Week 3 Reaction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by dead_poet »

For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.

Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Reiff, Case, Shurmer, Zimmer. All stars.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Week 3 Reaction Thread

Post by Nunin »

i can't vouche for Tampa's front 7. From the look of things the Vikes line is making strides. Detroit's D is looking fairly solid and should be another good test for this unit.
Props to Forbath for not missing a kick today.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.

Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Reiff, Case, Shurmer, Zimmer. All stars.
I would also add Keenum to this list. Much more poised, decent arm, decent accuracy. Now that we know (at least I would think so) that Keenum is our QB next week, i think can get us the win. Keenum really needs the first team reps to be ready for the game. Plus it might help Sam's injury heal faster. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I would also add Keenum to this list. Much more poised, decent arm, decent accuracy. Now that we know (at least I would think so) that Keenum is our QB next week, i think can get us the win. Keenum really needs the first team reps to be ready for the game. Plus it might help Sam's injury heal faster. :)
You'll see Keenum nestled next to Reiff up there :tongue:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Ahh there he is. Should have known you would have mentioned him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

Waynes still allowed every reception in his coverage save for the good (under thrown but still good) interception. I don't know, man. He's infuriating.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

Waynes still allowed every reception in his coverage save for the good (under thrown but still good) interception. I don't know, man. He's infuriating.
I agree. Hes one of the most frustrating players we have had recently, I dont see why people think he's a good corner. Yeah, hes average, but I think his tackling and run support are better then his coverage skills. I didnt like him, nor Alexander being picked. I think there were a ton of other options there. but whats done is done.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: I agree. Hes one of the most frustrating players we have had recently, I dont see why people think he's a good corner. Yeah, hes average, but I think his tackling and run support are better then his coverage skills. I didnt like him, nor Alexander being picked. I think there were a ton of other options there. but whats done is done.
I mean Alexander was the number one CB in football that year. So idk why you wouldn't like that pick. I don't think anyone is saying Waynes is "good" but I don't believe he's bad either.

No less you haven't even seen enough of Alexander to judge
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Was Berger injured or benched? Either way, line looked better but to be fair it was against a injury plagued defense. In any case, great to get a win when your QB is down.

All three phases played well and the team was disciplined. They'll need the same to have a shot at Detroit.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

dead_poet wrote:This kind of goes with Zimmer but only 5 penalties compared to last week's train wreck. Manageable. Disappointed to see Easton with another holding call. Same for Rhodes.

What I see with him is he is not aggressive enough on the line and in his coverage when received make cuts. I would like to see him bump a few WRs. He doesn't seem to anticipate cuts like Rhodes does, which would be fine if he was able to recover faster.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Was Berger injured or benched? Either way, line looked better but to be fair it was against a injury plagued defense. In any case, great to get a win when your QB is down.

All three phases played well and the team was disciplined. They'll need the same to have a shot at Detroit.
Injured for a few plays then returned.

Detroit looks tough. They're going to be playing angry after how they lost. Stafford has been really good so far this year.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

dead_poet wrote:For me, the offensive line was the reason we won this one. Terrible in week 2, great in week 1 and week 3.
For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

SP1966 wrote: For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!
Good point. Weren't Spence, David and McCoy healthy-ish for most of the game though?
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

SP1966 wrote: For me, the opposing defense being terrible (Saints) or without half their starters (Bucs) won those two games. Until I see this line, and offense perform well against a couple quality NFL defenses I will remain pessimistic. I've been here before, fool me once shame on you, fool me for 51 consecutive years, aren't I a dumb ####!

I don't really think the Saints D is that bad. They had 4 sacks, 3 INTs and 2 FF against an undefeated Panthers team today. I don't care what the circumstances are, there are no guarantee wins in the NFL.

At least they are showing they can pass protect and open holes, something they had a hard time doing last year.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

One thing on Keenum. In his pressers last week, he acknowledged his pocket presence was poor on a few occasions. He was very good stepping up in the pocket today.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014