Sam-Teddy-Case thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Sam-Teddy-Case thread

Post by DK Sweets »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: It's really interesting, isn't it?

For every Wally Pipp to Lou Gehrig story, there are 100 Nick Foles stories. There truly is no way to tell, although history shows us that the odds are long for Case Keenum to become a franchise quarterback.

And I'm not here petitioning for Case Keenum to be the long-term answer at quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings. I'm just presenting scenarios. The team decided way back in the spring not to pick up Teddy's year-5 option. If you could pump Rick Spielman full of truth serum, he'd probably tell you it was probably because even THE VIKINGS didn't think Teddy would make it back. Not only that, the Vikings thought they had a rejuvenated Sam Bradford to man the helm. No matter the reasons, their declining his 5th year option has set up a potential mess here. Case Keenum has led the Vikings to 6 straight wins. He's playing exceptionally well right now. How do you realistically bench him for Teddy Bridgewater at this point? The Vikings can take a 3-game lead with 5 to play by beating Detroit. They are one game behind Philly for the No. 1 seed. The only way you risk blowing all that is if Case Keenum falters or suffers an injury.

If Case weren't playing as well as he is, the answer would be easy. Hand the ball to Teddy. But if Case weren't playing as well as he is, the Vikings probably wouldn't be 8-2.

Now look ahead to next year. Teddy doesn't seem like the vindictive type, but say he decides the Vikings have dissed him by a) not picking up his 5th year option, and b) not giving him a chance to win back the starting job. It's possible he says, "I worked my tail off, stayed in Minnesota, rehabbed my a$$ off, went to every meeting, was the greatest teammate known to man, made it back ... and they didn't let me play!" What then? Is it possible he'd leave? If so, there would be plenty of suitors for the services of a recent division-winning quarterback. "Welcome to the season opener here in Orchard Park, NY, where the Buffalo Bills will start their new quarterback, Teddy Bridgewater, the former Viking. The Bills are confident he'll be an upgrade over Nathan '5 Pick' Peterman, whose play reminds us more of Mr. Peterman from Seinfeld than an actual NFL quarterback."

In that situation, Case Keenum might actually be our best option.

Or what if Case defies the odds and gets us all the way to the Super Bowl or even the NFCC Game? Does our collective opinion of him change? Is he still "not the quarterback to get us to the Super Bowl" if he actually DOES get us to the Super Bowl? Cuz I can tell you this ... while Case Keenum might in fact turn out to be Nick Foles of 2013, he is definitely NOT Trent Dilfer of 2000. He's better than that by a mile.

So I guess my point is that short-term is easy. Stick with the hot hand. Long-term ... sticking with Case might be a sticky wicket.
After discussing this, I really agree that we have to stick with Case for now. I think he's earned that. I don't think he's earned the job outright, though, and if he struggles,Teddy has earned the right to supplant him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I don't know that Teddy's value is going to be all that high after this season, especially if he doesn't play. There's just so much risk with that knee, it could be a ticking time bomb and as much as I like him, his play hasn't been that good to warrant a huge contract given the risk.

Unless he plays lights out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 1 year prove it deal. Perhaps heavy incentive laden.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I don't think Case or Teddy would have any problems signing on with another team next year.
The thing is if Sam was healthy, there is a good chance Teddy would be on IR right now.

Kapp enjoy reading the posts!
Hopefully we can keep on winning!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

I predict that both Case and Teddy have contracts with the Vikings by the end of the league year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It wouldn't surprise me to see Case traded after the season for a high-ish draft pick.
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Cliff wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see Case traded after the season for a high-ish draft pick.
Case is only under contract through the end of the year. I don't see him re-signing just for us to trade him.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

We are going to be in a really bad spot by the end of the season. All 3 QBs will be free agents, and we will have to make some very difficult decisions. You can't give starting money to two QBs.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

720pete wrote:We are going to be in a really bad spot by the end of the season. All 3 QBs will be free agents, and we will have to make some very difficult decisions. You can't give starting money to two QBs.
IF (big if) Case wins a Super Bowl, it's a "no-brainer." Where it gets difficult would be is if Case has some success in the post season but falls short. Is he a one-year wonder? Will Teddy be able to regain the form it looked like had had when he went down? Tune in tomorrow for another episode of: "As the Quarterbacks' Fates Turn."
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

akvikingsfan wrote: Case is only under contract through the end of the year. I don't see him re-signing just for us to trade him.
There is that minor detail, isn't there? lol
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

A flip side of the coin that hasn't been discussed is the fact that this team is going to be the premier destination for at least one QB this offseason. Name another team with Super Bowl level defense, excellent offensive line and skill position players looking to sign a starting QB? If you're Teddy, Case, or just about any other free agent QB the Vikes have to be near the top of your list of preferred destinations, if not the top spot!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

SP1966 wrote:A flip side of the coin that hasn't been discussed is the fact that this team is going to be the premier destination for at least one QB this offseason. Name another team with Super Bowl level defense, excellent offensive line and skill position players looking to sign a starting QB? If you're Teddy, Case, or just about any other free agent QB the Vikes have to be near the top of your list of preferred destinations, if not the top spot!
Thats a really good point. We will have a much better chance of choosing our QB than we would in most years.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

All I can say is this - if the Vikings were to get to and/or win the Superbowl this year, Keenum will be a big reason why that happened.

Can anyone imagine us having a similar conversation about Adam Thielen and, say, Treadwell? I mean, of the two, Treadwell should be the better player in time if not right now. He was draft in the 1st round. He's got the physical stats and tools to be a dominant wide receiver. He just has to perform on the field.

For some reason though, that choice would be obvious if the Vikings had to make it. If they had to choose between the two right now, they'd keep Thielen. He's getting it done every week.

That's not an exact comparison, of course, but it is similar. Nobody knows how Bridgewater will perform when it counts. Even Teddy doesn't know that. So absent Bridgewater getting on the field this year and finding out, Keenum is what they know and he's been getting it done. It hasn't always been pretty, but it rarely is. I think if it comes down to it and Keenum gets them deep into the playoffs and/or wins it all, I just could not see a scenario where they let him walk any more than I could see them let Thielen walk at this point in favor of Treadwell's potential.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I'm curious to see what happens if the Vikings clinch the division/playoffs early. Obviously getting a 1 or 2 seed is huge, but how much does Zimmer trust his defense and the players around the QB on offense to still put Teddy out there at some point to evaluate? If the playoffs are locked up and the Vikings are running away with a game early, say against GB, then I wouldn't be surprised to see Teddy in there. I think it can only cause more harm then good even though I really want to see Teddy in there and thriving.

If he doesn't play well then oh well...Case it is. If he plays really well then the Vikings just created an issue.

I still also think Case might have a game down the stretch where he isn't playing well and they turn to Teddy. A lot of time left, but it's an interesting dynamic given the contract situation for their QB's.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

SP1966 wrote:A flip side of the coin that hasn't been discussed is the fact that this team is going to be the premier destination for at least one QB this offseason. Name another team with Super Bowl level defense, excellent offensive line and skill position players looking to sign a starting QB? If you're Teddy, Case, or just about any other free agent QB the Vikes have to be near the top of your list of preferred destinations, if not the top spot!
Great points. And not only that ... who wouldn't want to play in U.S. Bank Stadium in front of our fans?

Of course, the key determining factor is going to be money. It always is.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just read this. Call it crazy talk if you like, but remember, I didn't say it.
Pro Football Talk’s Michael David Smith wrote:“Keenum wouldn’t be my first choice for league MVP, but he absolutely deserves some consideration, having played very well this season after being thrown in following a Week One injury to Sam Bradford,” Pro Football Talk’s Michael David Smith wrote. “If Keenum plays well and the Vikings keep winning, and maybe if Carson Wentz and Tom Brady have some bad games down the stretch, Keenum really has a chance to be named league MVP.
Wow.

Read the full article.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.