12.0 in 2014, 10.5 in 2015). LB Eric Kendricks, who has led the Vikings in tackles each of his 1st 2 seasons, is leading the Vikings with 108 tackles (coach stats) and has tied his career high with 13 tackles on 3 separate occasions this season (at PIT, vs BAL, at CLE). S Harrison Smith, who has 15 INTs and 9 sacks since entering the NFL in 2012, is joined by this week's opponent, Panthers LB Luke Kuechly, as the only 2 in the NFL since 2012 to have 11+ INTs and 7+ sacks.
VIKINGS-PANTHERS CONNECTIONS
  • Panthers assistant DBs/nickels coach Jeff Imamura coached for the Vikings from 2006-13, serving as the defensive assistant/LBs coach from 2006-11 and the assistant secondary/safeties coach from 2012-13.
  • Panthers CB Captain Munnerlyn played for the Vikings from 2014-16 appearing in 47 games and making 30 starts.
  • Vikings C Joe Berger was drafted by the Panthers in the 6th round of the 2005 NFL Draft. Berger spent the 2005 training camp with the Panthers before being signed to their practice squad. Berger was signed off the Panthers practice squad by Miami during Week 1 of the 2005 season.
  • Panthers S Kurt Coleman spent the 2015 offseason with the Vikings before being released during final cuts.
  • Panthers T Matt Kalil was a 1st-round selection by Minnesota and played for the Vikings from 2012-16, starting all 66 games in which he appeared. Kalil was named the the Pro Bowl following his rookie campaign in 2012.
  • Vikings T Mike Remmers played for the Panthers from 2014-16, starting all 37 regular-season games he appeared in with the club and starting all 5 playoff contests, including Super Bowl 50.
  • Vikings assistant DL Coach Robert Rodriguez was on the Panthers practice squad in 2005.
  • Panthers assistant WRs Coach Cameron Turner spent time with the Vikings, serving as the assistant to the head coach from 2011-12.
  • Panthers assistant special teams coach Chase Blackburn played for the New York Giants in 2005 under Vikings special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, who was the
  • Giants assistant special teams coach. Under the tutelage of Priefer, Blackburn led the Giants in special teams tackles that season.
  • Panthers WR Charles Johnson, who is currently on IR, played for the Vikings from 2014-16.
  • Panthers DE Zach Moore played for the Vikings in 2015, spending time on the club's practice squad before before joining the 53-man roster for the final 3 games and NFC Wild Card game. Moore spent the 2016 offseason and training camp with Minnesota before being released during final cuts.
  • Panthers G David Yankey, who is currently on IR, was drafted by the Vikings in the 5th round of the 2014 NFL Draft and played for the club from 2014-15, spending all the 2015 season on the practice squad.
A WIN WOULD...
  • Be the best start to a season through 13 games since Mike Zimmer took over in 2014 and the best start for the franchise since starting 11-2 in 2009.
  • Move Zimmer’s record as a head coach to 37-25 and give him his 3rd win against the Panthers in his 3rd game vs. the franchise.
  • Would be 9th straight win for the Vikings, the longest streak win streak for the team under Zimmer (8 games from 12/20/15-10/9/16).
  • Be the Vikings 6th consecutive road win, the most in team history in a single season.
Cliff
Site Admin

Re: WEEK 14: Minnesota Vikings @ Panthers Discussion

Post by Cliff »

petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Guys, Everson Griffen will be going up against Matt Kalil. [emoji33]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
If their practices are any indication, and if Kalil doesn't have help, it's going to be a long day for him.

Going to be a fun game to watch. Zim's defense has always have problems with running QBs. If the Panthers don't force Cam to be a pocket passer and just allow him to run and around create, the Vikings may be in big trouble.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I do not mean to dismiss a game, but Cam's stats vs the Zimmer era Vikings are AWFUL. I think he has 4 INT is his two games and only one TD. This time could be different, but I doubt it. Expect Diggs and Thielen to make life miserable for a weak secondary.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

There are two aspects IMO. Urgency for a win, and likelihood of a win. I honestly no longer care much about likelihood-- only urgency. At this point in the season, it should be all about HFA, so regardless of how likely a win is, I'm not comfortable with this game until we have a 'W'. A 'W' is our ticket to the playoffs, and it's ours for the taking *this game*. A 'W' is also another NFC win which would either keep pace with PHI, or put us one up on them should they fall to the Rams.

It's "any given Sunday", and this team as left our hearts scared an battered too many times.

I will say this though-- I like what I hear from the players and Zim-- I don't believe for a minute that the team is buying into the likelihood of any outcome. Rather they play the game and are up for the fight and will deal with any adversity in a strong competitive way. They don't strike me as a team that is planning for "best case scenario" but rather any and all adversity that comes their way. That's a plan I like.
Craig S
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Can't take this game lightly, they beat Atlanta at home. Hopefully past success carries over to this game.
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

Honestly, I can't think of any position that they are better than us besides their LBs and normally TE (if healthy). Olsen is a bit better than Rudolph, but he's also been injured all season so who knows how good he'll be assuming he plays. Keenum has definitely outperformed Cam this year as Cam's been turning it over quite a bit (11 ints and 6 fumbles).
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I know their LB get more press than ours, but are they really better? Barr / Kendricks are rather elite. One of the hallmarks of our D is the fact that it has playmakers at every level. At LB those playmakers are Barr and Kendricks.
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

mansquatch wrote:I know their LB get more press than ours, but are they really better? Barr / Kendricks are rather elite. One of the hallmarks of our D is the fact that it has playmakers at every level. At LB those playmakers are Barr and Kendricks.
Although Davis isn't quite as good as he used to be, I'd still definitely take Kuechly/Davis over Barr/Kendricks.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

NCViking wrote: Although Davis isn't quite as good as he used to be, I'd still definitely take Kuechly/Davis over Barr/Kendricks.
What?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
NCViking
Backup

Post by NCViking »

PurpleMustReign wrote:What?

Thomas Davis isn't as good as he was a few years ago, but he is still better than any of our OLBs. Keuchly, meanwhile, is probably the best MLB in the game right now.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

In the Panther scheme sure, but our guys are aces at our scheme, which includes disguise as well as playing coverage as needed. Last week we shut down Carolinas passing game, which includes throws to backs. That is a big deal. This year the Patriots Offense has basically cut its bread by throwing to Gronk and it's stable of running backs.

Barr and Kendricks for me, no hesitation.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I think we should win this game, if we contain Cam. And that scares me, cause im usually quite pessimistic about games like this.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

TV Map. Re subscribed to digital cable just in time.

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2017&wk=14
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014