Week 5 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Week 5 Reaction Thread

Post by Texas Vike »

Glad to get out of Soldier Field on MNF with a win. The way things were going, with fluke plays that resulted in points for CHI, it was starting to feel like a classic Vikings loss despite clearly outplaying the opponent.

What an ugly game. The whole first half was garbage on offense. Sam had no business being out there. His injury is affecting his confidence. He's not ready.
I'm really glad they made a move to get Keenum. Smart offseason move. He's a perfect backup QB. Paired with our D, he can win us some games to get us through a period of injuries.

One detail I found interesting: the commentator (McDonough) said that Sam's bone bruise was in his knee. Has that been revealed, or was he just speculating? If so, which bone, the patella? Or is it the femur or tibia?

I agree with the sentiments upthread that Waynes just doesn't convince me. Seems to lack FB awareness.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:Glad to get out of Soldier Field on MNF with a win. The way things were going, with fluke plays that resulted in points for CHI, it was starting to feel like a classic Vikings loss despite clearly outplaying the opponent.

What an ugly game. The whole first half was garbage on offense. Sam had no business being out there. His injury is affecting his confidence. He's not ready.
I'm really glad they made a move to get Keenum. Smart offseason move. He's a perfect backup QB. Paired with our D, he can win us some games to get us through a period of injuries.

One detail I found interesting: the commentator (McDonough) said that Sam's bone bruise was in his knee. Has that been revealed, or was he just speculating? If so, which bone, the patella? Or is it the femur or tibia?

I agree with the sentiments upthread that Waynes just doesn't convince me. Seems to lack FB awareness.
Confirmed bone bruise in left knee. No more details known.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

My reactions:

1) Bradford's knee was not healthy. He was immobile and not able to step into throws. Coaches should have recognized this and not started him. Keenum is a capable backup... it's not like we have a terrible option if Bradford can't play.

2) The back of Bradford's head hit the turf hard when he got sacked. You could tell he was not clear-headed after that. Kept blinking and trying to clear his head. He obviously suffered a concussion. The trainers had him sitting on the bench and were evaluating him and then they put him back in the game. Stupid. Irresponsible. And he was pitiful out there. :steamed:

3) Keenum did a great job. The whole offense woke up when he came in. He took charge and made some good throws and even had a great 1st down run. I like this guy. We're lucky to have him.

4) The punt team did a great job. Had plenty of opportunities, unfortunately, but they pinned the Bears several times.

5) Kyle Rudolph was solid... made some key catches and kept the sticks moving.

6) Jerick McKInnon had an outstanding 2nd half. The kid can play, but I worry about his durability the way he runs inside. He thinks he's AD. He is not convincing me as a KR, though. I wonder if one of our WR's might be better?

7) The Defense rocked! Great play from the whole unit. Sendejo and Smith are quite the pair of safeties. Is there a better pair in the NFL? The pass rush was key and the LB's use their speed really. well.

8. MIchael Floyd... hope to see more from him. He definitely has the big body and reach. Could make Jarius Wright completely redundant... and I hear the Giants are in need of WRs really badly... Spielman should get on the phone.

All in all, we got the road win after a very bumpy first half. That was huge. The NFC North is no cakewalk this year. We need to win these games. :govikes: :govikes: :govikes:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Confirmed bone bruise in left knee. No more details known.

That's vague as can be, certainly by design.

I don't want to see Bradford back until he looks confident in his knee.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Could have been a blowout if CK started. Safety never would've happened and who knows about the trick plays/ luck that the Bears had on their side.

Reffing was a wash or in our favor. The bears had a TD and 2 or 3 other big plays nullified by penalty.

2nd half was more enjoyable that the first half (even if it was a close back and forth, it was exciting to watch and to be on the good side of the game winning score). The wiff was nearly falling asleep at half time but wide awake by the end of the game.

Couldnt figure out why Mckinnnon was in so much but was glad that he had a decent day on offense. I really hope we can get Murray going though.

Bradford was ugly, I am on the Bradford bandwagon, he is a great passer. I would feel bad if this "flare up" cost him a job. Our O-line looked better with the Mobile QB, so maybe Teddy/Keenum is the best combo going forward for the team. Just a reaction.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Rudolph, best game of the season. Hopefully we see more of him going forward.

Edit: UGLY - Our backups on D need to wrap up when they tackle! (Alexander and whatever LB that was on the fake punt after Sherles wiffed)
Last edited by Grashopa on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly AADPFan
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

is Sloter "mobile"?
Formerly AADPFan
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

soflavike wrote:
8. MIchael Floyd... hope to see more from him. He definitely has the big body and reach. Could make Jarius Wright completely redundant... and I hear the Giants are in need of WRs really badly... Spielman should get on the phone.

All in all, we got the road win after a very bumpy first half. That was huge. The NFC North is no cakewalk this year. We need to win these games. :govikes: :govikes: :govikes:
I would hold on to Wright seeing as how Diggs is dealing with a groin injury (again). I think Thielen, Floyd, & Wright is very capable. Treadwell is slipping away it seems.
nightowl
Career Elite Player

Post by nightowl »

Bad:

Bradford should not have been playing last night. I'm a fan of Zimmer, but this was a bad judgement call and he waited too long to pull him. The way the offense moved under Case makes me believe had he started the Vikes would've won by 10-14 points.

I'm losing faith in Waynes as a CB, wonder if he may be better at Safety/Centerfielder?

Remmers weakness against highly athletic Edge rushers showed up tonight, Particularly when he had a hobbled Bradford back there.

Diggs' injury. Can we have one week where a Key player isn't getting hurt please?

Good:

Case Kennum to the rescue. I'm so glad the Vikes brought this guy in, I love his attitude.

Kyle Rudolph sighting.

Last night gave me hope that they can get by with the combo of McKinnin, Murray and creative use of the receivers to make up for some of the loss of Cook. The threat won't be the same but at least they can have something to keep the defense honest.

Defense eventually stepped up and when you look at it all of the points that Chicago scored were on very fluky plays. Bradford's safety, the fake punt, the batted pass right into the TE's hands and the trick play.

Questions going forward:

I'm anxious to see how Floyd will fit into the offense. He's a big body Deep threat and the Vikes have shown a willingness to chuck it down field this year. He could come up big. It stinks that Diggs is hurting now. That would be a pretty good 3 WR set with Floyd, Diggs and Theilen w/ Rudolph at TE all on the field at the same time.

The QB lineup going forward. Right now they have Sam, Case and Sloter, With Teddy due back in the coming weeks.

I've been wondering how they will deal with Activating Teddy for a while. That would make 4 QB's and they would have a decision to make on Sloter. Given how hard the fight was to get this guy after Denver let him go I don't think there is any way they can sneak him back through waivers onto the Practice squad. I would like to see them keep him seeing as he's the closest thing to a developmental prospect for the future.

Maybe Sam ends up on IR? If Sam ends up on IR, that will clear it up and they can keep Sloter on the roster.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Really need to have Slotter active next week. Vikes are playing with fire having only one healthy QB active.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I have to disagree with those of you thinking that the reffing was biased towards the Vikings. Clearly, that's what Gruden wanted us to think. He was so pro-Bears that I had to turn off the sound and play the Vikings radio broadcast through my phone in the first half. The first two penalties he disputed were the obvious offensive PI, where the receiver pushed off the Vikes defender's helmet, and the first holding penalty on the offensive lineman, which was just classic holding. As to the holding on the sweep that scored the TD, our view was obstructed, so we (and Gruden) couldn't see the Bears player's hands.

By the second half, the Vikes were playing better, so I could take listening to Gruden and his obvious desire to see Trubisky lead the Bears on a game-winning drive.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm just wondering if you might see Bradford put on IR with the designation to return. A lot probably all depends on how Teddy looks.

I am not sure we got such a bargain when we gave up a 7th for Brock. He had 2 costly Penalties last night.
And had a bad game against the Lions. So far he has been doing more harm than good.

The touchdown on the fake punt was ridiculous...heads should roll over that play.

Hopefully Murray progresses from the Bears game. I know it was his first game back.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

halfgiz wrote:I'm just wondering if you might see Bradford put on IR with the designation to return. A lot probably all depends on how Teddy looks.

I am not sure we got such a bargain when we gave up a 7th for Brock. He had 2 costly Penalties last night.
And had a bad game against the Lions. So far he has been doing more harm than good.

The touchdown on the fake punt was ridiculous...heads should roll over that play.

Hopefully Murray progresses from the Bears game. I know it was his first game back.
Again, if you watched Murray close enough on his first 6 carries, they ranged from 3-8 yards every time which is pretty good. Then he got the ball very sporadically after that.

As for Teddy, doesnt he have to practice for 3 full weeks before he can play?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

John_Viveiros wrote:I have to disagree with those of you thinking that the reffing was biased towards the Vikings. Clearly, that's what Gruden wanted us to think. He was so pro-Bears that I had to turn off the sound and play the Vikings radio broadcast through my phone in the first half. The first two penalties he disputed were the obvious offensive PI, where the receiver pushed off the Vikes defender's helmet, and the first holding penalty on the offensive lineman, which was just classic holding. As to the holding on the sweep that scored the TD, our view was obstructed, so we (and Gruden) couldn't see the Bears player's hands.

By the second half, the Vikes were playing better, so I could take listening to Gruden and his obvious desire to see Trubisky lead the Bears on a game-winning drive.
I think the reffing was evenly bad. I was actually mad at the holding call at the end on the Bears' DE. That was awful. The offensive PI against the Bears' WR was bad too. The holding call on Waynes was dumb because the QB was running... why the hell would a defender hold someone when someone else is running the ball? I was shocked they picked up the flag on Sendejo's hit.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

John_Viveiros wrote:I have to disagree with those of you thinking that the reffing was biased towards the Vikings. Clearly, that's what Gruden wanted us to think. He was so pro-Bears that I had to turn off the sound and play the Vikings radio broadcast through my phone in the first half. The first two penalties he disputed were the obvious offensive PI, where the receiver pushed off the Vikes defender's helmet, and the first holding penalty on the offensive lineman, which was just classic holding. As to the holding on the sweep that scored the TD, our view was obstructed, so we (and Gruden) couldn't see the Bears player's hands.

Thank you for saying this. I was beginning to think I was the only one. I've never seen Jon Gruden so blatantly biased. It was sickening. Even my wife, who barely watches, asked if we were watching Bears announcers. She wasn't being facetious.

Seriously, what kind of national broadcaster says, "How great would it be to see Mitchell Trubisky lead this team on a game-winning drive"? Ridiculous!

I don't get KFAN where I am. Wonder if the Vikings game broadcasts are on iHeart Radio. Probably not.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Again, if you watched Murray close enough on his first 6 carries, they ranged from 3-8 yards every time which is pretty good. Then he got the ball very sporadically after that.

As for Teddy, doesnt he have to practice for 3 full weeks before he can play?

@christomasson
31m
Eric Sugarman quote on Teddy Bridgewater: "He will be reevaluated by his surgeon next Monday and then we'll take it from there.''

Vikings have 3 weeks before they have to decide if they are going to put Teddy on the active 53 man roster. Or he goes to Pup/IR