10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...

Post by 808vikingsfan »

0 — Number of 100-yard rusher or receivers allowed by Minnesota’s defense through the first half of the season; Detroit’s Ameer Abdullah had the highest rushing total (94 yards in Week 4) and Pittsburgh’s Martavis Bryant (91 yards) had the highest receiving total.

960 — Total rushing yards for the Vikings offense this season, which ranks eighth overall in the NFL; Minnesota had 1,205 total rushing yards in 2016.

The rest:

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed 100-Yard Rusher or Receiver

Just looked it up. Vikings are 13th in rushing (not 9th) at 120 yds/game. Last year at this time, the Vikings were averaging 71.2 yds/game
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Nice. Let's keep it up boys!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

808vikingsfan wrote:0 — Number of 100-yard rusher or receivers allowed by Minnesota’s defense through the first half of the season; Detroit’s Ameer Abdullah had the highest rushing total (94 yards in Week 4) and Pittsburgh’s Martavis Bryant (91 yards) had the highest receiving total.

960 — Total rushing yards for the Vikings offense this season, which ranks eighth overall in the NFL; Minnesota had 1,205 total rushing yards in 2016.

The rest:

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed 100-Yard Rusher or Receiver

Just looked it up. Vikings are 13th in rushing (not 9th) at 120 yds/game. Last year at this time, the Vikings were averaging 71.2 yds/game
Leave it to vikings.com to spin the stats.

The article lists their rank in rushing YARDS, not yards per game. Since half the league has only played 7 games, that spins the stat positively for the Vikings.

In spite of that, I'll take 50 yards per game more than last year. Many of us said that if the Vikings could just be average on offense, they'd be a contender with that defense. Seems to be the case. We're actually a little better than average.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Those numbers for the defense are pretty impressive. I dont think there is any question now that this defense is definitely elite. We do always seem to have our "dud" game. It happened 2 years ago vs. Seattle in the regular season and last year vs. Indy. That hasnt happened this year so I'm a little nervous about that. However, this defense is no joke. This is 100% a Superbowl defense. This is going to put a lot of weight on the offenses shoulders. If they can perform, this is a SB team. How we play throughout this string of road games is going to be a big tell.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

This next 3-4 weeks should tell us everything
about this team.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Leave it to vikings.com to spin the stats.

The article lists their rank in rushing YARDS, not yards per game. Since half the league has only played 7 games, that spins the stat positively for the Vikings.

In spite of that, I'll take 50 yards per game more than last year. Many of us said that if the Vikings could just be average on offense, they'd be a contender with that defense. Seems to be the case. We're actually a little better than average.
Well, one week later (sans Packers/Det), they are now ranked 9th in rushing Yds/Game (8.4 ahead of GB and ~38 ahead of Detroit). Maybe they were just looking forward ;-). http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... rdsPerGame

I suppose that could change if GB rushes for > 249 yards, but worst case we end up 10th in Yards/Game after this week.

Regardless of which offensive stat you choose on that page, the Vikings are between 9th and 15th. Across the board, I'd say we do qualify as slightly above average. OTOH the total defense stats page (http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense) has us between 3rd and 7th in every categry.

Huh-- it's not an easy search-- but manually trying to check, I can't find another team whose worst ranking on any of those column offense/defense combined is better than 15th. That is, regardless of which column I sort by espn's "Total Offense" *or* "Total Defense", the worst ranking I can find for the Vikings is 15th (Total Passing Yards).

Looking for "good teams", I found these counter examples
New England is at 16th for rush yds/game
Dallas is at 16th for Passing Yds/Game allowed
Pittsburgh is 17th for rushing yds/game
LA Rams are 16th in total Yds/G
Jacksonville is 26th in rush Yds/Game

Can anyone spot a team with a better worst-ranking than the Vikings?

Maybe I overlooked a team, but if not, Vikes have this obscure stat for the best worst-ranked total offense/defense team. I'll take it!
Craig S
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The problem is we haven't made a statement win yet. If we had beat PIT we'd be the talk of the NFC. This isn't that surprising either. National Media is all about the cult of the QB and the Vikings starter is Case Keenum. We are the least sexy 6-2 team.

That is why the next few games are such a big deal.

Beating WSH will tell us fans a lot about this team as WSH is a strong club, probably top 10 team in the NFC. Beating the Rams, who IMO are not as good as WSH, but are media darlings, will be the statement win in the media. Beating DET will help cement the division.

If we kick the snot out of CAR and ATL then we'll be in the same conversation as PHI. We'd also be 11-2. That is hard to ignore.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I will take a quiet win streak any day.

Hopefully, right before the post season
we get Sam back and have four or five
steam roller victories into February.

A 20 point average victory margin through
The playoffs and a home Super Bowl victory
would be a great Christmas present.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mansquatch wrote:The problem is we haven't made a statement win yet. If we had beat PIT we'd be the talk of the NFC. This isn't that surprising either. National Media is all about the cult of the QB and the Vikings starter is Case Keenum. We are the least sexy 6-2 team.

That is why the next few games are such a big deal.

Beating WSH will tell us fans a lot about this team as WSH is a strong club, probably top 10 team in the NFC. Beating the Rams, who IMO are not as good as WSH, but are media darlings, will be the statement win in the media. Beating DET will help cement the division.

If we kick the snot out of CAR and ATL then we'll be in the same conversation as PHI. We'd also be 11-2. That is hard to ignore.
Why isn't beating the Saints a statement win? They look pretty solid. I understand and agree with your overall sentiment, just curious why that win (and it was a rather decisive win at that) is getting looked over.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Sam Bradford was the QB vs. NO, that is my guess for why it doesn't count.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the media sentiment towards our club is right, more this is my view of WHY it is the way it is.

Every win we've had other than NO has been against a dysfunctional team with a losing record. I know GB has a winning record, but GB without Aaron Rogers is a far cry from the squad that was 4-2. We lost 2 of the 3 games we played against winning clubs and the one we won, NO, was with our starting QB.

If we want respect: We need to prove it and beat a stronger team. The first chance is on Sunday.

I might be out to lunch, but I think WSH on the road will be a bigger win than LAR at home. That is certainly debatable, but WSH has beat legitimate teams (including LAR) while LAR have feasted on an easy schedule outside of the DAL win. PHI has had a much more convincing run, but their schedule also gets harder in the 2nd half.

We should know a lot by Dec 1st.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

More stats...

9th in total sacks, 5th in sack yards
24 sacks, 10 allowed on offense, 14 sack differential. Nice stuff!

We are still poor at interceptions and forcing fumbles and recovering fumbles. Other than that we are top 10 in almost everything except completion percentage allowed (62 percent, 13th).

The Vikings are seventh in passing yards allowed per game (201), 4th in passing yards per attempt (6.4), 5th in passing touchdowns allowed (only 9 in 8 games!), 2nd in total rushing yards allowed (651 in 8 games!), 3rd in yards per attempt allowed (3.5), top 5 in long rushes allowed (longest rush allowed is 29 yards), 3rd in yards per game (81).

Our special teams D is great, too. We have only given up 43 yards on punt returns in 8 games. 43 yards!
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Hunter Morrow wrote:More stats...

9th in total sacks, 5th in sack yards
24 sacks, 10 allowed on offense, 14 sack differential. Nice stuff!

We are still poor at interceptions and forcing fumbles and recovering fumbles. Other than that we are top 10 in almost everything except completion percentage allowed (62 percent, 13th).

The Vikings are seventh in passing yards allowed per game (201), 4th in passing yards per attempt (6.4), 5th in passing touchdowns allowed (only 9 in 8 games!), 2nd in total rushing yards allowed (651 in 8 games!), 3rd in yards per attempt allowed (3.5), top 5 in long rushes allowed (longest rush allowed is 29 yards), 3rd in yards per game (81).

Our special teams D is great, too. We have only given up 43 yards on punt returns in 8 games. 43 yards!
Wasn't like 25 of those yards on one return in Chicago?

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Wasn't like 25 of those yards on one return in Chicago?

Also, I think 4 sacks was on Bradford during the CHI game. You can't really count those. I mean you can but
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

808vikingsfan wrote:Also, I think 4 sacks was on Bradford during the CHI game. You can't really count those. I mean you can but
The last one especially where he would have been safe with one step to the left, but instead he had no choice but to stick out his arm and crumple under his own lineman. I don't think I'm alone in saying that is when I KNEW he had to get out of the game.