Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Re: Vikings @ Browns Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 8

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

"Let's not forget we were 6-1 going into the Bye week last season, and we all know where that led to."

Pretty sure they're going into this bye with a different mentality. ;) Because it this, it can't be compared by numbers; Too many different mindset variables. And because of THAT, I think they have an upper hand over them going into the bye last year. Worry not, this IS a different deal. ;)
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

There's NO way in hell they're approaching the bye the same way this year.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

dead_poet wrote:Looks like 10 is the NFL record. Simeon Fletcher.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/sacks

Above, 8 for team.

Most consecutive games, sack: 11, Jared Allen, 2011–2012

Most consecutive games, sack
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The-Purple-Reign wrote:"Let's not forget we were 6-1 going into the Bye week last season, and we all know where that led to."

Pretty sure they're going into this bye with a different mentality. ;) Because it this, it can't be compared by numbers; Too many different mindset variables. And because of THAT, I think they have an upper hand over them going into the bye last year. Worry not, this IS a different deal. ;)

They were also going into the bye at 5-0, not 6-1. Where did 6-1 come from?
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

808vikingsfan wrote: They were also going into the bye at 5-0, not 6-1. Where did 6-1 come from?
What he said! The Vikes won their 6th game to go 6-4 last year, against the Cards. By that time, we knew we were in trouble, with the offense scoring only 14 points per game in the 4 game losing streak.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

I don't see it. I see a player that gets away with a lot of penalties that should be called. He does have a few pass breakups but these stats do not count penalties and yards given up as a result. Lastly, I rate someone giving up a catch on 3rd and 9 harsher than someone giving up a catch on 1st down. The context of the catches he allows often arent taken into account. Lastly, we should have better play for a player drafted with the 11th pick. For the same pick we could have Marcus Peters or Landin Collins. Either one would have been amazing.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Just wanted to add that he got drafted off of his ability to play the ball. Not sure what has happened but he simply isnt the ball hawk I saw on film in college. It's like him and Peters traded places.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

YikesVikes wrote:I don't see it. I see a player that gets away with a lot of penalties that should be called. He does have a few pass breakups but these stats do not count penalties and yards given up as a result. Lastly, I rate someone giving up a catch on 3rd and 9 harsher than someone giving up a catch on 1st down. The context of the catches he allows often arent taken into account. Lastly, we should have better play for a player drafted with the 11th pick. For the same pick we could have Marcus Peters or Landin Collins. Either one would have been amazing.
Peters would never have worked here under Zimmer. He has a bad attitude.

Peters had a great game with the two takeaways... but wasn’t real interested in tackling anyone.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

808vikingsfan wrote: Peters would never have worked here under Zimmer. He has a bad attitude.

Peters had a great game with the two takeaways... but wasn’t real interested in tackling anyone.
I said that when we drafted Waynes. Many fans would complain about Waynes and say we should've drafted Peters but there was a reason Peters wasnt picked first over Waynes. He was a notable idiot in college and its translating to the NFL. He doesnt fit the bill with this team. Everyone on this team is all about the team. Peters does what he wants when he wants and is an idiot towards the media
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.
Not Homerism at all. I'm not saying who is better. I'm saying who fits Zimmers team better. Peters is known as a hit and miss CB. He plays off his receiver and plays for the INT more than coverage. Zimmer preaches unselfishness, totally opposite of what Peters does. That tweet I linked epitomizes Peters in a nutshell. Makes you appreciate how Waynes gives himself up for the run.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I'm just fine with Trae Waynes. He's playing good football, and he plays the run well. We can sit here and talk about who we woulda or shoulda drafted, but doing that is just an excuse to complain.

We've got a good team. We've got a good coach. We're in a great position to win our division. I couldn't care less about Marcus Peters.
Waynes is just now actually able to cover some times. Peters started right away as a rookie, and is still one of the best. Picking Waynes before Peters was a horrible idea, and ive never gotten over it, and ofc I know theres nothing I can do about it. It just doesnt make sense to say they are even close to each other in terms of talent. Thats like saying Case is better then Brady, because we have Case playing for us, and is winning some games. IMO he wont be in the near future, and certainly not in the playoffs.

And I wasnt high on Peters just because he played so well right away. I wanted him way before draft day. I think DP and I were the only ones talking about him. We have to be better then thinking our coaching staff cant handle problem players, if thats what people call Peters.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

808vikingsfan wrote: Not Homerism at all. I'm not saying who is better. I'm saying who fits Zimmers team better. Peters is known as a hit and miss CB. He plays off his receiver and plays for the INT more than coverage. Zimmer preaches unselfishness, totally opposite of what Peters does. That tweet I linked epitomizes Peters in a nutshell. Makes you appreciate how Waynes gives himself up for the run.
One more thing about that clip. Peters had a chance to deny a first down. If you're a teammate of his, how do you justify that?

Oh, by the way. KC's D is ranked #30. 28th in rushing, 28th in passing. They are flashy, they get on sportscenter a lot, but they're a bad defense.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:My lord, your saying Waynes is better corner then Peters? Peters is so far superior you cant even compare the two. I seen a lot of homer-ism on this board, but that takes the cake. And having no faith Zimmer can coach a DB with a few 'issues' is insanity. Waybes is barely an average cover cb, Peters is one of the very best, in the entire NFL.
:lol: Do you just read what you want to read?? Look back at my post. Did I ever once say Waynes is better than Peters? Did I ever once talk about Waynes or Peters play? No. I said that Peters is an idiot that doesnt know when to keep his mouth shut. I have no doubt he would butt heads with Zimmer. The guy sits there and swears in front of the media, "doesnt feel like tackling", etc. That wouldnt fly here and thats why I'm glad we drafted Waynes because Peters wouldnt have lasted with Zim. Good player or not.

He was dismissed from the team in college. He has had multiple run-ins with the media. Sits during the national anthem (something nobody on this team does). Had an issue with a fan after he was torched by the Redskins. No less, he's been very boom or bust at times. He'll either light it up and have 2 picks or get burned for 2 touchdowns.
With a league-leading interception total, Peters is the obvious choice for Defensive Rookie of the Year for many, but as the touchdown total will suggest, there has been a lot of bad to his game as well as the good that people are all too willing to sweep under the carpet.

Peters is the most-targeted corner in the NFL this season, having been thrown at 132 times over 15 games, which is 28 more than the next corner. Truly elite players at the position do not tend to be thrown at that much, and the fact he has been suggests teams think they can beat him. Given the fact that he has surrendered 923 receiving yards and seven scores so far this season, they aren’t wrong, either. He is at least making them pay by making it a risky place to go with the football, but Peters has not been a shutdown corner this season.
^This was from his rookie year. And it's been a similar pattern ever since. Is he better than Waynes. Yes. But would I rather have him over Waynes given his issues. No. Waynes has surrendered maybe 1 TD this year? On a last second throw from Flacco. He'll randomly give up big plays but isnt really giving up touchdowns and is grabbing some picks at the same time. I'm not going to sit here for the next 3 days and compare the two with you. Bottom line is, I'm not a Peters fan. I dont like his attitude. Good player but an idiot on and off the field. I'm completely content having Trae Waynes. He is a solid CB and isnt costing us any games. No less he's 10 times better than Peters vs the run. He's played quite well this year. I dont sit here and just focus on interceptions which I feel like youre doing with Peters. There are many other factors that go into him as a player and a person
Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri