View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sendejo Suspended 1 game. 
Veteran

Post Sendejo Suspended 1 game.
Details and links coming

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post Re: Sendejo Suspended 1 game.
YikesVikes wrote:
Details and links coming

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2113 ... ore-ravens

Quote:
"The violation was flagrant and warrants a suspension because it could have been avoided," Jon Runyan, NFL Vice President of Football Operations said in a letter to Sendejo, "and was violently directed at the head and neck area and unreasonably placed both you and an opposing player at risk of serious injury."

:twisted:

Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:29 pm
Starter

Just a lot of nonsense. The receiver got a concussion because his helmet came off and he hit the back of his head on that carpet covered asphalt. This keeps up and they'll be playing flag football.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:10 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

What the hell! This is ludicrous! I hope he appeals and wins. It's the stupidest suspension ever.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:48 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Pro Elite Player

Sendejo the fall guy for Barrs hit on Erin.
Sure hope he appeals it. Zimmer said he was going to talk to the NFL front office.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm
Hall of Famer

I hope Zimmer gets involved. A hard hit does not mean an illegal hit. I didn't see any head to head or helmet. Or are they calling it on shoulder hits now?

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 pm
Hall of Famer

Texas Vike wrote:
YikesVikes wrote:
Details and links coming

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2113 ... ore-ravens

Quote:
"The violation was flagrant and warrants a suspension because it could have been avoided," Jon Runyan, NFL Vice President of Football Operations said in a letter to Sendejo, "and was violently directed at the head and neck area and unreasonably placed both you and an opposing player at risk of serious injury."

:twisted:

Of course it could have been avoided. (What a stupid statement) Football players can always choose to allow players to catch passes uncontested and let the opposing team score touchdowns on every drive. I saw nothing other than a hard hit and I think it is a knee-jerk (over) reaction against a player. I hope Sendejo appeals and wins.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:22 am
Commissioner

I understand the reasoning but if you watch it in slow motion it looks clean. Wallace dips/tucks at the last second and Sendejo and his arms missile in probably thinking it's still one of his teammates. The helmet flying off probably is the main culprit, though I can't figure out how it does unless Sendejo's biceps lift it off as he's trying to jar the ball loose. Either way I expect him to lose the appeal given how bad it appeared and the helmet.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

dead_poet wrote:
I understand the reasoning but if you watch it in slow motion it looks clean. Wallace dips/tucks at the last second and Sendejo and his arms missile in probably thinking it's still one of his teammates. The helmet flying off probably is the main culprit, though I can't figure out how it does unless Sendejo's biceps lift it off as he's trying to jar the ball loose. Either way I expect him to lose the appeal given how bad it appeared and the helmet.

I agree with your observations. I get the sense that he's being made an example of. What's ironic is that I think we would all admit that Sendejo IS, indeed, reckless and a little too keen to lay the lumber instead of playing smart. But this was a clean hit. If the NFL waited around a bit, I'm sure they'd have an idiotic one to suspend him on soon.

At least we play the Browns next.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 am
Hall of Famer

So let's see here ...

Vontaze Burfict, a man with multiple suspensions for dirty play, kicks Roosevelt Nix in the face with both feet. No suspension.

Andrew Sendejo inadvertently hits the helmet of a falling ball carrier with his shoulder. Suspended.

Whoever said the league is punishing the Vikings for ending Erin Rodgers' season hit the nail squarely on the head.

By the way, Andrew Sendejo is not reckless. He plays the game hard, and he plays it clean. And in the Something I Thought I'd Never Say Department ... I believe Sendejo has made himself into one of the better safeties in the league. He's always in the right place, he's a sure tackler, and he's fearless. Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
So let's see here ...

Vontaze Burfict, a man with multiple suspensions for dirty play, kicks Roosevelt Nix in the face with both feet. No suspension.

Andrew Sendejo inadvertently hits the helmet of a falling ball carrier with his shoulder. Suspended.

Whoever said the league is punishing the Vikings for ending Erin Rodgers' season hit the nail squarely on the head.

By the way, Andrew Sendejo is not reckless. He plays the game hard, and he plays it clean. And in the Something I Thought I'd Never Say Department ... I believe Sendejo has made himself into one of the better safeties in the league. He's always in the right place, he's a sure tackler, and he's fearless. Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.

He's learned some self-control, but that's the most I could grant your argument. He's been so reckless as to hurt his own players in his by now trademarked missile launches. The guy hits hard, which I love, and I agree that this was not worthy of a suspension and possibly not even the penalty called in-game, but to deny that he's reckless is to see the world through heavily tinted purple glasses.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 am
Commissioner

Texas Vike wrote:
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
So let's see here ...

He's learned some self-control, but that's the most I could grant your argument. He's been so reckless as to hurt his own players in his by now trademarked missile launches. The guy hits hard, which I love, and I agree that this was not worthy of a suspension and possibly not even the penalty called in-game, but to deny that he's reckless is to see the world through heavily tinted purple glasses.

Yeah. He still goes full speed and hopes his aim is right because if he misses, there's no recovery possibility. I'd also say he's not in position all the time but he's better than a couple of season ago. He's like a very poor man's Bob Sanders. He's the best we have but I wouldn't keep searching for an upgrade.his coverage skills aren't non-replaceable.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Does he hit hard? You're darned right he does. He's supposed to hit hard. That's not reckless. It's good football.

:appl:

Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:53 am
Veteran

Like everyone else said, I believe this is punishment for injuring Rodgers. It's BS, and I hope there is an appeal. Sendejo has slowly turned himself into one of my favorite players. I LOVE the way he plays the game, and how hard he hits. Reminds me of old-school football. Which is weird for me to say this, as I could not stand the guy when he first started playing. He used to be nothing but a liability.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:30 pm
Hall of Famer

ThePiper wrote:
Like everyone else said, I believe this is punishment for injuring Rodgers. It's BS, and I hope there is an appeal. Sendejo has slowly turned himself into one of my favorite players. I LOVE the way he plays the game, and how hard he hits. Reminds me of old-school football. Which is weird for me to say this, as I could not stand the guy when he first started playing. He used to be nothing but a liability.

Agree.

He WAS a liability maybe 3 years ago. But he's really taken to the coaching he's been given, and he's turned into a pretty nice rags-to-riches story. Another undrafted success for the Vikings.

And for someone who isn't all that great in coverage, the Vikings sure are a hard team to throw against. A lot of that is due to the pass rush, and a lot of it is due to Smith and Rhodes, but there are 2-3 other DBs back there, and if they were THAT weak, opponents would exploit them. I like our DBs and would put them up against any in the league.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:47 pm
Hall of Fame Candidate

I agree with what Zimmer said on this call. Wallace took like 5 steps before he got tackled. At that point he was a runner, not a defenseless player. Also, as Kapp pointed out, he was in the process of falling when Sandejo hit him. At some point the league really needs to take into account how fast this game is played. It isn't like Sandejo can suddenly stop when he sees Wallace start to fall.

The play was no where near as dirty as the one with Burfect.

Another play in a similar vein was that roughing the passer call that Tom Johnson received either last week or the week before. He fell into the QB's legs and what should have been a successful 3rd down defense turns into 1st and 10 for the offense due to a bogus call. There was a drive for Green Bay earlier in the season where they had 5 3rd down conversions and 3 of them were due to penalty. That is obnoxious.

The rules in the NFL are a mess. Never before have the officials had more say in games than they do in this era with all the weird, almost impossible to officiate rules that the NFL has tried to impose. Hopefully the NFL will figure out this mess this offseason. They let the Concussion thing get way out of hand as well as the passing rules, then they had the off the field violence issues and whole national anthem debacle. They need to stop trying to appease everybody because all it has done is tarnished their product, eroded what was once an excellent competitive environment, and ultimately distracted their audience from the football. They need to stop trying Lawyer all the rules and get rid of all the distractions. Take the politics out the game and get back to producing a competitive game that is infinitely watchable.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm
Starting Wide Receiver

For those saying Sendejo can't cover, safeties don't cover very often. There aren't many safeties good at covering.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:07 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Famer

Sendejo lost his appeal. He will not play on Sunday.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 am
Hall of Famer

Just Me wrote:
Sendejo lost his appeal. He will not play on Sunday.

Best possible outcome for us, I suppose. The Browns have no passing game. And no running game. We'll miss him the least against the Browns.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am
Hall of Famer

A 1 game suspension is a bit harsh... but I think it deserved a fine. Sendejo plays with a little too much aggression at times. We've all seen it. Wallace was in no position to advance the ball and Sendejo launched on him. Hurt him, too.

Just keeping it real... and thankful we play the Browns this week.

:govikes:

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:44 am
Career Elite Player

Yeah, a fine makes a ton of sense (anybody who says Sandejo isn't reckless obviously doesn't have the same sphincter spasms I have every time he cleans up a tackle with a teammate near) but a suspension seems....off.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 pm
Transition Player

DK Sweets wrote:
Yeah, a fine makes a ton of sense (anybody who says Sandejo isn't reckless obviously doesn't have the same sphincter spasms I have every time he cleans up a tackle with a teammate near) but a suspension seems....off.

I agree. A fine was definitely warranted IMO. I think a suspension is too much, but this is how the league is over-reacting these days. So, it's not terribly surprising sadly. This is the NFL front office trying to show the public that they care about player safety. It's BS, but they are fighting a reputation of having the exact opposite viewpoint, so they make examples of players. However, Sandejo is not exactly innocent either.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Career Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
I agree with what Zimmer said on this call. Wallace took like 5 steps before he got tackled.

Completely disagree. If you watch the video again, Wallace takes 6 steps (not 5!) after securing the catch before the hit. :D

Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm
Career Elite Player

Diggs

Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:53 pm
Hall of Famer

The hit was clean. It wasnt a late hit, or to the head. All it is, is payback for Barr touching Erin. Period.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 am
Transition Player

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The hit was clean....

I agree with this opinion, although I thought the flag was nothing more than a reaction to Wallace losing his helmet and hitting his head on the turf, not payback for Barr's hit on Rodgers.

The fact that the NFL reviewed the hit and suspended Sendejo a game just blows me away.

In reality, it should have prompted the NFL to start looking for ways to better secure a helmet on a players head.

Maybe disallowing players from having ridiculously long bushy dreadlocks that cause a them to wear oversized helmets would be a good place to start, but I'm afraid I'm just showing my age with that opinion and that obviously had nothing to do with Wallace losing his.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 am
Starting Wide Receiver

w_huisman wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The hit was clean....

I agree with this opinion, although I thought the flag was nothing more than a reaction to Wallace losing his helmet and hitting his head on the turf, not payback for Barr's hit on Rodgers.

The fact that the NFL reviewed the hit and suspended Sendejo a game just blows me away.

In reality, it should have prompted the NFL to start looking for ways to better secure a helmet on a players head.

Maybe disallowing players from having ridiculously long bushy dreadlocks that cause a them to wear oversized helmets would be a good place to start, but I'm afraid I'm just showing my age with that opinion and that obviously had nothing to do with Wallace losing his.
If they are going to suspend for this type of thing, then suspend every time this penalty is called, whether it's warranted or not. Because this is just stupid.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:50 am
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

PurpleMustReign wrote:
w_huisman wrote:
PurpleKoolaid wrote:
The hit was clean....

If they are going to suspend for this type of thing, then suspend every time this penalty is called, whether it's warranted or not. Because this is just stupid.

Or they should just outlaw forced fumbles. That way the defender won't try and jar fumbles loose with a hit.

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:21 pm
Hall of Famer

Just because I don't want this to be buried in the "NFL Talk" section ...

I think it sucks that Andrew Sendejo got suspended for playing hard, but Ezekiel Elliott has once again avoids serving his suspension for beating a woman.

There. I connected it to this thread. And it still sucks. Hope Kansas City rips Dallas a new one.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 pm
Commissioner

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Just because I don't want this to be buried in the "NFL Talk" section ...

I think it sucks that Andrew Sendejo got suspended for playing hard, but Ezekiel Elliott has once again avoids serving his suspension for beating a woman.

There. I connected it to this thread. And it still sucks. Hope Kansas City rips Dallas a new one.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't ultimately suspended the rest of the regular season.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next