Week 3 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

By the way ... the Vikings' cumulative QBR for the season right now is 115.4. That includes the Ryan Quigley debacle.

Also, Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are 2nd and 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards. Diggs is 8th at 17.2 yards per reception.

Dalvin Cook is second in the NFL in both rushing yards and yards from scrimmage.

Here's the most amazing stat. The Minnesota Vikings rank 2nd in the NFL in total yards with 1,201. That's 400.3 per game. I had to double-check that number because I couldn't believe it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:I'm interested to see how this offense performs when Floyd comes back. They have two very good weapons, a third would make for a really solid receiving corps.
Almost forgot about Floyd. Hopefully it adds a new dynamic to this offense
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

808vikingsfan wrote: Almost forgot about Floyd. Hopefully it adds a new dynamic to this offense
I did too. He comes back at a good time because we will be in Chicago.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I still worry about the pass defense.
And I agree about CJ Ham. He is looking really good so far.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Keep in mind, Case Keenum lost the first 8 games he started, all with the God-awful 2-14 Houston Texans in 2013.

That means he's 10-8 since then. That includes playing for Jeff Fisher last year.

He's not a bad quarterback. He's got the most passing yards in NCAA history, and he's had some fantastic games as a pro. I'm not saying he's a star, nor do I even think he should be the starter beyond keeping the team afloat until Sam returns. But he's a good player and showed it yesterday.

I think it's reasonable to ask who is the better QB? Keenum or Bradford?

Keenum is younger with more upside.

Much better mobility but still not great. Decent.

Doesn't have a glass knee that is shattered.

I don't think it would be wise unless some miracle happens and Bradford won the SB to toss a huge payday at him. Considering his injury proneness and lack of mobility and pocket presence.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

I would say Bradford's value has decreased significantly in the last two weeks because of his knee. With that said I still think he is the best long term option we have unless he gets another significant injury.

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

FireSpieldope wrote:I think it's reasonable to ask who is the better QB? Keenum or Bradford?
...I mean, I guess?
Keenum is younger with more upside. Much better mobility but still not great. Decent.
Well, Keenum is less than three months younger so I guess you're, technically, correct. More upside? I'm going to go with no on that one. As far as mobility, again, sure? By a fraction? But that's not either one of their games. It's a weakness on both. Like debating the tallest midget in the room, really.
Doesn't have a glass knee that is shattered.
Not having a twice-surgically-repaired-knee does put a win in his column there.
I don't think it would be wise unless some miracle happens and Bradford won the SB to toss a huge payday at him. Considering his injury proneness and lack of mobility and pocket presence.
I get Case had a very nice game. That's awesome. But Bradford is a better quarterback than Case Keenum, who is the owner of a sub-60% career completion percentage. You know who his stats compare to? Tarvaris Jackson. Stats don't say everything, of course, but let's not get carried away here.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:By the way ... the Vikings' cumulative QBR for the season right now is 115.4. That includes the Ryan Quigley debacle.

Also, Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs are 2nd and 3rd in the NFL in receiving yards. Diggs is 8th at 17.2 yards per reception.

Dalvin Cook is second in the NFL in both rushing yards and yards from scrimmage.

Here's the most amazing stat. The Minnesota Vikings rank 2nd in the NFL in total yards with 1,201. That's 400.3 per game. I had to double-check that number because I couldn't believe it.
It's a pretty remarkable turnaround from a year ago. I don't think it's sustainable, but even top-10 offensive numbers (consistently) would put us in the hunt. Zero turnovers too, right? *knocks on all the wood* Adam Thielen's story is pretty damn remarkable. I do wonder if the Vikings knew what they had in him a couple of years ago if they would've still drafted Treadwell. I have my doubts. Probably would've been WJIII.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think we have taken a big step forward on offense.

Diggs and Thelien are both having All Pro years so far.
At some point teams are going to have focus more on them,
if that happens Cook will have even better success.
I would like to see more consistency, of course. Yes it
is very early in the season but this team seems to be
going in the right direction. Let's hold our breath the
next month. Three straight divisional games.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: It's a pretty remarkable turnaround from a year ago. I don't think it's sustainable, but even top-10 offensive numbers (consistently) would put us in the hunt. Zero turnovers too, right? *knocks on all the wood* Adam Thielen's story is pretty damn remarkable. I do wonder if the Vikings knew what they had in him a couple of years ago if they would've still drafted Treadwell. I have my doubts. Probably would've been WJIII.
Actually, we have one turnover. I think it was a David Morgan fumble against Pittsburgh, but I had pretty much fallen asleep by that point, so I don't remember for sure.

Really interesting question about Treadwell, although in fairness, he IS on pace for 27 catches and 224 yards. Start sculpting that bronze bust, baby!

As far as Thielen is concerned, I will repeat for the eleventy-billionth time that he reminds me of Jordy Nelson, only nowhere near as ugly. He's tall, he's fast, he's strong, and he constantly seems to surprise opponents with his ability to beat them deep.

Not sure if this pace is sustainable, but I'm not convinced it's not. The parts are there. The O-line play has been improved, the quarterback play has been excellent, and we have a ton of depth at the skill positions. That depth grows even more with the return of Michael Floyd. He could be a real game changer for the Vikings, giving us all kinds of flexibility with routes and receivers. The other thing that has been really good is the play calling. With a couple of exceptions where Shurmur tried to get too cute with reverses and such, he's really been on his game. To me, there's as much potential for the offense to get BETTER as there is for it to regress. But then, I'm stupidly optimistic in all things Vikings, so there IS that.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:As far as Thielen is concerned, I will repeat for the eleventy-billionth time that he reminds me of Jordy Nelson, only nowhere near as ugly. He's tall, he's fast, he's strong, and he constantly seems to surprise opponents with his ability to beat them deep.
Nobody seems to take him as a legit threat. You know what I say to that? OK! Continue to underestimate his speed/hands/route-running. Please.
Not sure if this pace is sustainable, but I'm not convinced it's not. The parts are there. The O-line play has been improved, the quarterback play has been excellent, and we have a ton of depth at the skill positions. That depth grows even more with the return of Michael Floyd. He could be a real game changer for the Vikings, giving us all kinds of flexibility with routes and receivers. The other thing that has been really good is the play calling. With a couple of exceptions where Shurmur tried to get too cute with reverses and such, he's really been on his game. To me, there's as much potential for the offense to get BETTER as there is for it to regress. But then, I'm stupidly optimistic in all things Vikings, so there IS that.
I do like how Cook gives this offense flexibility in both phases. Not to mention his presence doesn't immediately signal to the defense the play call. This team will go as far as injuries and the offensive line will take them. Remmers in pass-pro and the interior line play still isn't up to snuff but they've been improved as a unit from a year ago (which isn't saying much). I am a little surprised we don't have more sacks at this point. 25th in the league with only 5. But third in rushing yards/game allowed. I'm curious what type of rotation is being used at 3-technique. Joseph has been great as usual.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Seeing the long term damage being a Vikings fan has had to our psyche is somewhat amusing.

Preseason -- Dear god we suck! Our crap offense can't score a single TD and our D is getting beat by children!

Saints -- We are an unstoppable juggernaut of offensive dominance led by the golden laser arm of Bradford!

Steelers -- Keenum is a slow reacting statue! Start Sloter!

Bucs -- Keenum is genuinely the best QB we have on the team! Who needs Bradford!

I say this in jest of course but my overall takeaway is this is a good team that can compete on any given Sunday but doesn't have the luxury to play undisciplined football. Good teams are going to have off weeks where they look downright bad (Dallas last week, Oakland this week, etc.) but the big key is winning those close games. Like those two we gave up to Detroit last year. Little errors make a big difference between an 8 and 10 win season. We're likely in for more ups and downs, particularly in the weeks to come before Bradford/Bridgewater return.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

i think the arc of the offense is most definitely trending up. they are whopping up on weaker units. the line will continue to take it's lumps as it grows.
health is obviously key...as always.

the qb situation is a complete mystery based on the two bad knees. i don't know how anyone can have legit confidence in either sam or teddy at this point. doesn't seem logical to me.

case has a similar situation as bradford in that he has played qb on historically bad teams where his play was often not the deciding factor either way....so, in the same respect as sam, this vikings team could bring out his best.

i'm hoping we don't have to know that...but my gut believes we will because he will be the healthiest/best option down the road ....

i am not a collapse optimist
FireSpieldope
Backup

Post by FireSpieldope »

dead_poet wrote: ...I mean, I guess?
Well, Keenum is less than three months younger so I guess you're, technically, correct. More upside? I'm going to go with no on that one. As far as mobility, again, sure? By a fraction? But that's not either one of their games. It's a weakness on both. Like debating the tallest midget in the room, really.
Not having a twice-surgically-repaired-knee does put a win in his column there.
I get Case had a very nice game. That's awesome. But Bradford is a better quarterback than Case Keenum, who is the owner of a sub-60% career completion percentage. You know who his stats compare to? Tarvaris Jackson. Stats don't say everything, of course, but let's not get carried away here.
I get his stats are horrible, so are Bradfords, but at the same time he's played in 24 games. Started 0-8. I thought he was a couple years younger, but having less starts and a healthier body by far, he still has more upside.

My biggest point is at this point, it scares the crap out of me to give shattered knee 20 million a year when he's never had even a playoff appearance. Sometimes it just comes down to getting it done, enough with the excuses. He's had his chances. If he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder, he'd probably be riding the bench by now. Maybe a miracle can happen and he can prove me wrong, I just don't see him as a SB winner? Do you?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Actually, we have one turnover. I think it was a David Morgan fumble against Pittsburgh, but I had pretty much fallen asleep by that point, so I don't remember for sure.
It was Thielen in the Steelers game trying to stretch for a first down on the last 4th down play.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014