Treadwell

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

2bnamedlater
Starter

Treadwell

Post by 2bnamedlater »

After seeing that catch yesterday I wonder why Treadwell isn't targeted more often. Catches like that were routine for him in college and I know that's just college, but he was making them against the same Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia ..... defenders he's facing now and was still a superstar. I know that the knock on him is that he's not a "burner" but we knew that when we took him as our #1 pick. His forte always was his route running and his ability to take the ball away from defenders whether he was covered or not, just like he did yesterday. Why the heck aren't we utilizing him more than we are, especially in the red-zone where straight-line speed is irrelevant?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Treadwell

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I think it's gaining the in-game confidence of his quarterbacks.

Let's face it, if you don't produce on the field during games, you don't get targeted. Thielen gets a ton of targets because his QBs trust him. Treadwell hasn't earned that yet. However, if you noticed, after that catch, Keenum looked his way more often. Some of it is the little things, like blocking. He did a great job blocking downfield against the Pack -- the screen TD pass to McKinnon comes to mind.

If Laquon keeps getting open and keeps earning trust, he'll get more targets.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I think it's gaining the in-game confidence of his quarterbacks.

Let's face it, if you don't produce on the field during games, you don't get targeted. Thielen gets a ton of targets because his QBs trust him. Treadwell hasn't earned that yet. However, if you noticed, after that catch, Keenum looked his way more often. Some of it is the little things, like blocking. He did a great job blocking downfield against the Pack -- the screen TD pass to McKinnon comes to mind.

Well said!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Yeah, right now Case knows AT runs good routes. If Treedwell figures that out, can you imagine him in the endzone. Kyle plau tread will be hard to stop.
2bnamedlater
Starter

Post by 2bnamedlater »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I think it's gaining the in-game confidence of his quarterbacks.

All that may be true but Case doesn't just drop back and look for an open receiver. He has a progression to go through based on what play is called. If Treadwell is in that progression, he'll get thrown to. It seems that more times than not, Treadwell isn't in that progression and is running clearing routes which means that he hasn't gained the confidence of the coaching staff. Case plainly said in his post-game that he wasn't surprised that Treadwell made the catch because he makes plays like that in practice.

Anyway, I hope we start giving him more shots in the red-zone which has been where he's been best throughout his high school and college careers.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

2bnamedlater wrote: All that may be true but Case doesn't just drop back and look for an open receiver. He has a progression to go through based on what play is called. If Treadwell is in that progression, he'll get thrown to. It seems that more times than not, Treadwell isn't in that progression and is running clearing routes which means that he hasn't gained the confidence of the coaching staff. Case plainly said in his post-game that he wasn't surprised that Treadwell made the catch because he makes plays like that in practice.

Anyway, I hope we start giving him more shots in the red-zone which has been where he's been best throughout his high school and college careers.
So we're you actually asking a question? Cause it sounds like you already have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
2bnamedlater
Starter

Post by 2bnamedlater »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: So we're you actually asking a question? Cause it sounds like you already have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was more rhetorical than anything else. Just sayin'.