View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:48 am



Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Week 6 reaction thread 
Author Message
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
This is fun

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/919576097947136000

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:07 pm
Posts: 524
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Anyone else think Case tends to have balls sail on him a little? He seems to throw a lot of rainbows, but maybe that is because he has lower arm strength and needs the arc?


Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:40 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3255
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
I love beating GB. I do not care how it happens.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of their season goes with Rogers out. The last two seasons they've spent stretches of the season struggling even with Rogers as the Defense is just not very good. This season most of their wins have been a result of 2nd half adjustment and Rogers' magic in the 4Q. Now the Magic is gone. Biggest Loser = Ted Thompson IMO.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
Posts: 552
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
720pete wrote:
Anyone else think Case tends to have balls sail on him a little? He seems to throw a lot of rainbows, but maybe that is because he has lower arm strength and needs the arc?

Yes... Rainbow city.


Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm
Profile YIM
Fenrir
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Posts: 10547
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?


Maybe if the Vikings were at full strength but seeing as both teams were dealing with injuries, I thought it was a solid win.

Forbath deserves a lot of credit, I criticize him a lot but he played great on Sunday.


Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:48 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?


Maybe if the Vikings were at full strength but seeing as both teams were dealing with injuries, I thought it was a solid win.

Forbath deserves a lot of credit, I criticize him a lot but he played great on Sunday.


There were too much times where the 2nd string QB comes in and torches the Vikings. Steve Young comes to mind.

It's hard to win in the NFL, especially this year. Plus, at the end of the season, it won't matter how you got the win.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
808vikingsfan wrote:
S197 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?


Maybe if the Vikings were at full strength but seeing as both teams were dealing with injuries, I thought it was a solid win.

Forbath deserves a lot of credit, I criticize him a lot but he played great on Sunday.


There were too much times where the 2nd string QB comes in and torches the Vikings. Steve Young comes to mind.

It's hard to win in the NFL, especially this year. Plus, at the end of the season, it won't matter how you got the win.


True. But the Packer fans' "yeah but!!!" get really annoying.

Of course, much of what they say and do is annoying.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:03 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm
Posts: 984
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Wasn't perfect but good enough for the W. As mentioned by a previous poster I really hated how they went into ultra conservative mode later in the game. I was really hoping for one more td but oh well. Hope Floyd is back up to snuff soon and gets more targets as well as Treadwell. Confidence is key here for both these guys and for Keenum to feed off that. Murray obviously needs an ol that opens holes as he doesn't have much/any wiggle but seems like an upgrade over Asiata from a running standpoint.


Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
autobon7 wrote:
. Murray obviously needs an ol that opens holes as he doesn't have much/any wiggle but seems like an upgrade over Asiata from a running standpoint.


Murray is averaging a robust 2.4 YPC. Asiata was a yard more his last season here and 3.9 in 2015.

Murray has been pretty bad.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6436
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
720pete wrote:
Anyone else think Case tends to have balls sail on him a little? He seems to throw a lot of rainbows, but maybe that is because he has lower arm strength and needs the arc?

I've said it in other threads. He isn't super accurate. He's accurate enough to hit 60% of his throws, but not accurate enough to consistently fit the ball into tight windows, throw receivers open, or hit them in stride. One throw will be amazing, the next mediocre.

PacificNorseWest made a good point that I agree with ... his size, likely 6 feet even, can be a detriment. He throws from a variety of arm angles, where he probably needs to throw more over the top because of his small size.

That being said, I love his leadership, his mobility, and his moxie. In another era, he might have been an All-Pro. In this era, he's a hell of a good backup.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6436
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
. Murray obviously needs an ol that opens holes as he doesn't have much/any wiggle but seems like an upgrade over Asiata from a running standpoint.


Murray is averaging a robust 2.4 YPC. Asiata was a yard more his last season here and 3.9 in 2015.

Murray has been pretty bad.

Totally agree, DP. I've been disappointed. For a big man, he goes down pretty easily. I'm hoping it's remnants of the ankle surgery because he doesn't seem to have any power or wiggle.

_________________
Image


Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
autobon7 wrote:
. Murray obviously needs an ol that opens holes as he doesn't have much/any wiggle but seems like an upgrade over Asiata from a running standpoint.


Murray is averaging a robust 2.4 YPC. Asiata was a yard more his last season here and 3.9 in 2015.

Murray has been pretty bad.

Totally agree, DP. I've been disappointed. For a big man, he goes down pretty easily. I'm hoping it's remnants of the ankle surgery because he doesn't seem to have any power or wiggle.


Or vision.

I think I read he's not 100%. I have pretty low confidence in a big or even 4-5-yard gain when he's in for McKinnon.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:10 am
Posts: 2229
Location: Seattle, Wa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Murray is a poor man's Demarco Murray who is a poor man's Eddie George who is a poor man's Adrian Peterson. It's very strange seeing a big back who is built like that appear to run the football with such trepidation. He had a few good runs, but it was all the Oline's doing. If McKinnon goes down, they're in trouble.


Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:53 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?

I'm with you. But then again, I was feeling that way after the first quarter. The game went from "gosh, we have a small chance even without all our best skill players - I hope we win", to "well, this is easy now, unless we really blow it". It went from being a statement game to being just another game we won against an inferior team.

Another reaction is that the Pack is in real trouble. I can see them going 3-7 without Rogers. Just our luck - they'll get a high first round pick and draft another HOF QB, like it's their birthright.


Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
John_Viveiros wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?

I'm with you. But then again, I was feeling that way after the first quarter. The game went from "gosh, we have a small chance even without all our best skill players - I hope we win", to "well, this is easy now, unless we really blow it". It went from being a statement game to being just another game we won against an inferior team.

Another reaction is that the Pack is in real trouble. I can see them going 3-7 without Rogers. Just our luck - they'll get a high first round pick and draft another HOF QB, like it's their birthright.


Nah. Hundley is pretty good. Not Rodgers level but not nearly inept as some of the other starters and backups out there. Not going to lie, though, my nightmare of the Packers winning the Super Bowl in Minnesota has gotten tougher for them (thank God). There'd be really no way to recover from that. I don't think that Packers finish below .500. if they do, it won't be by much.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:55 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
John_Viveiros wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
After sleeping on it, I wake up feeling not nearly as satisfied after a Vikings win. A Vikings win against the Packers. I suppose it has something to do with beating them without Rodgers for most of the game. Maybe it's just Monday. Am I alone?

I'm with you. But then again, I was feeling that way after the first quarter. The game went from "gosh, we have a small chance even without all our best skill players - I hope we win", to "well, this is easy now, unless we really blow it". It went from being a statement game to being just another game we won against an inferior team.

Another reaction is that the Pack is in real trouble. I can see them going 3-7 without Rogers. Just our luck - they'll get a high first round pick and draft another HOF QB, like it's their birthright.



You are gonna have a rough time when he retires in like, 5 years then. Not having Rodgers is one of two realities the packers will Always exist in. A win is a win.


Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:08 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Candidate

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:44 pm
Posts: 3255
Location: Coon Rapids, MN
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
Nah. Hundley is pretty good. Not Rodgers level but not nearly inept as some of the other starters and backups out there. Not going to lie, though, my nightmare of the Packers winning the Super Bowl in Minnesota has gotten tougher for them (thank God). There'd be really no way to recover from that. I don't think that Packers finish below .500. if they do, it won't be by much.


I don't know DP, they Pack is now going to need their defense to contribute for more than 30 minutes and that defense greatly benefits from the pressure Rogers is able to create on the scoreboard. I don't think they'll lose out, but they are going to face a tough road. They only have one legitimate WR who can bail Hunley out and their RB corps is going to start seeing 8 man fronts which they never see when AROG is in there. It's going to be a rough road for them.

_________________
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:19 am
Profile
Online
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17642
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Hundley is a good QB. He looked better against our defense than Keenum did against Pittsburghs defense, and their defense is really similar to ours. I will never count the Packers out unless Mike McCarthy is forced into QB duty.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
mansquatch wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
Nah. Hundley is pretty good. Not Rodgers level but not nearly inept as some of the other starters and backups out there. Not going to lie, though, my nightmare of the Packers winning the Super Bowl in Minnesota has gotten tougher for them (thank God). There'd be really no way to recover from that. I don't think that Packers finish below .500. if they do, it won't be by much.


I don't know DP, they Pack is now going to need their defense to contribute for more than 30 minutes and that defense greatly benefits from the pressure Rogers is able to create on the scoreboard. I don't think they'll lose out, but they are going to face a tough road. They only have one legitimate WR who can bail Hunley out and their RB corps is going to start seeing 8 man fronts which they never see when AROG is in there. It's going to be a rough road for them.


Adams and Nelson are a good duo. Adams has really improved. They also may have found a good new weapon in Jones. I don't disagree their road has gotten tougher without their first &string QB (gee I wonder what that's like). But they still have some talent if they can get healthy. 8-8 is realistic. Possibly a WC.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:29 am
Posts: 552
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:
I don't disagree their road has gotten tougher without their first &string QB (gee I wonder what that's like).

Heck, after the last couple of years, I didn't even know that having a first string qb was an option.


Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am
Profile YIM
Online
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17642
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Thaumaturgist wrote:
dead_poet wrote:
I don't disagree their road has gotten tougher without their first &string QB (gee I wonder what that's like).

Heck, after the last couple of years, I didn't even know that having a first string qb was an option.
Lol

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am
Profile YIM WWW
Career Elite Player

Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:55 pm
Posts: 2342
Location: Olympia, Washington
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
I'm not sure where you get that Hundley is a good NFL QB. His preseason stats were just okay - this year his rating was 88.8. Kyle Sloter had a rating just over 125, and no one is thinking he should be taking a team to the playoffs this year.

As bad as Keenum may have played against Pittsburgh, he actually did lead scoring drives. Hundley couldn't do anything unless the Packers were starting in the red zone. And he threw three interceptions. And he takes a lot of sacks - 11 in preseason this year alone in 76 passing attempts (the ones where he didn't get sacked) and 4 sacks in 34 attempts in this game.

And yes, it's a small sample, but his overall career QB rating is 28.0!

In prior years, the Packers had a strong enough roster to give a guy like Hundley some support, to make his job easier. IMO that's not the case now, and I think the complete reliance on Hundley will end in catastrophe. They have OL problems and no consistent running game, and guys like Randall Cobb have disappeared and Nelson is somewhat injured I hear. And their defense is in trouble, especially in their defensive backfield.

I will agree that if my take is wrong, then Hundley will be proven to be a good QB, and McCarthy will earn the accolades as a top coach, because up to now, it has all been Aaron Rodgers (3-5-1 without an HOF QB at the helm).


Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
John_Viveiros wrote:
I'm not sure where you get that Hundley is a good NFL QB. His preseason stats were just okay - this year his rating was 88.8. Kyle Sloter had a rating just over 125, and no one is thinking he should be taking a team to the playoffs this year.

As bad as Keenum may have played against Pittsburgh, he actually did lead scoring drives. Hundley couldn't do anything unless the Packers were starting in the red zone. And he threw three interceptions. And he takes a lot of sacks - 11 in preseason this year alone in 76 passing attempts (the ones where he didn't get sacked) and 4 sacks in 34 attempts in this game.

And yes, it's a small sample, but his overall career QB rating is 28.0!

In prior years, the Packers had a strong enough roster to give a guy like Hundley some support, to make his job easier. IMO that's not the case now, and I think the complete reliance on Hundley will end in catastrophe. They have OL problems and no consistent running game, and guys like Randall Cobb have disappeared and Nelson is somewhat injured I hear. And their defense is in trouble, especially in their defensive backfield.

I will agree that if my take is wrong, then Hundley will be proven to be a good QB, and McCarthy will earn the accolades as a top coach, because up to now, it has all been Aaron Rodgers (3-5-1 without an HOF QB at the helm).


Just going by the eye test of what I've seen of his play. I'd rather have him than anyone on the Browns roster.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4524
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
PacificNorseWest wrote:
Murray is a poor man's Demarco Murray who is a poor man's Eddie George who is a poor man's Adrian Peterson. It's very strange seeing a big back who is built like that appear to run the football with such trepidation. He had a few good runs, but it was all the Oline's doing. If McKinnon goes down, they're in trouble.


I disagree. Murray has lost a lot of yardage behind the line where DL are busting through. He's also ran most of the time on first down which is much more predictable. Murray is a good back. I dont think there is any doubt about that. Murray is a VOLUME back very much like a guy that use to be here. AP. You cant give him 8-9 carries and just call it a day and then judge him off of that. He needs more carries. He's a grinder. If McKinnon went down Murray would be that much better because he'll actually be getting legitimate carries

He's averaged over 4 yards his whole career but is averaging 2 now when we have improved run blocking?? There is reasoning behind that. He's getting nowhere near the volume he was before.

Trust me when I say this, I played against this kid for 2 years in high school, watched him throughout college and watched him in Oakland. He's a good back but he needs more carries. Not "Lets run him on first down when everyone knows we're probably running" then put McKinnon in. That's happened way too often this year.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:29 pm
Profile
Commissioner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:30 pm
Posts: 23371
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
[quote="Pondering Her Percy]
I disagree. Murray has lost a lot of yardage behind the line where DL are busting through. He's also ran most of the time on first down which is much more predictable. Murray is a good back. I dont think there is any doubt about that. Murray is a VOLUME back very much like a guy that use to be here. AP. You cant give him 8-9 carries and just call it a day and then judge him off of that. He needs more carries. He's a grinder. If McKinnon went down Murray would be that much better because he'll actually be getting legitimate carries

He's averaged over 4 yards his whole career but is averaging 2 now when we have improved run blocking?? There is reasoning behind that. He's getting nowhere near the volume he was before. [/quote]

He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.

_________________
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly


Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: Hawaii
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Murray has had some nice runs between the tackles. He just seems really slow and lacking strength. Looks like he's still hurt or out of shape.

Most impressive run by Mckinnon on Sunday was his 2 yd TD run. Didn't think he had it in him to get to the goal line like that. I'm still worried about the running game but TBH, I'm glad we at least have Mckinnon right now. The Ravens struggle stopping the run. They're ranked #30 right now (5th in passing D). I'll think about jumping on the JET bandwagon if he has another productive game on Sunday.

_________________
Joined: Aug 2006
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014


Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:09 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4524
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
dead_poet wrote:

He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.


Lynch is running behind that same OL right now and looks awful and he's one of the toughest runners out there. OAK is 24th in the league for rushing offense and they can thank Jalen Richard for not allowing them to be dead last. I don't think that's the issue. Like I said he's a volume back. Just like AP is and Lynch is. Look what AP was averaging in NO getting 6 carries a game. Look what he did when he got 20+ carries in one game with Arizona and was only there for a few days to get the plays down and get use to the blocking. And Arizonas OL is worse than New Orleans. We're setting the guy up for failure when you're giving him single digit carries each game and giving him the ball in obvious running situations. No way he should be getting less carries. Especially when you have a back that's part midget and can't stay healthy or carry a load. Don't get me wrong Jet has played well, but he's not a workhorse. Murray is. Murray needs volume. Not 7 carries a game. That's not him nor was it AP. (And no im not comparing the two, they are just similar style backs)

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 pm
Profile
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:57 pm
Posts: 6436
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.


Lynch is running behind that same OL right now and looks awful and he's one of the toughest runners out there. OAK is 24th in the league for rushing offense and they can thank Jalen Richard for not allowing them to be dead last. I don't think that's the issue. Like I said he's a volume back. Just like AP is and Lynch is. Look what AP was averaging in NO getting 6 carries a game. Look what he did when he got 20+ carries in one game with Arizona and was only there for a few days to get the plays down and get use to the blocking. And Arizonas OL is worse than New Orleans. We're setting the guy up for failure when you're giving him single digit carries each game and giving him the ball in obvious running situations. No way he should be getting less carries. Especially when you have a back that's part midget and can't stay healthy or carry a load. Don't get me wrong Jet has played well, but he's not a workhorse. Murray is. Murray needs volume. Not 7 carries a game. That's not him nor was it AP. (And no im not comparing the two, they are just similar style backs)

"Part midget" or not, Jet has badly outplayed Murray. That's by any metric you want to use, statistical or observational.

You say giving Murray single-digit carries sets him up for failure. Giving him 20 carries would set the VIKINGS up for failure. I'll take the former.

_________________
Image


Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:21 am
Profile
All Pro Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 1631
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
dead_poet wrote:

He's also playing behind a worse offense line. Just because our run blocking has improved from mast year's most recent disaster doesn't mean it's to the level of Oakland. They've had a top-5 OL the last couple of years. We're nowhere near that. And he's playing on an ankle less than 100%. Cook and McKinnion averaged > 4 ypc behind this same line. Murray is averaging nearly half that.

I liked him in Oakland, too. But he should be getting less carries IMO. Not more. 4.3 ypc > 2.4. McKinnon always looks so much faster and more explosive. I want that option. Assuming he can handle it.


Lynch is running behind that same OL right now and looks awful and he's one of the toughest runners out there. OAK is 24th in the league for rushing offense and they can thank Jalen Richard for not allowing them to be dead last. I don't think that's the issue. Like I said he's a volume back. Just like AP is and Lynch is. Look what AP was averaging in NO getting 6 carries a game. Look what he did when he got 20+ carries in one game with Arizona and was only there for a few days to get the plays down and get use to the blocking. And Arizonas OL is worse than New Orleans. We're setting the guy up for failure when you're giving him single digit carries each game and giving him the ball in obvious running situations. No way he should be getting less carries. Especially when you have a back that's part midget and can't stay healthy or carry a load. Don't get me wrong Jet has played well, but he's not a workhorse. Murray is. Murray needs volume. Not 7 carries a game. That's not him nor was it AP. (And no im not comparing the two, they are just similar style backs)

"Part midget" or not, Jet has badly outplayed Murray. That's by any metric you want to use, statistical or observational.

You say giving Murray single-digit carries sets him up for failure. Giving him 20 carries would set the VIKINGS up for failure. I'll take the former.


Seriously, I still have PTSD from AP. Even watching the Cards game there was no sadness or jealousy just a thought of "Wait till you need 2 yards and AP stutter steps 3 times looking for a TD lane"


Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:45 am
Profile
Franchise Player
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 433
Post Re: Week 6 reaction thread
I dont think enough people are discussing Griffens celebration after his sack....

_________________
Formerly AADPFan


Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:32 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.