Vikings Message Board.Com
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/

Week 4 reaction thread
http://vikingsmessageboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29958
Page 2 of 2

Author:  VikingLord [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

VikingPaul73 wrote:
5. At this point, the best outcome for this season is a high draft pick next year, and Slick Rick and Zim getting fired. Sorry to say that and throw in the towel so early, but this team after the "rebuild" is mediocre at best. Time for the Wilfs to recognize this and move on.....


It sucks to lose, but the way I see it the Vikes could have easily won the game yesterday. They were not out-classed nor out-coached, but they did have some horrible bad luck and the Lions were just barely good enough to take advantage of it. Both the Steelers and the Lions are generally considered to be among the top teams in the league this year, and I didn't think either looked especially great against the Vikes despite the Vikes repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot. It cannot be overstated that defense wins games and as long as the Vikings have the defense they have, I don't think they need a world-beater offense to win. They need competent and efficient offense, and they can still have that even without Bradford and Cook in the lineup.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

mansquatch wrote:
Pondering Her Percy wrote:
petev_sj wrote:
Teddy Bridgewater out for season, none contact.

Sam Bradford out for 5 weeks, may be more, none contact?!?

Dalvin Cook. ACL end of season most likely, none contact.

I am almost convinced that some super natural force does not want this team to succeed. I know injuries happen in Football, but why always to the most important player at the most crucial time?

Oh well, back to the bottle. :ripple:


Exactly it always seems like its the 1-2 guys we cant afford to lose. God forbid some scrub blows his knee out on this team


This pretty much sums up the season IMO. Add in the comment about the offense not able to hold up it's end of the bargain and that is it in a nutshell.

Kapp's comments on Bradford and dead on the money. We lost yesterday primarily because our QB couldn't make the plays that were there to be made.


Very good point. And to be honest, I dont want to be the guy that uses the injury card again but my god, how do you not at this point. I said this last year too but take guys like Big Ben and Leveon off the Steelers or Ryan and Freeman off the Falcons. Are we going to fault their GM or coach when they lose?? There are points where the injury are near impossible to overcome no matter how well you draft or how much depth you have. We are in a better situation this year with having Keenum and Murray as backups but they are still significant downgrades at those positions. I feel like some expect our depth to be some kind of upgrade when a guy goes down. They would be starters for us or for someone else if that was the case.

Keenum cant make the throws Bradford can and has nowhere near the accuracy. Murray doesnt have the quickness/shiftiness that Cook has. This can cost us some games. And that is not on Mike Zimmer or Rick Spielman. They brought the right guys in in Cook and Bradford. They did their job. When a guy gets injured there is nothing a GM or coach can do beside go out there and give it the best you can with the guys you have. However, you better expect a less explosive offense from here on out. We were #2 in total offense/yards going into the game yesterday. I can guarantee we wont be there at years end with these two guys out.

Author:  purpletinted66 [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

the problem is we need to revert to 1998 uniforms, our uniforms look like they were made by some silly designer, no offense

Author:  Dmizzle0 [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Do you guys think it might be the field or maybe the cleats? I initially thought it was weird seeing Diggs falling while catching a deep pass and when we was trying to get back up he couldn't regain his footing and kept slipping.

With Cook, it looked like he ran up the middle and when he tried to stop to do a last minute juke his foot slipped not allowing him to plant it properly causing him to get injured.

Author:  J. Kapp 11 [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Dmizzle0 wrote:
Do you guys think it might be the field or maybe the cleats? I initially thought it was weird seeing Diggs falling while catching a deep pass and when we was trying to get back up he couldn't regain his footing and kept slipping.

With Cook, it looked like he ran up the middle and when he tried to stop to do a last minute juke his foot slipped not allowing him to plant it properly causing him to get injured.

IMO, Cook was injured because, well, **it happens. It wasn't the turf. He had just burst through for 10 yards. He was about to school the guy trying to tackle him ... had him completely set up. When he planted that left foot to make his cut, the knee just didn't take the stress.

I can understand Cook's injury a lot more than what happened to Bridgewater. Teddy was just dropping back during passing drills. No eluding the rush. No cutting. Nothing but dropping back. And that was on grass.

Sometimes it just freaking happens. Unfortunately, it seems to happen to us a lot.

Author:  Dmizzle0 [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Dmizzle0 wrote:
Do you guys think it might be the field or maybe the cleats? I initially thought it was weird seeing Diggs falling while catching a deep pass and when we was trying to get back up he couldn't regain his footing and kept slipping.

With Cook, it looked like he ran up the middle and when he tried to stop to do a last minute juke his foot slipped not allowing him to plant it properly causing him to get injured.

IMO, Cook was injured because, well, **it happens. It wasn't the turf. He had just burst through for 10 yards. He was about to school the guy trying to tackle him ... had him completely set up. When he planted that left foot to make his cut, the knee just didn't take the stress.

I can understand Cook's injury a lot more than what happened to Bridgewater. Teddy was just dropping back during passing drills. No eluding the rush. No cutting. Nothing but dropping back. And that was on grass.

Sometimes it just freaking happens. Unfortunately, it seems to happen to us a lot.


True that. Well its the next man up. I think Murray will do alright. It just adds more pressure to our passing game. I also think that Mckinnon was trying to prove something because of those crazy attempts of running the ball from the endzone during kickoffs. Now he'll have plenty of opportunities to show us what he's got.

Author:  PacificNorseWest [ Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Week 4 reaction:

:wallbang:

Author:  FullWood [ Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

I want to think its the turf but then more people would be hurt by now time will tell. I want to say the cleats but what cleats would be better? I want to say were cursed but......

Author:  IrishViking [ Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

I am not that worried. Obviously Cook is crushing but Detroit is good this year and it took a terrible freak accident that directly caused a fumble and lead to 7 points. If that doesn't happen I think we easily get a least a field goal and win 7-10.

Author:  Cliff [ Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

FullWood wrote:
I want to think its the turf but then more people would be hurt by now time will tell. I want to say the cleats but what cleats would be better? I want to say were cursed but......


I did a little reading on it and one of the problems is you can't just ask "is turf better or worse than grass?". The kind of turf matters a lot and there hasn't been time to do a lot of research on it as a whole.

Author:  Pondering Her Percy [ Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

IrishViking wrote:
I am not that worried. Obviously Cook is crushing but Detroit is good this year and it took a terrible freak accident that directly caused a fumble and lead to 7 points. If that doesn't happen I think we easily get a least a field goal and win 7-10.


Agreed 100%

Author:  Purple Reign [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

FullWood wrote:
I want to think its the turf but then more people would be hurt by now time will tell. I want to say the cleats but what cleats would be better? I want to say were cursed but......


I think we will find ACL injuries become more and more common and it's not because of the turf. Athletes are getting bigger and stronger but the ACL isn't designed to handle the type of strain that athletes put on their knees. The following is from an article about why ACL injuries are so common:

The problem comes in when we try to make sudden shifts in the weight strain on our knees. When we stop suddenly while running, or when we make a sharp turn at high speed, our knees must bear the force of this sudden, intense strain.

Sometimes, the ACL is simply not strong enough to hold our leg bones together as they twist or pull away from each other under the force of our momentum, and so it frequently tears.

Full article here: https://thehumanevolutionblog.com/2015/ ... or-design/

Author:  PurpleMustReign [ Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Purple Reign wrote:
FullWood wrote:
I want to think its the turf but then more people would be hurt by now time will tell. I want to say the cleats but what cleats would be better? I want to say were cursed but......


I think we will find ACL injuries become more and more common and it's not because of the turf. Athletes are getting bigger and stronger but the ACL isn't designed to handle the type of strain that athletes put on their knees. The following is from an article about why ACL injuries are so common:

The problem comes in when we try to make sudden shifts in the weight strain on our knees. When we stop suddenly while running, or when we make a sharp turn at high speed, our knees must bear the force of this sudden, intense strain.

Sometimes, the ACL is simply not strong enough to hold our leg bones together as they twist or pull away from each other under the force of our momentum, and so it frequently tears.

Full article here: https://thehumanevolutionblog.com/2015/ ... or-design/
There are a couple of members here who are either doctors or who have studied sports medicine, and they essentially said the same thing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Author:  John_Viveiros [ Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Sorry I'm late with this. You've all probably already moved on.

The difference in the game was that the ball hit the turf four times, and Detroit recovered every one. From reading stat guys, recovering fumbles is basically a coin toss proposition - no team is "good" at fumble recovery, and if they are good one year (resulting in a better turnover ratio and better W-L record), they are unlikely to continue the next year (regression to the mean, which is 50% recovery). If the Vikes had recovered two of the fumbles - heck, if they had just secured Dalvin's - it would have been a completely different game.

Plus, the psychological hit of losing your top rookie like that. It lasted one Detroit series, but that was enough.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/