View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 pm



Reply to topic  [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8 
Author Message
Starter

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm
Posts: 139
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
"Let's not forget we were 6-1 going into the Bye week last season, and we all know where that led to."

Pretty sure they're going into this bye with a different mentality. ;) Because it this, it can't be compared by numbers; Too many different mindset variables. And because of THAT, I think they have an upper hand over them going into the bye last year. Worry not, this IS a different deal. ;)


Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:30 pm
Profile
Starter

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:32 pm
Posts: 139
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
There's NO way in hell they're approaching the bye the same way this year.


Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:31 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
dead_poet wrote:
Looks like 10 is the NFL record. Simeon Fletcher.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/sacks

Above, 8 for team.



Most consecutive games, sack: 11, Jared Allen, 2011–2012

Most consecutive games, sack

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:26 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
The-Purple-Reign wrote:
"Let's not forget we were 6-1 going into the Bye week last season, and we all know where that led to."

Pretty sure they're going into this bye with a different mentality. ;) Because it this, it can't be compared by numbers; Too many different mindset variables. And because of THAT, I think they have an upper hand over them going into the bye last year. Worry not, this IS a different deal. ;)



They were also going into the bye at 5-0, not 6-1. Where did 6-1 come from?

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:55 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2351
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
808vikingsfan wrote:
The-Purple-Reign wrote:
"Let's not forget we were 6-1 going into the Bye week last season, and we all know where that led to."

Pretty sure they're going into this bye with a different mentality. ;) Because it this, it can't be compared by numbers; Too many different mindset variables. And because of THAT, I think they have an upper hand over them going into the bye last year. Worry not, this IS a different deal. ;)

They were also going into the bye at 5-0, not 6-1. Where did 6-1 come from?

What he said! The Vikes won their 6th game to go 6-4 last year, against the Cards. By that time, we knew we were in trouble, with the offense scoring only 14 points per game in the 4 game losing streak.


Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 pm
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
Posts: 226
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
I don't see it. I see a player that gets away with a lot of penalties that should be called. He does have a few pass breakups but these stats do not count penalties and yards given up as a result. Lastly, I rate someone giving up a catch on 3rd and 9 harsher than someone giving up a catch on 1st down. The context of the catches he allows often arent taken into account. Lastly, we should have better play for a player drafted with the 11th pick. For the same pick we could have Marcus Peters or Landin Collins. Either one would have been amazing.


Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:53 pm
Profile
Veteran

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:04 am
Posts: 226
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
Just wanted to add that he got drafted off of his ability to play the ball. Not sure what has happened but he simply isnt the ball hawk I saw on film in college. It's like him and Peters traded places.


Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:55 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
YikesVikes wrote:
I don't see it. I see a player that gets away with a lot of penalties that should be called. He does have a few pass breakups but these stats do not count penalties and yards given up as a result. Lastly, I rate someone giving up a catch on 3rd and 9 harsher than someone giving up a catch on 1st down. The context of the catches he allows often arent taken into account. Lastly, we should have better play for a player drafted with the 11th pick. For the same pick we could have Marcus Peters or Landin Collins. Either one would have been amazing.


Peters would never have worked here under Zimmer. He has a bad attitude.


Peters had a great game with the two takeaways... but wasn’t real interested in tackling anyone.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
808vikingsfan wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
I don't see it. I see a player that gets away with a lot of penalties that should be called. He does have a few pass breakups but these stats do not count penalties and yards given up as a result. Lastly, I rate someone giving up a catch on 3rd and 9 harsher than someone giving up a catch on 1st down. The context of the catches he allows often arent taken into account. Lastly, we should have better play for a player drafted with the 11th pick. For the same pick we could have Marcus Peters or Landin Collins. Either one would have been amazing.


Peters would never have worked here under Zimmer. He has a bad attitude.


Peters had a great game with the two takeaways... but wasn’t real interested in tackling anyone.


I said that when we drafted Waynes. Many fans would complain about Waynes and say we should've drafted Peters but there was a reason Peters wasnt picked first over Waynes. He was a notable idiot in college and its translating to the NFL. He doesnt fit the bill with this team. Everyone on this team is all about the team. Peters does what he wants when he wants and is an idiot towards the media

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7818
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.


Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.


Not Homerism at all. I'm not saying who is better. I'm saying who fits Zimmers team better. Peters is known as a hit and miss CB. He plays off his receiver and plays for the INT more than coverage. Zimmer preaches unselfishness, totally opposite of what Peters does. That tweet I linked epitomizes Peters in a nutshell. Makes you appreciate how Waynes gives himself up for the run.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6465
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 7818
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.


Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.


Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:58 am
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2581
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
808vikingsfan wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.


Not Homerism at all. I'm not saying who is better. I'm saying who fits Zimmers team better. Peters is known as a hit and miss CB. He plays off his receiver and plays for the INT more than coverage. Zimmer preaches unselfishness, totally opposite of what Peters does. That tweet I linked epitomizes Peters in a nutshell. Makes you appreciate how Waynes gives himself up for the run.


One more thing about that clip. Peters had a chance to deny a first down. If you're a teammate of his, how do you justify that?

Oh, by the way. KC's D is ranked #30. 28th in rushing, 28th in passing. They are flashy, they get on sportscenter a lot, but they're a bad defense.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:18 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.


:lol: Do you just read what you want to read?? Look back at my post. Did I ever once say Waynes is better than Peters? Did I ever once talk about Waynes or Peters play? No. I said that Peters is an idiot that doesnt know when to keep his mouth shut. I have no doubt he would butt heads with Zimmer. The guy sits there and swears in front of the media, "doesnt feel like tackling", etc. That wouldnt fly here and thats why I'm glad we drafted Waynes because Peters wouldnt have lasted with Zim. Good player or not.

He was dismissed from the team in college. He has had multiple run-ins with the media. Sits during the national anthem (something nobody on this team does). Had an issue with a fan after he was torched by the Redskins. No less, he's been very boom or bust at times. He'll either light it up and have 2 picks or get burned for 2 touchdowns.

Quote:
With a league-leading interception total, Peters is the obvious choice for Defensive Rookie of the Year for many, but as the touchdown total will suggest, there has been a lot of bad to his game as well as the good that people are all too willing to sweep under the carpet.

Peters is the most-targeted corner in the NFL this season, having been thrown at 132 times over 15 games, which is 28 more than the next corner. Truly elite players at the position do not tend to be thrown at that much, and the fact he has been suggests teams think they can beat him. Given the fact that he has surrendered 923 receiving yards and seven scores so far this season, they aren’t wrong, either. He is at least making them pay by making it a risky place to go with the football, but Peters has not been a shutdown corner this season.


^This was from his rookie year. And it's been a similar pattern ever since. Is he better than Waynes. Yes. But would I rather have him over Waynes given his issues. No. Waynes has surrendered maybe 1 TD this year? On a last second throw from Flacco. He'll randomly give up big plays but isnt really giving up touchdowns and is grabbing some picks at the same time. I'm not going to sit here for the next 3 days and compare the two with you. Bottom line is, I'm not a Peters fan. I dont like his attitude. Good player but an idiot on and off the field. I'm completely content having Trae Waynes. He is a solid CB and isnt costing us any games. No less he's 10 times better than Peters vs the run. He's played quite well this year. I dont sit here and just focus on interceptions which I feel like youre doing with Peters. There are many other factors that go into him as a player and a person

_________________
Image


Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.



Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:07 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17686
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
I am so glad, and proud, that the Vikings all stand for the Anthem. When the fame starts and they show the Anthem on TV, I stand as well, and have for years, going back to the Childress days. I will be so disappointed if any Viking ever sits out the anthem.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleMustReign wrote:
I am so glad, and proud, that the Vikings all stand for the Anthem. When the fame starts and they show the Anthem on TV, I stand as well, and have for years, going back to the Childress days. I will be so disappointed if any Viking ever sits out the anthem.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


Agreed and I think a lot of it is, 1.) Mike Zimmer and 2.) The players on this team are all about the TEAM. Not themselves like Marcus Peters for example or a Marshawn Lynch that care more about what they look like in the media over anything. I cant stand players like that.

Odell Beckham is another one. He's too focused on what celebration he's going to do next and clearly has no problem costing his team yardage after a TD or after a guy like Rhodes shuts him down. There is no room for that anymore in the NFL. You want to be an idiot? Then you'll find yourself on the street or traded to a dying franchise. Kaepernick found himself on the street. Wouldnt be surprised if Beckham eventually runs himself right out of New York and takes big money from a desperate franchise like the Browns just because they dont have anyone worth a damn on their roster. Peters is the same way.

This is what a fan had to say to the Denver post regarding Peters:

Quote:
“He’s a major pain in the” butt, Merfen says.

“I’d like to see him gone.”

Schuler shakes his head, unable to understand. Though many of the fans gathered here are friends and this season has mostly been a celebration, a debate has split them and it boils down to this: In 2017, which is more important to a fan base — reaching the Super Bowl or the preservation of some cultural ideal?

“He disrupts the way people think a football player should be,”



And regarding Beckham:

Quote:
Can we finally just blow up this team? It's embarrassing to see all the talk on sports radio, ESPN, newspapers is about Beckham's epic meltdown. He embarrassed himself and the Giants organization.

It's obvious Coughlin has lost this team. Coughlin refused to bench Beckham because he was more interested in saving his job yesterday while Beckham almost broke another players jaw or gave him a concussion. All that talk about discipline and team went right out the window yesterday with Coughlin.


Quote:
What happened to "shut your mouth and play the game?" Beckham should have let this nonsense go in one ear and out the other. Then he should have gone out and lit Carolina up. That's the way professional athletes are supposed to handle this situation. Beckham lost his composure and his team lost the game.


Fans even get sick of watching it. Like I said, there isnt much room for that anymore in the NFL. Like the guy said above, "shut your mouth and play the game". I say that all the time when I coach both lacrosse and football. And thats exactly what our players do and its exactly what the Vikings players do. And I am proud to say that I am a fan of this team.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:48 am
Profile
Backup
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:21 am
Posts: 55
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
Sitting or standing for an anthem shouldn't matter to anyone. If someone wants to kneel during an anthem, cool beans. If you want to stand, cool beans. Besides, I hate the SSB as a song and think America the Beautiful is much more fitting and elegant.

Also, I'll take someone who is average but knows when to shut up compared to someone great who can't keep it zipped. Case and point Richard Sherman.


Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
Rhodes Closed wrote:
Sitting or standing for an anthem shouldn't matter to anyone. If someone wants to kneel during an anthem, cool beans. If you want to stand, cool beans. Besides, I hate the SSB as a song and think America the Beautiful is much more fitting and elegant.

Also, I'll take someone who is average but knows when to shut up compared to someone great who can't keep it zipped. Case and point Richard Sherman.


I dont want to start a whole thing up on the anthem but what I'm saying is, I just feel like a lot of these players are doing it for attention. And it seems to always be who?? The guys that cant keep their mouths shut. Beckham, Peters, Lynch, the Bennett brothers, DeSean Jackson, etc. You wouldnt ever see a guy like Teddy do something like that. Or Danielle Hunter. Or any of our guys to be honest. Its a very selfish act that screams "ME, ME, ME" while the Vikings players are all about the team and winning and could care less about the drama behind all that crap. The guys doing it are attention getters. Simple as that. They care more about the media and what they look like on TV than winning a SB

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6465
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.


Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.

OK, let's say you were right all along about Marcus Peters. Let's say Waynes gets waived next month and Peters makes the Hall of Fame.

What does that get you? Fame? Fortune? Message board cred? Scantily clad women begging to pleasure you?

No matter what you or I believe, Trae Waynes will continue to start at cornerback, and our opinions will forever be ignored by Vikings brass.

Besides, I've been "right" a hundred times on this board. I would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but the Vikings took Erasmus James instead. What difference does it make now?

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Scantily clad women begging to pleasure you?


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleKoolaid wrote:

Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.


Case better than Brady?? First of all, Peters isnt equivalent to a Tom Brady and Trae Waynes is much better than a Case Keenum type player. Peters is better but the gap isnt THAT significant.

Again, you say Peters covered right away his rookie year?? Look at your post that I addressed above. Peters was far from a shutdown corner. Was burned for almost 1000 yards and 7 TDs that season. But since he had a lot of picks that must make him good

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:58 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2867
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Besides, I've been "right" a hundred times on this board. I would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but the Vikings took Erasmus James instead. What difference does it make now?
So the last decade is your fault, eh?


Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6465
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
DK Sweets wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Besides, I've been "right" a hundred times on this board. I would have drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005, but the Vikings took Erasmus James instead. What difference does it make now?
So the last decade is your fault, eh?

Guilty. :spanking:

_________________
Image
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.


Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:37 pm
Profile
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10607
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
[modhat]The anthem stuff belongs in the politics section. [/modhat]

Regarding hindsight, I think we all have those guys that we're upset never got picked. I thought we should have taken Martavis Bryant and Juju Smith. I also thought David Yankey was going to be good and probably 50 other busts. We tend to remember the hits and forget the misses.

At the end of the day, we have a great defense so more fortune than not.


Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm
Profile
Backup

Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:47 pm
Posts: 84
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.



Great way to sum it up!!


Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:33 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
S197 wrote:
[modhat]The anthem stuff belongs in the politics section. [/modhat]

Regarding hindsight, I think we all have those guys that we're upset never got picked. I thought we should have taken Martavis Bryant and Juju Smith. I also thought David Yankey was going to be good and probably 50 other busts. We tend to remember the hits and forget the misses.

At the end of the day, we have a great defense so more fortune than not.


Agreed on Yankey. I was the same way. I also thought Bucky Hodges wouldve been good......then he was cut :|

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:05 am
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17686
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
S197 wrote:
[modhat]The anthem stuff belongs in the politics section. [/modhat]

Regarding hindsight, I think we all have those guys that we're upset never got picked. I thought we should have taken Martavis Bryant and Juju Smith. I also thought David Yankey was going to be good and probably 50 other busts. We tend to remember the hits and forget the misses.

At the end of the day, we have a great defense so more fortune than not.


Agreed on Yankey. I was the same way. I also thought Bucky Hodges wouldve been good......then he was cut :|
Didn't Yankey get cut his rookie year?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4538
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Didn't Yankey get cut his rookie year?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


I believe so. Either that or his second year.

I do remember the one player in recent years I wanted the Vikings to get more than anyone was DeAndre Hopkins. I legit put him in every mock I did. Sad thing is, if Floyd didnt fall to us at 23, we would've landed Rhodes and Hopkins that year. We were honed in on a CB and a WR. Floyd was suppose to go 3rd overall to Oakland. We had picks 23 and 25 that year. Hopkins went at 27. Would've been a no-brainer but instead we trade away a boat load for CP all because of that Floyd pick.

I dont fault Spielman for taking Floyd at all. Floyd was a very effective DT when healthy. Nobody could have predicted this would happen to him. However, I do fault Spielman for trading that much away for CP. If it was Hopkins sitting there at 31, then I would've been 100% for it and obviously it would have paid off but to trade that much for a guy that played 1 year of legit college football, was a dumb move. But basically, it all stemmed from drafting Floyd and was just a domino effect from there.

_________________
Image


Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3481
Post Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
Didn't Yankey get cut his rookie year?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk


I believe so. Either that or his second year.

I do remember the one player in recent years I wanted the Vikings to get more than anyone was DeAndre Hopkins. I legit put him in every mock I did. Sad thing is, if Floyd didnt fall to us at 23, we would've landed Rhodes and Hopkins that year. We were honed in on a CB and a WR. Floyd was suppose to go 3rd overall to Oakland. We had picks 23 and 25 that year. Hopkins went at 27. Would've been a no-brainer but instead we trade away a boat load for CP all because of that Floyd pick.

I dont fault Spielman for taking Floyd at all. Floyd was a very effective DT when healthy. Nobody could have predicted this would happen to him. However, I do fault Spielman for trading that much away for CP. If it was Hopkins sitting there at 31, then I would've been 100% for it and obviously it would have paid off but to trade that much for a guy that played 1 year of legit college football, was a dumb move. But basically, it all stemmed from drafting Floyd and was just a domino effect from there.



I remember you banging the drum hard for Hopkins, and I think you're right that the unexpected drop of Floyd likely impeded us from getting him.
It's refreshing to read a critique of Spielman from you, too. It makes your overall positive opinion of him more convincing somehow. :thumbsup:

Lastly, I have read all the debates about our QB situation this past week, but I've stayed quiet because, well, for one I'm busy... but ultimately it seems to me that it will come down to things that WE AS FANS CANNOT SEE. Namely, how healthy and ready do Sam and Teddy look in practice? If they don't look super ready and oozing with confidence and a thirst to get on the field and lead this team to SB glory, then if I were coach I'd stick with Case.

Sam and Teddy are both coming back from serious injuries and the only people who know where they are at are the coaches. It's almost pointless for us to debate about it because there is just so much speculation involved.


Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:42 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 288 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], UK Phil, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.