View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:18 am



Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ... 
Author Message
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2542
Location: Hawaii
Post 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
0 — Number of 100-yard rusher or receivers allowed by Minnesota’s defense through the first half of the season; Detroit’s Ameer Abdullah had the highest rushing total (94 yards in Week 4) and Pittsburgh’s Martavis Bryant (91 yards) had the highest receiving total.


960 — Total rushing yards for the Vikings offense this season, which ranks eighth overall in the NFL; Minnesota had 1,205 total rushing yards in 2016.

The rest:

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed 100-Yard Rusher or Receiver

Just looked it up. Vikings are 13th in rushing (not 9th) at 120 yds/game. Last year at this time, the Vikings were averaging 71.2 yds/game

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:58 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17672
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
Nice. Let's keep it up boys!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6465
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
808vikingsfan wrote:
0 — Number of 100-yard rusher or receivers allowed by Minnesota’s defense through the first half of the season; Detroit’s Ameer Abdullah had the highest rushing total (94 yards in Week 4) and Pittsburgh’s Martavis Bryant (91 yards) had the highest receiving total.


960 — Total rushing yards for the Vikings offense this season, which ranks eighth overall in the NFL; Minnesota had 1,205 total rushing yards in 2016.

The rest:

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed 100-Yard Rusher or Receiver

Just looked it up. Vikings are 13th in rushing (not 9th) at 120 yds/game. Last year at this time, the Vikings were averaging 71.2 yds/game

Leave it to vikings.com to spin the stats.

The article lists their rank in rushing YARDS, not yards per game. Since half the league has only played 7 games, that spins the stat positively for the Vikings.

In spite of that, I'll take 50 yards per game more than last year. Many of us said that if the Vikings could just be average on offense, they'd be a contender with that defense. Seems to be the case. We're actually a little better than average.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:51 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
Those numbers for the defense are pretty impressive. I dont think there is any question now that this defense is definitely elite. We do always seem to have our "dud" game. It happened 2 years ago vs. Seattle in the regular season and last year vs. Indy. That hasnt happened this year so I'm a little nervous about that. However, this defense is no joke. This is 100% a Superbowl defense. This is going to put a lot of weight on the offenses shoulders. If they can perform, this is a SB team. How we play throughout this string of road games is going to be a big tell.

_________________
Image


Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11373
Location: California
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
This next 3-4 weeks should tell us everything
about this team.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:57 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 9:08 pm
Posts: 772
Location: Training Camp Central
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
0 — Number of 100-yard rusher or receivers allowed by Minnesota’s defense through the first half of the season; Detroit’s Ameer Abdullah had the highest rushing total (94 yards in Week 4) and Pittsburgh’s Martavis Bryant (91 yards) had the highest receiving total.


960 — Total rushing yards for the Vikings offense this season, which ranks eighth overall in the NFL; Minnesota had 1,205 total rushing yards in 2016.

The rest:

10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed 100-Yard Rusher or Receiver

Just looked it up. Vikings are 13th in rushing (not 9th) at 120 yds/game. Last year at this time, the Vikings were averaging 71.2 yds/game

Leave it to vikings.com to spin the stats.

The article lists their rank in rushing YARDS, not yards per game. Since half the league has only played 7 games, that spins the stat positively for the Vikings.

In spite of that, I'll take 50 yards per game more than last year. Many of us said that if the Vikings could just be average on offense, they'd be a contender with that defense. Seems to be the case. We're actually a little better than average.


Well, one week later (sans Packers/Det), they are now ranked 9th in rushing Yds/Game (8.4 ahead of GB and ~38 ahead of Detroit). Maybe they were just looking forward ;-). http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... rdsPerGame

I suppose that could change if GB rushes for > 249 yards, but worst case we end up 10th in Yards/Game after this week.

Regardless of which offensive stat you choose on that page, the Vikings are between 9th and 15th. Across the board, I'd say we do qualify as slightly above average. OTOH the total defense stats page (http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team ... on/defense) has us between 3rd and 7th in every categry.

Huh-- it's not an easy search-- but manually trying to check, I can't find another team whose worst ranking on any of those column offense/defense combined is better than 15th. That is, regardless of which column I sort by espn's "Total Offense" *or* "Total Defense", the worst ranking I can find for the Vikings is 15th (Total Passing Yards).

Looking for "good teams", I found these counter examples
New England is at 16th for rush yds/game
Dallas is at 16th for Passing Yds/Game allowed
Pittsburgh is 17th for rushing yds/game
LA Rams are 16th in total Yds/G
Jacksonville is 26th in rush Yds/Game

Can anyone spot a team with a better worst-ranking than the Vikings?

Maybe I overlooked a team, but if not, Vikes have this obscure stat for the best worst-ranked total offense/defense team. I'll take it!

_________________
Craig S
Image


Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:20 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
The problem is we haven't made a statement win yet. If we had beat PIT we'd be the talk of the NFC. This isn't that surprising either. National Media is all about the cult of the QB and the Vikings starter is Case Keenum. We are the least sexy 6-2 team.

That is why the next few games are such a big deal.

Beating WSH will tell us fans a lot about this team as WSH is a strong club, probably top 10 team in the NFC. Beating the Rams, who IMO are not as good as WSH, but are media darlings, will be the statement win in the media. Beating DET will help cement the division.

If we kick the snot out of CAR and ATL then we'll be in the same conversation as PHI. We'd also be 11-2. That is hard to ignore.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11373
Location: California
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
I will take a quiet win streak any day.

Hopefully, right before the post season
we get Sam back and have four or five
steam roller victories into February.

A 20 point average victory margin through
The playoffs and a home Super Bowl victory
would be a great Christmas present.

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10590
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
mansquatch wrote:
The problem is we haven't made a statement win yet. If we had beat PIT we'd be the talk of the NFC. This isn't that surprising either. National Media is all about the cult of the QB and the Vikings starter is Case Keenum. We are the least sexy 6-2 team.

That is why the next few games are such a big deal.

Beating WSH will tell us fans a lot about this team as WSH is a strong club, probably top 10 team in the NFC. Beating the Rams, who IMO are not as good as WSH, but are media darlings, will be the statement win in the media. Beating DET will help cement the division.

If we kick the snot out of CAR and ATL then we'll be in the same conversation as PHI. We'd also be 11-2. That is hard to ignore.


Why isn't beating the Saints a statement win? They look pretty solid. I understand and agree with your overall sentiment, just curious why that win (and it was a rather decisive win at that) is getting looked over.


Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3259
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
Sam Bradford was the QB vs. NO, that is my guess for why it doesn't count.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the media sentiment towards our club is right, more this is my view of WHY it is the way it is.

Every win we've had other than NO has been against a dysfunctional team with a losing record. I know GB has a winning record, but GB without Aaron Rogers is a far cry from the squad that was 4-2. We lost 2 of the 3 games we played against winning clubs and the one we won, NO, was with our starting QB.

If we want respect: We need to prove it and beat a stronger team. The first chance is on Sunday.

I might be out to lunch, but I think WSH on the road will be a bigger win than LAR at home. That is certainly debatable, but WSH has beat legitimate teams (including LAR) while LAR have feasted on an easy schedule outside of the DAL win. PHI has had a much more convincing run, but their schedule also gets harder in the 2nd half.

We should know a lot by Dec 1st.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:03 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:56 am
Posts: 5623
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
More stats...

9th in total sacks, 5th in sack yards
24 sacks, 10 allowed on offense, 14 sack differential. Nice stuff!

We are still poor at interceptions and forcing fumbles and recovering fumbles. Other than that we are top 10 in almost everything except completion percentage allowed (62 percent, 13th).

The Vikings are seventh in passing yards allowed per game (201), 4th in passing yards per attempt (6.4), 5th in passing touchdowns allowed (only 9 in 8 games!), 2nd in total rushing yards allowed (651 in 8 games!), 3rd in yards per attempt allowed (3.5), top 5 in long rushes allowed (longest rush allowed is 29 yards), 3rd in yards per game (81).

Our special teams D is great, too. We have only given up 43 yards on punt returns in 8 games. 43 yards!


Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:16 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17672
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
Hunter Morrow wrote:
More stats...

9th in total sacks, 5th in sack yards
24 sacks, 10 allowed on offense, 14 sack differential. Nice stuff!

We are still poor at interceptions and forcing fumbles and recovering fumbles. Other than that we are top 10 in almost everything except completion percentage allowed (62 percent, 13th).

The Vikings are seventh in passing yards allowed per game (201), 4th in passing yards per attempt (6.4), 5th in passing touchdowns allowed (only 9 in 8 games!), 2nd in total rushing yards allowed (651 in 8 games!), 3rd in yards per attempt allowed (3.5), top 5 in long rushes allowed (longest rush allowed is 29 yards), 3rd in yards per game (81).

Our special teams D is great, too. We have only given up 43 yards on punt returns in 8 games. 43 yards!
Wasn't like 25 of those yards on one return in Chicago?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2542
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Hunter Morrow wrote:
More stats...

9th in total sacks, 5th in sack yards
24 sacks, 10 allowed on offense, 14 sack differential. Nice stuff!

We are still poor at interceptions and forcing fumbles and recovering fumbles. Other than that we are top 10 in almost everything except completion percentage allowed (62 percent, 13th).

The Vikings are seventh in passing yards allowed per game (201), 4th in passing yards per attempt (6.4), 5th in passing touchdowns allowed (only 9 in 8 games!), 2nd in total rushing yards allowed (651 in 8 games!), 3rd in yards per attempt allowed (3.5), top 5 in long rushes allowed (longest rush allowed is 29 yards), 3rd in yards per game (81).

Our special teams D is great, too. We have only given up 43 yards on punt returns in 8 games. 43 yards!
Wasn't like 25 of those yards on one return in Chicago?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


Also, I think 4 sacks was on Bradford during the CHI game. You can't really count those. I mean you can but

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:20 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2867
Location: Missouri
Post Re: 10 Vikings Numbers of Note: Defense Hasn't Allowed ...
808vikingsfan wrote:
Also, I think 4 sacks was on Bradford during the CHI game. You can't really count those. I mean you can but
The last one especially where he would have been safe with one step to the left, but instead he had no choice but to stick out his arm and crumple under his own lineman. I don't think I'm alone in saying that is when I KNEW he had to get out of the game.


Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rhodes Closed, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.