Week 4 reaction thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Week 4 reaction thread

Post by dead_poet »

Missed opportunities, anemic offense and losing Cook for the year. Other than that, an outstanding game.

/sarcasm

Phone lines open for venting.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Week 4 reaction thread

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:Missed opportunities, anemic offense and losing Cook for the year. Other than that, an outstanding game.

/sarcasm

Phone lines open for venting.
Don't forget the missed FG, missed tackles, and horrific officiating. I'm all for letting them. Play, but Diggs was manhandled all game long.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I saw a lot of excuses in the game day thread. Bradford out. Cook injury. Bad officiating. Blah blah blah

1. Yes, Bradford was out. But he is a below average starter and Keenum is an above average backup. So not a huge drop off. Also, he's always been injury prone. Since college. The Eagles' GM recognized this so drafted a QB early last year and dumped the injury prone Bradford and stole a 1st rounder. The Vikings' GM was desperate to salvage last season so traded a 1st rounder for a frail and injury prone QB to try to save his job. Now he is injured. Shocker. Advantage....Eagles' GM

2. Bad officiating. Yes, there were some blown calls, particularly missed PI calls. But if you listened to the announcers, this particular crew calls less PI than any crew in the NFL. Good coaching staffs watch film, recognize tendencies, and adjust game plan accordingly. Mediocre coaching staffs just do their thing and then whine about the officiating.

3. Injuries.... The Cook injury was brutal. It's devastating. Snake-bit franchise, what can I say? But the Lions had more injuries coming into this game than the Vikings. And they dealt with it, on the road. The Vikings on the other hand collapsed offensively, even with their "splash" signing stepping in at RB. He is terrible. Runs upright, goes down at 1st contact. He is terrible. Not sure what Rick saw to pay him $5 mil per year. Great pick with Cook, devastating loss today, but if Rick could have spent his $ wisely this offseason, the drop-off wouldn't have been so dramatic.

4. On the sack on goal to goal late in the 4th. WTF was Remmers doing??? Just horrible. How do you not at least attempt to block the DE lined up against you?? Not sure if that was coaching/scheme or if Remmers is just a moron, but that was absolutely brutal.

5. At this point, the best outcome for this season is a high draft pick next year, and Slick Rick and Zim getting fired. Sorry to say that and throw in the towel so early, but this team after the "rebuild" is mediocre at best. Time for the Wilfs to recognize this and move on.....
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Turnovers :whistle:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

As soon as Forbath missed the FG (after the announcers brought up how he was perfect lol) - I turned the game off. I knew what was coming - at least I managed to be productive the rest of the day haha.

Unfortunately, a lot of the same issues that plagued this team last year reared it's head again today: Inefficient defense on third down, horrible run defense, turnovers, and inefficient offense.

There was atrocious refereeing today - but we cannot use that as an excuse for why we lost. Our team was simply out-matched today. Plus, turning the ball over three times is never a recipe for a win.

Unfortunately, without above-average QB play we will not be much better than 8-8. Sam Bradford seemed poised for a big year - hopefully he can come back. Or hopefully Teddy can come back.

We might be riding Keenum for at least another week or two. NFC North games are tough enough - let alone when your team is down two high quality offensive starters.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Imagine you get told this at 8 in the morning...

"The Vikings hold the Lions to 300 total yards and do not allow 100 yards of rushing. They sack the Lions 6 times for 55 yards. Matthew Stafford fumbles and Prater misses a field goal and the Vikings hold the Lions to 14 points."

You'd have to expect a blowout victory for the Vikings, right?

The offense did not hold up to its end of the bargain at ALL, our place kicker is godawful again, McKinnon is a return liability and a mediocre at best running back and our promising rookie just got shelved for the season.

S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

The difference between a win and loss today was a handful of plays. Even if you omit the injuries and bad officiating, a Forbath kick and Keenum throwing to Thielen in the end zone was enough for a win.

This game was going to be a battle, and it was. I guess people thought we were going to steamroll the Lions and that's why they're upset? I don't know.

Some of the reactions are truly puzzling.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote:The difference between a win and loss today was a handful of plays. Even if you omit the injuries and bad officiating, a Forbath kick and Keenum throwing to Thielen in the end zone was enough for a win.

This game was going to be a battle, and it was. I guess people thought we were going to steamroll the Lions and that's why they're upset? I don't know.

It's just ridiculous. It literally makes this board unenjoyable. After this loss, I've heard "fire Spielman", "fire Zimmer", "we gotta just hope for a high pick now" and "blow this thing up and start a full rebuild". Just some of the dumbest crap I've heard on here in a while. One friggen loss and this is how some in our fan base react. Just a absolute joke
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

S197 wrote:The difference between a win and loss today was a handful of plays. Even if you omit the injuries and bad officiating, a Forbath kick and Keenum throwing to Thielen in the end zone was enough for a win.

The Lions won every aspect of the game. You can quote all the tlstats you want, but the Lions defense made plays when they had to. They got turnovers when they needed them. Their offense took advantage of the Vikings turnovers. They didn't miss any kicks, and they punted better than the Vikings.
Most importantly, they were horribly out coached. It was horrific seeing Detroit a step ahead of us the entire game.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleMustReign wrote:The Lions won every aspect of the game. You can quote all the tlstats you want, but the Lions defense made plays when they had to. They got turnovers when they needed them. Their offense took advantage of the Vikings turnovers. They didn't miss any kicks, and they punted better than the Vikings.
Most importantly, they were horribly out coached. It was horrific seeing Detroit a step ahead of us the entire game.

Plus, I am sick of being "a few plays" away from a win every week. When are they going to execute when they need it? When are they going to make a play when they need it?

VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:The Lions won every aspect of the game. You can quote all the tlstats you want, but the Lions defense made plays when they had to. They got turnovers when they needed them. Their offense took advantage of the Vikings turnovers. They didn't miss any kicks, and they punted better than the Vikings.

Very well said

1. With the parity in he NFL a few plays is what makes the difference. Good, Well coached teams make them, the Vikings don't

2. It's ridiculous to speculate on the outcome with a few different plays in the 3rd and early 4th. The lions were the better team and had a good strategy. With a 7 point lead and their D in total control, they played more conservatively on offense. Had kai made the FG or Keenum hit thielen then the lions would have been aggressive on offense and likely would have scored more than 14. As it stood, their HC rightfully recognized that there was no need to score more points so they played conservatively .

Good teams make plays at key times. Poor team miss blocks, miss assignments, miss throws, miss tackles , fumble, etc. that's the difference . The lions have beaten us 3 in a row. That isn't a coincidence or bad luck. They are a more talented, better coached team. Period.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Where is this "playing conservative" talk even coming from?? Did you talk to Jim Caldwell? They werent playing conservative. Matt Stafford attempted 31 passes. We attempted 30 but the Lions were playing conservative?? They couldn't convert a third down to save their life. Our defense was playing that good. No coach in the right mind just settles for a 7 point lead the entire 2nd half of the game when they are on the road or even at home no less. But all you want to do is praise Detroits coaching and talk about how "well coached" this team is and how the Vikings are poorly coached. Well let me ask you how Detroits history has been lately??

Zimmer has been 7-9, 11-5, and 8-8

Caldwell has been 11-5, 7-9 and 9-7

Neither has had a playoff win. But yeah keep getting a hard on for this Detroit coaching staff :roll: Zim and Caldwell practically have the same record since they've taken over as a head coach. But Caldwell is a mastermind that played us "conservative" today and thats why he's a better coach :confused:

I swear some fans do everything they can to complain about this team when they lose. You did nothing but talk up Caldwell and how he's such a better coach than Zimmer but clearly you did no research to find out that Caldwell has done NOTHING Zimmer hasnt done. This is the stuff some of us are talking about on here that makes this board unenjoyable. Posts like this that have no validity to them, backing to them, proof of anything, etc. Just a frustrated fan that just tries to find fault in every little thing this team does. We didnt play well. We lost the game. We're playing with a damn backup QB. Either way, the sky isn't falling. Move on
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

This board is so predictable, the wanna be GM's all come out of the woodwork and all they offer up is to fire every one. I believe that there are always going to be problems that come to the surface when you lose ,and it is perfectly fine to complain and vent, but to call for a complete dismantling from the top down is ludicrous.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingPaul73 wrote:1. Yes, Bradford was out. But he is a below average starter and Keenum is an above average backup. So not a huge drop off.
You have GOT to be kidding.

Case Keenum is so much of a dropoff from Sam Bradford that it's not even debatable. Keenum is a backup because his accuracy sucks. He missed throw after throw today, and many of the throws he did connect on were the direct result of his receivers bailing him out. And the missed read on Adam Thielen for what should have been an easy touchdown was just ... inexcusable for an NFL quarterback with 27 starts. Chris Spielman nailed it with his analysis: "As a quarterback, you read deep to short. But Keenum read short to deep. If he looks deep first, it's a touchdown." Instead, he dumped to a back who got plastered, which then led to our idiot kicker clanking a field goal.

Bradford may have an injury history, but he's among the top 2-3 most accurate quarterbacks in the NFL, no matter the length of throw. If Sam Bradford plays today, we win. Period. We didn't need an epic Brady/Manning performance to beat these guys today. We only needed competence, which Case Keenum cannot deliver consistently.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Horribly out coached how? They won by 7 points. What exactly did you see that led you to that conclusion?