Five games for Division Championship

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Five games for Division Championship

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

jackal wrote:Sorry that exchange made me laugh

When was our last Super Bowl 76 ? Or
something ?

Geez that was like forty years ago ...
I was like 8 years old or something

God I hope we manage to get one in
the next few years. Its getting hard to
even have a little hope anymore.
OK, NOW you're into a question that I'm pretty much an expert on.

Yes, 40 years ago. January 11, 1977. The Raiders killed us, 32-14.

My dad, who hated the Vikings with a passion (but ironically is the reason I'm a Vikings fan) busted my chops the entire game. My older half-brother, who had no dog in the show but simply wanted to torment me, joined him. They were absolutely insufferable. They called Fran Tarkenton "Francis the Prancing Fairy" and a bunch of other derogatory names, laughing mightily at every Vikings miscue. It was just a merciless beatdown, both on the field and in my living room. I was 16 and didn't handle it very well. When the game was over, I stomped off to my room, yelling at my dad, "You're such an a$$hole! I wish you were dead!"

It was the last thing I ever said to him. He died of a heart attack 6 hours later. It was the worst day of my life.

I need the Vikings to win the Super Bowl before I die to exorcise the demons.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: OK, NOW you're into a question that I'm pretty much an expert on.

My dad, who hated the Vikings with a passion (but ironically is the reason I'm a Vikings fan) busted my chops the entire game. My older half-brother, who had no dog in the show but simply wanted to torment me, joined him. They were absolutely insufferable. They called Fran Tarkenton "Francis the Prancing Fairy" and a bunch of other derogatory names, laughing mightily at every Vikings miscue. It was just a merciless beatdown, both on the field and in my living room. I was 16 and didn't handle it very well. When the game was over, I stomped off to my room, yelling at my dad, "You're such an a$$hole! I wish you were dead!"

It was the last thing I ever said to him. He died of a heart attack 6 hours later. It was the worst day of my life.

Damn man, I'm sorry! That stinks.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: OK, NOW you're into a question that I'm pretty much an expert on.

Wow. So sorry to hear this.

How awesome would it be for them to be the 1st team to win in their own stadium? It's hard, really hard, at times to be a fan of this team but hey if the Cubs can do it...
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Wow. That's rough man. The Vikings are going to get there. For the first time in a long time, I feel they have the right coach to get the team there. It's just a matter of timing and some luck.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Thanks guys. It's all good. Took awhile to figure out that I didn't kill my dad, but it's all right. It was a long time ago, and he smoked 4 packs a day. He was a heart attack waiting to happen. And you know what? The last thing I said to him just as easily could have been, "Pass the potatoes." It was just bad timing.

I can say, however, that everything I am as a Vikings fan goes back to that day. I was a huge fan before that. I'm pretty much a zealot since. I don't care how it happens, I just want our team to hoist the trophy. When players say, "This is for the fans," it's so true. Every one of you who lives and dies for the Purple deserves to be able to say, "We're World Champions" at least once in your lifetime.

And I agree -- if any coach since Bud Grant has the goods to get it done, it's Mike Zimmer.

SKOL!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Thanks guys. It's all good. Took awhile to figure out that I didn't kill my dad, but it's all right. It was a long time ago, and he smoked 4 packs a day. He was a heart attack waiting to happen. And you know what? The last thing I said to him just as easily could have been, "Pass the potatoes." It was just bad timing.

I can say, however, that everything I am as a Vikings fan goes back to that day. I was a huge fan before that. I'm pretty much a zealot since. I don't care how it happens, I just want our team to hoist the trophy. When players say, "This is for the fans," it's so true. Every one of you who lives and dies for the Purple deserves to be able to say, "We're World Champions" at least once in your lifetime.

And I agree -- if any coach since Bud Grant has the goods to get it done, it's Mike Zimmer.

SKOL!
SKOL brother. Well said.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Thanks guys. It's all good. Took awhile to figure out that I didn't kill my dad, but it's all right. It was a long time ago, and he smoked 4 packs a day. He was a heart attack waiting to happen. And you know what? The last thing I said to him just as easily could have been, "Pass the potatoes." It was just bad timing.

SKOL!
Wow man that's awful. My father started smoking at 18. I begged him to quit when he was 49. He is now 57 and has been cigarette free for 8 years. But there is a history of heart attacks on his side so it scares the crap out of me every day
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

I remember that day. I was 19. The day started out well. I drove over to the L&K restaurant where I used to work as a short order cook and my 16 year old brother (who started after I quit) cooked me an awesome omelet with a Viking "V" of melted cheese on top. I lived in Ohio then and the Super Bowl came on earlier back then. Pre game at 2:30 and the game at 3:30. I know that because I saved the Akron Beacon Journal Super Bowl insert like I did for the Miami and Pittsburgh Super Bowls.

There weren't video recorders back then or at least we didn't have one. I might have tape recorded the game using my memorex cassettes. I had done that before, hoping to have something for posterity. I still remember Brent McClanahan's fumble at the goal line after we had blocked Ray Guy's punt. I guess I've always felt we were cursed after that.
ERIK the PURPLE
Franchise Player

Post by ERIK the PURPLE »

Can you believe a Super Bowl pregame that lasted only one hour. Haha.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

ERIK the PURPLE wrote:I remember that day. I was 19. The day started out well. I drove over to the L&K restaurant where I used to work as a short order cook and my 16 year old brother (who started after I quit) cooked me an awesome omelet with a Viking "V" of melted cheese on top. I lived in Ohio then and the Super Bowl came on earlier back then. Pre game at 2:30 and the game at 3:30. I know that because I saved the Akron Beacon Journal Super Bowl insert like I did for the Miami and Pittsburgh Super Bowls.

There weren't video recorders back then or at least we didn't have one. I might have tape recorded the game using my memorex cassettes. I had done that before, hoping to have something for posterity. I still remember Brent McClanahan's fumble at the goal line after we had blocked Ray Guy's punt. I guess I've always felt we were cursed after that.
Yeah, that fumble was like air being let out of the balloon. Ray Guy had never had a punt blocked in his life, and we blocked it. Why we didn't give the ball to Chuck Foreman has always escaped me (although he was sort of a fumble machine himself, but the guy scored a buttload of touchdowns).
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Dam 4 packs a day..

We car pooled with a guy who smoked like
that to school as kids. He smoked Paul Malls
But had a car I liked, Mercury Cougar..

Yeah my dad is like that too, he gave me
crap for being a Vikings fan for years but
he couldn’t get me to stop.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Right now we just have to play good ball.
If we handle business and beat teams the lions
can’t catch us. The lions up to the Packers
had lost a lot of games, they will lose more.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.

They definitely could. That Thanksgiving game is going to be huge.

I want to enjoy the season and watch the Vikings win the division out right. I would hate to win on the division on a technicality and especially this year when no one considers our team a good team (just a team who got 'lucky' Aaron Rodgers is out. What a shame for football fans right? :roll: )
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:Just looked at the Lions ROS schedule. Other than us, they have a legit chance to run the table. They'll be in it until the end.
Wow yeah their upcoming schedule is a cake walk outside of us. Ugh I dont like the sounds of this already :wallbang:

Lions schedule:

vs. Cleveland
@ Chicago
vs. Minnesota
@ Baltimore
@ Tampa Bay
vs. Chicago
@ Cincy
vs. GB

Vikings schedule:

@ Washington
vs. LA Rams
@ Detroit
@ Atlanta
@ Carolina
vs. Cincy
@ GB
vs. Chicago

I dont know why but this makes me very nervous
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri