View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Week 8 post game thoughts 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
S197 wrote:
I just watched the highlights but Harris missed a key tackle on the Crowell TD run. Sendejo is more key to the defense that some may think. That said, it's good to see second string guys stepping up.

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks. I think they activate Teddy but run with Case for a bit longer. At least until a loss or two.


I have been wondering if they stick with Case too, if either Sam or Teddy are ready to play. I think its a bad idea. Both Teddy and Sam will have rust, and will need to get in the swing of things ASAP. We have a shot at winning the division. And if any QB doesnt look ready, then we can switch back to Case. Its not a good scenario, but it may have to happen. When the first and second QBs are out at the same time, this is what happens. Plus, Rick is going to have to see Sam play again this year, to determine if hes worth the money hes probably going to want next year. What a mess :(


I wouldnt say its a mess. It's more about just making the right decisions from here on out. The big tell is going to be after the bye. Who is healthy and who isnt. This is honestly a perfect time for Teddy to come back because he gets an extra week of reps given the bye. Sam could be healthy by then too. It's all about playing our cards right but if worst comes to worst, start Case until that decision can be made. But I honestly dont see Case starting vs Washington

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It is arguable because you comparing him to a guy that's not even on an NFL team and was a converted fullback. Lesean McCoy, Jay Ajayi and Lamar Miller are all averaging under 4.0 YPC. 3.8, 3.4 and 3.6 in that order. I guess those teams must be making a mistake by leaving Matt Asiata on the streets. To say he isn't performing well is one thing but comparing him to Matt Asiata is a joke. Sorry but it is. It has nothing to do with me playing against him. It's just it's not hard to figure out that Latavius Murray is a better RB than Matt Asiata. Murray has actually started in this league, produced and went to a pro bowl. Asiata has only started by default and hardly ever produced. I honestly can't even believe I'm having this argument to be honest

You're having this argument because the guy you're defending isn't producing. I didn't say Matt Asiata is more talented than Latavius Murray. I'm saying Murray's not producing even at a Matt Asiata level for the Vikings.

You said the key word. "Has." That's past tense. He's had basically one good season. Even his paltry stats this year are highly skewed by the Baltimore game. In no other game has he averaged more than 3.0 YPC. He has 6 total receptions. Six.

You're right. Matt Asiata isn't on the roster. That's because we're paying Latavius Murray $8.5 million in guaranteed money to be the starter (I didn't mention the $15 million figure because that includes incentives he has absolutely no shot of reaching). And you talk about starting by default -- I'd say a blown ACL to Dalvin Cook would qualify, especially when you consider that Murray had no more than 3 carries in a game until Cook went down. Basically, he was third team behind Cook and McKinnon.

Third team. Sounds a lot like Matt Asiata.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
S197 wrote:
I just watched the highlights but Harris missed a key tackle on the Crowell TD run. Sendejo is more key to the defense that some may think. That said, it's good to see second string guys stepping up.

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks. I think they activate Teddy but run with Case for a bit longer. At least until a loss or two.


I have been wondering if they stick with Case too, if either Sam or Teddy are ready to play. I think its a bad idea. Both Teddy and Sam will have rust, and will need to get in the swing of things ASAP. We have a shot at winning the division. And if any QB doesnt look ready, then we can switch back to Case. Its not a good scenario, but it may have to happen. When the first and second QBs are out at the same time, this is what happens. Plus, Rick is going to have to see Sam play again this year, to determine if hes worth the money hes probably going to want next year. What a mess :(


I wouldnt say its a mess. It's more about just making the right decisions from here on out. The big tell is going to be after the bye. Who is healthy and who isnt. This is honestly a perfect time for Teddy to come back because he gets an extra week of reps given the bye. Sam could be healthy by then too. It's all about playing our cards right but if worst comes to worst, start Case until that decision can be made. But I honestly dont see Case starting vs Washington

I think Case starts against Washintgon unless Sam is ready.

At this point, it sure seems like they'll ACTIVATE Teddy. But I can't see them starting him. Case has won four straight. Teddy hasn't played even a preseason game in nearly 16 months. Washington is a tough road opponent, and we need the win. This isn't the time to start Teddy Bridgewater.

If Sam is still inactive and Case underperforms or gets hurt, I could see Teddy getting in the game against Washington. But starting? Highly doubt it. Zimmer isn't prone to sentimentality or experimentation.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17670
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
S197 wrote:
I just watched the highlights but Harris missed a key tackle on the Crowell TD run. Sendejo is more key to the defense that some may think. That said, it's good to see second string guys stepping up.

It's going to be an interesting couple weeks. I think they activate Teddy but run with Case for a bit longer. At least until a loss or two.
I was actually going to mention Harris. I think he has played very well replacing Sendejo. He is a very capable backup, imo. You are right though, the defense oddly doesn't look the same when Sendejo isn't playing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It is arguable because you comparing him to a guy that's not even on an NFL team and was a converted fullback. Lesean McCoy, Jay Ajayi and Lamar Miller are all averaging under 4.0 YPC. 3.8, 3.4 and 3.6 in that order. I guess those teams must be making a mistake by leaving Matt Asiata on the streets. To say he isn't performing well is one thing but comparing him to Matt Asiata is a joke. Sorry but it is. It has nothing to do with me playing against him. It's just it's not hard to figure out that Latavius Murray is a better RB than Matt Asiata. Murray has actually started in this league, produced and went to a pro bowl. Asiata has only started by default and hardly ever produced. I honestly can't even believe I'm having this argument to be honest

You're having this argument because the guy you're defending isn't producing. I didn't say Matt Asiata is more talented than Latavius Murray. I'm saying Murray's not producing even at a Matt Asiata level for the Vikings.

You said the key word. "Has." That's past tense. He's had basically one good season. Even his paltry stats this year are highly skewed by the Baltimore game. In no other game has he averaged more than 3.0 YPC. He has 6 total receptions. Six.

You're right. Matt Asiata isn't on the roster. That's because we're paying Latavius Murray $8.5 million in guaranteed money to be the starter (I didn't mention the $15 million figure because that includes incentives he has absolutely no shot of reaching). And you talk about starting by default -- I'd say a blown ACL to Dalvin Cook would qualify, especially when you consider that Murray had no more than 3 carries in a game until Cook went down. Basically, he was third team behind Cook and McKinnon.

Third team. Sounds a lot like Matt Asiata.


Him having 6 receptions isnt his fault. I mean he's caught everything thrown to him. He cant catch balls when they arent thrown to him.

And I know Asiata isnt on the roster. But I said he's not on A roster. Like not on any roster in the entire NFL. He was cut by Detroit who has next to nothing at RB. I also never said you said Asiata was more talented. But you're comparing the two. And no they arent comparable. You're comparing Murray's first 4 games as a Vikings getting legitimate carries to Matt Asiata in general. In New Orleans Adrian Peterson was terrible. Does that mean he compares to Matt Asiata?? No. No RB on this roster compares to Asiata because he was terrible. Literally never good, at any time in his career. Had zero vision, zero speed, zero elusiveness. Caught the ball decent. Good for him. But there is literally no comparison. At all.

I'm not saying Murray is putting up good numbers. That's what youre claiming that I'm defending. I simply said, to look at the Baltimore game. That's what he can do when he gets in a rhythm. He doesnt run well against Clevelands #4 ranked run defense and now all of the sudden he's being compared to Matt Asiata?? Thats ridiculous.

Like I said before, Murray is a solid RB. McKinnon is surprising everyone. They both have the potential to bust a game open. But in no way, shape or form does Latavius Murray compare to Matt Asiata. That I can guarantee and that is what I am defending. You can sprinkle in whatever else you want in there but thats what I was defending since yesterday and it started when you made that comparison.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:30 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I think Case starts against Washintgon unless Sam is ready.

At this point, it sure seems like they'll ACTIVATE Teddy. But I can't see them starting him. Case has won four straight. Teddy hasn't played even a preseason game in nearly 16 months. Washington is a tough road opponent, and we need the win. This isn't the time to start Teddy Bridgewater.

If Sam is still inactive and Case underperforms or gets hurt, I could see Teddy getting in the game against Washington. But starting? Highly doubt it. Zimmer isn't prone to sentimentality or experimentation.


Well if thats the case then I have no clue when you think it's a good time to start Teddy. Out of our next 5 opponents, 4 are on the road all against tough teams and the one home game we have might be against the hottest team in football. This is the perfect time to get him in there (if we're going to at all) because he gets two full weeks of practice and reps. Either we do it now, or we do it at years end when it's playoff time and I wouldnt advise that at all.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am
Profile
Starter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:56 pm
Posts: 192
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
I guess I am the only one on this forum to say Case Keenum deserves more respect than he is getting. The Vikings are winning with him, at least give him the benefit of losing the job rather then take it from him and handing it over to an unknown situation. It could be the Bears game all over again.

#TeamKeenum.


Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
petev_sj wrote:
I guess I am the only one on this forum to say Case Keenum deserves more respect than he is getting. The Vikings are winning with him, at least give him the benefit of losing the job rather then take it from him and handing it over to an unknown situation. It could be the Bears game all over again.

#TeamKeenum.


Oh I give the guy credit but he isnt taking us to the promise land. His play has slowly dipped over the past few weeks and his erratic passing is starting to show. Now is the time to do it. If we wait any longer and Keenum happens to crap the bed just before playoffs, do we want to throw in a rusty Teddy or rusty Bradford in then? I would hope not. Now is the time to do it.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:20 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
It is arguable because you comparing him to a guy that's not even on an NFL team and was a converted fullback. Lesean McCoy, Jay Ajayi and Lamar Miller are all averaging under 4.0 YPC. 3.8, 3.4 and 3.6 in that order. I guess those teams must be making a mistake by leaving Matt Asiata on the streets. To say he isn't performing well is one thing but comparing him to Matt Asiata is a joke. Sorry but it is. It has nothing to do with me playing against him. It's just it's not hard to figure out that Latavius Murray is a better RB than Matt Asiata. Murray has actually started in this league, produced and went to a pro bowl. Asiata has only started by default and hardly ever produced. I honestly can't even believe I'm having this argument to be honest

You're having this argument because the guy you're defending isn't producing. I didn't say Matt Asiata is more talented than Latavius Murray. I'm saying Murray's not producing even at a Matt Asiata level for the Vikings.

You said the key word. "Has." That's past tense. He's had basically one good season. Even his paltry stats this year are highly skewed by the Baltimore game. In no other game has he averaged more than 3.0 YPC. He has 6 total receptions. Six.

You're right. Matt Asiata isn't on the roster. That's because we're paying Latavius Murray $8.5 million in guaranteed money to be the starter (I didn't mention the $15 million figure because that includes incentives he has absolutely no shot of reaching). And you talk about starting by default -- I'd say a blown ACL to Dalvin Cook would qualify, especially when you consider that Murray had no more than 3 carries in a game until Cook went down. Basically, he was third team behind Cook and McKinnon.

Third team. Sounds a lot like Matt Asiata.


Him having 6 receptions isnt his fault. I mean he's caught everything thrown to him. He cant catch balls when they arent thrown to him.

And I know Asiata isnt on the roster. But I said he's not on A roster. Like not on any roster in the entire NFL. He was cut by Detroit who has next to nothing at RB. I also never said you said Asiata was more talented. But you're comparing the two. And no they arent comparable. You're comparing Murray's first 4 games as a Vikings getting legitimate carries to Matt Asiata in general. In New Orleans Adrian Peterson was terrible. Does that mean he compares to Matt Asiata?? No. No RB on this roster compares to Asiata because he was terrible. Literally never good, at any time in his career. Had zero vision, zero speed, zero elusiveness. Caught the ball decent. Good for him. But there is literally no comparison. At all.

I'm not saying Murray is putting up good numbers. That's what youre claiming that I'm defending. I simply said, to look at the Baltimore game. That's what he can do when he gets in a rhythm. He doesnt run well against Clevelands #4 ranked run defense and now all of the sudden he's being compared to Matt Asiata?? Thats ridiculous.

Like I said before, Murray is a solid RB. McKinnon is surprising everyone. They both have the potential to bust a game open. But in no way, shape or form does Latavius Murray compare to Matt Asiata. That I can guarantee and that is what I am defending. You can sprinkle in whatever else you want in there but thats what I was defending since yesterday and it started when you made that comparison.

YOU ARE CHANGING THE ARGUMENT.

I NEVER said Matt Asiata is better than Latavius Murray. I have said every single time that Latavius Murray is PERFORMING WITH THE VIKINGS at a Matt Asiata level. That's all I said, and it's a fact that the numbers bear out. How on earth can you not see that? Stop changing what I'm saying!

Done with this conversation. When Murray starts performing consistently instead of going down whenever a 189-pound DB touches his shoe, I'll give him his due ... just like I did when he actually had his one good game out of eight.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:25 am
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I think Case starts against Washintgon unless Sam is ready.

At this point, it sure seems like they'll ACTIVATE Teddy. But I can't see them starting him. Case has won four straight. Teddy hasn't played even a preseason game in nearly 16 months. Washington is a tough road opponent, and we need the win. This isn't the time to start Teddy Bridgewater.

If Sam is still inactive and Case underperforms or gets hurt, I could see Teddy getting in the game against Washington. But starting? Highly doubt it. Zimmer isn't prone to sentimentality or experimentation.


Well if thats the case then I have no clue when you think it's a good time to start Teddy. Out of our next 5 opponents, 4 are on the road all against tough teams and the one home game we have might be against the hottest team in football. This is the perfect time to get him in there (if we're going to at all) because he gets two full weeks of practice and reps. Either we do it now, or we do it at years end when it's playoff time and I wouldnt advise that at all.

OK, let me spell out my opinion for you and back it with a few facts.

The Vikings should not start Teddy Bridgewater unless Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are either unavailable or ineffective. That's my belief.

And they especially should not start him in the middle of a 6-2 season against a quality opponent on the road. I don't think it's appropriate to "see what you have with Teddy" in the middle of a potential playoff run. To sum it up, AT NO TIME should they start Teddy Bridgewater simply because he's healthy enough to start. That's what I'm saying.

My facts to support Case are as follows. He is winning football games. He is 4-2 as a starter, and if this were baseball, he'd have gotten the win in relief against Chicago. So for all intents and purposes, he's 5-2. He's taking care of the football, with 3 picks in 7 games (16% better than league average) and no fumbles. He's only been sacked 5 times, which is 30% better than league average. He's not lighting the world on fire with YPA or QBR, but 88.0 is right at league average. I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, but when the dust settled, the man had converted four third downs of 9 yards or longer, and the Vikings had scored 33 points on seven scoring drives. That is absolutely stellar, especially against a team that's pretty good defensively, and especially with our defense behind him.

So there you go. I just shared my opinion. Opinions are part of the board. I also offered a few facts to support my opinion -- Case is playing good football, he's keeping turnovers to a minimum, and he's winning. They're not the strongest facts I've ever seen, but they do make my opinion a little stronger than it would be if I hadn't supported it. And if my opinion turns out to be wrong, I'll own it. I've proven that -- to you, actually.

You obviously believe Teddy should start against Washington over Keenum if he's ready. So help me out here. Why? What are the facts to support your case that Teddy would out-play Case Keenum at this point, without having seen the field in 16 months, in an important road game against a quality opponent?

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:50 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17670
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Good post Kapp. Honestly Bradford would need to be 100% before I would start him, assuming Case keeps playing like he is. It's absurd to start teddy this season unless Sam and Case are both hurt.
Keep in mind too, if Teddy doesn't play this year, his contract automatically extends for a season. Right now, none of out qbs are signed after this season. That's a big, big problem. It isn't inconceivable to suggest that all three qbs will be on different teams next season. There is way more risk, and I am not convinced there is enough of a elreward, to playing teddy this season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:34 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17670
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
To be clear, I see PHPs point as well, I just don't think it is worth it right now.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
I said......

Quote:
I also never said you said Asiata was more talented. But you're comparing the two. And no they arent comparable.


and you said.....

Quote:
YOU ARE CHANGING THE ARGUMENT.

I NEVER said Matt Asiata is better than Latavius Murray. I have said every single time that Latavius Murray is PERFORMING WITH THE VIKINGS at a Matt Asiata level. That's all I said, and it's a fact that the numbers bear out. How on earth can you not see that? Stop changing what I'm saying!


There is no change in argument. Again, I never said "You said Asiata was better". I have said that multiple times now. I just said they arent comparable in any way IMO.

Quote:
Done with this conversation. When Murray starts performing consistently instead of going down whenever a 189-pound DB touches his shoe, I'll give him his due ... just like I did when he actually had his one good game out of eight.


Are you really going to count all 8 games?? Dalvin Cook was the clear starter. Where was McKinnon the first 4 games......returning kicks? So in all fairness, why are we even counting the first 4 games for either back. I look at the last 4 when they got legitimate opportunity. McKinnon ran the ball better in 3 out of the 4. We have a 4 game sample size here. Not much to work off of. Either way, you know why this all started. I have no problem being done with this convo because we're talking ourselves in circles at this point

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Good post Kapp. Honestly Bradford would need to be 100% before I would start him, assuming Case keeps playing like he is. It's absurd to start teddy this season unless Sam and Case are both hurt.
Keep in mind too, if Teddy doesn't play this year, his contract automatically extends for a season. Right now, none of out qbs are signed after this season. That's a big, big problem. It isn't inconceivable to suggest that all three qbs will be on different teams next season. There is way more risk, and I am not convinced there is enough of a elreward, to playing teddy this season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Yeah, you're getting into an area with contracts that I hadn't even broached.

You're right -- if Teddy plays, he's not under contract for next season. So playing him at all sets up a dicey situation. On one hand, if he plays well, he might end up elsewhere because teams will bid for him. If he plays poorly, we're still without a quarterback under contract. If we don't give him an opportunity, he might take offense and hurt our chances to sign him long-term. It gets complicated.

I think the team needs to take care of right now. This season. We're in this thing. We're 1.5 games in front of the division. We're a game back of Philly for the best record in the NFC. And no team in the NFC is really setting itself apart as the Super Bowl favorite. The Eagles have the best record and are playing well, but look at their opponents. Six of their wins (Washington (2), the Giants, the Cardinals, the Chargers and the 49ers) have been earned against teams with losing records. There is no clear-cut favorite in the NFC, which makes the Vikings' chances at a deep playoff run greater -- especially if we can get a home playoff game or the best record, which is still within reach.

That's why I say they shouldn't experiment to see what they have with Teddy. It has nothing to do with how I feel about Teddy as a quarterback. It has everything to do with winning this division and getting home field in the playoffs. If we were 3-5 and struggling, I'd say sure, give Teddy a chance to spark us. But when a guy is 5-2 and playing well, stick with him until he's hurt or ineffective. If that happens, I'd be fine with Teddy getting his opportunity, especially if Bradford hasn't proved that he's ready to play effectively.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:15 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
There is no change in argument. Again, I never said "You said Asiata was better". I have said that multiple times now. I just said they arent comparable in any way IMO.

THERE IT IS! The magic words. "In my opinion."

I lied. Not finished with this conversation. Just because you said there's no comparison, I'm going to compare.

Matt Asiata, first 8 games of 2016
Att 64
Yards 227
YPA 3.6
Rec 17
Yards 148
YPC 8.7
Total yards from scrimmage 375
Total TDs 2

Latavius Murray, first 8 games of 2017
Att 78
Yards 249
YPA 3.2
Rec 6
Yards 38
YPC 6.3
Total yards from scrimmage 287
Total TDs 1

Come to think of it, you're right. There IS no comparison!

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:28 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
There is no change in argument. Again, I never said "You said Asiata was better". I have said that multiple times now. I just said they arent comparable in any way IMO.

THERE IT IS! The magic words. "In my opinion."

I lied. Not finished with this conversation. Just because you said there's no comparison, I'm going to compare.

Matt Asiata, first 8 games of 2016
Att 64
Yards 227
YPA 3.6
Rec 17
Yards 148
YPC 8.7
Total yards from scrimmage 375
Total TDs 2

Latavius Murray, first 8 games of 2017
Att 78
Yards 249
YPA 3.2
Rec 6
Yards 38
YPC 6.3
Total yards from scrimmage 287
Total TDs 1

Come to think of it, you're right. There IS no comparison!



The fact that you actually believe they are comparable is just laughable. You're talking about a guy that is no longer on an NFL roster, had no right being on any roster last year and has literally accomplished nothing in his career. Murray has consistently averaged 4.0 YPC his last two years and 5.2 his rookie year. BUT because he doesnt run well in 3 of his last 4 games with a new team coming off ankle surgery, he is now comparable to Matt Asiata. You literally have to be joking me. I am done with this conversation because there is clearly no getting through to you and I dont want to waste anymore of my day trying to explain to a fan how Murray and Asiata arent comparable. It's sad I actually have to do that.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4536
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I think Case starts against Washintgon unless Sam is ready.

At this point, it sure seems like they'll ACTIVATE Teddy. But I can't see them starting him. Case has won four straight. Teddy hasn't played even a preseason game in nearly 16 months. Washington is a tough road opponent, and we need the win. This isn't the time to start Teddy Bridgewater.

If Sam is still inactive and Case underperforms or gets hurt, I could see Teddy getting in the game against Washington. But starting? Highly doubt it. Zimmer isn't prone to sentimentality or experimentation.


Well if thats the case then I have no clue when you think it's a good time to start Teddy. Out of our next 5 opponents, 4 are on the road all against tough teams and the one home game we have might be against the hottest team in football. This is the perfect time to get him in there (if we're going to at all) because he gets two full weeks of practice and reps. Either we do it now, or we do it at years end when it's playoff time and I wouldnt advise that at all.

OK, let me spell out my opinion for you and back it with a few facts.

The Vikings should not start Teddy Bridgewater unless Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are either unavailable or ineffective. That's my belief.

And they especially should not start him in the middle of a 6-2 season against a quality opponent on the road. I don't think it's appropriate to "see what you have with Teddy" in the middle of a potential playoff run. To sum it up, AT NO TIME should they start Teddy Bridgewater simply because he's healthy enough to start. That's what I'm saying.

My facts to support Case are as follows. He is winning football games. He is 4-2 as a starter, and if this were baseball, he'd have gotten the win in relief against Chicago. So for all intents and purposes, he's 5-2. He's taking care of the football, with 3 picks in 7 games (16% better than league average) and no fumbles. He's only been sacked 5 times, which is 30% better than league average. He's not lighting the world on fire with YPA or QBR, but 88.0 is right at league average. I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, but when the dust settled, the man had converted four third downs of 9 yards or longer, and the Vikings had scored 33 points on seven scoring drives. That is absolutely stellar, especially against a team that's pretty good defensively, and especially with our defense behind him.

So there you go. I just shared my opinion. Opinions are part of the board. I also offered a few facts to support my opinion -- Case is playing good football, he's keeping turnovers to a minimum, and he's winning. They're not the strongest facts I've ever seen, but they do make my opinion a little stronger than it would be if I hadn't supported it. And if my opinion turns out to be wrong, I'll own it. I've proven that -- to you, actually.

You obviously believe Teddy should start against Washington over Keenum if he's ready. So help me out here. Why? What are the facts to support your case that Teddy would out-play Case Keenum at this point, without having seen the field in 16 months, in an important road game against a quality opponent?


Lets put it this way, do you really believe Case Keenum will be able to lead a "playoff run"?? I dont. Especially with how inconsistent he's been lately. I believe Teddy can if he proves to be healthy. I really dont want to "waste" a season where we can be legit SB contenders and one where Aaron Rodgers is out just to watch us make the playoffs and lose the first game. What do you think a defense like Seattle will do to Keenum?? Detroit made him look out of his element! Defenses like that will expose his inconsistencies. I mean he struggled vs. the Browns DBs in the first half yesterday and I literally cant name a player in the Browns current secondary. He's a good fallback option, but if Teddy or Sam are healthy, they should get the start. Keenum is barely getting by as is right now and we havent even hit the meat of our schedule yet.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:52 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Diggs being Diggs

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/924627775549509632

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:51 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10590
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Give the kid the ball! Very cool though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk


Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Profile
Online
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6461
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Lets put it this way, do you really believe Case Keenum will be able to lead a "playoff run"?? I dont.

Irrelevant.

Why is Teddy Bridgewater (who has also never led a playoff run) better than Case Keenum? That's the real question here.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Especially with how inconsistent he's been lately. I believe Teddy can if he proves to be healthy.

Here we see the real problem with your argument.

I asked you to prove to me that Teddy Bridgewater could outplay Case Keenum, and you instead told me what "you believe."

The supporting facts I offered weren't that stupendous, but at least I gave you something. You counter with non-fact-based opinions like "inconsistent" and "I can't name a player in the Browns secondary," which are easily refuted by the numbers I gave you. Plus, I could opine that Teddy Bridgewater has been inconsistent during his career, and I'd be just as right as you are.

You believe that Teddy Bridgewater could lead a playoff run, but Keenum couldn't. So I'm asking ... what has Teddy Bridgewater ever ACTUALLY DONE in the NFL that proves your statement?

You obviously think Teddy's ceiling is higher. Again, prove it. Use a number. Any number. A metric of some kind. The opinion of somebody who's actually in the NFL. Anything. My guess is that you'll start with the 11-5 record and division championship in 2015 as a metric. Great. Then play fair and compare it to Keenum's 5-2 record this year (a better winning percentage, by the way). Want to use Teddy's stats in 2015? Perfect. They're almost identical to what Keenum's are right now, except for sack rate and INT rate, which Keenum wins by a mile.

And NONE of this accounts for the fact that we don't know whether Bridgewater's leg will actually stay attached if he takes a sack.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I really dont want to "waste" a season where we can be legit SB contenders and one where Aaron Rodgers is out just to watch us make the playoffs and lose the first game.

(Part 1)
Neither do I.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
What do you think a defense like Seattle will do to Keenum??

(Part 2)
Probably no worse than they did to Teddy Bridgewater in the 2015 playoffs, when Teddy threw for 146 yards, the Vikings netted less than 200 yards of total offense, and scored no touchdowns.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Detroit made him look out of his element! Defenses like that will expose his inconsistencies.

You mean like the God-awful 49ers did to Teddy in 2015? Or maybe the Seahawks that regular season? I can cherry-pick bad games, too.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
He's a good fallback option, but if Teddy or Sam are healthy, they should get the start.

Sam Bradford isn't an issue for me. If Sam Bradford is healthy, I'd take him 8 days a week over EITHER Bridgewater or Keenum. I've stated that a hundred times on this board. But that assumes a HEALTHY Sam Bradford. Because there is no way I want the Sam Bradford we saw against Chicago to ever take the field again for the Minnesota Vikings. Until he proves he's healthy, he can't even be considered.

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Keenum is barely getting by as is right now and we havent even hit the meat of our schedule yet.

So the first 8 games don't count?

Again, what makes Teddy Bridgewater, especially as he is right now, a better option that Case Keenum? Use an actual metric, please. Not the eye test. Not your opinion. Show some proof.

Thank you.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:44 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7815
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
How long has Case been in the NFL? How about Teddy?
Who went to the Pro Bowl?
Who has had the better Oline since playing for the Vikings?

Its hard to imagine someone wanting Case playing at QB if Teddy is healthy and ready to play.


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:41 pm
Profile
Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm
Posts: 239
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
I will say that I have no idea how well Teddy's rehab has been going, and most all of us don't either,but I have seen some flaws in Keenums game. He has played pretty well , except he really has a problem throwing deep and eventually he will need to .


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
#Vikings DE Everson Griffen had 12 pressures on Sunday and now leads the @NFL by a wide margin with 45 per #NextGenStats

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:57 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Husker Vike wrote:
I will say that I have no idea how well Teddy's rehab has been going, and most all of us don't either,but I have seen some flaws in Keenums game. He has played pretty well , except he really has a problem throwing deep and eventually he will need to .


Well, we have some idea of his rehab if he was cleared for practice. But performance wise, yeah, not hearing much out of practice except from day 1.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:06 pm
Profile
Rookie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:02 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Columbus, WI
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
It's an entertaining season to be sure. Only one team will win the SB any given year. If you can't enjoy an individual win...then you will be miserable year after year. While I would love to see the Vikings win a SB...I had quite an attitude adjustment in 1998. I missed two days of work...due to the disappointment. Now I am able to enjoy the wins and can deal with the losses.

Keeping everything in perspective is KEY!

_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org


Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:56 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:14 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10590
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
808vikingsfan wrote:
Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds


Most impressive is rush D. It's been a big improvement.


Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2540
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
808vikingsfan wrote:
Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds



Oh, and one more thing. Thielen is #2 in receiving yds. Last year was labeled his breakout year. What do you call this year?

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:18 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23457
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
808vikingsfan wrote:
808vikingsfan wrote:
Through week 8, Vikings D: #4 ranked in scoring, #3 in yards, #2 in 3rd downs, #4 in rushing yds, #7 in passing yds



Oh, and one more thing. Thielen is #2 in receiving yds. Last year was labeled his breakout year. What do you call this year?


"I guess this Minnesota boy good" year.

Keep under estimating him, opposing defensive coordinators.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:46 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 529
Post Re: Week 8 post game thoughts
Lol at everyone saying Teddy Bridgewater is a pro bowl quarterback. The year he was selected to the pro bowl, 5 QBs turned it down. He finished the season 22nd in passing yards and passer rating, and 26th in TD passes.


Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:15 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: J. Kapp 11, LondonViking and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.