View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Five games for Division Championship 
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Five games for Division Championship
dead_poet wrote:
Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.

I agree. The good news is a lot of their cream puffs are on the road, so that makes the wins less of a guarantee. The Nov 19th game vs. Chicago is worth paying attention to. The Bears are not as terrible as they were last year and their defense is very well coached. If they can take advantage of the Lion's red zone woes, they might sneak a win which will help us out a lot.

The Thanksgiving game will be very important. If the Vikings can win that game that should put them in the driver's seat for the division. If the Bears drop them and we do the same that puts DET at 6 losses and out of the picture in terms of the NFCN and the playoff race.

The next three weeks for the Vikings are huge:
Don't let the Redskins' record fool you, their losses are to DAL, PHI x 2, and KC. They also beat the Rams in a road game. That is a significant game against a well coached team. The offense will need to deliver some plays to win this game.

LAR will be a statement game opportunity in terms of the national media, but the Rams lack a significant victory, their only signature win was vs. DAL on the road. Everyone else they've beaten is dysfunctional.

Lastly, we need to beat DET on Thanksgiving to stay in control of the division.

November is prove it month.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:45 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.

I agree. The good news is a lot of their cream puffs are on the road, so that makes the wins less of a guarantee. The Nov 19th game vs. Chicago is worth paying attention to. The Bears are not as terrible as they were last year and their defense is very well coached. If they can take advantage of the Lion's red zone woes, they might sneak a win which will help us out a lot.

The Thanksgiving game will be very important. If the Vikings can win that game that should put them in the driver's seat for the division. If the Bears drop them and we do the same that puts DET at 6 losses and out of the picture in terms of the NFCN and the playoff race.

The next three weeks for the Vikings are huge:
Don't let the Redskins' record fool you, their losses are to DAL, PHI x 2, and KC. They also beat the Rams in a road game. That is a significant game against a well coached team. The offense will need to deliver some plays to win this game.

LAR will be a statement game opportunity in terms of the national media, but the Rams lack a significant victory, their only signature win was vs. DAL on the road. Everyone else they've beaten is dysfunctional.

Lastly, we need to beat DET on Thanksgiving to stay in control of the division.

November is prove it month.

Good post. I can definitely see the Bears beating the Lions. I'm definitely rooting for Detroit to lose every game possible though I can tell you that. I really hope to god we beat them. We are cursed by them right now. Is it sad I was actually rooting for the Packers to win last night? :lol:

Washington scares me. We've lost the last two games there. They are a weird team. They either look really bad sometimes or really good.

I think our defense will give Goff fits. Their OL still isnt very strong although it is better than it has been in the past. They do have a good defense. They are a very similar team to us.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

I just can't resist sharing this:

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/11 ... f-packers/

Delicious. Everything I've been saying the past few years. Totally a one man show. Enjoy.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:08 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Raptorman wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
jackal wrote:

Mike McCarthy has coached exactly 8 games out of 184 without a first ballot Hall-of-Famer as his starting quarterback. His record in those games is 2-5-1.

Don't want to nit-pick but it's 11 games and he is 3-7-1 in those games.

Now 3-8-1

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:13 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

Raptorman wrote:
Now 3-8-1

I said last year when we went through all our injuries woes that GB was awful without Rodgers. Some fans tried to blame Spielman and so on but we lost some monster pieces and still finished 8-8. GB loses Aaron Rodgers and they are a bottom 10 team in the NFL. When you lose players that valuable you dont really recover too easily unless a miracle hits.

It truly drives me nuts when fans/analysts, etc say how great of an organization the Packers are. And how good of a GM Thompson is. He's a good GM because he drafted a QB and let him sit behind Favre for years and now he's the best QB in the NFL? That makes him a "good" GM?? I remember when the Colts were fairly solid those first few years into drafting Luck. Everyone was saying how good of a GM Grigson was. Why?? Because they finished dead last the same year the next Peyton Manning was coming out of the draft?? That doesnt make you a good GM. Look where Grigson is now. FIRED. It just says you have common sense. Look how disgustingly horrid Indy's defense was under Grigson. It's still suffering terribly. Green Bay has struggled to draft legit players on the defensive side of the ball. Mike Daniels is very good. Matthews was good 5 years ago. Clinton Dix is ok. I mean outside of that recently, their defense doesnt really have much. They havent been able to find a RB in a long time and going into this year with Ty Montgomery was absolutely stupid. I could've told him that. Especially with a loaded RB class this year.

They have "good" WRs but how "good" are these WRs without Aaron Rodgers. Jordy Nelson, in the last 3 games hasnt eclipsed 60 yards and has zero touchdowns. Adams hasnt eclipsed 54 yards and has 1 TD vs us on a broken play. So how GOOD are these WRs?

The Packers organization in the last 8 years or so is grossly overrated. They would be a hot pile of garbage without Aaron Rodgers and it shows when he doesnt play.

We are 6-2 with a backup QB. We have won with Sam Bradford getting no offseason with this team in his first year. We've gotten to the playoffs with Teddy. The Green Bay Packers can do NOTHING without Aaron Rodgers.

Call me crazy but Rick Spielman, as of late, has been a much better GM than Ted Thompson has. That will ALWAYS be overlooked but when you sit down and think about it, it's as true as it gets. Spielman has built a defense that will always keep us in games no matter what our offense is doing. He's got a plethora of good RB's and WRs. A much improved OL with some good depth. Good TE and a stable of capable QBs. Compare all that to Green Bay's roster and it's not even close.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

A key part of that article was the ripping of the GM/HC for the repeated failures at developing talent and fielding competitive personnel. Outside of Mathews, Daniel, and maybe Dix, who has GB added? The WR look quite pedestrian without AROG. And what is worse, they drafted Rogers in 2006. Literally 11 drafts and they've found 3 or 4 guys that were worth keeping? UGLY is the word for that.

That being said, Rogers proves, once again, the in the NFL the elite QB is a lottery and all about luck more than anything else.

What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer? No way to say what will or will not be, but it seems like the league might be entering a different era where the difference in QB is closer. Then again, a new stud could emerge.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:32 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:
A key part of that article was the ripping of the GM/HC for the repeated failures at developing talent and fielding competitive personnel. Outside of Mathews, Daniel, and maybe Dix, who has GB added? The WR look quite pedestrian without AROG. And what is worse, they drafted Rogers in 2006. Literally 11 drafts and they've found 3 or 4 guys that were worth keeping? UGLY is the word for that.

That being said, Rogers proves, once again, the in the NFL the elite QB is a lottery and all about luck more than anything else.

What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer? No way to say what will or will not be, but it seems like the league might be entering a different era where the difference in QB is closer. Then again, a new stud could emerge.

Exactly. Their drafting/free agency has been terrible. They are a grossly overrated franchise even though 90% of society would disagree with me but when you look at their roster its very obvious. The Lions are a better built team than them. But I just dont see another team anywhere near us in our division which is even more reason we should win it. The Lions D is good but same thing, if Stafford ever went down, they'd go back to the 0-16 Lions. No team has had a worse rushing offense than them the last few years. Their D is okay. But they arent a good team if their best player goes down either. We are. It's happened to us multiple times. AP, Cook, Teddy and Sam (even though the last two werent our "best players" they still were very valuable). But we have a roster that can back that up. These other teams dont. And thats why I will continue to be a Spielman supporter.

I think Wentz and Goff both have that potential. I thought Mariota and Winston but they both looked terrible this year. I think it's Wentz and Goff now. This year is proving that too. Both QBs are playing lights out.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:43 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Momentum is a big part of the play. We haven't seen any younger QB be consistently good to great for three seasons. 5 years ago everyone thought Dalton was the next big thing.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:08 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:
Momentum is a big part of the play. We haven't seen any younger QB be consistently good to great for three seasons. 5 years ago everyone thought Dalton was the next big thing.

Very true. Wilson and Cam are always very up and down. Personally not a fan of either of them. Carr looked like the next big thing but his play fell off a bit this year

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:12 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Very true. Wilson and Cam are always very up and down. Personally not a fan of either of them. Carr looked like the next big thing but his play fell off a bit this year
Wentz probably just the closest thing. He could get hurt, you never know.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
Now 3-8-1

I said last year when we went through all our injuries woes that GB was awful without Rodgers. Some fans tried to blame Spielman and so on but we lost some monster pieces and still finished 8-8. GB loses Aaron Rodgers and they are a bottom 10 team in the NFL. When you lose players that valuable you dont really recover too easily unless a miracle hits.

It truly drives me nuts when fans/analysts, etc say how great of an organization the Packers are. And how good of a GM Thompson is. He's a good GM because he drafted a QB and let him sit behind Favre for years and now he's the best QB in the NFL? That makes him a "good" GM?? I remember when the Colts were fairly solid those first few years into drafting Luck. Everyone was saying how good of a GM Grigson was. Why?? Because they finished dead last the same year the next Peyton Manning was coming out of the draft?? That doesnt make you a good GM. Look where Grigson is now. FIRED. It just says you have common sense. Look how disgustingly horrid Indy's defense was under Grigson. It's still suffering terribly. Green Bay has struggled to draft legit players on the defensive side of the ball. Mike Daniels is very good. Matthews was good 5 years ago. Clinton Dix is ok. I mean outside of that recently, their defense doesnt really have much. They havent been able to find a RB in a long time and going into this year with Ty Montgomery was absolutely stupid. I could've told him that. Especially with a loaded RB class this year.

They have "good" WRs but how "good" are these WRs without Aaron Rodgers. Jordy Nelson, in the last 3 games hasnt eclipsed 60 yards and has zero touchdowns. Adams hasnt eclipsed 54 yards and has 1 TD vs us on a broken play. So how GOOD are these WRs?

The Packers organization in the last 8 years or so is grossly overrated. They would be a hot pile of garbage without Aaron Rodgers and it shows when he doesnt play.

We are 6-2 with a backup QB. We have won with Sam Bradford getting no offseason with this team in his first year. We've gotten to the playoffs with Teddy. The Green Bay Packers can do NOTHING without Aaron Rodgers.

Call me crazy but Rick Spielman, as of late, has been a much better GM than Ted Thompson has. That will ALWAYS be overlooked but when you sit down and think about it, it's as true as it gets. Spielman has built a defense that will always keep us in games no matter what our offense is doing. He's got a plethora of good RB's and WRs. A much improved OL with some good depth. Good TE and a stable of capable QBs. Compare all that to Green Bay's roster and it's not even close.

Agree 100%
:appl:

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 am
Hall of Famer

mansquatch wrote:
What is scary, is who is the next great QB that is coming up the ranks. Big Ben, Brady, Brees, and even Rogers at 34, are either at the end or entering the twilight of their careers. Who is the next up and coming elite passer?

He just tore his ACL.

Deshaun Watson. That guy is going to be special. Already is.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 pm
Pro Bowl Elite Player

https://twitter.com/espnnfl/status/506045042092285952

"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog and a great quarterback, not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant

Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:53 pm
Strong Safety

Good win on the road after the bye,

Green Bay and the lions also won though.

The Bears lost and are a week closer to being
a top ten pick

Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:45 pm
Hall of Famer

jackal wrote:
Good win on the road after the bye,

Green Bay and the lions also won though.

The Bears lost and are a week closer to being
a top ten pick

Both teams barely got out of their own way. If DeShone Kizer hadn't gone down, the Lions may have lost that game. And it certainly makes our game against the Browns look a whole lot better. The Browns aren't a good team, obviously. But they're an improving team.

Today was a good start to "five games for the Division Championship."

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:26 pm
Strong Safety

If we can win the next two games it might only
take four total including the Redskins.

I am hoping the Saints, Eagles, and Rams
cool off in the second half.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:23 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

We need Philly to toss a game or two. That will make things interesting. I doubt they'll go 15-1, they just do not see to be that good of a squad, but you never know.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am
Starting Wide Receiver

One interesting thing is the top teams all play each other in the rest of the season. The Rams play us, Philly, and New Orleans in the next few weeks. We play the Rams as well. The next four weeks will be very interesting.
Philly also plays in Seattle.
BTW the Saints have a very winnable schedule from here on out. Their hardest game will be in LA, and maybe against ATL.
I could see four teams with 12-4 records or better in the Nfc.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate

mansquatch wrote:
We need Philly to toss a game or two. That will make things interesting. I doubt they'll go 15-1, they just do not see to be that good of a squad, but you never know.

It's easy to be 8-1 when you have the easiest schedule so far in the NFC. While the Vikings have had the 3rd easiest in the NFC, the Rams are between the Vikings and Eagles.

SoS so far according to ESPN
Code:
Philadelphia Eagles   0.398
Los Angeles Rams   0.398
Tennessee Titans   0.402
Seattle Seahawks   0.41
Dallas Cowboys   0.439
Pittsburgh Steelers   0.451
Arizona Cardinals   0.464
Minnesota Vikings   0.469
Indianapolis Colts   0.473
Buffalo Bills   0.476

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am
Career Elite Player

Raptorman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

It's easy to be 8-1 when you have the easiest schedule so far in the NFC. While the Vikings have had the 3rd easiest in the NFC, the Rams are between the Vikings and Eagles.

Code:
Los Angeles Rams   0.398
Tennessee Titans   0.402
Seattle Seahawks   0.41
Dallas Cowboys   0.439
Buffalo Bills   0.476

I count 5 NFC teams above the Vikings. Typo, or am I not understanding?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:44 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

DK Sweets wrote:
Raptorman wrote:
mansquatch wrote:

Code:
Los Angeles Rams   0.398
Tennessee Titans   0.402
Seattle Seahawks   0.41
Dallas Cowboys   0.439
Buffalo Bills   0.476

I count 5 NFC teams above the Vikings. Typo, or am I not understanding?
No, The Eagles not only have the easiest schedule in the NFC, but also the NFL. Remember, this is the teams they played minus the the games from their own schedule. Example. Take the Vikings opponents records, add them up and subtract the Vikings record from that number. That should give you the number above, or something close. Not sure how ESPN does it.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

The most complete and proven team on that list is the Steelers.

Bottom line, in looking at the standings, all three of the best teams with the best records in the NFC, the Vikings included, have played soft schedules. The next 4 weeks really look to tell us a lot about these squads.

I bet this will be a year where one of the teams playing a home game in the playoffs will be a pretender. Looks like my initial thoughts on the NFC South might have been off the mark, games against ATL and CAR should be given more weight. Right now that is the best conference in the NFC, potentially both wild cards team could come from there. This is a year where a team could get hot and run through the playoffs whether they be a #1 seed or #6 seed. Right now the difference between the top teams is marginal, there is no power house like last season.

Things are quite the opposite in the AFC where it once again likes like the AFCCG will be played between Ben and Tom. KC might off one of them for it's shot at the crown.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm
Hall of Fame Inductee

mansquatch wrote:

Bottom line, in looking at the standings, all three of the best teams with the best records in the NFC, the Vikings included, have played soft schedules. The next 4 weeks really look to tell us a lot about these squads.

I bet this will be a year where one of the teams playing a home game in the playoffs will be a pretender. Looks like my initial thoughts on the NFC South might have been off the mark, games against ATL and CAR should be given more weight. Right now that is the best conference in the NFC, potentially both wild cards team could come from there. This is a year where a team could get hot and run through the playoffs whether they be a #1 seed or #6 seed. Right now the difference between the top teams is marginal, there is no power house like last season.

Things are quite the opposite in the AFC where it once again likes like the AFCCG will be played between Ben and Tom. KC might off one of them for it's shot at the crown.

The Steelers are not complete and proven. Their offense has slowly been fading. The Ravens have more points currently than the Steelers do. That's pathetic because the Ravens offense is awful. Big Ben is on a rapid decline. And I see him getting worse as the year goes on because his body is going to continue to get banged up. And lets be honest, the only reason they beat KC was because of a miracle catch. It was a terrible throw by Ben.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

mansquatch wrote:

I should post the bottom ten. Teams with the toughest schedule so far.

Code:
   Carolina Panthers   0.527
   San Francisco 49ers   0.533
   Houston Texans   0.537
   Atlanta Falcons   0.542
   Tampa Bay Buccaneers   0.542
   Kansas City Chiefs   0.543
   Green Bay Packers   0.543
   New Orleans Saints   0.561
   Chicago Bears   0.61
   Washington Redskins   0.634

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:27 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I'm not a fan boy of PIT, I really dislike Tomlin, but they have recent credibility.

I'm not even sure if this year's Patriot's team is legit. The two best defensive teams they've played they ended up losing to. Now I know some will say what about Sunday's shellacking of Denver, but that defense is not playing at the level we've seen from them since 2015. The secondary in particular is not as dominant as it has been in the past. Then there was the ST...

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 pm
Career Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
I really dislike Tomlin
I usually see a lot of praise for Tomlin, especially from those of us who remember how good he was as our defensive coordinator. Why do you dislike him?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

DK Sweets wrote:
mansquatch wrote:
I really dislike Tomlin
I usually see a lot of praise for Tomlin, especially from those of us who remember how good he was as our defensive coordinator. Why do you dislike him?

I lost a lot of respect for him over his handling of his team during the national anthem controversy. I thought his position on the matter was poorly reasoned. So not football related, or at least it shouldn't be. Another fine example of why the NFL would be smart to eliminate anything and everything from it's product that could be construed as political. Also, the Mods keep politics off this board, so in the interest of that policy I'm not going to respond to any responses on my answer here. I only posted it because DK asked politely.

Football wise, the Steelers are IMO, one of the elite teams in the AFC and a likely candidate for a first round bye. I do see chinks in their armor as PHP oted the other day, but we are not really seeing any dominant teams in the AFC outside of NE and PIT at the moment. If the Vikings make it to the SB, I'd much prefer facing PIT vs. NE. Our defense proved it can play against that offense and Tomlin and staff are not in the same league as Belicik.

The next three teams are TEN, JAX, and BUF. All three are defensive teams with TEN probably having the most overall balance. I'm not sure any of them would beat NE/PIT in the playoffs though. We'll probably find out in 7 weeks or so.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:10 am
Site Admin

mansquatch wrote:
Also, the Mods keep politics off this board, so in the interest of that policy I'm not going to respond to any responses on my answer here. I only posted it because DK asked politely.

FYI - If you want to discuss this kind of thing we've opened a politics section on the message board. We understand these things come up but we want to keep the football forums about football.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:01 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Thanks Cliff. My intent was to just answer his question and leave it at that. Just wanted to show respect to you guys since I knew in answering I'd be flirting with the line. Back to the Gridiron! :govikes:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:30 am
Site Admin

mansquatch wrote:
Thanks Cliff. My intent was to just answer his question and leave it at that. Just wanted to show respect to you guys since I knew in answering I'd be flirting with the line. Back to the Gridiron! :govikes:

I appreciate that! Nothing you did was wrong or anything. I just wanted to make it known that if people do want to discuss this on the board they can. Just not in this forum.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2