View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:42 pm



Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year 
Author Message
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Yes I know it's early but you guys know me. I love the offseason. Of course I dont want to take anything away from this season but I've been thinking about our needs going into next year. We dont have a TON of needs but there are definitely a few spots we could improve. I think our needs are as follows in order:

T1.) QB (Who knows what we will do here)
T1.) DT (Need someone dominant next to Linval. I think we go here with our 1st round pick)
3.) OG (Berger is probably retiring and Easton is decent but not great. Isidora could fill or we could draft one)
4.) SS (I use to hate Sendejo but he's played much better the last two years. Would still like to find a better S)
5.) CB (If Newman goes, we dont have much depth here)
6.) TE (If Rudy went down we'd be in trouble there. Morgan is more of a blocking guy IMO)
7.) KR (We really havent impressed there this season. PR is fine but need to find a KR)


Our in-house FA's will be:

QB- Sam Bradford

QB- Teddy Bridgewater

QB- Case Keenum

RB- Jerick McKinnon

WR- Michael Floyd

OG- Joe Berger

DT- Shariff Floyd

DT- Tom Johnson

DT- Shamar Stephen

LB- Emmanuel Lamur

CB- Terrence Newman

CB- Trumaine Brock

K- Kai Forbath

PR- Marcus Sherels


A lot of good players we have to look to re-sign. Here is a link to upcoming FA's for other teams http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Thoughts?

_________________
Image


Last edited by Pondering Her Percy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:55 am
Profile
Pro Bowl Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Posts: 823
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Resign them all except Bradford.

Then trade them all to the Packers for Rodgers.

We get Rodgers and the Packers get starters and the depth that they don't have.

Win/win


Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2898
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Priority:
QB- Teddy Bridgewater, we all have opinions, lets just not turn this thread into a QB debate

RB- Jerick McKinnon, Don't feel comfortable with Cook off an injury (I suspect his pass blocking will suffer next year until he can trust the knee again) and Murray. If Jet commands too much on the open market, let him go, but I think he'll be affordable

DT- Tom Johnson, Sebastian Thunderbucket has been playing inspired football for us

K- Kai Forbath, I feel confident in him, although I would understand if others did not

PR- Marcus Sherels, At this point it looks like he's gonna be finding a way to make the team until he's 50


If possible:
QB- Sam Bradford or QB- Case Keenum, if we can get either of them for 5mil/year (I doubt it too, I'm just saying)

WR- Michael Floyd, if he likes his current contract, I like him as WR #5

OG- Joe Berger, but this is his last year according to Joe

DT- Shariff Floyd, may Odin have mercy on your knee

DT- Shamar Stephen, maybe

LB- Emmanuel Lamur, I have no opinion on, really

CB- Terrence Newman, just sign him as a secondary consultant or whatever

CB- Trumaine Brock, similar to Michael Floyd. He's a dandy as our #5


Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
I've personally never been a Michael Floyd fan. Ever. I think we can let him walk. He wont want to stick around to be a #5 WR. Wright is more effective and should be the 4. Coley could be our #5. Floyd is really the only one I would like to see let go.

I personally think Keenum and Teddy/Sam (one of the two) are must keeps. Keenum is a solid fall back option. Keep one of the two busted knees and draft a QB. That would be the most ideal scenario IMO.

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm
Profile
Hall of Fame Inductee
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Posts: 4620
Location: Watertown, NY
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Other FA's I'm interested in are Dontari Poe and Bennie Logan. I think either would be a great fill in at DT. Both are 27 and still very effective.

Cousins is my QB if we were to let Teddy and Sam go

TE Luke Wilson would be a good pass catching option behind Rudy

The guard FA class is not very good at all. Should probably draft there

There are some solid CBs out there that could make good #4 guys. I honestly trust Zimmer with any CB

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:36 pm
Profile
Career Elite Player
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:46 am
Posts: 2898
Location: Missouri
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
I've personally never been a Michael Floyd fan. Ever. I think we can let him walk. He wont want to stick around to be a #5 WR. Wright is more effective and should be the 4. Coley could be our #5. Floyd is really the only one I would like to see let go.

I personally think Keenum and Teddy/Sam (one of the two) are must keeps. Keenum is a solid fall back option. Keep one of the two busted knees and draft a QB. That would be the most ideal scenario IMO.
I can certainly see Floyd wanting to see more playing time, but I wonder if the combination of being released by Arizona and not picked back up by the Patriots before falling down the chart here might make him want to sign another prove-it deal with his home team. Maybe not, but I would certainly put that offer on the table.

From our perspective, few teams will have depth like we have, and Floyd can be a vicious blocker. I really like what he brings to the table if he understand his role.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17797
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
I thought Sherels was signed for a few years?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:17 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Posts: 3083
Location: Sebastian, FL
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
PurpleMustReign wrote:
I thought Sherels was signed for a few years?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Nope. He is a FA next year.

_________________
It's not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it's how many times you get back up and try again.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:55 pm
Profile
Starter

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:40 pm
Posts: 131
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Yes I know it's early but you guys know me. I love the offseason. Of course I dont want to take anything away from this season but I've been thinking about our needs going into next year. We dont have a TON of needs but there are definitely a few spots we could improve. I think our needs are as follows in order:

T1.) QB (Who knows what we will do here)
T1.) DT (Need someone dominant next to Linval. I think we go here with our 1st round pick)
3.) OG (Berger is probably retiring and Easton is decent but not great. Isidora could fill or we could draft one)
4.) SS (I use to hate Sendejo but he's played much better the last two years. Would still like to find a better S)
5.) CB (If Newman goes, we dont have much depth here)
6.) TE (If Rudy went down we'd be in trouble there. Morgan is more of a blocking guy IMO)
7.) KR (We really havent impressed there this season. PR is fine but need to find a KR)


Our in-house FA's will be:

QB- Sam Bradford

QB- Teddy Bridgewater

QB- Case Keenum

RB- Jerick McKinnon

WR- Michael Floyd

OG- Joe Berger

DT- Shariff Floyd

DT- Tom Johnson

DT- Shamar Stephen

LB- Emmanuel Lamur

CB- Terrence Newman

CB- Trumaine Brock

K- Kai Forbath

PR- Marcus Sherels


A lot of good players we have to look to re-sign. Here is a link to upcoming FA's for other teams http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Thoughts?


If you love gaming this out and looking at the offseason you may want to try
https://fanspeak.com/mtc/
You will get different players available depending on simulation of the other 31teams.

In my opinion several of the contracts the players will accept are way out of wack this early particularly players like Keenum who have made a massive case for themselves and I believe the contracts are always increasing so a 5 year $25M per year contract might only be 17M against the cap in 2018 or something.
I see more flat contract structure, plus you can't overlook players like Diggs, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter entering final year of their contract and if you want to be true to how Vikings tend to manage the cap you should intentionally overpay players to better represent a flat contract structure in the only year the simulator shows you the cap room...
but still provides a good idea of what Vikings could do if you don't try to game the flaws in the pricing too hard and take into account the future.

If you do, you end up resigning Barr for 6 year under 7M a year, landing Keenum for a 6 year 2M, keeping Teddy for 9M/yr for 6 years, still landing Brees for 25M a year, landing Jimmy Graham, cutting some players like Murray and Robison and resigning them for less, ending up signing Sean Smith and Prince Amukamara for 2M/yr and signing Kyle Williams and Claiborne at DL and landing Jarvis Landry and stuff like that and still having $10M in cap room left over. I'd take that every time and if we have to rebuild afterwards a little so be it, but I think that is not realistic and may not fit the schemes of what we are trying to do either.


Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile
Starting Wide Receiver
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Posts: 17797
Location: Crystal, MN
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Raptorman wrote:
PurpleMustReign wrote:
I thought Sherels was signed for a few years?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Nope. He is a FA next year.
He needs to be brought back. He affects field position with his punt returns.


Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

_________________
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2016‬


Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hall of Fame Candidate
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:52 am
Posts: 3488
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Agree w/ PHP on Floyd and QB.

QB is obviously the most important conundrum facing this franchise. We have all the other pieces now. If Bradford were healthy, I'd believe in our chances to take the SB this year. Even more with both Sam and Dalvin.

I honestly don't have a strong opinion at this point--it all depends on how the rest of this season unravels. Does Teddy step in and show us that he can be our future? Does Case continue to defy expectations with his grit and leadership and convince everyone that he is not only starter material, but has the potential to be the franchise guy? Personally, I doubt both of those scenarios, but I'd love to be wrong.


Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am
Profile
Strong Safety
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:05 am
Posts: 11411
Location: California
Post Re: Must-Keep and Must-Have going into next year
Honestly I like Sam a lot but the guy can’t stay on the field long
enough to matter.

Teddy who knows we have not seen him play in almost two years.

I would like to see upgrade at chad’s old spot another
OG or OT and QB for either Teddy or Sam leaving

_________________
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 808vikingsfan, akvikingsfan, Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.