Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!

Post by 808vikingsfan »

mosscarter wrote:I've made my view clear on Teddy I cannot understand the blind support of this guy as a franchise quarterback. If you actually look at his statistics over two years, they are close or as bad as any starting quarterback in the league. I think he averages 1 touchdown pass per game at best (that is pathetic). People tend to say, "he wins games." Well, that is easy to do with that defense and Peterson rushing for 1,500 yards. I would rather have Keenum in there Teddy has a noodle arm and quite frankly I don't care if he is a nice guy.
This is probably the 3rd time I'm posting this but do you know how many times the Vikings won 11 or more games in a season when they had Peterson? Twice. Once with Favre and the other with Bridgewater. It's harder than you think.

And stats don't equal wins.
Last edited by 808vikingsfan on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

dead_poet wrote: There is no room for your rational takes online.
Roger that!!
Nobody knows how Teddy is going to respone...bottom line
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

808vikingsfan wrote: This is probably the 3rd time I'm posting this but do you know how many times the Vikings won 11 or more games in a season when they had Peterson? Twice. Once with Favre and the other with Bridgewater. It's harder than you think.

And stats don't equal wins.
His absolute hatred for Teddy have never made sense.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

While I understood the pessimism based off of the severity of Teddy's injury up until this point, I'm not sure why a few are so adamant that it still seems so unlikely he plays this season when he's getting cleared by the doctor. His situation has progressed and we know more information now, so to say he won't play is subjective. He wouldn't be cleared if there was a high potential for re-injury. I'm not saying it's unlikely he has a setback in the next 3 week or anything, but he wouldn't get cleared if his knee wasn't stable and able to go through an NFL regimen.

If you really want to question something then I would wonder how his mental makeup will be once he's under duress in the pocket and such.He's shown us to have a great attitude and an unflappable spirit, but how he handles and reacts to coming back and playing after that injury is not something we will know. That's all with Teddy.

I found it interesting that in Ian Rapoport's reports on the matter that he said the Vikings expect Teddy to play this season. If there is no setbacks in the next 4 weeks then I feel confident in saying that Teddy will be back under center at some point before seasons end.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I get it... you dont like Keenum. If I had my choice he wouldn't be the starter either. But, that is the hand we are dealt. The coaching staff can prepare Teddy all they like but until Keenum goes down or we start losing because of him they should not even think about putting him in.
I know your comments weren't directed at me, but I'd love to respond anyway.

Case Keenum is a good quarterback, and I'm really glad we have him. But he's not a great quarterback, and the biggest reason is ball placement. Go back and watch his game against Tampa, which was his career game. He completed a number of fairly easy throws that really were not on the money. Yesterday he was off the mark, period. The swing pass to McKinnon in the second half was a great example. Super easy throw, and he put it on the turf. We were very, very lucky the officials got it wrong and Mike McCarthy had already blown his challenges. Treadwell's great catch was necessitated by a pretty poor back-shoulder throw.

Again, I'm glad we have him. He may very well save our season. But he's got some accuracy problems. Not to the point where it drives his completion percentage way down, but he has trouble with tight windows, and he doesn't always hit receivers in stride or throw them open. That's the reason we have criticisms of Keenum. Gosh, the guy is a great leader. He really is. And he's mobile in a way that Sam Bradford could only dream about. But his lack of precision hurts him and is probably the reason he's a backup.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

I agree Kapp. Keenum is a great backup, but not a long-term starter. He throws from varying arm angles and his mechanics become inefficient at random times, which leads to inaccuracy. The ability to throw from multiple arm angles is a huge plus, but mostly when you're a prototypical size. Keenum is listed at 6'1", but he's probably 6'. It leads to some errant throws, thus inconsistency, which is exactly what we've seen so far.

If you look at the shorter QB's in the League that are consistent and successful then you point to Brees and Russell Wilson. Over the top delivery 9 out of 10 times unless improvising. Their technique is consistent and they're more efficient as a result and overall, more productive on a consistent basis. Keenum is a gunslinger. He brings the emotion too, which is great, but he's not someone you fully trust in January, in my opinion.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Andrew Krammer‏ @Andrew_Krammer

Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater "good" with Shurmur's offense, has been taking the practice script every week and running it by himself.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

808vikingsfan wrote:Andrew Krammer‏ @Andrew_Krammer

Zimmer: Teddy Bridgewater "good" with Shurmur's offense, has been taking the practice script every week and running it by himself.
Haters gonna eat on this one. :lol:

"It's against air!" "We know he can drop back, but it's not at game speed and we'll see how he is after a few hits!"

Teddy will be ready...
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

I wouldn't say I hate the guy I just never saw any improvement from his rookie year to his second year. The stats were nearly identical. When you have a passing league and a qb who throws for 17 touchdowns in a 16 game season you are on the outside looking in. And, I believe he had 4 or 5 in just one game alone, so what does that tell you about the other 15? He has been putrid statistically and could never stretch the field.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

mosscarter wrote:I wouldn't say I hate the guy I just never saw any improvement from his rookie year to his second year. The stats were nearly identical. When you have a passing league and a qb who throws for 17 touchdowns in a 16 game season you are on the outside looking in. And, I believe he had 4 or 5 in just one game alone, so what does that tell you about the other 15? He has been putrid statistically and could never stretch the field.
Folks said Matt Ryan didn't improve because his stats didn't get better from his rookie season (Completion percentage dipped, INT ratio increased), but what most failed to realize is that it wasn't regression. It was progression. He was handling more of the load as far as check with me's, audibles, playbook expansion, etc. The learning curve is steep when you get to the NFL and it gets more steep from year 1 to year 2 in a lot of cases. Rookie season, playbooks are pared back, plays developed for young Q's to read only half of the field instead of the entire field...Teddy was always able to go through a progression. Even more, his numbers got better, if only marginally. He demonstrated greater efficiency and an ability to avoid big mistakes. His development was only suggesting growth before he was lost last preseason. There was nothing to indicate a decline or stagnation. His. improvement was slow and steady...methodical. Even Tom Brady started this way. Not many see it because they want 30 TD's and less than 5 INT's out of the gates. Patience is lost. Teddy was on a track and had/has the intangibles to accomplish being a franchise QB. If anything, he still earned the right to seize that opportunity with the Vikings. No one has taken this job by the nuts in the meantime so it's back to being Teddy's job to lose.

Just my opinion, but I believe he prevails and most of ya'll eating crow. If not, we all losers and we both still wait for someone else with no rings in the meantime...
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mosscarter wrote:I wouldn't say I hate the guy I just never saw any improvement from his rookie year to his second year. The stats were nearly identical. When you have a passing league and a qb who throws for 17 touchdowns in a 16 game season you are on the outside looking in. And, I believe he had 4 or 5 in just one game alone, so what does that tell you about the other 15? He has been putrid statistically and could never stretch the field.
You're saying you can't believe Teddy didn't light up the box score playing behind the worst offensive line in a decade with a run-first game script? Here's some #stats for perspective. In 2015, Teddy was asked to throw the ball 454 times. That ranked DEAD LAST in the league. For some perspective, Baltimore (oddly) led with 676 attempts! Pittsburgh was 16th with 590. If you average 25 attempts/game, that's the equivalent of nearly an extra 6 games!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-r ... ridgewater
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I don't really understand the general opposition to this from anyone. Obviously he isn't going to start the day after he comes back. Obviously he has to prove he can play at a high level. But he hasn't be sitting on a couch eating "hungry man" for the past year. He has, literally, been doing football related practicing and training every single day since the surgery. He cannot work with the vikings or an NFL team specifically during the PUP but there are many resources that have worked in the league that he can organize and take advantage of. This guy has been running an Off Season training camp for about 15 months. I have yet to see anyone push for him to play this week, beyond some tongue and cheek of course, its seems like what we all want is just for him to get some first team reps. WHO doesn't want that? There is literally no downside. You Think Keenum is going to miss a throw against the Ravens and say

"Well, If only I had, had 20 more minutes of first team reps in practice I could have nailed that one"

The worst thing that happens is we are gonna see some Twitter post from an insider that says "Teddy taking First team reps, not good. Timing off, no power on drive w/leg"

That literally it. Then Keenum is back to first team 100% of the time and we are moving on.

I simply cannot grasp the frustration unless it is literally being frustrated that people are excited about something. Which is super, SUPER ####.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I was at Bridgewater's most recent (I hate to say last <gulp!>) NFL game (pre-season against the Chargers at US Bank Stadium). He looked pretty good. His stat line was:

12 completions on 16 attempts (75%) for 161 yards and a TD (No interceptions) - Passer rating 127.3

To me, he seemed decisive and was making crisp accurate throws. I actually remember being excited after the game thinking this (2016) might be the year Bridgewater "puts it all together." He didn't play a full game (obviously in preseason) but he really didn't have to. He looked really good.

Two caveats:

1) It was preseason
2) It was a one game observation (Even Tarvaris Jackson could look pretty awesome for one game)

The fact of the matter, however, is Bridgewater looked like he had taken strides in improving his game. Sadly we have not (as of yet) gotten to see if that was case. Bradford, quite frankly, is a better passer than Bridgewater (and why wouldn't he be, especially considering his level of experience vs Bridgewater), but considering his injury right now, may be done. I'm not convinced that Bridgewater will ever be as good a passer as Bradford, but he might (if we assume he comes back from this injury) be a better quarterback.

I'm not trying to make a case for Bridgewater. I still have some serious concerns that he can come back and play at the level he'll need to. I'm just not ready to "write him off" until I can see if Bridgewater can prove himself on the field. In my opinion, he was stepping up to do so in 2016 before his injury. I'd like to see him get a chance to finish what he started in 2016. Fate might have dealt Bridgewater a "raw deal" in 2016, but it might also have dealt him the hand that will allow him to finish what (IMHO) he started last year.

If it plays out that way, I'm wishing Bridgewater all the luck in the world.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

More #stats

Bridgewater accuracy percentage under pressure:

2014 (rookie): 1st
2015 preseason (1st)
2015: 4th
2016 preseason: 1st.

He was pressured at the highest amount in the league in 2015. Pressure affected him nearly the least. I don't care how you slice it, that's damn impressive.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

dead_poet wrote:More #stats

Bridgewater accuracy percentage under pressure:

2014 (rookie): 1st
2015 preseason (1st)
2015: 4th
2016 preseason: 1st.

He was pressured at the highest amount in the league in 2015. Pressure affected him nearly the least. I don't care how you slice it, that's damn impressive.
Wow now I see why they call him GUMP. Where did you find that stat?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri