Sendejo Suspended 1 game.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Sendejo Suspended 1 game.

Post by YikesVikes »

Details and links coming
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Sendejo Suspended 1 game.

Post by Texas Vike »

YikesVikes wrote:Details and links coming
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2113 ... ore-ravens
"The violation was flagrant and warrants a suspension because it could have been avoided," Jon Runyan, NFL Vice President of Football Operations said in a letter to Sendejo, "and was violently directed at the head and neck area and unreasonably placed both you and an opposing player at risk of serious injury."
:twisted:
2bnamedlater
Starter

Post by 2bnamedlater »

Just a lot of nonsense. The receiver got a concussion because his helmet came off and he hit the back of his head on that carpet covered asphalt. This keeps up and they'll be playing flag football.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What the hell! This is ludicrous! I hope he appeals and wins. It's the stupidest suspension ever.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Sendejo the fall guy for Barrs hit on Erin.
Sure hope he appeals it. Zimmer said he was going to talk to the NFL front office.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I hope Zimmer gets involved. A hard hit does not mean an illegal hit. I didn't see any head to head or helmet. Or are they calling it on shoulder hits now?
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Of course it could have been avoided. (What a stupid statement) Football players can always choose to allow players to catch passes uncontested and let the opposing team score touchdowns on every drive. I saw nothing other than a hard hit and I think it is a knee-jerk (over) reaction against a player. I hope Sendejo appeals and wins.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I understand the reasoning but if you watch it in slow motion it looks clean. Wallace dips/tucks at the last second and Sendejo and his arms missile in probably thinking it's still one of his teammates. The helmet flying off probably is the main culprit, though I can't figure out how it does unless Sendejo's biceps lift it off as he's trying to jar the ball loose. Either way I expect him to lose the appeal given how bad it appeared and the helmet.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:I understand the reasoning but if you watch it in slow motion it looks clean. Wallace dips/tucks at the last second and Sendejo and his arms missile in probably thinking it's still one of his teammates. The helmet flying off probably is the main culprit, though I can't figure out how it does unless Sendejo's biceps lift it off as he's trying to jar the ball loose. Either way I expect him to lose the appeal given how bad it appeared and the helmet.
I agree with your observations. I get the sense that he's being made an example of. What's ironic is that I think we would all admit that Sendejo IS, indeed, reckless and a little too keen to lay the lumber instead of playing smart. But this was a clean hit. If the NFL waited around a bit, I'm sure they'd have an idiotic one to suspend him on soon.

At least we play the Browns next.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

So let's see here ...

Vontaze Burfict, a man with multiple suspensions for dirty play, kicks Roosevelt Nix in the face with both feet. No suspension.

Andrew Sendejo inadvertently hits the helmet of a falling ball carrier with his shoulder. Suspended.

Whoever said the league is punishing the Vikings for ending Erin Rodgers' season hit the nail squarely on the head.

By the way, Andrew Sendejo is not reckless. He plays the game hard, and he plays it clean. And in the Something I Thought I'd Never Say Department ... I believe Sendejo has made himself into one of the better safeties in the league. He's always in the right place, he's a sure tackler, and he's fearless. Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:So let's see here ...

Vontaze Burfict, a man with multiple suspensions for dirty play, kicks Roosevelt Nix in the face with both feet. No suspension.

Andrew Sendejo inadvertently hits the helmet of a falling ball carrier with his shoulder. Suspended.

Whoever said the league is punishing the Vikings for ending Erin Rodgers' season hit the nail squarely on the head.

By the way, Andrew Sendejo is not reckless. He plays the game hard, and he plays it clean. And in the Something I Thought I'd Never Say Department ... I believe Sendejo has made himself into one of the better safeties in the league. He's always in the right place, he's a sure tackler, and he's fearless. Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.
He's learned some self-control, but that's the most I could grant your argument. He's been so reckless as to hurt his own players in his by now trademarked missile launches. The guy hits hard, which I love, and I agree that this was not worthy of a suspension and possibly not even the penalty called in-game, but to deny that he's reckless is to see the world through heavily tinted purple glasses.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote: He's learned some self-control, but that's the most I could grant your argument. He's been so reckless as to hurt his own players in his by now trademarked missile launches. The guy hits hard, which I love, and I agree that this was not worthy of a suspension and possibly not even the penalty called in-game, but to deny that he's reckless is to see the world through heavily tinted purple glasses.
Yeah. He still goes full speed and hopes his aim is right because if he misses, there's no recovery possibility. I'd also say he's not in position all the time but he's better than a couple of season ago. He's like a very poor man's Bob Sanders. He's the best we have but I wouldn't keep searching for an upgrade.his coverage skills aren't non-replaceable.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.
:appl:
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
ThePiper
Transition Player

Post by ThePiper »

Like everyone else said, I believe this is punishment for injuring Rodgers. It's BS, and I hope there is an appeal. Sendejo has slowly turned himself into one of my favorite players. I LOVE the way he plays the game, and how hard he hits. Reminds me of old-school football. Which is weird for me to say this, as I could not stand the guy when he first started playing. He used to be nothing but a liability.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

ThePiper wrote:Like everyone else said, I believe this is punishment for injuring Rodgers. It's BS, and I hope there is an appeal. Sendejo has slowly turned himself into one of my favorite players. I LOVE the way he plays the game, and how hard he hits. Reminds me of old-school football. Which is weird for me to say this, as I could not stand the guy when he first started playing. He used to be nothing but a liability.
Agree.

He WAS a liability maybe 3 years ago. But he's really taken to the coaching he's been given, and he's turned into a pretty nice rags-to-riches story. Another undrafted success for the Vikings.

And for someone who isn't all that great in coverage, the Vikings sure are a hard team to throw against. A lot of that is due to the pass rush, and a lot of it is due to Smith and Rhodes, but there are 2-3 other DBs back there, and if they were THAT weak, opponents would exploit them. I like our DBs and would put them up against any in the league.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.