View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Teddy, Teddy, Teddy! 
Career Elite Player

Post Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!
Home against the Ravens, win. At Cleveland, win. Bye week. At this point Minnesota officially activates Teddy to the roster and he gets one more week (total of 4). He can either take over a 6-2 team or soon after and lead Minnesota to another division title and playoff appearance. This time without Blair Walsh missing a chippy.

I realize this is best case, but I'm just gonna go ahead and believe...not like we ain't been burnt before on hope.

I'm in.

Teddy.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 am
Hall of Famer

Post Re: Teddy, Teddy, Teddy!
PacificNorseWest wrote:
Home against the Ravens, win. At Cleveland, win. Bye week. At this point Minnesota officially activates Teddy to the roster and he gets one more week (total of 4). He can either take over a 6-2 team or soon after and lead Minnesota to another division title and playoff appearance. This time without Blair Walsh missing a chippy.

I realize this is best case, but I'm just gonna go ahead and believe...not like we ain't been burnt before on hope.

I'm in.

Teddy.

I agree, this would be best case scenario, even if we dont beat the Ravens and Browns (we should beat them soundly, even with Case). Then we can see if Teddy can be the franchise QB, or another wasted high pick of a QB.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:22 am
Fenrir

Next two games the Vikings will be favored but any given Sunday. Falcons lost today, Giants win, SF nearly wins, and Oakland is 2-4. I feel like there's a lot more parity this year between teams. Even the worst case scenario would be .500 at the bye which isn't bad all things considered. 6-2 would be incredible!

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 am
Strong Safety

I mean right now Detroit beat us but they are not playing
good and we might take them this year at home especially
if we get a good QB rolling at the end.

Green Bay has a borderline OL, not great defense
with a few good players, no run game ...without
Rodgers they are not a playoff team.

The bears have the second best defense in our
division maybe the best run game, worst receiving
group and a promising QB that will need a least
one year to learn.

Eagles and Atlanta are the two greatest threats
in the NFC to get past.

The Vikings have enough weapons in place to get
there we just need a healthy Q.B. And consistent
play.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:58 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Teddy hasn't played in a football game in over 400 days....
He has not ran full speed drills or had contact in that long either.

His knee was dislocated and every ligament torn.

I think you guys are having false hope that you are going to see him this year.

Sorry to say but this is Keenums team for the year.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:18 am
Starting Wide Receiver

Norv Zimmer wrote:

I agree. Just because he gets cleared to practice doesn't mean he will even get activated any time this season.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner

Norv Zimmer wrote:

What happens if Case is injured or ineffective and Bradford is still hobbled

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:32 am
Hall of Famer

We'll find out a lot today, when Teddy is evaluated and a decision is made regarding him joining the team in full practices. If we see him out there with the team on Wednesday, not just working alone on the sidelines like he's been doing, it would be a good sign.

Troy Aikman yesterday said that Teddy has been doing pretty much everything on the side -- dropping back, cutting, making moves to avoid the rush, rolling out, etc. It's a different thing doing it against defenders, but the point is that it's not like Teddy can barely walk.

Six weeks ago, I was confident in Sam Bradford and his ability to take this team where it needs to go. But if you think about it, Bradford's knee seems to be almost functionally worse than Teddy's. What I saw against the Bears horrified me. Reminded me of the movie Friday Night Lights, where the guy insisted on playing with a terrible knee injury and got hurt far worse.

Of course, until one of them proves he's healthy enough to play, it's Keenum's team. I'm not a fan of him starting, but I'm sure glad we've got him. Where would our season be if Shaun Hill were still in that role?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:48 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

dead_poet wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

What happens if Case is injured or ineffective and Bradford is still hobbled

Then it is Sloter time I guess. Either way I am no doctor but I don't think that Teddy comes back this year.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:25 am
Hall of Fame Candidate

Another thing to consider: We are assuming the coaches will bench Keenum. Keenum had a rough game against PIT, and again vs. DET, but has lead us to victory against TB, GB, and most importantly, salvaged that road win on the road in CHI. He obviously doesn't look like Bradford did against NO, but he is winning. Changing that up mid-season could be a mistake.

Another angle: The only pass catches on this team that TB has any experience with are Diggs and Rudolph, and Diggs is injured.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just ride the Keenum train out, but keep him on a short leash.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 am
All Pro Elite Player

mansquatch wrote:
Another thing to consider: We are assuming the coaches will bench Keenum. Keenum had a rough game against PIT, and again vs. DET, but has lead us to victory against TB, GB, and most importantly, salvaged that road win on the road in CHI. He obviously doesn't look like Bradford did against NO, but he is winning. Changing that up mid-season could be a mistake.

Another angle: The only pass catches on this team that TB has any experience with are Diggs and Rudolph, and Diggs is injured.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just ride the Keenum train out, but keep him on a short leash.

He didn't play well against GB, he could have easily have had 3 picks if not more. He missed on a lot of easy throws. He looks like a back up.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:49 am
Career Elite Player

With the team putting up wins and Keenum playing the role of Game Manager effectively there's no reason to rush Teddy back. With Rogers out of the picture and Detroit having some difficulties the Division is wide open and winnable. There's no reason to upset the team balance right now.

Sam's injury did change things in my mind though. If Bradford had been healthy I would be in the camp that Teddy doesn't play at all this year. Now, not so much. I think they should, and will ride with Keenum and see what happens. If Bridgewater is cleared and Case falters 5-6 weeks from now I can see Teddy being worked in.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

He didn't play well against GB, he could have easily have had 3 picks if not more. He missed on a lot of easy throws. He looks like a back up.[/quote]

He IS a backup.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

I've made my view clear on Teddy I cannot understand the blind support of this guy as a franchise quarterback. If you actually look at his statistics over two years, they are close or as bad as any starting quarterback in the league. I think he averages 1 touchdown pass per game at best (that is pathetic). People tend to say, "he wins games." Well, that is easy to do with that defense and Peterson rushing for 1,500 yards. I would rather have Keenum in there Teddy has a noodle arm and quite frankly I don't care if he is a nice guy.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 am
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:
He didn't play well against GB, he could have easily have had 3 picks if not more. He missed on a lot of easy throws. He looks like a back up.

He IS a backup.[/quote]

Except everyone saying he should play out the year. Teddy should start being prepared for 1st team play immediately until he shows he isn't ready. Not artificially hold him back because Keenum is """"""playing well"""""" (if you squint and its foggy).

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

mosscarter wrote:
I've made my view clear on Teddy I cannot understand the blind support of this guy as a franchise quarterback. If you actually look at his statistics over two years, they are close or as bad as any starting quarterback in the league. I think he averages 1 touchdown pass per game at best (that is pathetic). People tend to say, "he wins games." Well, that is easy to do with that defense and Peterson rushing for 1,500 yards. I would rather have Keenum in there Teddy has a noodle arm and quite frankly I don't care if he is a nice guy.

I agree, there is no basis for all the faith people put in him. He has never been that great of a NFL QB and to think that he can just come back from the devastating injury and play at the level he was at (which is not that great) is pipe dreams.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

IrishViking wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

He IS a backup.

Except everyone saying he should play out the year. Teddy should start being prepared for 1st team play immediately until he shows he isn't ready. Not artificially hold him back because Keenum is """"""playing well"""""" (if you squint and its foggy).[/quote]

You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 am
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:

You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?

While I agree with this concept in principal, I can see a couple reasons why the team would start Teddy:

1) If we lose the next two games, it will be clear that the season is over with Case. There would be nothing to lose at that point, might as well see if Teddy will be able to play again; or

2) During practice the coaching staff comes to the decision that Teddy really has recovered and will bring more to the field than Case.

After this season, we have no quarterback under contract. The coaching staff kind of has to figure out which two of the four they want to bring back next year, if any. We already know that Sam is injury prone and likely done here. Case is a career backup. Teddy, we don't know about after his injury. And Sloter has never taken a regular season rep. If the Vikings are 6-2 (an argument could also be made for 5-3) coming into the bye, I see no reason to make a switch at QB unless the coaching staff truly believes that Teddy will bring that much more than Case.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:34 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Famer

Norv Zimmer wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

I agree, there is no basis for all the faith people put in him. He has never been that great of a NFL QB and to think that he can just come back from the devastating injury and play at the level he was at (which is not that great) is pipe dreams.

I'm not a Teddy sycophant by any means. I actually like a healthy Bradford better as a quarterback.

But I have to disagree with this.

Teddy didn't light the world on fire statistically, but he is the last Viking to quarterback a division winner. He also was showing signs of progress last year during preseason. I'm not talking statistically. I'm talking about the WAY he was throwing the football. My criticism of Teddy was never about the intangibles of quarterback play. He's smart, he's prepared, and his teammates will run through fire for him. My criticisms were all mechanical in nature, that he didn't or couldn't drive the ball when he threw. He had a low, floppy elbow on his release and got under a lot of throws, causing them to float.

What I watched in last year's preseason was a quarterback who had obviously done some work with his coaches. He was throwing the ball with authority and driving it in to his receivers.

Does that mean he has an arm like Stafford or Rodgers or Bradford? No. But he was looking, at least to my eyes, like he had made huge strides with the mechanical aspects of his game.

Obviously, my opinion is really that of an armchair quarterback. But given the "noodle arm" comments, I'm assuming opinions here are based on the wobbly throws he often made. That's totally legitimate. I just happen to believe he had shown signs of moving past those bad habits. If he proves otherwise, I'm with you guys ... move on from Teddy. This IS the NFL, and you DO have to be able to throw the ball. But if he has improved his throwing, there's no way I'd discount his return.

The main thing, however, is that he suffered one of the worst knee injuries imaginable. There's no guarantee he'll ever be the same, and I would NEVER advocate rushing him back just because the coaches like him. But I don't think you kick him to the curb, either. The team has far too much invested in his recovery. So let him practice. See how things play out. If we're honest, we may make the playoffs with Case Keenum, but I doubt we make a deep run. Let's see what happens.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

I'm not a Teddy sycophant by any means. I actually like a healthy Bradford better as a quarterback.

But I have to disagree with this.

Teddy didn't light the world on fire statistically, but he is the last Viking to quarterback a division winner. He also was showing signs of progress last year during preseason. I'm not talking statistically. I'm talking about the WAY he was throwing the football. My criticism of Teddy was never about the intangibles of quarterback play. He's smart, he's prepared, and his teammates will run through fire for him. My criticisms were all mechanical in nature, that he didn't or couldn't drive the ball when he threw. He had a low, floppy elbow on his release and got under a lot of throws, causing them to float.

What I watched in last year's preseason was a quarterback who had obviously done some work with his coaches. He was throwing the ball with authority and driving it in to his receivers.

Does that mean he has an arm like Stafford or Rodgers or Bradford? No. But he was looking, at least to my eyes, like he had made huge strides with the mechanical aspects of his game.

Obviously, my opinion is really that of an armchair quarterback. But given the "noodle arm" comments, I'm assuming opinions here are based on the wobbly throws he often made. That's totally legitimate. I just happen to believe he had shown signs of moving past those bad habits. If he proves otherwise, I'm with you guys ... move on from Teddy. This IS the NFL, and you DO have to be able to throw the ball. But if he has improved his throwing, there's no way I'd discount his return.

The main thing, however, is that he suffered one of the worst knee injuries imaginable. There's no guarantee he'll ever be the same, and I would NEVER advocate rushing him back just because the coaches like him. But I don't think you kick him to the curb, either. The team has far too much invested in his recovery. So let him practice. See how things play out. If we're honest, we may make the playoffs with Case Keenum, but I doubt we make a deep run. Let's see what happens.

For one I am not saying kick him to the curb, and to those so negative on Case why are you? His stats for this year are not bad... not bad at all.
1,134 yards 5 td 1 int. 4 sacks 93.1 passer rating 64.2 completion percentage.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 am
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

He IS a backup.

Except everyone saying he should play out the year. Teddy should start being prepared for 1st team play immediately until he shows he isn't ready. Not artificially hold him back because Keenum is """"""playing well"""""" (if you squint and its foggy).

You watched the Chicago game right? Did you see how Bradford played? I imagine that putting Bridgewater out there would be something like that. Why bench Keenum just to start a unknown?[/quote]

WHO is saying start him against the Ravens?!?

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 am
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:
For one I am not saying kick him to the curb, and to those so negative on Case why are you? His stats for this year are not bad... not bad at all.

He was lucky he didn't have 2 more picks yesterday, he missed several wide open throws and was bailed out by a couple of insane catches.

If that stat line said 1,100 yards 5 tds 4 int. 4 sacks 81.3 passer rating 60.1 completion percentage. People would be a lot more okay with ""moving on"" and barring a couple of crazy catches and stupid drops by the Packers thats what is SHOULD read.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

mosscarter wrote:

I do and dont understand where you're coming from. I understand that there is an overabundance of support for him for really not doing a whole lot. I have said I will take a healthy Bradford over a healthy Teddy. But Case over Teddy?? Not a chance

You say that it was "easy for Teddy" given he had this defense and AP. Well I can tell you that this defense is better than it was in 2015 and we still have a solid running game no matter who is playing plus an improved OL. So if it was "easy for Teddy", wouldnt you want him in there??

Also, you say Teddy has a "noodle arm". Have you not seen some of Keenums deep balls this year. The 2 that floated to Treadwell vs Detroit and the one awful one to Thielen yesterday. I dont really think Keenum has that much of a better arm that Teddy. No less, Keenum is known to be wildly inaccurate. He has a career completion percentage of 59% vs. Teddy's 64%.

Teddy's intangibles are what do it for me. I can tell you right now, this team has Super Bowl potential but I dont think I would want to rely on Case carrying us through the playoffs. Just my opinion

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

IrishViking wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

He was lucky he didn't have 2 more picks yesterday, he missed several wide open throws and was bailed out by a couple of insane catches.

If that stat line said 1,100 yards 5 tds 4 int. 4 sacks 81.3 passer rating 60.1 completion percentage. People would be a lot more okay with ""moving on"" and barring a couple of crazy catches and stupid drops by the Packers thats what is SHOULD read.

I get it... you dont like Keenum. If I had my choice he wouldn't be the starter either. But, that is the hand we are dealt. The coaching staff can prepare Teddy all they like but until Keenum goes down or we start losing because of him they should not even think about putting him in.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am
All Pro Elite Player

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
mosscarter wrote:

I do and dont understand where you're coming from. I understand that there is an overabundance of support for him for really not doing a whole lot. I have said I will take a healthy Bradford over a healthy Teddy. But Case over Teddy?? Not a chance

You say that it was "easy for Teddy" given he had this defense and AP. Well I can tell you that this defense is better than it was in 2015 and we still have a solid running game no matter who is playing plus an improved OL. So if it was "easy for Teddy", wouldnt you want him in there??

Also, you say Teddy has a "noodle arm". Have you not seen some of Keenums deep balls this year. The 2 that floated to Treadwell vs Detroit and the one awful one to Thielen yesterday. I dont really think Keenum has that much of a better arm that Teddy. No less, Keenum is known to be wildly inaccurate. He has a career completion percentage of 59% vs. Teddy's 64%.

Teddy's intangibles are what do it for me. I can tell you right now, this team has Super Bowl potential but I dont think I would want to rely on Case carrying us through the playoffs. Just my opinion

The noodle arm crap is the most asinine argument in football ever. If a QB can throw it 30 yards, that's all they need because of human kinds limits on foot speed. THAT stretches the field because whether the QB can throw it 90 yards or 31 yards on a rope there is a minimum distance a D will play back to still be able to respond to short play and a maximum they will play back because WR still need to run downfield. and LONG LONG play is 6 seconds. Teddy has the arm strength to play in the NFL. Period. and TBH his intermediate throws have always looked razor sharp and fast. Versus Keenum's bobbly wobbly arcs.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am
Hall of Fame Inductee

IrishViking wrote:
The noodle arm crap is the most asinine argument in football ever. If a QB can throw it 30 yards, that's all they need because of human kinds limits on foot speed. THAT stretches the field because whether the QB can throw it 90 yards or 31 yards on a rope there is a minimum distance a D will play back to still be able to respond to short play and a maximum they will play back because WR still need to run downfield. and LONG LONG play is 6 seconds. Teddy has the arm strength to play in the NFL. Period. and TBH his intermediate throws have always looked razor sharp and fast. Versus Keenum's bobbly wobbly arcs.

+1 :thumbsup:

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 am
Pro Bowl Elite Player

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... 14-months/

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 am
All Pro Elite Player

Norv Zimmer wrote:
IrishViking wrote:
Norv Zimmer wrote:

I get it... you dont like Keenum. If I had my choice he wouldn't be the starter either. But, that is the hand we are dealt. The coaching staff can prepare Teddy all they like but until Keenum goes down or we start losing because of him they should not even think about putting him in.

No I like him fine, I think he is a fantastic back up, I hope we keep him after this year. You keep a back up in until your starter is ready. You don't keep the starter out out because the backup is barely doing enough not to lose games.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 pm
All Pro Elite Player

I don't think any of us know how Teddy is going to do. We got 3 weeks starting Wednesday to figure that out.
I know one thing for certain Zimmer won't rush him back. He will make sure that Teddy is healthy.
Lets just sit back and see how things unfold.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:44 pm
Commissioner

halfgiz wrote:
I don't think any of us know how Teddy is going to do. We got 3 weeks starting Wednesday to figure that out.
I know one thing for certain Zimmer won't rush him back. He will make sure that Teddy is healthy.
Lets just sit back and see how things unfold.

There is no room for your rational takes online.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next