PFF: Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

PFF: Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo?

Post by 808vikingsfan »

The Vikings have unusually developed a pair of receivers who both buck the physical trend for their roles within the offense.

Thielen may have developed into the best slot receiver in the game. While the rest of the league has been working on Wes Welker clones, the Vikings found a 6-foot-2, 200-pound receiver that can provide a threat vertically from the slot as well as work the middle and run after the catch. Thielen has 2.24 yards per route run this season from the slot, the second-most in the NFL trailing only Pittsburgh’s JuJu Smith-Schuster, who has just a fraction over half the receptions Thielen has when lined up inside.

While Thielen is much bigger and stronger than your typical NFL slot receiver, Diggs is much smaller and more slight than your typical No. 1 receiver. At 6-foot-3 and around 220-pounds, Julio Jones is the prototype body shape for that spot, but Diggs is a couple of inches shorter and around 30 pounds lighter. He has become an elite receiver in the mold of Antonio Brown, who somehow plays far bigger than his frame would normally allow.

Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo?
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: PFF: Do the Minnesota Vikings have the NFL's best WR duo

Post by dead_poet »

Narrator: "They do."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

League's best slot WR, undrafted out of Mankato State. Plays for hometown team. Puts up a buck sixty against Josh Norman, not exactly a pedestrian CB. Umm, best story in the NFL?

Just goes to show that NFL Scouting and Player Eval is as much art as it is science.

Why isn't Jim still on the board? I have a whole dump truck of "I told you so" for him right now. I need to get storage unit for them.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote:League's best slot WR, undrafted out of Mankato State. Plays for hometown team. Puts up a buck sixty against Josh Norman, not exactly a pedestrian CB. Umm, best story in the NFL?

Just goes to show that NFL Scouting and Player Eval is as much art as it is science.

Why isn't Jim still on the board? I have a whole dump truck of "I told you so" for him right now. I need to get storage unit for them.
He left before you could. Writing was on the wall. Savvy vet move.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:League's best slot WR, undrafted out of Mankato State. Plays for hometown team. Puts up a buck sixty against Josh Norman, not exactly a pedestrian CB. Umm, best story in the NFL?

I'm really glad that the so-called experts are finally beginning to see what most of us Vikings fans see ... that Adam Thielen has turned himself into a bona fide star who grew up dreaming of playing for the Minnesota Vikings.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Thielen's story is close to being Hollywood worthy. Now if he can reach the SB somehow, they have to make a movie.

It's like Luke Skywalker dreaming of being a rebel pilot playing with his toys.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think it is a credit to Thielen's work ethic and refusal to be told what he could accomplish both in college and as a pro. Vikes look to have struck gold with Diggs and Thielen.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

VikingLord wrote: I think it is a credit to Thielen's work ethic and refusal to be told what he could accomplish both in college and as a pro. Vikes look to have struck gold with Diggs and Thielen.
Imagine if our picks of Patterson or Treadwell developed in the level of a first rounder This offense would be unstoppable. Would love to see Treadwell become average and Cooks return next season.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Nothing better for a team than getting a gold mine
talent for no draft picks

Now if we find a Tom Brady like that ... wow
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

jackal wrote:Nothing better for a team than getting a gold mine
talent for no draft picks

Now if we find a Tom Brady like that ... wow
We have Sloter
Formerly AADPFan
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

YikesVikes wrote: Imagine if our picks of Patterson or Treadwell developed in the level of a first rounder This offense would be unstoppable. Would love to see Treadwell become average and Cooks return next season.
It's pretty hard for Treadwell to do that when he has two in front of him performing like they are. We might not ever know Treadwells true skill at this rate. A #3 WR is only so involved in an offense, especially when you have two studs in front of him gobbling up targets
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Not taking anything away from Thielen but wasnt Norman on Diggs most of the game?? Who also embarrassed Norman
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote: He left before you could. Writing was on the wall. Savvy vet move.

Just for the record, it would have been done with kindness and respect. Jim was always civil and smart, even when I disagreed with him. I genuinely miss having him around here.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Several of Thielen's grab had Norman in coverage. In Norman's defense it looked like on a few of those plays they were playing zone and Thielen was floating into the soft spots. (Kudos to Thielen in that respect)

Why they would play zone with a guy like Norman begs a few questions, but this isn't a Redskins board.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Norman is horribly overrated. Rhodes plays the top WR on each team and always shuts them down. Norman had a decent game against Beckham and everyone anointed him. I've never been a big fan of his.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018