Zimmer knows.....

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Zimmer knows.....

Post by VikingLord »

Norv Zimmer wrote: I think that this is a career decision for Zimmer, if TB comes in and plays good Zim is a genius. If TB comes in and plays terrible people will be calling for his head.
Bingo, which is why he can't afford to take the risk of changing up starting QBs at this point in the season. If the Vikes were sucking and out of the mix I'm sure Bridgewater would go in, but as it stands Zimmer has way too much to lose if he switches up the QB position right now.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Zimmer announced it's Case
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

dead_poet wrote:Zimmer announced it's Case
So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PsyDanny wrote: So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?
Competitive advantage?

I think there was a 50-50 chance Teddy would have started this one a few weeks ago. Zimmer himself has said he's "had a plan." I'm guessing Case's play altered that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

PsyDanny wrote: So why the drama? Any reason to think he was actually contemplating Teddy then changed his mind?
I think he just wanted to keep the Rams guessing for as long as possible.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote: Competitive advantage?

I think there was a 50-50 chance Teddy would have started this one a few weeks ago. Zimmer himself has said he's "had a plan." I'm guessing Case's play altered that.
I agree. It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?
Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote: Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.
Agreed. He'd have to have a pretty terrible first half. But if the Vikings find themselves down by two or more scores going into halftime with Case having stalled the offense or had a turnover or two it's conceivable Zimmer gives Teddy a shot to try and get a boost in production.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: Am I wrong or is this Wade Phillips' first year in Los Angeles? Another poster was asking if the Broncos had a coaching change this year and I have NO idea why they moved on from Wade, who, IMO, is a top-3 DC. Meanwhile, Denver's defense is collapsing.
Yep Wade moved.
Wade has always done a good job as defensive coordinator . So Rams D is going to be tough.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingLord wrote: Case would have to do something that costs them the game I'd think for Zimmer to consider making a change. If Case throws 4 INTs and 5 TDs and they win, he's going to be starting. I don't think he is on a short leash.
I think this week and next week Case will be starting QB, 2 really important games.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

PurpleMustReign wrote:It will be interesting how quick the string will be pulled on Case though, if he throws an INT on his third throw, will that do it?
I'm wondering if his plan is to get Teddy into the game for a series, at home, at some point. That's the kind of thing that would require a team meeting to make sure everyone knew what was happening and why. I know this type of thing "isn't done" in the NFL, but you often take out your stud RB or WR for a breather or a series - why not do the same with the QB position?
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

See thats what tough. I said this about Blair Walsh last year. I said when he was missing all those FGs and XPs, "I swear Zimmer is waiting for Walsh to lose us a game" and sure enough, he lost us that Detroit game due to his missed XP. If he made it, Detroit would have had to drive 80 yards and score a TD but instead they had to drive 40 yards to make a FG and bring it to OT.

Why wait for someone to lose us a game. At the same time, I cant blame him because Case is playing well but at the same time, he makes me very nervous because he tends to make a lot of dumb throws. And at the same time, we have no idea how Teddy will play. I thought this was the best game to have Teddy start because it was home and with the crowd alone, we would have so much momentum going before the game even starts. I hope he's making the right decision. I sure dont want Teddy's first bit of action be in the playoffs
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

VikingLord wrote: Why wait for someone to lose us a game.
I won't pretend to know what is in Zimmer's mind, but I personally see some wisdom in giving a person the opportunity to succeed. If they do, both the player and the organization grow and improve. I like to think Zimmer is building a culture. Inspiring players despite poor play could well be a part of that. Eventually you have to let problematic parts of team go and replace them with better parts, but the very act of the timing of such a decision affects not only the short-term health of the team, but the long term culture of the team as well. I find it hard to imagine a lot of winning attitude if every player feels like they are one mistake from being replaced. OTOH, playing with confidence that a mistake is to be overcome with an even more exceptional positive play and you will be given an opportunity to do that is a winning culture IMO. The SEA playoff miss was such a mistake for Walsh. He was given an opportunity to overcome, but finally had to be released for the good of the team. But think of the upside if he *had* made it, regained form and carried on. Perhaps Zimmer thought *that* was something worth the risk.

Not at all sure if that spin is in any way shape or form related to reality, but I kind of like to think it might be.
Craig S
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: See thats what tough. I said this about Blair Walsh last year. I said when he was missing all those FGs and XPs, "I swear Zimmer is waiting for Walsh to lose us a game" and sure enough, he lost us that Detroit game due to his missed XP. If he made it, Detroit would have had to drive 80 yards and score a TD but instead they had to drive 40 yards to make a FG and bring it to OT.

Why wait for someone to lose us a game. At the same time, I cant blame him because Case is playing well but at the same time, he makes me very nervous because he tends to make a lot of dumb throws. And at the same time, we have no idea how Teddy will play. I thought this was the best game to have Teddy start because it was home and with the crowd alone, we would have so much momentum going before the game even starts. I hope he's making the right decision. I sure dont want Teddy's first bit of action be in the playoffs
Maybe the Vikes can have the best of both worlds - just get way ahead by the start of the 4th and then Bridgewater can come out and play without any pressure in front of fans who would go wild to see him out there... :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Cris Carter knows...

Zachary Banning‏ @zachbanning

Cris Carter: "I've talked to people in Minnesota, Teddy will be playing in a couple weeks."
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014